Who is gaming's greatest Silent Protagonist?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Cheesebob said:
hazabaza1 said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Gordon Freeman, by miles.

(Link Shouts & Grunts so he doesnt count)
Gordon makes noises after he falls a high height and hurts himself, I believe.
Nope not even then. There is a big splatter noice and the HEV suit goes "booooooooooooo" that is all
Really? I could've sworn I've heard him grunt in pain every now and again.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
Some game characters aren't very vocal. This thread is for the charcters who speak through actions instead of words. Who is gaming's best silent protagonist?

My vote goes to Link. He's one of my favorite characters of all time, so naturally he'd be my pick here.
Can Link still count as silent after that awful cartoon they made about him? My favorite part was his "catch phrase:"
"Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess!"

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
I believe the general consensus is that Gordon Freeman is the greatest silent protagonist, which he is. By far.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
dekkarax said:
I find that a silly question.

A silent protagonist rarely shows their personality, so what's the difference between them besides situation?
They way the story revolves around their actions and interacts with their history. Or are you saying it that by your sophomoric logic that Half-Life would have made sense if you switched out Gordon for Link?

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Cheesebob said:
hazabaza1 said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Gordon Freeman, by miles.

(Link Shouts & Grunts so he doesnt count)
Gordon makes noises after he falls a high height and hurts himself, I believe.
Nope not even then. There is a big splatter noice and the HEV suit goes "booooooooooooo" that is all
Really? I could've sworn I've heard him grunt in pain every now and again.
I am pretty damn sure he makes no noice at all from his mouth. Feel free to check by replaying Half Life 2 :D

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
I have to say Gordon Freeman but is any one else tired of silent protagonists It always kind of takes me out of the experience. Valve does a good job of it but still I would like to hear Gordan talk. Also I like ODST but i still wish The Rookie had a voice same for the guys in Call Of Duty.

Gebi10000

Aug 14, 2009
Link with mr. freeman as a close second.but I can't really consider him silent after watching freemans mind.that show is so figgin hilarius

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Well, I think my choice goes to either Link, The Hero from Dragon Quest VIII or The Pokemon Trainer.

Two of those save the world, and the third one simply seeks to enslave at least one of every single wild animal on his planet and force them to battle other trainers in the hopes of being recognised as the greatest, and that makes me chuckle.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I have to go to Felix from Golden Sun: the Lost Age. He apparently says so much with a single nod or head shake.