White People are... Better?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011

Since the book Guns, Germs, and Steel has already been recommended so many times and I live in the US so the OP probably has an irrational hatred for me, I have nothing to add to this topic except for that gif.

White people are clearly the best dancers.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
Wow. Not even close. Not even in the same ballpark. Not even in the same country! No. Just, no.
I'd call dropping nuclear weapons on innocent men, women and children akin to genocide--just on a much smaller scale. Areas of Japan are still fucked from it; birth defects, cancers and disease still claim lives. Watched a sad documentary about it a few weeks ago on The Discovery Channel. They interviewed a woman who was a child when it happened. The U.S. wanted to know what the radiation would do to humans, especially children, so they organized "medical research" teams to go over and "help." She vividly recalled being inspected and made to take her clothes off in front of a room full of men. Disgusting stuff, really.

One of the many reasons I hate the U.S. with all of my tiny, black heart, lol.[/quote]Wait! You're absolutely right! I remember when I dropped two Nuclear bombs onto Japan, and when I made that little girl strip for Science! I'm a terrible person! Also, I hate Italy because of the Crusades! And I hate Europe for Colonizing America and Africa!
Please, stop generalizing. They didn't give a vote to every person who was and ever will be in the U.S , to make those decisions.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Just as a word of warning, this topic, along with the question, "Why have the Jews been targeted all throughout history?" Will get you into trouble if you ask it in history class.
Believe me. I know.

But on topic, if you look at where white people originated from, it's not a very large area compared to the rest of the world. Limited space and resources resulted in a lot more fighting and being kniving bastards. (The Poms didnt rule the world by being nice.)

captcha: die-hard. It should be "kill-hard."

Edit: Not anti-Jewish. I really didnt know. I was 14 at the time.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
I never realized it was this much of a difference. How did it turn out this way? Am I imagining things?
Try reading Jared Diamond's Guns,Germs,and Steel for an interesting idea on why this is so.
Simplistically the answer is easy, the past was a shitload more violent than today. So the path to success was to be the most successful in warfare. Europeans were the best back then.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
SciMal said:
BNguyen said:
The European groups existed in Europe during the ice age and developed at over 100 times faster than everywhere else except the Chinese who developed paper and explosives before everyone. Why is it that these two areas developed so much better than everywhere else?
Because we didn't invent shit.

Arabic numbers, Roman Numerals, Calculus, Algebra, Geometry, Metallurgy...

None of these are "European."

We took the inventions of others and applied them, just like China and India are doing right now. It's easy to take an idea that already works and improve upon it.

Is it because these areas had some sort of unifying factor while the rest of the world suffered from conditions that caused divisions?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Unifying factor? Have you LOOKED at a map of Europe? Does it look like there was a unifying factor?

Petty wars broke out ALL the time. The largest unifying factor Europe ever had was Rome, and Romans weren't caucasians so they're evidence against the OP's thesis.
I never said the Europeans invented anything like that, just that that area of the world seemed to develop faster than other areas. And to the point, I said the Chinese developed paper and gun powder. Every group in the world utilized imperialism in one form or another to get ahead but the Europeans were able to do it better and faster, why, because large portions of the people like the Franks, and Anglos, Saxons, and the Germanic tribes were able to work together toward a common goal. Groups around the world either had kings or religion to unify them and much of Europe was under both of those, like the Romans, or the Holy Roman Empire. Europe today may not be as unified as it once was, even if it was mostly forced, but still it seems the small tribes everywhere else couldn't use these factors to the same degree.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
"But how did the white population, much, much younger than the others, manage to gain better technology, health and government that quick? We sort of went from zero to one hundred in five minutes, while everyone else struggled to get up to sixty. Then, with our technology that must have seemed godly to the poor natives, we took over everything."

The key was being united strongly enough to expand, but be divided enough that you had to do it before your rival did. When the French got to southern Africa, they did so to beat the Portuguese to the loot. The British built heavy industry to out gun the French. The worst phase of religious oppression was over and science was being explored as a new way to understand the world. In Europe the religions, technological and cultural changes all came at one perfect storm.

Compare that to the rest of the world at that time. The Chinese had technology, but were such a huge cultural monolith that there wasn't any reason to reach out and change. The Middle Eastern nations had a more fair culture, but were still religiously monolithic, the Africans had the right social and religious conditions, but no technology.

Today the world has just mixed around a little. Western civilization is now a content cultural monolith, China has the perfect mix of national ambition, technology and lack of religious influence, Africa is working on all of them, and Middle Eastern culture is going through its absolutely shitty phase of kicking the crap out of each other for religious purposes (Islam never really had a power mad phase until the 60's. They'll have it out of their system within the next 100 years).

