Whisky

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
I'm a Jack Daniels man. I'm from Tennessee, what do you expect? And Jack and Coke is just awesome.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
My only experience with Jack Daniels was when it was in a "Three Wise Men"
Not very wise.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I really like whiskey but I don't drink it regularly enough to have a particular taste. But I can generally taste the difference you get with price point.

I prefer Scotch but I'll drink Irish.
I'm not a fan of bourbon to be honest.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I live in Canada, so that might factor in my taste.

I am a big whisky drinker, and my favorite is Gibsons. Although I really like Canadian Club also lately. I am not overly picky on my whiskey, but I do appreciate the subtle differences in the brands. So all in all Canadian whisky tends to be my favorite.

I drink whiskey with water usually and sometimes straight, for the record.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Only ever had Jack Daniels. Was taking quite a few shots of it the last time I drank. I am one classy dude.

Ingjald

Nov 17, 2009
I do enjoy my whisky. The jaoanese ones are pretty nice; 10 year old Yamazaki in particular (they take after the scots). Broke open a bottle of 12 year old cask strength (57,9%) Lagavulin for my 25th the other weekend, which is now finding itself at the top of my list of awesome whiskies.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
whiskey is my favorite liquid. I realy dont have any favorites but I divide them in to two groups. "the party whiskey" it´s just boils down to the one that´s cheapest :p and the "fancy drinking at home" one and it´s often the one that tastes like liking on a newly tared wooden boat that has just burned down

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I loves me some Whiskey.

Mainly I tend to drink Jameson. I prefer the 12 year but I don't demand it.
If I can't find Jameson I'll drink Bushmills.
I also rather enjoy Kilbeggan but I don't drink it quite as often as it seems to be difficult to find.

As you can tell I tend to prefer the Irish whiskeys. I'll drink Talisker (Signle Malt Scotch) if it's offered but won't buy it myself.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
FURY_007 said:
I do like myself a glass of Jameson on the rocks
A man after my own heart.

I loves me some Jamesons, I'm also quite fond of bourbon whiskies and good scotch whisky, I'm not bothered if it's single malt or not so long as it tastes good.

Glenmorangie is a good single malt but rather expensive for me, Whyte & Mackay is fairly affordable and blended but oh so good.

Old Pultney is absolutely fantastic too if you can get your hands on it though I've not seen it often in England. The same distillery makes really nice liquers too.

To be honest I'll drink anything though, not fussy with my poison.

Except laphroag. That stuff is nasty.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
xplosive59 said:
I need to drink more whisky, I prefer it to pretty much any other alcoholic drink but most pubs I know only sell Jack Daniels (which I love) and is too expensive in shops.
The nearest pub to me ahs a selection of around 40 different whiskies at any one time, as well as your generic piss water like grouse or grants.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Big fan of fireball. It's not got a rich taste and it isn't sophisticated but the the cinnamon taste with a nice hot kick at the end cannot be beaten for me. Also you can mix it with a lot to make some delicious drinks. For example, fireball and either apple juice for a cool drink or if you want something nice and warm, have it with hot chocolate

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Has any of you tried Laphroaig? It's a single malt scotch with a VERY strong smoke-like flavour.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am, but not so much so that I'd say I have a favourite. The most expensive type I have drunk is Glenfiddich, which was fairly nice, but considering it's price, not nice enough.

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
prophecy2514 said:
Jarsh82 said:
A good single malt and mumford and sons go very well together.

I like the cut of your jib sir. Cheers!
Gentlepeople, I salute your good taste.

Personally, I am all about the Highland scotches. I recently got to taste a 31-yr old from the Glenlivet distillery, it was spectacular.

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker, Jim Beam, Chivers Regal...

These are liquids that I wouldn't give to a prisoner on death row.

Once you have had a cask strength, single malt, single barrel bottling, nothing commercial will taste as good. The last one I had was called "Not For Wusses". And indeed, that was truthful. 69.0% with a very smokey, peaty taste. An incredibly good scotch with a touch of pure water. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to get it again. Alas, the problem with single bottlings.

If anyone is a serious scotch drinker, or wants to expand their knowledge a little, I'd say go to a tasting session with the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Essentially, their tasting panel travels around the distilleries in Scotland and elsewhere, picking the finest whiskys the can find and buying the barrel to bottle purely for society members. Part of the deal is they don't say where the whisky came from, so they use a numbering system and give each bottling a funky name like "Not For Wusses", "Mint Humbug" or "Sugared Almonds In A Mattress Factory".

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
There's no right answer to this one, really.

The more you know, the more complicated things seem to get.

I started out liking especially the smoky, strong flavoured ones. Oban, Talisker, the like.

I still like those, pure, or with a bit of water, or with an ice cube. Sometimes a tumbler does the trick, sometimes an oversized cognac glass or even a 'branded' glass seems to be the best fit.

http://www.design42day.com/uploads/2008/11/Cognac-Glass-Rikke-Hagen-2.jpg
fig. 1: not every glass is made equal

Sometimes the glass isn't all about nose, physics, air and the nose-mouth sensations. Sometimes a glass just adds looks and texture that make the taste (and that ice cube you couldn't resist adding) pop out.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4249508910_fe8be7baf2.jpg
fig. 2: some glasses are so awesome they haven't changed shape, size or colour in sixty years. (Iittala - Ultima Thule)

Currently, I like 'light' whiskeys.. take Glenmorangie, for example. On a hot day, it goes well with plenty of ice cubes, some Aperol and some lemon juice.

Then there's the affordable option of, say, something like Thamdu. It delivers complex fruity and spicy flavours at a low price.

Then there's the rare and strange stuff... some of which you might only bump into once in per lifetime. If you like whisky and whiskey, I suggest you go to tasting sessions, take part in any promotional event that suits your fancy and find friends that share the passion, as that makes whiskey so much more fun.

'Bourbon' - For years, we always had a gallon bottle of Jack Daniels around. When we stopped drinking Coke/Pepsi/carbonated wee, we somehow also stopped drinking Jack Daniels. Don't get me wrong - it's a good mixer. But, depending on how you drink whiskey, if you mix them or drink them pure or cook with them - you just find the ones that suit the purpose, any given purpose, better than others.

As for drinking pure - I've developed a taste for Japanese Whiskey lately. Nice bottles, good products... and a century of experience, who'd have thunk?