Whisky

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Hmm let's see, for just simple drinking, or for mixing, I do enjoy some Jack Daniel's.

When I want to spend some more money and move up to Scotch, however, I enjoy the Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, or Talisker.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Kendarik said:
Jarsh82 said:
Kendarik said:
Jarsh82 said:
Anyone here a whisky drinker? If so what's your favorite brand or region.
I enjoy a nice scotch, although I don't drink often enough to have a favorite.

Canadian style whisky (with the gold standard being Crown Royal) is but it doesn't touch scotch. It's better mixed, where as the scotch is better straight up.

American whisky can be better described as battery acid and I have no idea why anyone would drink it.
Interstingly alot of the rye component is actually from american distilleries and shipped up north where it is cut with grain whiskey. I haven't found a grain whiskey/bourbon that I care for. They're all too sweet.
A good portion of Canadian whiskey no longer contains rye (oddly they can call it "rye whiskey" even if it includes 0% rye). It's also my understanding that any whiskey called a Canadian Whiskey must be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, so I'm not sure where you get the idea US rye whiskey is a component of Canadian whiskey.

Oh, also most Canadian whiskey is corn based, not grain based.
I attempted to edit my post after I had posted it. I misundertood a source.
Grain Whiskey is used interchangeably with corn whiskey.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Jarsh82 said:
Kendarik said:
Jarsh82 said:
Kendarik said:
Jarsh82 said:
Anyone here a whisky drinker? If so what's your favorite brand or region.
I enjoy a nice scotch, although I don't drink often enough to have a favorite.

Canadian style whisky (with the gold standard being Crown Royal) is but it doesn't touch scotch. It's better mixed, where as the scotch is better straight up.

American whisky can be better described as battery acid and I have no idea why anyone would drink it.
Interstingly alot of the rye component is actually from american distilleries and shipped up north where it is cut with grain whiskey. I haven't found a grain whiskey/bourbon that I care for. They're all too sweet.
A good portion of Canadian whiskey no longer contains rye (oddly they can call it "rye whiskey" even if it includes 0% rye). It's also my understanding that any whiskey called a Canadian Whiskey must be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, so I'm not sure where you get the idea US rye whiskey is a component of Canadian whiskey.

Oh, also most Canadian whiskey is corn based, not grain based.
I attempted to edit my post after I had posted it. I misundertood a source.
Grain Whiskey is used interchangeably with corn whiskey.

It was in referance to the Lawrenceburg distillery being owned by Angostura World Brands and the Mash reciepe being the same in the US and Canada. Looking back I'm not sure if this is true or just forum hearsay. I came across this when researching a "craft" brand of rye and discovering that Lawrenceburg distills a number of Rye reciepes and sells them to various bottling companys who then brand them as "craft."

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
jack n coke when i drink usually, if i am feeling a tad more top shelf crown royal, and anything beyond that not tried much. i do like my battery acid american whiskey however. much perfer that to well anything else when i do drink.

had actual scotch once when i was very young, think i had it straight up and no idea what kind it was but it was awful.

tho maybe at some point i will have to track down the recommendations in this thread to try.

Dr_Matt

Aug 28, 2009
Huge drinker of the stuff, although it does prove to be an expensive habit. I have a number of favourites, although I am consistently a fan of Speysides, especially Benromach.

Old Pulteney is also a fantastic one (although I wasn't as impressed with the current 12 year old - the 17 year old is better, and is basically the old 12 year old). I'm not a big fan of the smoke in the Islays, but do like the maritime character. Scapa is another one that falls into this category

Jarsh82 said:
Ardbeg Uieadail is definitely on my to do list this year.
I'd recommend the Ardbeg Corryvreckan as well.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I like sipping whikey and watching a movie or playing a game (board or TV/PC) but am too young to know too much about them so yet only tasted the cheap ones, but I like those too like Jameson and FamousGrouce.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
14 Year old Scapa is the lord.

Anybody who has said Jack Daniels so far... I'm not going to go on my usual rant, but I will say that I disagree with the idea of JD putting the name "Whiskey" on their bottle.

That said, I generally disagree with all Whiskeys, as well as any Blended Whiskies... Yeah, I'm a pretentious snob when it comes to this topic.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Not much of a connoiseur, but do enjoy some of the more expensive commercial single-malts, such as Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich. Once upon a time, I enjoyed Bowmore, but it's a bit potent for me these days.

Also partial to a drop of Jameson's when the mood takes me.

Johnnie Walker is the pick of the blended whiskies for me. As for Bourbon - only with coke, which is a pretty poor endorsement.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I like the old smoky scottish single malts, like a 18 year old glenlivet or the like, but nothing too peaty. I don't really have a favourite, since it's all too expensive to buy regularly. Usually I'm quite happy with Southern Comfort.

Oh and I like the cheapest blended stuff in my coffee, especially if I have a cold. It is the best medicine for a sore throat.

Dr_Matt

Aug 28, 2009
Stu35 said:
That said, I generally disagree with all Whiskeys, as well as any Blended Whiskies...
I'm generally inclined to agree, although there are a few higher-end blends that I'll enjoy when in the right mood. Have you tried any of the Compass Box blends? Can't hold a candle to most single malts, but they're certainly interesting.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
Big Whisky fan here; Just had a tasting evening at my place (4 people, everyone has to bring some Whisky to share). An awesome evening in which we sampled Whisky(ey)s from:

Scotland
Johnnie Walker Black (the least liked)
10 yr Laphroaig
10 yr Glenmorangie
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
15 yr Glenkinchie

Ireland
12 yr Red Breast

New Zealand
10 yr Milford

All in all very good with the Red Breast, Quinta Ruban, Glenkinchie and Laphroaig being the ones that required multiple tastings.

Anyway I always suggest people interested in trying Whisky give Glenfiddich 12 yr a go - its not too expensive and gives a good indication to the drinker as to whether this is something they would like to try more of (Islay ones are probably the most dangerous as they are a love-em or hate-em prospect but could turn a newbie off whisky entirely).