White shirt cop punches out a female protestor

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The cop was wrong, yes. But a cop must respond to any incidents of assault, even against himself. This was not the way to do it of course, but the protester had it coming.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
lunncal said:
Actually the protestor was male, judging by the side-view version that is links in the description of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS7WHeEtTvQ

Also judging by that side-view, it looks like the protestor was just peacefully walking along when he got punched. I'd say the cop was far out of line there, but we really need to stop blaming police-officers as a whole when one does something wrong. They're out there on the streets putting themselves at risk for our safety, and that deserves a lot of respect.
Actually looks more like the protester was walking away quickly in the sense that he did something stupid and thought he could move along and like it wasn't him, but the cop did notice, and was pissed.

Could be just as wrong about that, impossible to confirm from that video as it does only show what seems to be a random punch, which would be a little odd itself. But that's impression I got of it any case, didn't seem like "peacefully walking along", seemed like "briskly walking away".

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
Assault on a police officer is a fairly serious offense. I mean, people are jostling around, people are being shoved, he may not of hit the officer, but you gotta understand the officers are all on "high alert". They're in a crowd situation, its been peaceful, but you dont know what might happen and who might be their, or what their intent is. So they're going to take action at an offense, even if it wasnt necessarily in the intent they might think its taken under.

That said, an officer has a responsibility to not overstep their authority.

Eitherway, i think in that situation, most officers would have responded, maybe not with a punch but they probably would have taken the person down and handcuffed them.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
If somebody attacks an officer, the officer should be able to fucking attack back. Be it woman, man, child.

Tbh, the policeman didn't even do much damage, he defended himself, that was it. He didn't get carried away, he carried out a defensive move very professionally given the circumstances.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
dystopiaINC said:
emeraldrafael said:
I lose sympathy when someoe actively goes out of their way to put a cop in a dangerous situation. didnt have it for the kid that got shot cause he charged a cop, dont have it for this woman. if you're dumb enough to strike someone with the badge, I wont weep when the full fury comes down on you.
oh so very much agreed here man. and to think i want to be a cop one of these days. what if this shit happens to me? i have to do my job and get called a monster for it?
eh, its just like being a soldier (not that I am one, just have family who were). you dont do it for the fame or glory, you do it to keep order and your home safe.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
hahahaha, thats funny

He/she/it totally got knocked the eff out.

OT The thing attacked the cop first, it deserves to get knocked out like that.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
lordmardok said:
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first,
Then why the hell are we talking about this? If a police officer is struck, they will strike back. They are there to protect themselves, us and the law, and them being assaulted in anyway stops all of the above (talk to me another day about abuse of power, I'm tired now). The cop was in his right to hit her. She shouldn't hit a cop, especially at what we want to be a peaceful protest.

That's just my two cents though. I guess you could interpret this as an outstretch of power, but I believe that she deserved it this time.

Police brutality is too depressing for Calumon.
This.

I would buy you a drink....if I could....

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
People are saying it's only one incident but the police at the Occupy Wall Street protest have been quite aggressive and have done a few shit things like this for the past week or two.

Apparently people aren't allowed to protest properly any more.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Wowww. I'm glad I know where I stand with you all on defending myself. I can't help but think if this was a video of two guys. You wouldn't say a word. Or if the officer there wasn't a cop. She hit him with a closed fist. In court that is lethal force you can respond with kind.

A tip. If you don't want to get hit. Don't fucking hit people.

Xaryn Mar said:
Kopikatsu said:
It's pepper spray. You're fine after like an hour.
Not if you have asthma or other kinds of breathing disorders. Then pepperspray can easily be fatal.
Which is why bigger depts (like nyc) are considering training their officers on use of breathing apparatus.
Also, what you speak of is very rare. Not asthma or breathing disorders. But rather the death resulting from it's use.
The[a href=http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr] U(niform)C(rime)R(eport)[/a] has not yet officially begun gathering statistics on 'accidental' deaths from pepper spray/tasers but, unofficially (policing depts hiring independent people to study it so the dept can scrap it if it's a lawsuit magnet) it's low.

