Why all the halo haters?

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Oh yeah, there's a lot of haters now because a new Halo game is coming out soon, so the time for hating is now.
Thanks to that MW2 MIGHT not be filled with the shit hackers and exploiters because they will be playing halo reach when reach comes out Ill give that game ONE last chance to amuse me.

sircashews

Dec 2, 2009
Maybe because it's fun to say you hate a game/game franchise that's popular for an arbitrary reason and watch fanboys come out to defendo the game/ game franchise and assault your post viciously. Then watch people who genuinely don't like the game/franchise come back and defend their dislike of the game/game franchise. It is kind of fun to watch it unfold.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.227373-So-I-dont-like-Mass-Effect#7807864

I would like to apologize for starting a mini flame war specifically in this post because it will never be found.

DragoonX13

Apr 15, 2009
thatguy779 said:
Halo was the first xbox game ever.
Good for Halo.
thatguy779 said:
If halo didn't exist, then the xbox would not exist which means we would probably not have most of the 360 exclusives we know today. ex: gears of war,crackdown,and a bunch of other games I forget.
No, if Halo did not exist, Microsoft would have just come up with a different launch title for the Xbox, which would eventually become the Xbox 360, which would still most likely have all the games you mentioned.
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
Hah. Hahaha...HAHAAHAHAHAHA. As others have mentioned, Goldeneye and even Light Gun games beat Halo a long time before it's release.
thatguy779 said:
Halo is a good all round shooter with an interesting background story.
It's a generic shooter with a meh backstory. I've read the books, I've played the games, I know the story, and I still don't like it.
thatguy779 said:
I am asking why are there suddenly halo haters coming out of no where? When halo 3 was the most played game on xbox live, there was barely any haters in my opinion(at least they were not very obvious).
They're not coming out of nowhere. I hated Halo once I played and beat the original, and haven't bought one since then. That does not mean, however, that I haven't played them, because I have friends like you, that force me to try them. And I have; and I still hate them. In fact, I feel they've degraded! Haters of Halo have been around since the beginning, Top Game on Xbox Live be damned.
thatguy779 said:
Everybody used to praise halo for it's awesome multiplayer,single player, and awesome main character in the form of Master chief.
"Everybody" is instantly wrong. Most things don't have not one exception. I did not praise Halo for it's multiplayer, single player, OR main character. I've seen FAR more interesting main characters, even in other generic shooters! I've seen single player done longer and better, and multiplayer done more interestingly.
thatguy779 said:
Then suddenly after modern warfare 2 comes out, the forums are filled with people hating on halo.
Once again; there has always been at least some people hating on Halo since it was released. MW2 was not the sole cause. It's just an excuse for some faggots who like to follow trends to ditch their last hobby and hate on Halo instead.
thatguy779 said:
Come on people! Just because halo 3 is not the most played game on xbox live anymore doesn't mean that we are supposed to hate on it. Halo 3 is still the 2nd most played game on xbox live anyway.Halo 2 was the most played game on original xbox until it got shutdown. Modern warfare 2 might not exist without halo! Hopefully when halo reach comes out,this hate will come to an end. This is just my opinion though.
Not even gonna bother mentioning the hate anymore. But MW2 not existing without Halo is a foolish idea. Call of Duty borrows far more heavily from..say, Medal Of Honor, as opposed to Halo. Your opinion is based on misconceptions.
thatguy779 said:
So what do you have to say about this?

Also no, I am not a halo fanboy, I'm just sick of all the haters and I'm wondering why they decided to attack halo now.
And y'know what. I really think that you are.

thatguy779 said:
Extraintrovert said:
You are an idiot. I'm probably going to be banned for this, but, still, you're an idiot. Firstly, there are plenty of other threads exactly like this one, some with the exact same question (!) so you should have referred to them. Secondly, everything that is loved also has people that hate it and vice versa. This is inevitable, as humans can never agree on anything, and is nothing new, you clearly just ignored it. Thirdly there are the things that are just plain wrong, like Halo being the first console shooter than worked (someone has never heard of Goldeneye) and Modern Warfare not existing because of Halo (Call of Duty went in an entirely different direction to Halo) and how you aren't a Halo fanboy (which you are, considering the above).

