Which is your favourite God?

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Lear said:
The Abrahamic God, as told by the Jewish holy texts. He was all about justice and fairness and all the good stuff, and was not afraid to punish the Hebrews multiple times for their transgressions, just as easily as He would other nations who did evil things. Love was more a tertiary thing for Him at the time.

This coming from a Christian who prefers things done Old Testament style.
I'd hardly call the God of the Old Testament just or fair, half of what he does is pretty despicable.
Almost all of the punishments He melted out were really just that, punishments for sin (When the Israelites did not listen to Him after they left Egypt, He made them wander in the desert for forty years. When the northern kingdom became too greedy and was ruled by a plutonomy, He opened the door for the Assyrians to take over as part of their conquests. When the southern kingdom started worshipping idols, He opened the door for the Babylonians to take over).

He also did do good (giving Abraham a child, saving Joseph, getting the Israelites out of Egypt, eventually allowing them to enter the land of milk and honey, saving them from Haman, and returning them to the land of milk and honey).

The only time he melted out punishment to an innocent was when he ruined Job, but that was just to win a bar bet against Satan, and Job got all his stuff back at the end.

Then eventually he went from using tough love to love, and thus begins the New Testament.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
You know actually I like my God. The God of Abraham, Jehovah, whatever you want to call him, I love God and I once had a philosophical talk with my dad in which the end came out to basically "God is as powerful as you can imagine him" so pretty much my God is...well see the catholic Bible (take into account context and social advancement since then) and add in the simplified wording 'All powerful, all knowing" and you get pretty much what I like about him.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I pick Hadad. He is an almighty rain god from Asia minor, and because he has nothing interesting on his table, I am sure that he would gladly accept my sacrificial goat offering in exchange for his support in my upcoming physics exams.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Lear said:
Lear said:
The Abrahamic God, as told by the Jewish holy texts. He was all about justice and fairness and all the good stuff, and was not afraid to punish the Hebrews multiple times for their transgressions, just as easily as He would other nations who did evil things. Love was more a tertiary thing for Him at the time.

I'd hardly call the God of the Old Testament just or fair, half of what he does is pretty despicable.
Almost all of the punishments He melted out were really just that, punishments for sin (When the Israelites did not listen to Him after they left Egypt, He made them wander in the desert for forty years. When the northern kingdom became too greedy and was ruled by a plutonomy, He opened the door for the Assyrians to take over as part of their conquests. When the southern kingdom started worshipping idols, He opened the door for the Babylonians to take over).

He also did do good (giving Abraham a child, saving Joseph, getting the Israelites out of Egypt, eventually allowing them to enter the land of milk and honey, saving them from Haman, and returning them to the land of milk and honey).

The only time he melted out punishment to an innocent was when he ruined Job, but that was just to win a bar bet against Satan, and Job got all his stuff back at the end.
A god who makes a bet with the devil that the devil can't make his most devout follower curse his name, sounds like a real winner. He allows his livestock as well as his home and family to be destroyed, and then tells him to shut up when he complains about it because he's an insignificant little twerp. Gotta love that, hehehe.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Dionysus, Ancient Greek God of Grape Harvest, Wine-making, Wine, Ritual Madness and Ecstasy, Legend states that he created Amethyst, my favourite gemstone, the tale goes that Dionysus, also the god of intoxication, was pursuing a maiden named Amethystos, who refused his affections. Amethystos prayed to the gods to remain chaste, a prayer which the goddess Artemis answered, transforming her into a white stone. Humbled by Amethystos's desire to remain chaste, Dionysus poured wine over the stone as an offering, dyeing the crystals purple. Amethystos means "not drunken" and wine glasses were made out of amethyst to avoid getting drunk.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
JonnyHG said:
Lear said:
Lear said:

A god who makes a bet with the devil that the devil can't make his most devout follower curse his name, sounds like a real winner. He allows his livestock as well as his home and family to be destroyed, and then tells him to shut up when he complains about it because he's an insignificant little twerp. Gotta love that, hehehe.
Your missing the point of the Book of Job. In a way, to scoff at what happened in the Old Testament isn't really smart. It's not that your offending me or incurring the wrath of God, it's that the point is being missed. All the stories of God's wrath on the Israelites are the same as any morality tale; do something bad, get punished. Do good and have faith, you get rewarded. It is meant to instill a sense that there is justice in the universe and a little optimism pays off. And as little as that shows and exists in these cynical, corporate dominated days, it's something.

And besides, Satan started the bet, and God won. Then Job got his stuff back at the end. Whole thing played out like a Greek tragedy minus the, well, tragedy (Job lived).

Dec 27, 2010
Lear said:

Then eventually he went from using tough love to love, and thus begins the New Testament.
What about the flooding of the world, destroying almost every living being on the planet? What about the complete destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, children and all? What about the disasters inflicted on the Pharaoh of Egypt because, after being lied to by Abram, took Sarai as a wife believing she was merely Abram's sister? There may be occasional lapses where the vengeance he inflicts upon his followers could be interpreted as love driven, but it's undeniable there is quite a lot of injustice there.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Lear said:

What about the flooding of the world, destroying almost every living being on the planet? What about the complete destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, children and all? What about the disasters inflicted on the Pharaoh of Egypt because, after being lied to by Abram, took Sarai as a wife believing she was merely Abram's sister? There may be occasional lapses where the vengeance he inflicts upon his followers could be interpreted as love driven, but it's undeniable there is quite a lot of injustice there.
Egypt: God was slow to anger. He started small and moved up to worse and worse to free the Israelites from a very harsh and oppressive slavery; Moses himself killed a slavedriver when he was prince, having watched the slavedriver brutally beat a slave.

Sodom and Gommorrah: Two wicked cities wiped off the face of the Earth here. There's no detail given, but considering the worship of Baal in the area, child sacrifice was probably commited by the residents, and really there would have to be A LOT of wickness there to be wiped off the face of the Earth; Ninevah was given a second chance by God through Jonah. And there is actually explicit reference to children dying in the Egypt scenario, and most there were likely teenagers. Nothing about children in Sodom or Gommorah.

The Great Flood: Please consult the tales of the Hindu goddess Shiva, and the mythology of Sekhemet, then get back to me. God isn't the only one atributed to a great catastrophe.

Abram/Sarai: Wording wasn't clear. But God had NOTHING to do with the events around them. Abram took Hagar as a concubine to have a son, Ishmael, but then God gave Sarai a son with Abram, Isaac, so Abram threw Hagar and Ishmael out into the desert without provocation or any demands from God. No reason to bring that up.

ZleazyA

Aug 23, 2010
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Cthulu fhtagn!
All hail Cthulu!