Who's sticking as a PC gamer this generation?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
EDIT: ^ fwiffo: Wow, that was a masterful snipe. Hat's off to you sir.

I don't have a TV, so for me, entering the console world would cost more than buying a new mid range laptop when the time comes.

I really don't get people who say that consoles are cheaper, a TV, cable sub, and a console will come out to about the same price as a decent gaming laptop, granted I upgrade my laptops every 5 years or so while a console gets a new release closer to 10.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I was always a PC gamer (well, technically I have started off with a Chinese bootleg NES, but that hardly counts as I couldn't understand the games at all and the only reason I could finish a bunch of them was because of sheer determination and the immense amount of free time only childhood can account for). I got my first tabletop when I was fourteen, which was a laughable 2Ghz Celeron, 256Mb RAM, 32Mb VRAM office machine that I somehow still managed to whip into use. After a few upgrades it actually managed to run most games, and I actually became such an optimization-hound that even managed to run Half Life 2 with a decent frame rate even though all my specs were waaaay below the minimum requirements.

Then I got myself a decent laptop when I got 18, and I never looked back since then, using up two other laptops in the meantime. Nowadays I cannot even imagine myself using a tabletop, as in my opinion a good laptop can fulfill all the roles your PC already can, and then some, while eating less electricity and taking up less space. The current machine I use is an AMD Turion II 2.3Ghz machine with 3Gb ram and a 1Gb AMD Radeon 5450, which wasn't a great machine even in 2011 when I got it, yet it still serves me pretty damn well, I can run most modern games after slight tweaking and, most importantly, I can play Skyrim and Fallout NV, the only two games I keep returning to, on high setting without a problem. Really, the only reason why I would ever switch over to a console would be if the manufacturer would pay for me. On the other hand, show me a console that is portable, lets you play games, watch movies, anime, TV series,, browse the internet, read manga and ebooks, play niche stuff like visual novels and browser-mmos' and lets you do a thousand other things as well, and I might just change my mind. :p

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
I'll stick with the PC, as always. Why should I go for consoles when I can play games like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, StarCraft 2, Star Citizen, Dreamfall Chapters, Torment and others on the PC?

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
I'm sticking with PCs as I have for most of my life, but console additions are more then welcome. Looks like the only exclusion from my collection will be the Xbone for the foreseeable future.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I will definitely be staying as a PC gamer. None of the new consoles or games interest me, and I'm fucked spending XYZ pounds on what is basically a tablet I have to pay continuously to enjoy.

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever been this dissatisfied with E3 before. :/

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Personally speaking, I don't particularly care about consoles. I'd rather have one machine that can do everything. Also, I suck at using controllers for anything other than platforming.

That said, if the new XBox is any indication of what microsoft are planning for future OS... well, I can't really see a mass exodus to Linux happening, that's for sure =\

(Though it would be nice if it did happen! I put Ubuntu on my old computer, which is about 6-7 years old and it runs some things better than my current machine D= )

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
My favorite part of this thread is people comparing the new consoles to tablets. Continue the circlejerk, please.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'll be getting a WiiU at some point, bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade look too awesome not to get one for.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I have no interest in consoles (besides the humorous wars and drama that they generate), so I guess that applies to me. I don't really upgrade my computer though, haven't since 2009. It still plays most of the games I am interesting in, and I can handle more modern ones on moderate settings no problem. Money is always an issue, too.

On top of that, the real reasons why I haven't bothered with consoles for year is the majority of the games I play are either exclusive to PC or just handle better on PC. Besides, I feel a lot more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse than I do a controller. So there's that, too.

I do enjoy the console wars though. They are fun to watch, seeing all the butthurt and drama and shit.
Damn right ma brother with another computa. *Bumps gaming mice

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I'm doing what I always do - play what I want on what I want. I'm not going to say "oh, I don't like that the consoles do 5 months before they are released, so I'm going to only play games on PC for the next 10 years". I have a PC and every console since the N64 hooked up to my TV right now (or at least the ability to play games from every console since then - Wii U can play Wii games, PS2 can play PS1 games, etc). I go through phases and switch between them. For a while it was just PC, now I've been playing my PS3 a lot, and really will with The Last of Us coming out soon. I'll probably, eventually, get a PS4, but not on release unless they have a few games I want to play right away.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I have been a PC gamer for years, mostly because I play game genres that are either inferior on, or entirely absent from, the consoles. I don't see this changing in the new generation either.

Edit: Grammar Error

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Can't I be both? I'm doing just fine as both at the minute. I play Halo 4, CoD, Far Cry 3 and BF3 on Xbox 360 - and Planetside 2, Walking Dead Episodes, Deus Ex, Civ, Shogun and Rollercoaster Tycoon on PC.

Looking at what MS are doing, I'll be getting Destiny, Battlefield 4, Last of Us via stream services, Watch Dogs and GTA 5 on PS4 - and keep gaming on my PC for anything and everything else.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC for gaming once I've finished my other projects, but I'm also buying a PS4 at some point.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'll probably be getting a PS4, but not right away. Maybe a WiiU if I end up having the money and they release DS and 3DS games on the estore. I may get a few more games for my 360, as well.

But I have a really, really good computer (i7 3770, 8gb ram, GTX670), and if the game comes out for consoles and PC? I get the PC version. Even if I have to wait (I'm looking at you, State of Decay).

In a lot of games I prefer the controller, as my hands are quite arthritic, but I have to have the customization and I can't shoot worht a damn with a controller. So if it's Mass Effect or Skyrim, or any game that involves aiming... PC it is. And I can also use a controller in many PC games if I want to, anyway.

Edit: I love RPGs and some games are worth buying a console for, like FF and KH. I won't limit myself to one system... but I think I will stay far,f ar away from the Xbone on principle.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I never understand the point of these threads o_O it's like "Oh hey, console news, EVERYONE! I PLAY PC BECAUSE ITS BETTER! JUST ESTABLISHING THAT BEFORE WE TALK ABOUT ANYTHING!"

I mean, I use my laptop for gaming too, but the topic wording is just... ahhh I'm complaining over nothing.

I'm looking at PS4 like everyone else, not least cos Xbone's illegal in Europe due to our trade laws.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I've been considering getting a WiiU for a while, and now with the announcement of Megaman in Smash Bros. I'm leaning more towards it than ever.

The 3DS is also a possibility.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I just assembled a new rig with a 660ti, gen 4 i5 at 3.6 ghz and an SSD. However, I've owned a console for every generation since the Atari 2600, and I'll almost certainly buy a PS4 at some point, and maybe a Wii U once it has enough games for me to consider it worth the price. PC gaming has too many benefits for me to ignore and if there were no such things as exclusives, I'd probably never buy a console. The power I can exercise over my PC is just too great.

Captcha: moot point

I wish captcha, I wish.