WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
He was kicked out and sent to his father. He was brand new to the area.
Doesn't preclude friends. Oh wait, it totally does. Because ponies.

In fact, I don't see you showing any evidence that trayvon was out for friends.
Because I was questioning an already given rationale, one you're trying to play both sides on. Sweet. I can see you're going to spend a lot of time harping on Trayvon being a "thug" and whatnot, because screw honesty.

badpun

Apr 4, 2010
I'm just enjoying the comic for what it is: an obvious parody that I find funny.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Alek_the_Great said:
Is this a joke about how when people complain about people randomly making white characters black simply because you feel like there needs to be more black characters? Oh yeah, nice joke about Zimmerman. I'm sure he definitely pulled his gun for no reason whatsoever, it's not like Trayvon was beating the ever loving shit out of him. Also, isn't Zimmerman NOT EVEN FULLY WHITE (you know, that whole "hispanic" thing he has going on)? That pretty much invalidates the entire joke actually.
Zimmerman was never actually beaten. That was proven to be false testimony in the trial.

Also, yay! So many people are mad. Good job Grey.
It was also proven in the trial that race had absolutely nothing to do with the incident, and yet here we all are. :3

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Trayvon was suspended during that time. Wouldn't be making friends at the school.
Of course! And since school is the only place you can ever make friends, especially as a teen!

Not only that, but iyts nice to know your entire evidence is:

"Well, they didn't say his friend in the area DIDN'T exist."
They didn't address the issue you claimed to be demonstrating, period. But I'm glad you're so quick to lie about me. Makes it easier to walk away from this convo. I don't have time to be lied to or about.

Efrath

Apr 5, 2010
Stevepinto3 said:
I think the fact that this has already hit over 500 comments shows just how right Grey and Cory are here. Yes it's blatantly absurd but that's often at the heart of satire, and as for whether or not it was well done or accurate is open to your own interpretation.

It's the fact that this comic got so much attention as opposed to so many topics on other issues like race or gender. And yes this was designed to be particularly inflammatory, but even then it's central premise is that "there are white dudes that act like dicks about race/gender while pretending they're the ones being discriminated against". Is that really so damn hard to agree with?
I think the thing that annoys some or a lot of people is that the comic basically is portraying an attitude seemingly common in most debates. Fact of the matter is, people are dicks, no matter their race and gender. When it comes to debates regarding gender and race however, being a white male debating on the "Other side" usually leads to people immediately dismissing your claims, points and so forth solely because of your gender and race.

Which I personally think is quite ironic really and furthermore, it does mean that yes, discrimination happens on both sides. Being a minority doesn't magically make any forth of racism nor sexism any more right than that of the majority and to pardon such behaviour would really just lead to further gaps between genders and races rather than uniting them.

Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that dismissing someone based on their gender sorta makes it difficult for said opposition to accept your ideas? Not to mention that feminism, just like any other ideology, is not perfect and I personally believe it's not healthy to make any ideology immune to criticism.

But yeah, in short, some peeps do get tired of having their opinions ignored and disregarded solely because of their race and gender and this comic sorta reflects that, hence why some get upset.

(Naturally, there are of course actual people whom are alike the guys in the comic, I wasn't trying to say that there aren't, just hoping to help bring some understanding why it upsets some, outside of those that are actually like that)

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
eljacko said:
Oh what the hell? What the hell is this comic? Seriously? You guys think this comic is accurate? That it's slinging hard truths? Are you really, by some unfathomable mental gymnastics, able to rationalize it as anything other than a strawman argument based on offensive stereotypes?

And for fuck's sake, stop bringing up "euphoric". The quote that came from was a parody to begin with.
The problem is that the stereotype, singular, is a correct one. The stereotype is brought into a single focus of the self-proclaimed 'White Heterosexual Male Minority'. The group that takes up language and social lessons from Jersey Shore; proclaimed Zimmerman a hero for "taking down a criminal minority" (without facts, just one-sided pandering); that treat women as objects of sexual nature only; treats minorities as lower class racists against the "white minority"; and feels threatened from homosexuality.

That stereotype can be summed up as: The MTV viewers. :p

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
RPGxMadness said:
Gizen said:
Monxeroth said:
Oooh, is this the strawman game? Please tell me its the strawman game.
[Strawman]

>New Game
>Load
>Options
>Exit

Yes! It is!

[Would you like to play?]
Damn right i would!

[snip]
I see your fake Shortpacked! comic and raise you a real one.

I'll raise you a tumblr http://shittywebcomics.tumblr.com/

AND its Strawpacked tags http://shittywebcomics.tumblr.com/tagged/strawpacked ...

:p
Yeah, I think the comic I linked is better than the ones you have, since it's clear just from a glance that you don't actually understand what a strawman argument is.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MuffinMan74 said:
Master of the Skies said:
eljacko said:
Oh what the hell? What the hell is this comic? Seriously? You guys think this comic is accurate? That it's slinging hard truths? Are you really, by some unfathomable mental gymnastics, able to rationalize it as anything other than a strawman argument based on offensive stereotypes?

And for fuck's sake, stop bringing up "euphoric". The quote that came from was a parody to begin with.
Who said it was accurate and slinging hard truths? I've read the entire thread, but I started this morning so maybe I missed that part.

I'd say it takes a bit more mental gymnastics to think this comic was actually meant to be an argument as opposed to just mocking parody.

The comic is basically on the same level as this

I don't recall a calm and smart person in the comic.

For that matter, I don't recall there being any strong, controversial point beyond "white defenders are silly, let's point and laugh at them". You need a stronger (and two-sided) point to apply your comic's logic to it.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
MuffinMan74 said:
I think I put at least as much effort into this than the original comic. Maybe more.
"Guys, guys! This comic is trying to say that certain white guys derail discussions of privilege by appealing to an irrelevant sense of persecution or to a sense of personal authority in order to try and undermine or de-legitimate the opinions of others without actually countering their arguments!

You know what I'm going to do guys! I'm going to parody that comic by expressing a sense of irrelevant persecution, appealing to a presumed authority and trying to undermine or de-legitimate the opinions of others without actually countering their arguments! Irony shield activate!"

I think I put at least as much effort into this as your post. No wait, what the fuck am I saying. I didn't put any effort into that at all, because it was incredibly obvious.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
MuffinMan74 said:
lacktheknack said:
The black guy.
lacktheknack said:
For that matter, I don't recall there being any strong, controversial point
The black guy is defending a loaded question.
Is he even defending it? More like he's retelling an anecdote of a time when he asked the question and got an unsatisfactory answer.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Jeez, I wake up to this.

For all the baiting the comic did it was nothing compared to the first 5 pages of passive aggressive baiting by posters.

So well done for rallying behind site content to mock others of an opposing point of view.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MuffinMan74 said:
lacktheknack said:
MuffinMan74 said:
Master of the Skies said:
eljacko said:

Who said it was accurate and slinging hard truths? I've read the entire thread, but I started this morning so maybe I missed that part.

I'd say it takes a bit more mental gymnastics to think this comic was actually meant to be an argument as opposed to just mocking parody.

The comic is basically on the same level as this
The black guy.
lacktheknack said:
For that matter, I don't recall there being any strong, controversial point
The black guy is defending a loaded question.
He said one thing, did no actual defending, and then tried to leave. That's not a true counterpoint to the White Guy Defense Force stooges.

And you know as well as I do that the subject that the black guy was talking about was NOT the point of the comic. To imply it was is to be entirely disingenuous.