Who is the best fictional swordsman of all time?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'd go Fulgrim or Sigismund. I mean a Primarch, for fucks sake! Fulgrim could draw a blade, slash Vader's head off, sheath his blade, and throw his hair back to billow in the wind in less than a second.

Remember, Primarchs were the type of guys that could go toe-to-toe with Superman and have a pretty decent chance of winning.

VectorSlip

Sep 17, 2014
Step 1: Ctrl + f
Step 2: Search madara uchiha
Step 3: Receive 0 results

Seriously? No one is talking about Madara Uchiha? And I?m not talking about Edo Tensei Madara Uchiha. I?m talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Madara Uchiha with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano?o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju?s DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu.

I mean there is no stronger fictional swordsman, Nay fictional character than Uchiha Madara

In all seriousness though i've always been partial to Afro Samurai. I mean we've seen what he could do with the Number 2 headband. Imagine what he could do with the number one headband

Prince of Ales

Nov 5, 2014
William Ossiss said:
None of you mentioned the best swordsman of all.
Drizzt Do'Urden
Came in this topic to post this. I suppose there's a little bit of magic involved when you consider the stupid amounts of legendary items he's gotten hold of over the years, but that's on paper. If you've read the books, he's an absolute magician when it comes to swordplay. He's the full package. He's got the skill. But he's also got a tactical mind and the kind of persona and thick skin needed to outplay his opponents. He's basically got every aspect of swordplay covered.

In other words, if Salvatore (EDIT: not Salvador, stop thinking Borderlands, stupid brain) was a bad writer, then Drizzt would be a shit protagonist. Lets say it like it is. Anybody can write a superman, but it takes skill to write a superman who's an interesting character.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
VectorSlip said:
Seriously? No one is talking about Madara Uchiha?
I'm still not done dancing on Naruto's grave that shit went on for far too long, but Doesn't that confusingly motivated ponse weild some sort of ridiculous fan? or maybe a scythe if google is to be believed.

I'd say the best fictional swordsman I know is Conan the Barbarian.
That mullet!

I don't think he's ever lost a fair 1 on 1 fight or a fight consisting of him vs a small army, the only thing that can really stop him is magic. Which to be fair everyone should be given a free pass for, he is also pretty famous for killing wizards anyway.

Runner up being Guts from the Berserk Manga though.

Trollhoffer

Jan 2, 2013
Fictional characters are typically poor swordsman, whatever their reputation in-universe. This is particularly true of more recent entertainment media, and especially games. Ever notice how game systems, even real time ones, have a "I go, you go, I go" style of swordplay? Plenty of modern films do it as well, although there are counterpoints in the likes of the original Star Wars films, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, etc.

What makes a sword good isn't its raw killing power, after all. Axes have that covered. Spears reach further. Daggers operate at such close range that defending against them is very difficult. What swords specifically do well is merging offense and defense. I'll explain:

Imagine that you have a sword in hand and are facing off against an opponent. You see yourself from a side view, like a fighting game. If you were to extend your sword so that you're using its maximum length or close to that, your sword arm and sword would make a straight or nearly straight line connecting with your opponent's jaw, neck, shoulder, or upper chest. If you want to strike a target outside of this upper body zone, your range necessarily decreases as your straight line becomes more diagonal. This means that, if you can make an opponent use their maximum range at all times, then their strikes must always pass through a single, predictable point of extension. If you can consistently intercept and control this point, then you're likely to win without harm to yourself.

Knowing this, you can make your sword's recovery posture (the position you're in after a strike) pass through or end connected to this point. This way, your attacks double as defenses, and you never have to do something so crass as commit to a standard parry. Parrying isn't good swordplay -- it's damage control for when you fall behind. All you need to do is attack in a way that defends you until you successfully strike your opponent. Pretty much everything else worth doing is to do with strategic nuances. You might take a defensive guard at the beginning of the engagement, using a reactive strategy, but you'll still be using that central point of extension as your reference point for defense; the only change here is that you're trying to make your opponent commit so you can win by exploiting a clear opening as soon as possible.