You're probably a troll anyway and I should ignore you, but I'm bored and here you are.
Uh hey ass. I got this account like 4 days ago so how am I supposed to know that there a dozen different "why the hate threads" when I barely even know how to use this website? Also you seem like a big troll since you attack someone for no reason.I never did anything to you so why do you have the urge to write negative comments? It's not like someone can come on this website and immediately know everything in every thread on this website. No I am not a halo fanboy. I also like call of duty,gears,gta 4, and other nonhalo games. Also even if call of duty went in a different direction, it is still a console shooter which means it is inspired by halo. In case you can't read, I WAS MAKING AN OPINION ANYWAY! God get a life.
He gets the urge to make negative comments because you're basing things on flawed conceptions. I too, have that urge. I was upset with you once I read the first two lines from the OP! You are a Halo fanboy, and you've proved it yourself by saying "even if it went in a differnt direction, it's a console shooter which makes it inspired by Halo". Bull. Shit. Just because it's a console shooter does not mean that Halo has helped to shape it. And I know your making an opinion, and I just don't give a shit. This is mine. Deal with it.

thatguy779 said:
I don't here anything about new golden eye games(except for the remake that will be on the wii) but I here a lot about new halo games. Also halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye didn't really help sell the wii when the wii first came out.
There will be new Halo games for quite some time. It's Microsoft, Halo is popular. Microsoft likes money. Do the math. Halo may have helped make the Xbox what it is today, but other games have helped, and Golden Eye doesn't have to sell the Wii. The Wii was sold under the pretense of Motion Controls, and the ORIGINAL Goldeneye helped shape the N64, and console shooters in general.

MajorKris

Aug 10, 2009
From what I can tell, people seem to hate on anything that is extremely popular, especially if they consider it to be overrated.

I enjoy Halo (Except Halo: Wars) but the fans of Halo and the community of Xbox Live, in general, annoy me. I only play multi-player with close friends.

Edit: I also forgot to mention how annoyed I was that the ODST campign bored the hell out of me...I hate weak stories. (I think "Rookie" wins the award for most useless character ever, "Oh! pretty object!" *Flashback Time*}

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
because its popular...and its so "cool" to hate popular things. It makes you a cynical badass instead of a massive tosser /sarcasm

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
migo said:
CHIMP MAGNET said:
Got to agree here. A remarkable level of Hypocrisy here and to back up his Mw2 argument if there were no halo, there wouldn't even be a xbox 360, 39 million xbox 360's have been sold so meaning that 39 million people could have not even be interested in gaming. seeing that xbox 360 was relised first means that sony and nintendo would not have introduced a new generation of consoles to compete with it, so this means that without halo the Ps3 Xbox 360 and wii may not have existed
Wow, this takes slippery slope arguments in a new, extreme and mind boggling direction.
I choose to think of it as brilliantly witty satire so far above my level of comprehension that it only looks moronic because I'm not smart enough to get it.

Khaiseri said:
I don't really hate it, but for me it's because it's very cliche and that has received more attention than it should instead of other excellent games like Beyond Good and Evil.
Alpha1089 said:
Excellent but shameless snip.
And basically all of that, except that I do not find Duke Nukem memorable, but I agree with every point you have made.

You don't have to like Duke to find him memorable. I mean, you've probably heard/seen these somewhere before:
"Damn, I'm good!"
"Eat shit and die."
"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum."

All Duke. On the other side, we have Master Chief. What exactly is there to remember him for?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
short answer: it ruined the FPS' genre IMO...

ninonybox360 said:
because its popular...and its so "cool" to hate popular things. It makes you a cynical badass instead of a massive tosser /sarcasm
Well do you like Halo?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
because yahtzee commands it! (j/k)

Honestly, there are perfectly good reasons to dislike Halo, I just disagree with all of them. Halo has been really the oldest "reliable" series I've played, and I look forward to every installment. Whether that will continue post-Bungie is yet to be seen.

Oh, and the people who say "It's just the same game every time!" just sound stupid. Plenty has changed between every game, but your obviously too busy trying to fit in with the rest of the sheep to actually play the goddam games and form your own opinion.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Ummn first off I find it extremely hard to believe if Halo wasn't developed Microsoft would not have bothered in the xbox..
Second off your statement that if not for Halo there would not first person shooters on the console... Most PC gamers would argue that would be a good thing, in all fairness while third person shooters kind of work (with the auto aim helper shoulder bar thing) FPS's dont really work on the console. by including the the console on release paths for rps's its kind of limited the capabilities of FPS's to support the console.
Arguably that why pc gamers dont like halo.

As for hate, I'd say very few gamers care enough about halo to hate it per se, more like they feel the same contempt for it that they feel for twilight, AOL, MAC products and any other craze that tries to mass market a treasured PC user jewels.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
thatguy779 said:
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
This is actually the one claim that i cant stand. I will always give Goldeneye for the N64 credit for really laying out the foundation for console shooters.

Edit: Aww ninja'd
Halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye did not really help make the wii famous when it first came out.
You are.... INCREDIBLY STUPID.

How old are you?
Obviously not old enough to understand what happens when people have different opinions than you and exercise their right of free speech.

Personally, I think Halo is alright. It lacked any real interesting gameplay mechanics or great storyline (Halos was barely able to keep me interested, but it did it's job). But I must admit it has one of the most interesting universes that I've ever indulged in.

