Whisky

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Dimple is pretty good, yes.

Anything produced by Glennfiddich (spelling?) is excellent.
Glenlivet 12 is pretty good too, if you want a single malt that is not too expensive.

If you want a good blended whiskey, try Maker's Mark.

Stay away from anything Johnny Walker produced, unless it is blue lable or upwards. That stuff gives me headaches.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Exterminas said:
Dimple is pretty good, yes.

Anything produced by Glennfiddich (spelling?) is excellent.
Glenlivet 12 is pretty good too, if you want a single malt that is not too expensive.

If you want a good blended whiskey, try Maker's Mark.

Stay away from anything Johnny Walker produced, unless it is blue lable or upwards. That stuff gives me headaches.
200 dollars for a blend is not something I'm willing to accept. No Johnny Walker for me.
Not really a fan of the corn taste in Maker's Mark. I don't believe it's a blend though, just bourbon.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I like my Four-Roses Single Barrel Selects

They are aged 12 years in seasoned oak barrels (seasonings include rose hips, thus the name). They usually end up in the 100-120 proof range with an amazing flavor.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Recently got some bruichladdich. The brine taste was something that I wasn't used to but I am now a fan.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
barbzilla said:

They are aged 12 years in seasoned oak barrels (seasonings include rose hips, thus the name). They usually end up in the 100-120 proof range with an amazing flavor.
I've never heard of these. Sounds interesting and caske strength is always a good sign.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Well being sixteen I never really drink but I had some whiskey and coke at my sisters party last weekend and it was nice.
Not entirely sure why I bothered typing this post.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Sober Thal said:

Good whisky. I don't always drink the hard stuff, but when I do, I drink some good Irish shit.

Sip it, it's not a race.
I'll say it again. If you like Irish whiskey, try Red Breast. An excellent example of pure pot still whiskey.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Jarsh82 said:
barbzilla said:

I've never heard of these. Sounds interesting and caske strength is always a good sign.
Since I tend to like American Whiskeys I tend to always go for the single barrels. The Four-Roses caught my eye because they hand label the barrel number, the cask strength, and which warehouse it came from right on the bottle. This way if you find a particular barrel to your liking you can hunt down more from its yield.

To the OP: you will find as many Whiskey nuts as you will Wine connoisseurs.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Famous Grouse (in particular the Black Grouse they do) is actually very nice. Chivas Regal is lovely stuff, but a bit more expensive.

I'm almost exclusively a scotch whiskey drinker. Never been much of a fan of Irish whiskey (at least, when not used as an ingredient in Baileys!) and American whiskey is just weird.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I'm very partial to Scotch, Irish is okay, I'll have American if there's nothing else. As a rule of thumb, single malt is better than blended and if you pay less than £10 or equivilant for a 1 litre bottle, its not worth it. I would say that real whisky is best neat, although I will tend to have american whisky on ice. I wish I were rich enough to be able to have whisky more often...

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Kendarik said:
Jarsh82 said:
Anyone here a whisky drinker? If so what's your favorite brand or region.
I enjoy a nice scotch, although I don't drink often enough to have a favorite.

Canadian style whisky (with the gold standard being Crown Royal) is but it doesn't touch scotch. It's better mixed, where as the scotch is better straight up.

American whisky can be better described as battery acid and I have no idea why anyone would drink it.
I haven't found a grain whiskey/bourbon that I care for. They're all too sweet.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Being a non-drinker, I don't care for whiskey, but I'm fairly certain I've had some before.

Also, it is my understanding that Irish people bleed the stuff.