Basically its just the case that Western civilization excelled at the right time. Also can we drop the stupid idea that the rest of the world was its poor little victim? The myth of the 'peaceful little native' is one of the most stupid hippie claims in history. Life in any country was savage, violent and short well before anyone heard of colonialism.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
SeeIn2D said:
Alright well I'll just say that you may be right but you're also wrong. Yes.

White people do arguably have it "better" in the world but that's their own doing and not in the sense that you'd think of. I can explain my point of view best with an example. In Spain during the 1400s the Islamic culture had territory in Granada with their crown jewel being the Alhambra which was a marvel of architecture and culture. Now during this time King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella were reigning supreme in Spain. They didn't like this. They went down to Granada and pretty much sacked the Alhambra and to display their dominance they built a very nice, but very Catholic, building right in the center of this Islamic structure.

The point of that story being that white people, generally Europeans throughout history, have always literally forced these other cultures to slow progression or stop all together. Apartheid in India was another horrible example of a culture being suppressed by "the white man". So in short I do believe that in many cases "white people" have it better. However I also believe that it's because other cultures were suppressed by those same "white people" and couldn't advance at the same rate.
Small nitpick, this
The point of that story being that white people, generally Europeans throughout history, have always literally forced these other cultures to slow progression or stop all together.
was not something exclusive to "white people", all conquerors did this.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys, what's going on in this threa-
Shit.

Because I have US citizenship, I am literally the spawn of satan?
This thread was already doomed, how did it become US=Nazi germany thread?

Get out while you still can!

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
SciMal said:
I mean, we trace our cultural routes back to Romans, but do you think Romans/Greeks were white? Hell no, they weren't.
By what standards were the Romans not white?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
This was some of the quickest derailment I've ever seen. Thread gets derailed on its 7th post by the OP himself lol.

As for your post OP. First I would suggest you look into and read some basic physical anthropology courses cause the human expansion didn't happen exactly like how you say it did, and how I think (from the way your post is written), you think it did. Secondly you have to understand that competition is one of the greatest sources of technological advancement, even to this day. You have Europe which lets be honest is tiny, and hundreds of groups all trying to occupy the same small region of land. Combine this with the increases trade and communications of the Europeans with other cultures (primarily throughout Asia), and the subsequent incorporation of their tech and you have quite a good catalyst for continuous innovation.

As for your thesis:
"Or maybe I proved white people are worse than others, despite having better tech."

Well to be honest its A) racist and discriminatory.
B) So wrong it isn't even funny.

If you look at the history of any group of people you will see that they all contain things best left forgotten. In fact I bet with a little bit of research you could draw comparisons between what you claim the Europeans are at fault for and any other group (even some small tribes in Africa), albeit on a much smaller scale obviously.

It was what someone else was trying to point out when you mentioned the atomic bomb. Cities were bombed throughout the war (cities full of civilians), but you only draw issue with the bombings of 2 Japanese cities by the US. Does it really make that much of a difference whether 2 cities where bombed for say 200,000 thousand casualties total (those aren't the real numbers but Its been a while since I've taken history and I'm not looking them up because the numbers aren't important in the model), or 200 cities were bombed during the European theater for 1000 casualties each?

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
BNguyen said:
I never said the Europeans invented anything like that, just that that area of the world seemed to develop faster than other areas.
Which is a load of bull. Caucasians didn't develop any faster than any other culture which stole inventions and used them.

There's no inherently higher rate of cultural or technological development in Europe versus other countries (save ones limited by resources). Right time, right place, right attitude.

Every group in the world utilized imperialism in one form or another to get ahead but the Europeans were able to do it better and faster, why, because large portions of the people like the Franks, and Anglos, Saxons, and the Germanic tribes were able to work together toward a common goal.
As opposed to the Romans, the Chinese, the Ottoman Empire, the Egyptians... All composed of smaller states that banded together to create an empire.

The theme isn't uncommon, you're just talking from a viewpoint inside cacuasian dominance.

Groups around the world either had kings or religion to unify them and much of Europe was under both of those, like the Romans, or the Holy Roman Empire.
Most empires had that. Kings, almost by definition, are the divinely chosen - you really can't have one without the other throughout history.

Europe today may not be as unified as it once was, even if it was mostly forced, but still it seems the small tribes everywhere else couldn't use these factors to the same degree.
Sure they did. Some South American empires spanned areas rivaling the Romans. China is the 3rd largest country in the world (after Russia and Canada). Australia, the 6th largest country, was inhabited entirely by Aborigines until the last century.

