Who is the best fictional swordsman of all time?

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
Gonna go with good old Ike from Fire Emblem. I always like Ike a little more than Marth and the new Awakening characters just don't speak to me as much.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would say it is between Geralt of Rivia, Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy, and Aragorn. All four are pretty much at the apex of their skills. Even though Selmy is in his 60's in the books he can still take out younger duelists with ease. Just based on skill and finesse I would have to give it to Geralt. Being over 100 means he has had time to hone his skills to a fine point and he can also use magic too to turn the tide if he is losing.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hard for me to go with any one, so I'll just go with the most recent I've dealt with, Saber from Fate/Stay Night. One of my favorite fights is in the Fate route where she has a duel with Rider while running up a skyscraper. I really hope ufotable gets around to animating that route eventually.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
So-and-so MacLeod of the clan MacLeod. There can be only one. And it's Connor. Erm... Duncan. Yes. Duncan.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
inu-kun said:
thaluikhain said:
inu-kun said:
The answer is obvious, CIAPHAS CAIN-HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

The guy managed to spar with a chaos space marine for frak sake.
Eh, lots of ordinary humans do that. Gaunt has done that lots of time, for example.
Don't know about the last 3 books, but Gaunt had only managed to kill one with stealth, meanwhile Cain fought face to face with a chaos space marine of khorne and an orc warboss with a simple chainsword.
Not that impressive considering chaos marines, especially Khorne ones, come with such a ridiculous variance in quality. Could very well be that he fought against a carebear berserker instead of a Kharn-type one.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
inu-kun said:
Don't know about the last 3 books, but Gaunt had only managed to kill one with stealth, meanwhile Cain fought face to face with a chaos space marine of khorne and an orc warboss with a simple chainsword.
In Necropolis, towards the very end, Gaunt is fighting some chaos thingy, and thinks that this is harder than when he'd fought marines.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Talwin hawkins aka taln of the silver hawk. Raymond e feist riftwar cycle.

Champion of the masters court greatest swordsman in the world

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Given that I'm halfway through reading Game of Thrones I'm inclined to say Syrio Forel. Thoros of Myr does have a flaming fucking sword though, so he might win purely out of rule of cool, although Syrio is pretty damn cool all by himself.

Boy, girl, You are a sword, that is all

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sleekit said:
Hoplon said:
jhoroz said:
Sleekit said:
jhoroz said:
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this guy yet...

i dunno who that is and i'm not seeing a sword...
That's Guts from Berserk and it's pretty obvious his holding the hilt of a great sword...
looks like a hammer handle.
that's what i thought...but i see the blade now...

he must have some wrists...
That'd be wrist in the singular, actually. He hacked off his other arm with the broken shard of a sword. I'm not sure whether I should deduct points for that or add them.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
I'd say either Lucius the Eternal, simply by virtue of being in the WH40k universe and being technically immortal or Vergil from DMC because of his Iaijutsu-style dimension-slashing awesomeness.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Hoplon said:
jhoroz said:
Sleekit said:
jhoroz said:
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this guy yet...

i dunno who that is and i'm not seeing a sword...
That's Guts from Berserk and it's pretty obvious his holding the hilt of a great sword...
looks like a hammer handle.
Here's a better picture:

The fact he handles this monstrosity with only one hand puts him ahead of most examples in this thread for me.