Whisky

FireCoroner

Jun 28, 2010
Being Irish, I am compelled to give every whiskey a shot.

But I would urge anyone who drinks J.D. neat to just try sipping on a Jameson. I know that Jack is more iconic, cooler looking bottle, etc; but it was only when I got used to the taste of whiskey that I realised that Jameson is much smoother and mellower. Jack (which used to be my staple whiskey) just seems a bit to harsh for me now. Maybe the harshness is a selling point; I don't know.

If you're willing to spend a few more quid, the aged Jamesons are quite nice. Hennessy's Cognac is delicious for sipping and I also find Jim Beam Black quite palatable.

It's all a matter of preference.
Don't simply pick one whiskey as a teenager and stick to it forever.
Your palate isn't fully developed until much later and you may not know what you're missing out on.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Currently got a bottle of Jura 10yr open, very nice although not as good as some of their others in my opinion.
I've got an odd habit of collecting my empty whisky bottles as well, got a cupboard full of them (only keep unique ones though, so no duplicates).

Love all of the Islay distilleries, that smokey taste, so damn good.
Oh and Talisker! Especially as that's one I've visited.

Jack Daniels on the other hand is one of the most disgusting alcoholic drinks I've ever tried..

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
I'm rather a fan :) My particular favourite at the moment is a Balvenie signature - very smooth, goes down a treat!

EDIT: OH! And the sherry cask Glen Morangie! Almost forgot :)

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Being 16, I probably shouldn't drink as much Whisky as I do, but as it happens, I do enjoy a nice glass every now and then. I had a bottle of Grants in the cupboard. I drink it straight, of course.

Now, the real question is are my parents bad people for letting me have Whisky?

Olyver

Apr 30, 2010
Headdrivehardscrew said:
There's no right answer to this one, really.

The more you know, the more complicated things seem to get.

I started out liking especially the smoky, strong flavoured ones. Oban, Talisker, the like.

I still like those, pure, or with a bit of water, or with an ice cube. Sometimes a tumbler does the trick, sometimes an oversized cognac glass or even a 'branded' glass seems to be the best fit.

http://www.design42day.com/uploads/2008/11/Cognac-Glass-Rikke-Hagen-2.jpg
fig. 1: not every glass is made equal

Sometimes the glass isn't all about nose, physics, air and the nose-mouth sensations. Sometimes a glass just adds looks and texture that make the taste (and that ice cube you couldn't resist adding) pop out.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4249508910_fe8be7baf2.jpg
fig. 2: some glasses are so awesome they haven't changed shape, size or colour in sixty years. (Iittala - Ultima Thule)

Currently, I like 'light' whiskeys.. take Glenmorangie, for example. On a hot day, it goes well with plenty of ice cubes, some Aperol and some lemon juice.

Then there's the affordable option of, say, something like Thamdu. It delivers complex fruity and spicy flavours at a low price.

Then there's the rare and strange stuff... some of which you might only bump into once in per lifetime. If you like whisky and whiskey, I suggest you go to tasting sessions, take part in any promotional event that suits your fancy and find friends that share the passion, as that makes whiskey so much more fun.

'Bourbon' - For years, we always had a gallon bottle of Jack Daniels around. When we stopped drinking Coke/Pepsi/carbonated wee, we somehow also stopped drinking Jack Daniels. Don't get me wrong - it's a good mixer. But, depending on how you drink whiskey, if you mix them or drink them pure or cook with them - you just find the ones that suit the purpose, any given purpose, better than others.

As for drinking pure - I've developed a taste for Japanese Whiskey lately. Nice bottles, good products... and a century of experience, who'd have thunk?
Well said.There aren't many single malts I won't drink and to each their own. But at the moment it is Oban 14 for special occasions, and Glennfiddich 12 for whenever I want a drink... Neat, always.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Walker Gold, Dimple 15, Chivas 12 or 18 (haven't had the chance for 21 yet) and Ardmore...
I'm looking forward to trying a Yamazaki soon....
Between me and the other Eastern Euro's, we've tried most of the spirits at Dan Murphy's, so we've got Glenlivet and Glenfiddich as well in that mix, a few others.

Yes what I drink is expensive and really really good....I save money and get good shit. I'm only a spirits drinker.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
That I am and sadly enough I am simply not wealthy enough to be all to picky about it. I know Jack D is decent not fantastic but respectable and sadly my knowledge end at that as I have had under 10 (perhaps 5-7totsl) craft whiskeys.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I'm definitely one for Scotch, though I don't drink particularly often so I've only tried a handful of varieties. I definitely prefer single malts to blended whisky (the only blended I've tried and liked is Johnny Walker Black). My favourite so far would probably have to be Glenfiddich (I've tried 12, 15 and 18 year old).

On the non-Scotch front, I'm always partial to the tried-and-tested Jack and Coke. It may not be particularly sophisticated, but it's both ubiquitous enough and pleasant enough to be a staple of most of my nights out, especially in establishments lacking a decent selection of Scotch.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
irish whiskey is the best you can go.

Also this
http://newspaper.li/static/f4e8748918aa30f8db4ce4e271187f09.png

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Anyone have experience with the Ardbeg Supernova or Octomore. Im curious about those 100plus ppms

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Canadian Mist is really the only one I am familiar with. Usually mixed with 7up. Tastes pretty good.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
dogstile said:
I drink Fireball, tastes nice, goes down smooth. Definitely would recommend it.
At a Mongolian barbecue place (Genghis Grill) I had what they call a Blue Fire, Blue moon mixed with Fireball. The creamy citrus Belgian style whit bier and cinnamon whiskey go quite well together.

Anyway, I've mainly drank bourbon so far and I quite love it, even polished off a half a bottle of some of the cheap stuff (bout $25) and still quite enjoyed it. Only foreign stuff I've tried was a shot of Jameson's this one time, 'twasn't bad but I still prefer bourbon. I guess you could call my taste's unrefined. Also enjoyed what was essentially a Jack and coke slush from this Icehouse my family frequents.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Res Plus said:
I have gone off whiskey sadly but I do like Courvoisier congac.
I recently tried some from a bottle that was at least 25 years old at my brother's birthday party. I quite liked it but apparently I don't drink it right. I tend to drink most drinks pretty fast be they hard or soft, so my brother's friend made me hold some in my mouth for about a minute. Honestly it did not make much of a difference in the taste, bu it was still quite lovely. Probably the oldest drink I've had, next to some Ouzo that was a little older, though I would say I prefer the Ouzo.