Why all the halo haters?

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Your not a fanboy, Halo was the first xbox game ever.

Your a fan boy. This is pointless spam...

And once again another worthless use of the term hater.
Bad fanboy...

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I don't really hate it, but for me it's because it's very cliche and that has received more attention than it should instead of other excellent games like Beyond Good and Evil.
Alpha1089 said:
Excellent but shameless snip.
And basically all of that, except that I do not find Duke Nukem memorable, but I agree with every point you have made.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
my reason?

I played Halo, and I endured people going on and on about how AWESOME a FPS it was, how it revolutionized *everything* about FPS, and how it was soooooo awesoome, so damn awesome it could be potentially distilled into aweseomium and used to blow up the galaxy.

I played it, and it was a mediocre FPS that, if had been solely on the PC, would have died. Horribly.

Lo and Behold! The PC version of Halo was panned, not just because of broken crap, but because compared to games years its senior, it wasn't up to snuff.

Half-Life vs Halo 1.
Half-life wins, in this poster's opinion. The maps aren't repeated so damn much, the aliens are actually kind of scary, instead of grunts which are basically living comic relief. I watched a friend of mine beat it, beginning to end.
All I got out of it was that it was mediocre at best, and horrible at worst.

Yet suddenly its their new poster boy, a mediocre game being heralded as the apex of gaming when other games which are tons better, are ignored. Innovation is stifled, imagination is ignored in favor of copying a bland, un-imaginative mediocre game that yes, is decent, perhaps mediocre for a FPS on the console, but it was *nothing* compared to PC games of the time.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
thatguy779 said:
Halo was the first xbox game ever.

If halo didn't exist, then the xbox would not exist which means we would probably not have most of the 360 exclusives we know today. ex: gears of war,crackdown,and a bunch of other games I forget.
Logical fallacy. If Halo didn't exist then some other game would have been the first Xbox game. If we didn't have the 360 then those other games you listed would be on a different console.

I am asking why are there suddenly halo haters coming out of no where?
There are no Halo haters. There are only haters of Halo fanboys, and they have been around for as long as the fanboys have.

When halo 3 was the most played game on xbox live, there was barely any haters
Yes, there were.

Just because halo 3 is not the most played game on xbox live anymore doesn't mean that we are supposed to hate on it. Halo 3 is still the 2nd most played game on xbox live anyway.
Noone cares which is the most popular game.

and I'm wondering why they decided to attack halo now.
For the same reason they've been attacking it for the past decade:

If we want gaming to grow as a medium, we cannot afford to confuse competence with brilliance.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Because of fanboys going "OMG HALO IS TEH BEST GAME AND EPITOME OF CONSOLE SHOOTERZ!"

That is why I hate the idea of it. I'll still play it but im not joining the bandwagon of ignorant morons who think Halo's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I see it like this: The more popular a game the more people who play it. The more people who play it the more people who dislike it. It has nothing to do with quality, it's just the fact that a wider audience includes a wider number of haters.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Souplex said:
Korten12 said:
Souplex said:
It all has to do with fanboyism. PC gamers see Halo as the symbol of their obsolescence (Half Life 2 functions pretty well as that symbol, but that's just my opinion) Nintendo and Pony fans see it as the symbol of Microsoft, and people who don't like FPSes see it as the symbol of FPSes.
Pony Fans? :S was that a grammer mistake?
No, I just call them pony cause it's fun.
lawl that was a good laugh. xD

migo

Jun 27, 2010
CHIMP MAGNET said:
thatguy779 said:
Extraintrovert said:
You are an idiot. I'm probably going to be banned for this, but, still, you're an idiot. Firstly, there are plenty of other threads exactly like this one, some with the exact same question (!) so you should have referred to them. Secondly, everything that is loved also has people that hate it and vice versa. This is inevitable, as humans can never agree on anything, and is nothing new, you clearly just ignored it. Thirdly there are the things that are just plain wrong, like Halo being the first console shooter than worked (someone has never heard of Goldeneye) and Modern Warfare not existing because of Halo (Call of Duty went in an entirely different direction to Halo) and how you aren't a Halo fanboy (which you are, considering the above).

