Who's sticking as a PC gamer this generation?

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
There are very few games that come out on consoles exclusively that I want to play. I have access to a PS3 and 40+ games that a friend gave me but there are only a handful that have caught my eye. Most of the games I already have on PC or would rather play on PC.

Other than the odd game I'm going to be gaming on the PC for the foreseeable future.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I'm most likely going to stay PC, because, as an incoming College student, I need to preserve as much money as possible.

Plus, my machine can handle games from at least 5 years ago, which, ironically, is better than any new console.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I skipped the last and was planning on getting a console this generation but I don't think I will now. The only real reason I want one is for the games that don't come to the PC and that isn't enough of a motivator anymore. It would be a waste on money. It's not like there is any shortage of games on PC I want but can't afford or don't have time to play so I don't need to add a console to that mix.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i probably will be almost exclusively PC this generation, although that may change eventually and i know i will get a WiiU when they release a NEW Legend Of Zelda and a good metroid (fuck Other M)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'll ride my PS3 as long as I can. Fuck getting a new console.

Could update my rig I suppose, once I have adequate justification for it.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I'll probably keep using my laptop to play smaller releases and pick up a PS4 for the big AAA titles. Sometime down the line I may get a good PC if enough of the Xbone not quite exclusives wow me enough.

Poerts

Nov 18, 2009
If only Japanese Devs released games on the PC. I'm going to grab either the WiiU or PS4 just so I can play some Japanese developed games. I really miss their unique quirks and design-styles when I play only Western ones, as much I love them. If it wasn't for the Japanese dislike for the PC, I would go PC Gamer Master-race and never look back.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
I'm gonna convert with help from my PC-Gaming brother. Maybe I'll get a PS4 later, but probably not, I can survive on a good PC and continue owning and playing my 360 (which I bought instead of a PS3 only due to already owning about seven games for one).

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Been a PC gamer pretty much exclusively since the 8-bit era, don't see any reason for that to change this generation.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I have a 360, used to have a PS3 and have played PC games through the console wars since the days of the SNES. Sony earned some real points with me so far and, if I DID get a new box for the TV, theirs is a clear front runner.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Why would I shell out 400$ for what amounts to a tablet? Because Sony put Final Fantasy on it?

Wow, this maybe be the most hyperbolic statement I have read on the Internet all week. Both PS4 and Xbox one far surpass general tablets in power and gaming functionality. Plus a decent entry level tablet runs around 400 dollars or more depending on brand. Honestly nothing in the above statement makes sense.

OT: I am going to do what I did last generation. I am going to buy consoles and upgrade my PC as it makes sense to do so. Eventually I will end up with every next-gen platform, though I see this taking several year unless I win the lottery.
They run on Tablet components, and budget priced components at that. The Jaguar is said to be around 1.5-2 GHz in processing power, which is horrible. It being an APU does not give it confidence.
Umm. The PS4 and new Xbox run on semi-custom built jaguar chips that have more cores then the tablet specific version. Which is hardly the samething a made out of "tablet" components as that implies that I could buy a tablet with a console processor inside of it. Not a chip related to the PS4 chip, but the exact chip. Also I have yet to find a tablet with a blu-ray drive in it. Or a tablet capable of playing the games they are showing off at E3.

So yes they are using a processor drived from a processor developed for the form factor market. That does make it bad a bad thing. It makes it better on power useage and temperature control then a full blown desk top CPU.

Still stupid to compare the new consoles to tablet. They are not in the same ballpark.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I am transferring to PC this generation. Most of the games I want are multiplatform on the PC. Also the upgrades my rig needs cost about the same as a new console.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
endtherapture said:
I am for one. I still think sticking as a PC gamer using GoG.com, Steam and Amazon will be the cheapest way for me,

None of the consoles seem to offer me any experience that the PC can't give me and just seem to actually get in the way of gaming what with the used games fees, and apparently an Xbox-live type service for Playstation.

So who else is just going to keep doing what they've been doing as a PC gamer - a couple of upgrades per gen (maybe even just one if this isn't a absurdbly long generation), kickstarting games, picking them up in the Steam sale, and getting cheap indie games via the Humble Bundle?
I will continue to be a mostly PC gamer, but will be getting the PS4 for its exclusives and possibly the Wii U. The XBone however is banned from my household.

Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Why would I shell out 400$ for what amounts to a tablet? Because Sony put Final Fantasy on it?

Wow, this maybe be the most hyperbolic statement I have read on the Internet all week. Both PS4 and Xbox one far surpass general tablets in power and gaming functionality. Plus a decent entry level tablet runs around 400 dollars or more depending on brand. Honestly nothing in the above statement makes sense.

OT: I am going to do what I did last generation. I am going to buy consoles and upgrade my PC as it makes sense to do so. Eventually I will end up with every next-gen platform, though I see this taking several year unless I win the lottery.
They run on Tablet components, and budget priced components at that. The Jaguar is said to be around 1.5-2 GHz in processing power, which is horrible. It being an APU does not give it confidence.
First off, as a fellow PC gamer with multiple high end PC's, stop being an elitist. Hardware capacity doesn't determine how good a game is and consoles always have and always will be budget gaming PCs. They however can usually be pushed further due to optimisation since the devs know exactly what hardware is in them etc.