Obviously, there's more to swordplay than this one point of extension, but it's very often the piece of knowledge that separates actual swordsmen from people with swords. Just about every strong style of swordplay has at least one guard that directly references this point of extension in its posture, whether that's the Japanese chuudan or the German langenort. Good styles of swordplay teach how to ensure that cuts and thrusts pass through this point to maximise one's capacity to intercept attacks while attacking. This concept, where a swordsman accomplishes multiple things in one unit of time, is a key element of swordplay that is rarely referenced in entertainment media these days.

The Berserk OVAs had really good swordplay, mind. A great compromise between entertainment needs and true techniques. Probably because there wasn't much compromise, and the OVAs often used impact effects and camera angles to frame real techniques in exciting ways (although there are definitely instances of exaggeration or silliness, too).

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
The Count of Monte Cristo. You'd be a pretty good swordsman too if you had nothing else to do but plan revenge and an unlimited amount of wealth.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
VectorSlip said:

Seriously? No one is talking about Madara Uchiha?[/spoiler]
Well, the OP did say no magic. Pretty much every single notable character in Naruto uses 'magic' with the exception of Guy and Lee. What we're looking for are characters that are strong based solely on their physical prowess & skills with a blade.

My vote would definitely go to Guts: as much as I like Zoro, Mihawk is still far stronger right now.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
The Madman said:
I can't for the life of me remember the characters name, I believe it was something along the lines of Garrett if my memory doesn't fail me, but he was a character in one of Terry Brooks earliest Shannara series. He was pretty great. No mystical powers of anything, just an enigmatic weapons master beyond compare, I'll admit I'm always a sucker for those sorts of characters.
I REMEMBER THAT GUY! It's Garet Jax the Weapons Master! God it's been years since I've read that book but I remember that badass! He died from a creatures poison, but slew the thing as he died.

As for my personal favorite fictional swordsman...

TheArcaneThinker said:
Otherwise , Samurai Jack . Best fictional samurai of all time imo .
What this guy said. It can only be Samurai Jack. I mean just watch this and tell me otherwise:

God that scene gives me goosebumps...

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
He uses a heck of a lot more than just a Sword, but I'm gonna have to go with Ogami Itto, of the "Lone Wolf and Cub" series. Dude probably kills about 700 guys per movie. Plus he has an awesome voice and basically sounds like a Japanese Demon come to life.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Dryzdale said:
But he's beaten in a straight up duel by Westley, therefore Inigo can't be the best.
fix-the-spade said:
Even he could hold no candle to The Dread Pirate Roberts... WHO TAKES NO PRISONERS.
True, but if you want to get technical about things, Westley was primarily a pirate who also so happened to be very good with a sword, whereas Inigo actually was a career swordsman. Ergo, Inigo is the best pure swordsman, even if Westley is better at swordfighting.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Gotta be the Cardboard Tube Samurai [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/01/15/chronicle-of-cardboard-tube-samurai]! >:D

Legyndlost

Dec 17, 2010
snappydog said:
There's a lot of other great mentions here, but I haven't seen anyone bring up Skilgannon, Waylander and probably a few others from David Gemmell's books. Almost all of his heroes are impossibly good with a blade, although I'm not sure how many of them are non-magical pure humans.
Gemmell's works were my first thought too. While I'm sure it's contested, for me Decado (aka The Ice Killer) was always clearly the finest swordsman. He'd be my choice, both for skill and for being a cool/compelling character.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Breakdown said:
Ned Stark. He beat Ser Arthur Dayne. He maybe had some help though.