But you are a keen example of why people think the Halo's demo-graphic are all 13 year old asses. You're giving Halo players and lovers a bad name, so just stop.

rookie.of.the.year

Jul 30, 2010
thatguy779 said:
Halo was the first xbox game ever.

If halo didn't exist, then the xbox would not exist
They didn't just make a game and then go 'argh! no! there isn't a console that'll play this format! we need to make the console!'

:/

I've only played halo 3, and I think 'The Flood' made it naff, and all the cheesy scenic shots of masterchief were really gay, I cant think of a beteter way to describe them. It suggested that masterchief was the most important to the game, rather than the story or gameplay.

SillyGodDisco

Oct 17, 2008
Honestly I'll hate on any game where the majority of the online population is 12 year olds talking about doing lewd things to my mother AND *SPOILER***** When the company thinks the best ending for a trilogy is to have their main hero sleep in space.A GREAT ending for a series that "revolutionized" the FPS genre.I guess it certainly didn't revolutionize story-telling at all because the story sucked.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Skeleton Jelly said:
thatguy779 said:
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:
This is actually the one claim that i cant stand. I will always give Goldeneye for the N64 credit for really laying out the foundation for console shooters.

Edit: Aww ninja'd
Halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye did not really help make the wii famous when it first came out.
You are.... INCREDIBLY STUPID.

How old are you?
Yep, that's a fair cop. Can't believe he said that. Goldeneye certainly did sell the NINTENDO SIXTY-FOUR when it came out. As I recall, Goldeneye was one of many great games for the N64 that really sold that console. As well as the Perfect Dark series, which was another classic FPS.

Not to mention the huge pile of FPS's that came out for the PS2 before the Xbox was even released.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
They would have made FPS games even if Halo didn't exist. Come on now, FPS games existed before Halo, and they continue to exist after Halo.

I do agree that without the success of Halo, perhaps the Xbox 360 might not have taken off, and that would have been a damn shame. I've gotten a lot out of my 360 (hasn't broken down even once, but then again, no console of mine has ever broken down. My genesis still works) and I'm glad it's successful. They are a worthy replacement for Sega.

I enjoyed the Halo games. Didn't play the second one, but I liked the first and the third. First Co-Op game I ever played. Granted, 70% of the enjoyment I got out of Halo was through playing it with my brother, but I'm still grateful.

Is Halo the best game in the world? No, because there is no such thing as a best game in the world. Is it a particularly stunning example of art in games? No, but how many games are? No, Halo was fun for me. I don't play it anymore, probably never will again, but what time I spent on it, I enjoyed.

And Millions of other people enjoyed it too. That's a fact. Some people don't like it, and that's fine for them. The fact that they didn't have fun doesn't take away the fact that I did, or that you did too.

So stop getting all bent out of shape over Halo haters. There are haters of everything under the sun on the internet. You're asking "why are people being so mean on the net", well, that's not a question worth asking.

It's well known that people in cities are often ruder than people in small towns. This is because when you are in a big city, you get the feeling of anonymity, whereas in a small town, everyone knows each other and you are much more likely to have your rudeness reported.

So envision the Internet has the largest city possible, then take away the police and allow everyone to wear masks all the time. Got a picture of how people would behave in such a city? There you go, THAT is the internet.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
And to all those who hate Halo: Fair enough. You don't like it, obviously. I'll wager that there's a game you like that I don't, and there's probably several games that I like that you hate.

Okay.

Fine.

Fair enough.

Big deal.

Now let's AAAALLLLLLLLLLLL GROW UP children.

TailstheHedgehog

Jan 14, 2010
For every massive phenomenon, there's always going to be a legion of haters.
Harry Potter, for example. I can't see why anybody whould hate it, and when people say that a certain vampire-romance is better, I lose a fraction of my faith for humanities continued survival.
But that's another story ^.^
I'd say a lot of haters are hating because they're jealous they're not in on the in.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
mance200 said:
To be honest, I blame the fanbase. Who here gets pissed off when someone yells over the headset "CHEETER U'Z TEH LOOZER HAXXOR U CANT DOO DAT!"?
The fan base does not bother me. Whenever I hear people talk like that in a multiplayer game I will just mute them. Yes, some people most likely hate it because some of the Halo fans act like that in multiplayer. Some people also hate it for the bad story and other people hate it because it is popular.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Eh, it's a critically acclaimed exclusive for the Xbox.
Basically, everyone who doesn't own a 360 has some sort of dislike towards it.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Oh I am a Halo hater not because of Halo 1. Its Halo 2's online, and Halo 3 that I hate Halo.
And just because the first is good, does not mean I automatically must like all of the series.