Your view is warped because you're looking from within the fish bowl. It happens to everyone, so I'm not blaming anyone for being ethnocentric, but it is an extreme bias everyone should be aware of.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
You're spat of history gathering is admirable but your getting the wrong impression. If you're approaching this from a genetics point of view then you'll be disappointed about how little difference there is between Europeans and other races. What you're ignoring is something important and that's a centralized belief system. The differences between ancient rome, the empires of africa and asia technologically speaking wasn't vast. And as other people pointed out it was China that had the lead for a very long time. It wasn't until Catholicism that things went in a different direction between Europe and the other continents and even then it wouldn't be for another 1000 years once all that nasty Crusades stuff finished. (crusades can't be ignored if you're talking about the advancement of europe). With Catholicism there was a general set of beliefs and norms between countries and its citizens and the popes managed to, to no small, degree bring them together under a loose band to form a their own distinct and similar nations with recognized borders. So now there were countries and citizenry that had a common set of beliefs and norms so that when wars happened and finished it didn't reset political/alliances advancements back to zero. England was still England, France was still France, Spain still Spain after wars came and went so there was still governments to pick up the pieces to put countries back together.
But Europeans even still weren't better at every thing. India, Iroquois confederacy, Japan, China, Africa, the Middle east. Europeans would be more advanced after each one of the meetings because they'd win and take these lessons like castle building, paper, rule of the citizenry over kings, metallurgy. Also if you ever want to read/watch Guns Germs, and Steel you'll probably find that interesting. One popular opinion you shouldn't listen to is that Europeans were simply the most savage and brutal of all societies and that simply isn't true. China right up until the 70's loved nothing more then a good genocide to clear things up. Not to say that Europeans were simply wonderfully peaceful people just that if China had decided to set about building ships and take off to build a global Empire they would of been about as violent as the Europeans.
It was a mixture of simple greed and stable long term governments that forced the advancement of Europe into the age of exploration that set Europe on the path of world dominance that is actually coming to an end as we speak. Interesting times we live in, there are no real indicators of any of this being genetic predisposition of being smarter that I've ever seen.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
"The bomb was dropped by parachute and exploded 580m (1,900ft) above the ground. Between 60,000 and 80,000 people were killed instantly. The heat from the bomb was so intense that some people simply vanished in the explosion. Many more died of the long-term effects of radiation sickness. The final death toll was calculated at 135,000. As well as residents of Hiroshima, the victims included Koreans who had been forced to come to Japan as labourers, and American prisoners-of-war who were imprisoned in Hiroshima."

-http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/timeline/factfiles/nonflash/a6652262.shtml

Yes, the majority of people died instantly from the heat. Yes, the U.S. dropped a nuke on their POWs.
Did it end the war? Look up the firebombing of Tokyo, and you'll see that even with 100,000 civilians turned to ash, the government would not surrender.

"Approximately 16 square miles (41 km2) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died in the resulting firestorm, more immediate deaths than either of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

The nukes convinced Japan to surrender.
Now look up 'total war'.

"In the mid-19th century, "total war" was identified by scholars as a separate class of warfare. In a total war, there is less differentiation between combatants and civilians than in other conflicts, and sometimes no such differentiation at all, as nearly every human resource, civilians and soldiers alike, can be considered to be part of the belligerent effort.[1]"

World War 2 was Total war. The Japanese bombed civilians (China), the British did (night raids), the Americans did (firebombing and day raids), the Germans did (The Blitz), hell, every warring nation did. Back then, you fought a war to win it, not prolong it by playing fair or nice.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Europe dominated because they had an abundance of natural resources, the inventions of earlier civilizations (Greece, mid-east, China) to build upon, and the right cultural temperature and political volatility that encouraged constant competition and ambitious expansion and thus never resulted in stagnation that the East eventually did fell into, or descended into aimless chaos.

In short alot of advantageous factors aligned. As is always the case.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Not really. The mongolian empire was the largest in the world for a long time. The 'white people' spent most of the past thousand years being crushed by the Church or trying to convert other people, usually with much bloodshed involved. Meanwhile, the technological and cultural heart of the world was somewhere much further East.
It was only when the advances of the Industrial Revolution began leaking across the whole Western world and slavery became a huge enough industry to make us wealthy that the West actually advanced past anyone else. Go back far enough and you'll find that pretty much every corner of the world has had periods of advantage or disadvantage.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Our Ancestors were lucky.
Human history is one endless chain of lucky coincidences, starting with the position and design of our planet, down to the distribution of its ressources.

Race has as much to do with that as the type of pets people tend to keep in a certain area.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I'm more inclined to believe that the constant war and threat of war in Europe spurred invention and innovation at a greater rate than in more peaceful areas of the world. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all; Why would the native Americans have developed gunpowder if their wars were mostly contained to small-scale raids on each other?

Under that reasoning, though, I can't really explain why the Aztecs failed to increase their own technological progress given how much they fought, but obviously there were other factors at work there.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Because Genghis Khan never managed to reach Europe to fuck everything up. The arab world was miles ahead of us technologically and scientifically until Genghis fucked their shit up.