Which games do you think have limitless playability?

MadHatter1993

Jul 28, 2009
Also i forgot to mention, i play all the old games from Gameboy Advance, Playstation, Nintendo 64, and Super Nintendo on my HTC Evo 4G phone with emulators. but not only Emulating, but with a Wii Remote. all it cost me was Patience, Beer, and a Warranty (Rooted Phone) so now my wii remote connects to my phone via Bluetooth.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Any game that has an active modding community really. Makes for tons of re-playability.

It helps when games have multiple endings and replay value a la Chrono Trigger.

Mediteral

Apr 15, 2009
Persona 3 for me. Home is where the heart is and my heart is forever in Iwotodai Dorm while I study late in the night for the upcoming exams. I love going through the social links every time.
I'd also have to say LoZ: Majora's Mask, I'll never get tired of the clock town tune.
I'd even add metal Gear Solid 3, just cuz I think it has the best story out of the series, it can be stand-alone, the jungle has so much detail, and it was the first one I attempted the hardest difficulty on, a real challenge!

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
zehydra said:
That Greek Guy said:
left 4 dead 1 and left 4 dead 2
so...many HOURS
That AI director is amazing
I have to agree with this, so long as they're enough people online to get a game going :/
A thousand times yes. I don't really bother with L4D now that the campaigns have been ported over to L4D2, but I play L4D2 almost every night. Together with all the mods and community maps available, you've got pretty much infinite playability.

The only other game I've felt that way about is TF2. The fun of TF2 is kinda dependant on the skill/common sense of the people you're playing with though (especially if you main Medic), since it really is a "team" game; unfortunately that's become a bit of a problem of late. A lot of the more seasoned players have abandoned it. :/

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Any game with a decent story can be played loads of times. Example: Psychonauts.

Multiplayer I tend to get bored with, exactly *because* there's no goal.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
In my experience, none. No game can keep me enjoying it indefinitely. Once you've been through the story enough times, and done every side quest and piece of dialogue available, the game gets boring. Games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 were big enough to hold onto my attention for four or five playthroughs, which was a very good number, but eventually I was just playing the entire game for one character romance I hadn't done, or one achievement that I wanted. Hell, I played ME2 three times just for the 'No man left behind' achievement, and all because in the second round, Mordin suffered a sudden case of stupidity and took a bullet while holding the line. I imagine Minecraft might have what it takes to keep me interested indefinitely, but thanks to fucking Paypal I can't get Minecraft, so I don't know.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
So far I've got tf2 and Left4dead. Littlebigplanet is also great, but it get's repetitive sadface. I also keep coming back to God of War

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Super Smash Brothers Melee has amazing game play, so fluent and gives you unlimited potential to add to your skills. Well I reckon it is since it's the only game I haven't become sick of ever. So, in other words, 2001 till now.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
No game has limitless replay, except possibly tetris. I played over 400 hours of TF2, and I thought I'd never get bored of it. I did. Every time a new FPS comes out with a persistent multiplayer, I always say "I'll finish it! I'll reach max level and get all the unlocks!". I never have. I always get bored 20 to 30 hours in. I've been playing BF3 for 30+ hours and I'm already growing sick of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. I just get bored easily. Really easily. I'll play a bit more of it when the new maps are released, but I'd be surprised if I played it for more than 50 hours total. CoD games are the same: I usually play the multiplayer for about 30~35 hours then I just stop stone cold dead and never play it again. Actually, I've played MW3's multiplayer for about 8 hours and already I have no desire to go back to it.

I've put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim, but I too will stop playing those games. I haven't played Oblivions since Fallout 3, come to think of it. Final Fantasy IX is probably the only game whose single player I go back to every two years or so.

Tetris stands alone as the only game I will never stop playing.

freakylarzzy

Jan 24, 2011
star wars battlefront (1&2)
minecraft
desert bus

for multiplayer i'd say wow, i haven't played in a year or 2 but if i could get a new account or something now i'd be on it like a dog on a bone...
kinda sad really : /

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Somewhat controversially, FIFA. Every time I get a FIFA game, it clocks hours, and hours, and hours on whatever console I'm playing it on. It's just a great game to sit down and play with friends, and I always have great banter about it.

Aside from that...well, I would say Skyrim but I think it's too early to tell.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I would say anything by Adam Ryland. These are games that can get YEARS out of a single play through. By the time you've finished even one of them to 100% completion, the sun will have burnt out.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't think if I know of a single game that has LIMITLESS playability. I mean, sooner or later, I will get bored of any game and need to break for weeks, months, years, and then come back to it later. However, a few examples of games that I still can pick up and play anytime and still do to this day, I will leave out any that eventually died, even if they did offer many years.
In no particular order...
1. Doom
2. Starcraft: Brood War
3. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Hmm, I know I am missing something but I can't think of any others I still play often enough to count. Sure, I still pick up old games all the time, but not often enough to match your criteria.

TheOneMavado

Jul 3, 2011
I typically play through Mega Man 2-3 and Bionic Commando (NES version) at least once per year.

Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past also rank highly.

A always enjoy playing through Mass Effect as well. Still have yet to go through it as an Engineer, Vanguard or Sentinel.

Multiplayer?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES version) a timeless classic.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Singleplayer: Prototype. I love that game and I always know it's there if I feel like running round New York with big spikey fingers.

Multiplayer: GTA IV because it's fun to run/drive with others around...New York... maybe I just have a New York fetish or something.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Games like CoD are limitless, until the next one comes out for people to flock to.

Other than that, the Disgaea series is practically limitless with how long you'd have to play to hit the 9999 level cap.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Single/Multiplayer: Heroes of Might and Magic 3 has a map editior, random map generator and hotseat multiplayer. It's pure gold. And if that's somehow not enough, there's still Wake of Gods...

Purely single player: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines comes the closest. I've completed the game almost five times, which is a record for me, and I still feel like playing more in the near future.