Having said that, while the XBone and PS4 are running on the jaguar chips that does not mean their running at 1.2-2Ghz. What you need to remember is that their not portable and needing to keep the clock speed down to save battery, and as already announced they used a 'modified' (Im betting over clocked) version. The consoles look like they have some decent cooling built into them so its safe to say they are over clocked to probably 3-3.5Ghz. Also, CPUs for the most part haven't changed much in the last 10 years on the desktop scene, its the RAM and most importantly the GPU that makes the biggest difference as games graphics and physics rely on them, where as AI and the games themselves haven't changed much in decades, it really is just the GPU's workload that's been going up.

As for APUs, well for a console they will do well, as I said consoles are just cheap PC's and really hardware is getting to the point that even cheap stuff is able to do high end graphics, I don't expect games to change much in that regard for awhile atleast.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
endtherapture said:
I am for one. I still think sticking as a PC gamer using GoG.com, Steam and Amazon will be the cheapest way for me,

None of the consoles seem to offer me any experience that the PC can't give me and just seem to actually get in the way of gaming what with the used games fees, and apparently an Xbox-live type service for Playstation.

So who else is just going to keep doing what they've been doing as a PC gamer - a couple of upgrades per gen (maybe even just one if this isn't a absurdbly long generation), kickstarting games, picking them up in the Steam sale, and getting cheap indie games via the Humble Bundle?
Ya im gonna stick as a pc gamer with the exception of kingdom hearts 3 since it won' be coming out on the pc. Ill get a ps4 just to play it lol.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:

Umm. The PS4 and new Xbox run on semi-custom built jaguar chips that have more cores then the tablet specific version. Which is hardly the samething a made out of "tablet" components as that implies that I could buy a tablet with a console processor inside of it. Not a chip related to the PS4 chip, but the exact chip. Also I have yet to find a tablet with a blu-ray drive in it. Or a tablet capable of playing the games they are showing off at E3.

So yes they are using a processor drived from a processor developed for the form factor market. That does make it bad a bad thing. It makes it better on power useage and temperature control then a full blown desk top CPU.

Still stupid to compare the new consoles to tablet. They are not in the same ballpark.
Since a lot of the games they shown at E3 were played on a PC, that is not a good thing for their power.

How many times did we see the consoles actually play a game with our own eyes? And not a controller hooked up to a PC? You can say "oh but look at E3 graphics" but you fail to notice E3 is meant just for marketing and chest thumping. The graphics on there rarely is the graphics at release.

It can easily be spruced up to look better than it actually will be. Hell, a modification of a CPU can only go so far. Power and temp should NEVER be a factor in a console. Console gamers don't care about power draw, or how hot their parts are getting unless it destroys the console.

Console gamers don't care unless it is about games.
Yes E3 is a huge cover up all the games shown will not function that well on their console counterparts. I am so very glad you pointed this out Sony and Microsoft have been lying to us all.

Or and this is crazy but follow me here.

All the games are running on prototype dev kits. they were PCs duh but they were running on console specs.

Also as a persons who owns a monolith PS3 I can tell you that I care about temperature control and power consumption because I can't stand to listen to the system wind tunnel run on my PS3 whenever I watch a DVD.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:

Since a lot of the games they shown at E3 were played on a PC, that is not a good thing for their power.

How many times did we see the consoles actually play a game with our own eyes? And not a controller hooked up to a PC? You can say "oh but look at E3 graphics" but you fail to notice E3 is meant just for marketing and chest thumping. The graphics on there rarely is the graphics at release.

It can easily be spruced up to look better than it actually will be. Hell, a modification of a CPU can only go so far. Power and temp should NEVER be a factor in a console. Console gamers don't care about power draw, or how hot their parts are getting unless it destroys the console.

Console gamers don't care unless it is about games.
Yes E3 is a huge cover up all the games shown will not function that well on their console counterparts. I am so very glad you pointed this out Sony and Microsoft have been lying to us all.

Or and this is crazy but follow me here.

All the games are running on prototype dev kits. they were PCs duh but they were running on console specs.

Also as a persons who owns a monolith PS3 I can tell you that I care about temperature control and power consumption because I can't stand to listen to the system wind tunnel run on my PS3 whenever I watch a DVD.
Its an event that millions of people watch, and you don't think they will MARKET that?

Demos were MADE with the best graphics, sound, and showiness they can cram in. Its just like the picture of food looking better than the real thing.

Hell, how did you KNOW it was console specs? Did they open it up and show everyone its not an I5 with a 7 series Radeon? Are you really going to trust marketing 100% when they say "this is the best game ever?"
More then once it was mentions on several lived streams that I watched by developers presenters and press that the were running games on dev kits run console speces.

I am not prepared to 100% blindly trust marketing, but I am prepared to use my brain and deduce that showing off games that look better then they actually will be, and lying about it is dangerous and counter productive.