You're probably a troll anyway and I should ignore you, but I'm bored and here you are.
Uh hey ass. I got this account like 4 days ago so how am I supposed to know that there a dozen different "why the hate threads" when I barely even know how to use this website? Also you seem like a big troll since you attack someone for no reason.I never did anything to you so why do you have the urge to write negative comments? It's not like someone can come on this website and immediately know everything in every thread on this website. No I am not a halo fanboy. I also like call of duty,gears,gta 4, and other nonhalo games. Also even if call of duty went in a different direction, it is still a console shooter which means it is inspired by halo. In case you can't read, I WAS MAKING AN OPINION ANYWAY! God get a life.
Got to agree here. A remarkable level of Hypocrisy here and to back up his Mw2 argument if there were no halo, there wouldn't even be a xbox 360, 39 million xbox 360's have been sold so meaning that 39 million people could have not even be interested in gaming. seeing that xbox 360 was relised first means that sony and nintendo would not have introduced a new generation of consoles to compete with it, so this means that without halo the Ps3 Xbox 360 and wii may not have existed
Wow, this takes slippery slope arguments in a new, extreme and mind boggling direction.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Whenever you have a popular game it's gonna have haters. The fanboys contributes to this but people really hate the players more than the game itself.

I can understand how it people don't like it since it doesn't cater to their tastes but to say it's bad is just ignorant.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I highly doubt Halo was the first Xbox game ever.

And, I find the multiplayer a little boring and tedious, while the single player campaign is merely adequate. (unless you play with friends.)

But, I always thought it was alright.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
For one, it's over-hyped to the nth degree.

For two, a friend of mine has told me the Halo series has declined in quality since the original(I haven't played it myself, me+FPSs=fail).

For three,

thatguy779 said:
Also no, I am not a halo fanboy,
Yes you are. Not as bad as some, but you are defending a monstrosity of a series that doesn't really need defending. If that isn't a fanboy I don't know what is. Don't worry, I've been a fanboy myself, it's not the worst thing in the world, just don't get too overzealous.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
I was going to read all of it until I saw this and realised that you have no idea what you're talking about.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Timesplitters came out before Halo and was far better in the fun factor imo. Goldeneye as many have said was also a fantastic console FPS so I really don't know what you're talking about with Halo being the first good shooter on a console, there were plenty.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Some people hate Halo because it is popular, some people hate halo because it is on the x-box, x-box 360, and PC, and some people hate Halo because they don't like the game.

I don't like Halo because of the story. It basically falls down to Aliens bad, humans good. The game-play is fun and so the the multiplayer. I just don't care for the story which is a big factor to me in gaming. I hear that the books based on the Halo universe are quite good and explain much more about the characters. Not everyone is going to like what you like.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Soylent Bacon said:
Why all the "Why all the hate" threads?
And why all the hate on those "Why all the hate" threads?
There was a thread for that as well... Seek out your answers there.

These threads do need to stop though, not everyone is going to love your precious game. Get over it...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Because it's popular, and therefore to be "cool" and have a valid point of view, one must hate everything that is popular.

chippa6

Feb 2, 2010
I have a PS3 but the next comment isn't rampant fanboyism.

I've never been interested by it, I borrowed my mates 360 and enjoyed a lot of other exclusives but I couldnt get into Halo.

So if you like it good on you, its just not for me

Lordtommy

Apr 26, 2009
I never really liked Halo at all. I mean, I gave it a try, played through one and two, didn't much like the story myself. Plus the gravity effects felt all weird...I kinda like returning to the ground in a reasonable amount of time after jumping.

The trailers for Halo are always awesome and well done, which may be why so many people like it.. but games rarely turn out being as cool and intense as the trailer depicts them to be.
Anywho, I consider Halo to be a generic shooter..You're a guy with guns, and an extremely high tolerance for pain, killing hundreds of bad guys that hate you for no other reason than you exist.. (I know there's more to it than that, I read all the books and go the plot down).

As a game Halo sucks.. as an idea it's pretty dang awesome. It has a decent plot, good characters, and I know I would go see "Halo the movie" if they ever made it.