White shirt cop punches out a female protestor

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first, it's hard to see but if you looked closely it's there. Still there was absolutely no call for his own violence, he should have arrested her since she did in fact assault a police officer but he was in absolutely no real danger, he let his anger get the best of him and... well, literally knocks her on her ass with a haymaker. Really Cop? Really? Was that really the best possible decision you could've made as a member of law enforcement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxZ8_JdKm0Q

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Here comes the tons of "I've lost my faith in humanity" and "All cops are corrupt bastards!" comments.

Eh, it was one douchebag who overreacted in an isolated incident.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
lordmardok said:
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first,
Then why the hell are we talking about this? If a police officer is struck, they will strike back. They are there to protect themselves, us and the law, and them being assaulted in anyway stops all of the above (talk to me another day about abuse of power, I'm tired now). The cop was in his right to hit her. She shouldn't hit a cop, especially at what we want to be a peaceful protest.

That's just my two cents though. I guess you could interpret this as an outstretch of power, but I believe that she deserved it this time.

Police brutality is too depressing for Calumon.

weker

May 27, 2009
it's not a woman it's a man with long hair, if you look at the comments.

Also can't help but think this is more about the criminal being a woman.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
...what I saw was a massive crowd of protestors before someone got violent and attacked a cop. If you were in the middle of that and felt fists on your back, what would you do?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Actually the protestor was male, judging by the side-view version that is links in the description of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS7WHeEtTvQ

Also judging by that side-view, it looks like the protestor was just peacefully walking along when he got punched. I'd say the cop was far out of line there, but we really need to stop blaming police-officers as a whole when one does something wrong. They're out there on the streets putting themselves at risk for our safety, and that deserves a lot of respect.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Thank God. I haven't seen an "Evil Cop" story for so long that I thought the cops had gone and become demigods of perfection.

Although, all things considered, this is a pretty lame "Evil Cop" story. A cop punched someone and they fell down. Yay?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
not all cops are bastards but this one in particular should be punished for unnecessary violence.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Important to this thread I think.

A bloke.

EDIT: The ninja's. They are everywhere.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
While we can't blame all police for this we can blame the people running the police force. Untrained, violent, or unprofessional people should be removed from the force.

It's a guy that gets hit and there's footage of a few seconds before the attack. If the civilian did hit the cop it happened quite a bit before the cop hit back, at least a few seconds and enough to make it clear that the officer wasn't in any immediate danger. The police officer is committing assault, not doing his job.

Jenitals

Jan 15, 2011
I think it's safe to say the police officer was in his right to resist the attack of a violent individual (be it man or woman) and he did.

I'm tired of all this hate directed at incidents without the facts to justify it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
SeriousIssues said:
...what I saw was a massive crowd of protestors before someone got violent and attacked a cop. If you were in the middle of that and felt fists on your back, what would you do?
This. It never fails that whenever there's a story about a cop having to do something violent like this, people find a way to spin it to make the cop look bad. In this case, the TC blatantly lied about the gender of the person that started a fight with a cop to make the cop look even worse (people always get more pissed off about a woman being knocked out than a man being knocked out). Do some people really hate the police so much that they have to spin shit like this so hard? Or are they just hoping that someone from Fox News will read garbage like this, be impressed, and offer them a job spinning news stories?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I lose sympathy when someoe actively goes out of their way to put a cop in a dangerous situation. didnt have it for the kid that got shot cause he charged a cop, dont have it for this woman. if you're dumb enough to strike someone with the badge, I wont weep when the full fury comes down on you.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
Oh god. He had every right to whack that person. Hell, I would have. The person who wins a fight is the person with the fastest reactions, so I say he won.

What if the "Guy" who attacked the cop actually had a knife? Would have never known, it could have been over in a flash. I don't like cops, I've had bad experiences with them (And I'm only 17!), but they do the right thing most of the time.

Most of the time.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Thank God. I haven't seen an "Evil Cop" story for so long that I thought the cops had gone and become demigods of perfection.

Although, all things considered, this is a pretty lame "Evil Cop" story. A cop punched someone and they fell down. Yay?
I think there's some debate over why, but eh XD

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
While she did strike him first and he was operating in a environment probably pretty hostile to him, knocking the woman on her ass was quite an over reaction. I would suspend him or some minor punishment, he definitely shouldn't lose his job though. That being said, I can't exactly tell what happened by the video.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I'm not going to say what I feel. However, I DID support the protesters in Egypt and elsewhere, and I certainly hate that cops can do *whatever the hell they want with literally no repercussions,* soo....

On the other hand, these protests are far stupider in origin. If we were protesting the actual government, with actual anger like the Egyptians, and without injecting all of the "herp derp hyper-conservative fundamentalism," I'd be far more sympathetic. As it stands, though, I mostly just see a bunch of hypocrites protesting something they don't understand in the slightest.

On the third hand, the protesters here seem to be far more hipster than previous pictures I've seen, so maybe it is steering towards actual protesting of an oppressive government, in which case, I salute fighting the fascist cops that are trying to keep the other piggies in power.

On the fourth hand (second foot?), we need some more time (and some riots) to see which cops are authoritarian pricks and which just haven't had time to leave yet. Similar to Egypt, by the time the protests really got going, only the asshole cops stuck around to fight. Anyone with a sense of decency joined the resistance.

Time will tell.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
lunncal said:
Actually the protestor was male, judging by the side-view version that is links in the description of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS7WHeEtTvQ

Also judging by that side-view, it looks like the protestor was just peacefully walking along when he got punched. I'd say the cop was far out of line there, but we really need to stop blaming police-officers as a whole when one does something wrong. They're out there on the streets putting themselves at risk for our safety, and that deserves a lot of respect.
The cop was after the guy for something, that much we can be sure of. I'm sure he wasn't trying to get his attention for the fun of it, or just to pick a fight like many seem to think. Instigating violence in a situation like that would be idiotic--it would only put the officer, his fellow officers, and everyone else in the area in even more danger. Of course nobody will think of it that way, and they will use this video and others like it as bloody shirts, and ways to legitimize making them not-so-peaceful protests.