Which FPS Actually Takes Skill?

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
green_dude said:
Kortney said:
That's not my point though. My point is someone who is naturally very good at Call of Duty will be good at other first person shooters when they learn them. They all involve pretty much the same skill set. Those things you mentioned are minor details when it comes to motor skill, muscle memory and coordination which account for much, much more.

And regardless, everyone is on an equal playing field. If you are the best at Call of Duty, you are very skilled. Period. If the game is so easy, then to be the best you have to manage to dominate in a game where apparently anyone can do well in.
They will, but not on the same level. The best CoD players in the world don't actually need incredible muscle memory and coordination because those things I mention reduce their importance, that is why I say it takes less skill. Sure, it takes some skill, but no where near on the level you see in the older games like Quake or CS.
I don't see how you can really say that though. I certainly found the amount of Counter Strike (albeit a small amount) I played far easier than Black Ops. I guess it depends on the person.

gunheads

Sep 6, 2010
I think day of defeat source takes skill, each weapon is hard to use to a certain extent and 2 shots will kill you, one from the rifles.

Baghram

Nov 24, 2009
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, if you take away the Adrenaline and Panzerfausts. If you were good in that game, you could take on 5 people at once and still come out alive. That is only possible because a) You are good, and b) It's harder to kill people if you are not good or avarage.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
green_dude said:
Kortney said:
green_dude said:
Kortney said:
That's not my point though. My point is someone who is naturally very good at Call of Duty will be good at other first person shooters when they learn them. They all involve pretty much the same skill set. Those things you mentioned are minor details when it comes to motor skill, muscle memory and coordination which account for much, much more.

And regardless, everyone is on an equal playing field. If you are the best at Call of Duty, you are very skilled. Period. If the game is so easy, then to be the best you have to manage to dominate in a game where apparently anyone can do well in.
They will, but not on the same level. The best CoD players in the world don't actually need incredible muscle memory and coordination because those things I mention reduce their importance, that is why I say it takes less skill. Sure, it takes some skill, but no where near on the level you see in the older games like Quake or CS.
I don't see how you can really say that though. I certainly found the amount of Counter Strike (albeit a small amount) I played far easier than Black Ops. I guess it depends on the person.
Maybe your just good? But in BlOps that doesn't exactly mean you will do well.
Agree to disagree then. I think Black Ops is way harder because there is more going on at any given time and you need to have more spacial awareness, something I'm not great at.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
higgs20 said:
none of them really take skill, if you can play one you can play another, but they all take a certain level of practice.
Someone has never played a Tribes game.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
All of the Stalker series take a good amount of skill. I mean, you kinda have to get a headshot if you're going to kill something.

bakutert

Feb 5, 2011
i think cs:s(counter-strike source),d.o.d:s(day of defeat source),and half-life 2 death match takes some skill.and maybe halo,depends on how well your familiar with f.p.s games

TheDanielG

Feb 9, 2011
Rainbow
Cogwheel said:
From what I hear, Rainbow Six is very tricky to learn.
Damn right. Even though there are third person parts on console, it's still hard as hell. And Battlefield 2 is also hard, especially when sniping from a distance because of bullet drop. COD is a bit mindless but if you play on ProMod servers, that is insanely hard. Although those guys live COD. Far Cry 2 is difficult at parts.

But the hardest has to be....

(suspense)

MINECRAFT!!

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I've barely played CS:S, for good reason. It is the dodgiest multiplayer I have EVER played, including MW2. That sniper not accurate enough? Try a pistol. Aim several feet to his right, while he moves to the left, BOOM headshot. And that isn't usually lag.

Also, I can't stand the community on it. Worse than Xbox Live in my opinion.

OT: Probably anything in any multiplayer takes some sort of skill. Even Quickscoping (which-is-an-exploit-and-must-be-treated-like-such)

RishaRight

Mar 17, 2009
I recently got into BC2 (on the xbox, my pc sucks hard) and, though I am fairly good at fps's, I found myself having a lot of trouble. I got some advice from my boyfriend, which helped, so I eventually got better, but I know I am going to be really bad whenever I try to play alone.

I also used to play CS:S a lot and I found it really easy.

archaicmalevolence

Jul 16, 2010
counter strike series
team fortress 2
swat 4
All those games really as you don't neccesarily have to be skilled to do well but being skilled is a hard thing to achieve and is good.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
FPSMaker 10.

Seriously, you need to go through education classes just to learn how to -cough-play-cough- in it.

Israirie

Apr 17, 2010
lavalamperrr said:
QuakeWorld is by far the most technically demanding FPS game.
This. Never played an FPS since which was anywhere near as difficult to master as QuakeWorld.

Baradiel said:
Also, I can't stand the community on it. Worse than Xbox Live in my opinion.
Physical impossibility. Humans do not come in worse packages than the kind you find on Xbox Live. It is the fourth Reich.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
My vote lies solidly with CoD4. MW2 was broken so very, very badly - I managed a 2.0+ career k/d with a minimum of effort (Predator+Harrier+AC130, heyoooo), and I played a lot of objective-based games where I was the only one actually trying to plant the bomb / cap the point / what-have-you. CoD4, on the other hand, requires a much slower, more tactical style of play, especially if you give a shit about winning objective-based games.

Honestly, though, all that really matters in any game that doesn't completely suck (looking at you, Gears 2; spam grenades and two-piece, you'll win every time) is situational awareness. I'm not talking about using a headset, either; that's just having another tool at your disposal, and I manage quite well without it. I'm talking about knowing the maps and learning likely actions of other players, then manipulating those actions with covering fire, various grenades, and any other tools at your disposal so as to effectively and efficiently eliminate your enemy (alliteration yay). The various Wolfensteins, UTs, CSs, TFs, Dooms, Quakes, Gears 1, all CoDs but MW2 and 2:BRO (netcode durrrr), and both BF:BCs all require this skill, and if you're good enough at keeping your shit together to do well in any of these, then with a little practice you can excel in any of the others.

...finally, in my admittedly limited experience, MoH 2010 is a campy shitfest. Just sayin'.