Who's your favorite samurai?

Washboard

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!
Dec 17, 2008
Easy, William Adams (Anjin-sama), First english guy in japan and Samuria William :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Sanjuro would be my top pick.
The nameless samurai from Sword of the Stranger would be my second.
History wise either Honda Tadakatsu or Sanada Yukimura.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
The only two who are truly worth mentioning...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hitokiri_Gensai said:
well, Okita was a master swordsmen without a doubt, but Kondo Isami is the reason Okita became such a swordsmen, and Hijikata is the one who set the rules and regulations within the Shinsengumi, as well as being the creator of the forward stab that became a staple of the Tennen Rishin Ryu.
True enough, though about Hijikata... I thought he never mastered Tennen-Rishin-ryu, he only enrolled because of his brother-in-law (or similar relation) hence how he came into contact with Kondo. Though he did adapt it (albeit very well) into the Shinsengumi's standard fighting style. Regardless, he's got quite a romantic end to his story, hasn't he?

Anyway, all that aside, no love for Nagakura? He was debatably as good as Saito and Souji.

Jakub324 said:
Katsumoto from the Last Samauri because... well, he's just that awseome.
I so prefer Ujio (largely because Sanada Hiroyuki is a brilliant actor, and actually knows his way around a sword unlike most of the rest of the main cast).

TheTim said:
Souji Okita from peacemaker
Why? Because he could so kick anyone's arse... and be soooooooooooo camp while doing it? (Not to mention Saizo, who is actually quite adorable...)

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
As for real people It would be Miyamoto Musashi, he dressed himself as a sick vagrant in order to confuse his opponent as to have an advantage in battle. He once fought off an entire school of students, escaping with his life using only random items. And best of all on the way to duel his rival he carved a spare oar on the boat into a boken and then delivered the killing blow with it during their battle.

Now admittedly I'm not sure If he was a "Samurai" exactly, but hey, the OP said Auron.

As for fictional I would say Tetsuo Umizawa, a character from Magic the Gathering lore who defeated Nicol Bolas, Nicol being an ancient evil dragon deity who can be seen as Magic's mixture of Satan, Cthulu, and Hitler.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Sunrider84 said:
Realitycrash said:

..Did I mention he can bend time and space?
Call me a retard and whatnot, but I have no idea who that is. Enlighten me please. =)
Hiro Nakamura is corporate employee and classic comic-book nerd from Japan. He discovers that he has the ability to manipulate the Space-Time Continuum, and sets out to save New York from blowing up via a Nuclear Explosion. During this adventure, he meets himself from the future, telling him to "Save the cheerleader, save the world". His future self wields the Kensei-sword, an ancient Samurai sword who used to belong to the legendary hero Takezo-Kensei, prompting present-day Hiro to go snag the present-day sword for himself. Later on in the story, he travels back in time by mistake, back to Japan during the time Kensei lived. There he partly becomes Kensei by fulfilling many of his legendary actions (as the "real" Kensei is just a useless drunk until Hiro shows up and forces him to become a hero), thus partly making himself his own future inspiration for heroism (Look up "Closed Time Loop" on wikipedia).
It's implied that he's trained Bushido his entire life, and his father is a Bushido-master.

The "future" Hiro has fully mastered his Space-Time powers, becoming virtually unstoppable unless taken by surprise (Invisible person or someone with pre-cog abilities), and can freeze time over a large area, slow time, teleport where he want, time-travel to whenever, etc etc.

In short: Hiro > Everyone else. Though mostly because he's such a huge clumsy Otaku, and it makes him loveable.
He's a character from the show Heroes.

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Hitokiri_Gensai said:
well, Okita was a master swordsmen without a doubt, but Kondo Isami is the reason Okita became such a swordsmen, and Hijikata is the one who set the rules and regulations within the Shinsengumi, as well as being the creator of the forward stab that became a staple of the Tennen Rishin Ryu.
True enough, though about Hijikata... I thought he never mastered Tennen-Rishin-ryu, he only enrolled because of his brother-in-law (or similar relation) hence how he came into contact with Kondo. Though he did adapt it (albeit very well) into the Shinsengumi's standard fighting style. Regardless, he's got quite a romantic end to his story, hasn't he?

Anyway, all that aside, no love for Nagakura? He was debatably as good as Saito and Souji.
true he never achieved the Menkyo Kaiden status but his leadership and skill with a sword was instramental in the formation and regulation of the Shinsengumi. The style that was ultimately taught to new recruits was based around stabbing techniques, as the Shinsengumi was a police force fighting indoors in and in the narrow alleyways of Kyoto, and the wider arc of a cut would prove to be difficult at best to achieve.

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
HeySeansOnline said:
As for real people It would be Miyamoto Musashi, he dressed himself as a sick vagrant in order to confuse his opponent as to have an advantage in battle. He once fought off an entire school of students, escaping with his life using only random items. And best of all on the way to duel his rival he carved a spare oar on the boat into a boken and then delivered the killing blow with it during their battle.

Now admittedly I'm not sure If he was a "Samurai" exactly, but hey, the OP said Auron.

As for fictional I would say Tetsuo Umizawa, a character from Magic the Gathering lore who defeated Nicol Bolas, Nicol being an ancient evil dragon deity who can be seen as Magic's mixture of Satan, Cthulu, and Hitler.
there actually no basis on the oar legend. Nor is there any historical data that Sasaki Koujirou ever existed. What is known for fact, is that after his 60th duel, Musashi put down his shinken, and picked up a Bokken, and continued to fight with, and win duels for the rest of his life with them. Theres a set of Bokken in Japan, that have been in a single family for hundreds of years, rumored to have belonged to Musashi himself.

Musashi is perhaps most famous in that, he never formally studied any form of swordsmenship, he had a tactical mind and was able to understand movement without the teaching of another. Hes forever known as the Kensei, or Sword Saint, of Japan.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Samurai F*****' Jack. Just for the fact that he can jump 50 feet high, has a robo arm, the favor of the gods, and how much of a total badass he is. All other samurai suck, Jack always wins.