It's maybe an obscure choice, but Bremer Dan Gorst from Joe Abercrombie's book The Heroes. He's a killing machine powered by his rage over having a ridiculously high pitched voice.
Bremer Dan Gorst is incredible. Although I wonder, would he best the Bloody-Nine? He's got the advantage of his armour, and his brutal style of windmilling through everything with over-heavy steels, but the Bloody-Nine is basically a remorseless killing god. I think that one might come down to equipment.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I'm going to have to go with Emperor Palpatine. He doesn't even particularly like lightsaber combat, but he's only been beaten at it once, by what might have been the best swordsmaster to ever be a part of the Jedi Order, Mace Windu, and I'm still not sure if that was thrown as a ploy to put the final nail in the coffin and corrupt Anakin. Couple that with his frankly absurd proficiency with the Force, and I feel comfortable saying he could take on any other swordsman from any other franchise.

Notice how he lets them down from the window? Notice how he lets there be a fight at all? Also, spoilers for character death.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fox12 said:
"Legendary" weapons, like the master sword and Excalibur are fine,
Ahhhh but doesn't the Master Sword's frickin' lazer beam kinda disqualify it and therefor Link? :p

TakerFoxx said:
His name is Inigo Montoya, and God help you if you kill his father.
My name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my hamster...
Bystander 1: "Father..."
Bystander 2: "THAT'S NOT EVEN A PERSON!!!"

OT: Wow, 3 pages in, and 3 pages of WRONG answers.

It's quite obvious, the greatest fictional swordsman isn't Himura Kenshin, but rather his master: Hiko Seijuro.

What you're looking at there is Absolute Death. I mean for crying out loud, even the Super Power Wiki uses Hiko as the basis for the "power" of "Ultimate Fighter"!

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Fighter

He is but a man, however. He just happens to be the greatest swordsman ever. :p

Captcha: Easy As Cake
See? Even Captcha knows it! :p

Ken Carlson

Sep 30, 2012
As for Guts, I have to disagree with a lot of what's being said here. When he was branded, he was given extra strength and endurance (which is why he can even wield the Dragonslayer in the first place). The sword he used before that was quite a bit smaller. (Granted, it's been awhile since I've read the manga, the author takes too many large gaps in publication)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
trollnystan said:
No one has mentioned Himura Kenshin. I am disappoint son.

Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favourite mangas (anime was a bit meh) and I haven't read any Beserk or et al, so yeah Kenshin get's my vote.
The only problem is that not only is there a better swordsman than Kenshin out there, but said swordsman comes from Kenshin's own universe!

*points to his previous post a couple posts above this one*

Kenshin's master. :3

VectorSlip

Sep 17, 2014
EbonBehelit said:
VectorSlip said:

Seriously? No one is talking about Madara Uchiha?[/spoiler]
Well, the OP did say no magic. Pretty much every single notable character in Naruto uses 'magic' with the exception of Guy and Lee. What we're looking for are characters that are strong based solely on their physical prowess & skills with a blade.

My vote would definitely go to Guts: as much as I like Zoro, Mihawk is still far stronger right now.
Well The majority of my post was a joke. What I used was an old copy pasta about how madara is the strongest character in all of fiction. My real vote would go to Afro. Though I did forget about mihawk. I wonder how he would fare against the owner of the number one headband.

Trollhoffer

Jan 2, 2013
Ken Carlson said:
As for Guts, I have to disagree with a lot of what's being said here. When he was branded, he was given extra strength and endurance (which is why he can even wield the Dragonslayer in the first place). The sword he used before that was quite a bit smaller. (Granted, it's been awhile since I've read the manga, the author takes too many large gaps in publication)
I don't think it's stated anywhere that the brand gives Guts any supernatural ability, apart from being able to slay demons. I always thought it was simply his size, physical conditioning and willpower that allowed him to wield it. Additionally, there's a magnet in his fake hand that snaps the pommel of the sword into position; that kind of pulling technique is a stock standard part of effective two-handed sword use (it allows you to strike with them without pulling the sword back significantly).