You're more likely to die from being hit with the truncheon by a wide margin.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Warforger said:
lordmardok said:
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first, it's hard to see but if you looked closely it's there. Still there was absolutely no call for his own violence, he should have arrested her since she did in fact assault a police officer but he was in absolutely no real danger, he let his anger get the best of him and... well, literally knocks her on her ass with a haymaker. Really Cop? Really? Was that really the best possible decision you could've made as a member of law enforcement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxZ8_JdKm0Q
What's with the title huh? Are you implying that the reason he hit that woman was because he wore a white shirt? I'll go back and wear my white shirts with pride!
Lol, I just put that in there so that when you watched it you could identify him right away.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
lordmardok said:
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first, it's hard to see but if you looked closely it's there. Still there was absolutely no call for his own violence, he should have arrested her since she did in fact assault a police officer but he was in absolutely no real danger, he let his anger get the best of him and... well, literally knocks her on her ass with a haymaker. Really Cop? Really? Was that really the best possible decision you could've made as a member of law enforcement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxZ8_JdKm0Q
I don't see you making threads about every male protester punched in the face by a cop.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
lordmardok said:
So to be fair to the cop she did strike him first,
Then why the hell are we talking about this? If a police officer is struck, they will strike back. They are there to protect themselves, us and the law, and them being assaulted in anyway stops all of the above (talk to me another day about abuse of power, I'm tired now). The cop was in his right to hit her. She shouldn't hit a cop, especially at what we want to be a peaceful protest.

That's just my two cents though. I guess you could interpret this as an outstretch of power, but I believe that she deserved it this time.

Police brutality is too depressing for Calumon.
Because as someone who is in school to eventually become an officer I can tell you that were not supposed to do that. Seriously it's bad. We're supposed to be able to just put up with that and act objectively. I realize that's not really a human trait in and of itself but it's the theory. Anyway she did take a swing at him but really, that girl's like 100 pounds soaking wet, that would've been like my little sister taking a swing at me. Not really offensive, just kinda funny. He should've been able to just shake it off but he got mad and did something that he'll probably regret. Hell it might even get him fired, probably not since she did swing first, but suspension is probably a real issue.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What that stupid cop doesn't realize is that people are on the edge. If cops go too far people will get violent. And in return, cops will have to respond with violence. And then everything goes to shit.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
A cop punches out a fucker who struck him first? That vile, sadistic asswagon! Next you'll be telling me about an officer who got shot and had the nerve to fire back.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
After watching several different angles of the same incident, it is clear that the alleged protester was male, and was walking across the street when the officer grabbed him from behind and punched him.

Now, there is no way to know what happened a few moments before the incident, but from our limited view, the officer abused his power and went over board. The white shirt officers in the NYPD need to be cleaned out because it is coming to the surface that they are incapable of dealing with situations that are high stress, and it is only a matter of time before one of them snaps and kills someone.

I should say that not all officers in the NYPD are bad, nor are all police officers evil, but we as citizens must be careful to whom we give power. A government must fear its people.

Sep 14, 2009
so let me get this straight.. a hipster gets rocked in the face after being a douche and hitting a cop first?

yeah it's a basic right to protest, and not saying i disagree with the protest, but start shit like that? you bet your ass your gettin taken down.

Roy Smith

Sep 23, 2011
It's exceptionally common for someone to do something and when the cops react only show the reaction. It's dishonest but if you hate law enforcement and don't care about the truth then it works.

But even if the cop was struck he should not have struck back - simply cuff and arrest. The cops reaction - although natural - had potential catastrophic consequences. I wouldn't fire him but perhaps some conseling or training would help.

As for the protester I'd let him enjoy his year in prison for his felony.

And mjc0961, it's HILARIOUS you single out Fox for fake news when most of the other outlets aren't any better and in some cases even worse.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I feel sorry for police, damn if they do and damn if they don't.

They can never seem to do a good enough job for Joe public, people will either complain they didn't react quick enough or at all, or, that they abused their power or over-reacted etc.

I dunno, but if that was me and I was surrounded by a shit tonne of protesters, many of whom are willing to get violent; sometimes, the only way to keep control is to get violent back (by using force, pepper spray, batons)

I do think the police in the video could of handled it differently, but I'm not gonna say he's shit at his job and stuff.