White People! Are you offended being called a "Cracka"?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I've never heard it before in my life, wouldn't even have known what the hell it meant if I hadn't just looked it up. But no, I wouldn't be, been called far worse things than that.

Race doesn't exist between humans anyhow, we belong to different ethnic groups, that's all.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
It's a racial slur, sure. I don't mind the word, but I would be offended if a person who called me a cracka wouldn't let me call them a ******. Or whatever other slur for their particular brand of genes.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
HellbirdIV said:
Thanks for ninja'ing me.

As for the main question, no, I wouldn't be offended. One, because the country I come from has never practiced slavery, so the term's root is meaningless. Two, because it's just a name. Names carry connotations, but there is no specific insult in them other than a broad label. All you're doing by using racial epithets is showing your ignorance.

And in general, I'm not bothered by either racial epithets or ethnic jokes. Meh, they have their place and I'd rather have people joke about my country than invade it. It's when someone seriously insults the history of my ancestors that I get offended.

In other words, laugh at "polish jokes" all you want. But FUCK YOU if you use the term "Polish death camp". Even if you're the US president. ESPECIALLY if you're the US president.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Hell no, nigga. I'm a cracka-ass, white boy and I don't give a shit who calls me that.

Shit, I don't give a shit about 'white devil' either.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
PatrickXD said:
It's a racial slur, sure. I don't mind the word, but I would be offended if a person who called me a cracka wouldn't let me call them a ******. Or whatever other slur for their particular brand of genes.
I don't get this sort of logic.

a person calls you a slur, one whose root implies that you're a bigot, and your response is to demand the opportunity to prove them right?

seriously dude, think about that long and hard and abandon that logic as soon as possible. it's not a game where you can one up eachother and win. once slurs start flying everyone involved loses. it's a zero-gain system.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Durgiun said:
Hell no, nigga. I'm a cracka-ass, white boy and I don't give a shit who calls me that.

Shit, I don't give a shit about 'white devil' either.
Equinsu Ocha!

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
Well, its my username, so most of the time I think people are just calling me by that. It actually took at least a year after picking the name to find out it actually went 'white boy' etc.

I was thinking about Ritz crackers at the time, and its kinda similar to my last name anyhow.

So yeah. I find being called Cracker in racial terms more confusing and embarassing than actually offensive.

Shinclone

Nov 20, 2011
It's primarily used by blacks as a racial slur against whites, it's no different than a white man calling a black man a ******. I personally don't find it offensive but the intended insult is still there. What annoys some folk though is the double standards involved. If for example I was to walk the streets using the term ****** to refer to black folks I would promptly be arrested and charged with any number of ridiculous hate crimes, swap it around however and not a thing would be done.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Abomination said:
And even if not I really wouldn't care... I actually don't mind slang terms for races. We call Americans "Yanks" and the English "Poms" and they don't take much offense.
Really? I can't really imagine calling a person, based on the country they come from. Thinking about it, i would probably pretty weirded out, being called a Kraut while being in another country.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
If you called me "sir" in the wrong tone and context I would be offended. It's all about context. Even the word ******, when used in different contexts means or meant different things to certain people. A less flame-war inciting example and one I can relate to is Paddy. Paddy is often used as a racist and exclusionary slang for Irish people in certain parts of the world and carried a lot of the same implications as 'proper' racist terms. Yet Irish people refer to themselves as paddies often and generally we don't mind being referred to as being a Paddy if it's good natured. But if you are in a pub and and English person calls you a "fucking paddy" You best believe there is a racial undertone either meant or felt. The same is true of any ethnicity. ****** is a term that had been co-opted into popular culture and became practically as taboo as a curse word. Same as a man calling a woman a ****. There is a connection that runs deeper than language. Personally, I don't think it's the important part about this case. No one is on trial for racism, it's a murder case and at the end of the day, what the victim's racial views were is utterly irrelevant.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
No, as I often try to crack wise so I take it as an encouragement. Using the topical word is like a nigga whipping himself.

Kinda related - is using the word ****** prohibited on this forum and that's why people use nigga? Which is still essentially the same.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
somonels said:
No, as I often try to crack wise so I take it as an encouragement. Using the topical word is like a nigga whipping himself.

Kinda related - is using the word ****** prohibited on this forum and that's why people use nigga? Which is still essentially the same.
It's not, at all. "Nigga" and "******" are very different words with different connotations.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Altorin said:
PatrickXD said:

a person calls you a slur, one whose root implies that you're a bigot, and your response is to demand the opportunity to prove them right?

seriously dude, think about that long and hard and abandon that logic as soon as possible. it's not a game where you can one up eachother and win. once slurs start flying everyone involved loses. it's a zero-gain system.
If someone calls me a cracker and I call them a ****** and they take offense, that means they meant offense in calling me a cracker. It's the intent of the person in using the word that may or may not offend me.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
somonels said:
It's not, at all. "Nigga" and "******" are very different words with different connotations.
******'s race and Nigga's status or relation? So people just use them falsely?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
somonels said:
OhJohnNo said:
somonels said:
******'s race and Nigga's status or relation? So people just use them falsely?
Honestly, I don't hear "******" used much by anyone except racists anymore. All I know is that I've heard "nigga" used by blacks to refer to white friends all the damn time. Even white people are often allowed to say it.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
PatrickXD said:
Altorin said:
PatrickXD said:

If someone calls me a cracker and I call them a ****** and they take offense, that means they meant offense in calling me a cracker. It's the intent of the person in using the word that may or may not offend me.
whatever helps you sleep man. it still sounds bonkers to me. Someone calls me a cracker, first I want to know where the hate comes from, and then I'll probably disassociate myself with that person because they clearly aren't going to show me any respect. It's not an opportunity to get your jollies using a word that basically means "you're not a human being, you're a filthy monkey and I'm going to beat you until you do what I tell you".

A black person calls me a cracker, he's an asshole, not a ******. it's fairly well established that he is human being and I have no claim over his livelihood no matter how hard I beat him.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Not at all, but if I'm ever referred to as 'Scotch', I'll cut a cracka up.

I am not an egg.

SpunkeyMonkey said:
My own wish would be to see all such words allowed and people able to use them as freely as they like, as through constant use in time they would all lose impact, and the politically correct types only give those words their power by highlighting them so much in the first place.
I agree completely, the sooner we stop demonising words rather than intent, the better the world will be.