White shirt cop punches out a female protestor

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
It sounds like self-defence to me and is therefore perfectly acceptable (provided it doesn't break ont into a full fight, of course). If it wasn't an officer of the law, I'm sure people would see view the situation fairly differently. If it was a man who was struck back, perhaps people would, again, see it somewhat differently. Apparently it was a bloke too. Eh, it's debatable.

Kendarik said:
He hit a cop in the middle of a crowd, you don't wait for him to hit you a second time, you take him own quickly.
Aye, precisely.

x

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Jesus Christ, people are fucking thick.

Look at the cop. Look at his reaction immediately after punching the guy. It's clear FROM HIS OWN FUCKING REACTION that he was completely out of line. He realized it the moment it happened. Funny how the people in this thread can't come to the same conclusion.

This country is fucked. We've had nothing but runaway corporate greed destroying the economy, the middle class, and (eventually) our overall qualify of life in America. It's coming to a head finally, with New Yorkers in particular more than a little peeved in light of the latest poverty statistics in their city.

And yet we still have folks supporting the fucking police, the government, and any/all of the old-guard authority figures that put us in this mess and firmly intend to keep us here.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
4173 said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
I thought protesting was a basic human right we went to war for in Libya to protect? I guess it matters less if it's your own corrupt regime being protested.
Admittedly I haven't been paying attention to the news this weekend, but I missed the part where they started shooting live ammo into the crowd.

And surely whomever shot the video is risking torture and death by releasing it.
This is what I've been saying for weeks, basically.

Two people who were antagonizing the police got pepper sprayed? Cue thousands of 'OPPRESSION!' comments.

It's pepper spray. You're fine after like an hour.

Call me when we have mountains of corpses on either side of the road, then we'll talk. But 1-2 people getting punched/pepper sprayed? Shit happens. Get over it already.
I've eaten pepper spray on chips. It's not that bad.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
3 words to say to the bloke that got put on his arse...

Learn to duck.

I feel as if I should say some words condemning the coppers actions....

Can't think of any but if I could offer him some constructive criticism .... Swing your punches from the hip fella, get more power behind them.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
lordmardok said:
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first,
Then why the hell are we talking about this? If a police officer is struck, they will strike back. They are there to protect themselves, us and the law, and them being assaulted in anyway stops all of the above (talk to me another day about abuse of power, I'm tired now). The cop was in his right to hit her. She shouldn't hit a cop, especially at what we want to be a peaceful protest.

That's just my two cents though. I guess you could interpret this as an outstretch of power, but I believe that she deserved it this time.

Police brutality is too depressing for Calumon.
exactly this. and don't you get four cents?
oh wait...
and why does it matter that it was a woman protestor? if it was a female officer and male protestor, most people would probably react differently.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Not if you have asthma or other kinds of breathing disorders. Then pepperspray can easily be fatal.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Xaryn Mar said:
Kopikatsu said:
Not if you have asthma or other kinds of breathing disorders. Then pepperspray can easily be fatal.
Sneezing can break your neck. (Yes, actually, it can)

Tazers can also be fatal even if you don't have some kind of disorder, and don't even get me started on rubber bullets.

Basically: People are not psychic. Shit happens.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Then why the hell are we talking about this?
Because there's such a thing as excessive force. What he did simply wasn't professional. He didn't keep his cool, which is one of the most important skills a police officer must have to avoid incidents like this or worse. In the end, yes, it's only a punch to the face, but it still says something about the cop's skill, and not a good thing at that.

Yes, of course the man/woman/hipster thing shouldn've hit or spit on that cop, but there are perfectly legal ways to deal with someone who does that, we have laws for that and a cop's job is to uphold those laws and protect citizens, not to inflict retribution. Fact is, he stepped out of line. And if the video is to be believed, he seems to know it himself as well.

Also, I was already wondering where Calumon went. Lulz were had when I quoted you.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Unless the cop did something to flagrantly incite the incident, then the fault is all on the guy who struck the cop. In a situation like that, where the officer has reason to believe that they are in immediate physical danger, they have the right--and the authority--to take whatever actions are necessary to ensure their safety. This same rule, surprise, applies to everyone. It's called "self-defense". And before someone says "well why didn't they just arrest them instead of fighting back," you're stupid, it's kind of hard to arrest a violent person without restraining/incapacitating/disarming/etc them, which in this case required retaliation.

But, still, a cop dared to hit someone for any reason at all during a protest that I like! Police state! Police brutality! Abuse of power! Yeah, no. Not this time.

Dec 27, 2010
I know nothing of the American situation, so I can't really comment on this, but if a Garda did this I don't think I'd really get too upset about this. To be fair though, the guards are so badly trained that the woman probably would have been a threat to one if they didn't strike back.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
I lose sympathy when someoe actively goes out of their way to put a cop in a dangerous situation. didnt have it for the kid that got shot cause he charged a cop, dont have it for this woman. if you're dumb enough to strike someone with the badge, I wont weep when the full fury comes down on you.
oh so very much agreed here man. and to think i want to be a cop one of these days. what if this shit happens to me? i have to do my job and get called a monster for it?

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Probably a little excessive on the part of the cop; he should have tried to restrain the guy before knocking him on his ass like that. And I didn't see the part where the protester actually attacked the cop. Could have been cut out for a desired effect, but I'm a little bit skeptical.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal. If the cop wasn't attacked, then he needs disciplinary action. If he was, then I'm going to keep watching that video (with the sound off, so as to keep from listening to the loud GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL! from that one guy) just to laugh at the stupid hipster getting his face rocked.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
TheBelgianGuy said:
I thought protesting was a basic human right we went to war for in Libya to protect? I guess it matters less if it's your own corrupt regime being protested.
Please explain how striking a police officer and him hitting you back is "corrupt" You are aware...they are allowed to strike back after being hit. BTW...thats a man with long hair

Edit
Dr Snakeman said:
Probably a little excessive on the part of the cop; he should have tried to restrain the guy before knocking him on his ass like that. And I didn't see the part where the protester actually attacked the cop. Could have been cut out for a desired effect, but I'm a little bit skeptical.
At the start you can see the guy swinging and the cop somehow pushes him back then hits him.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Yeah its a man, he was moving out of the way when the white-shirted officer grabbed him by the shoulder and clocked his face.

His story :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgG7Ip6NiBo&feature=related