Why All the Hate on Naruto?

chiMmy

Mar 8, 2010
Tubezz said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Tay051173096 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
It might have something to do with some rather shitty animation, a bridge battle that lasts for way too many episodes, and a godawful english dub.
Noooooo you watched the dub how could you!!! Watch with subs or you ear will burn...
Listen, I know the sub vs dub argument inside and out. Despite efforts by people to insist watching in the original language, the vast majority still only watch in the language they speak.
I must say that is probably right in USA but Im not so sure if that is competely correct if you look at EU/asia but I could be wrong..

For an example.. I do no like to watch movies/series in Swedish since it just doesnt feel right and very few people can actually sound "badass" in Swedish (Imo)

OT: I like Naruto but Im starting to rage over all the fillers, same with Bleach.
There aren't really any good swedish movies, Arn was really good by swedish standard, kind of suprised me. Beck aswell, but that's about it.

But like people said, the fillers kind of screwed the show, I stopped watching untill the fillers were over cuz I just didn't find it interesting. :O

Uberpig

Nov 20, 2009
I DON'T LIKE NARUTO BECAUSE I'VE NEVER WATCHED IT. Oh, and is Naruto really an anime? Does it count? It feels too Westernised to me.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
I tried watching it once. It took three episodes for Naruto to do a single attack. Sorry but three episodes of filler just so he could do one attack is not acceptable. If I am going to spend twenty minutes watching something I atleast want something to happen. I would rather watch a show that was 25 episodes all of which were amazing and had no filler rather then a show with 350 episodes of which 250 are pure filler.
This is the same reason I quit watching/reading Naruto, as well as Bleach and One Piece. Also, however, is because they seem to make stuff up just to keep the series going, and to me they lose track of the original feel. YuYu Hakusho started doing this, but then seemed to realize it and ended the series after the last big fight. It didn't suddenly say "Oh wait, there's an EVEN MORE POWERFUL dude wanting to fight you!" and just keep going. All my favorite animes knew when to end (for the most part): Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Trigun. They don't have hundreds of episodes, but the ones they do have shine.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
I just wanna pop in and say I did watch Naruto, it was ok.
I can understand people not liking it, the main reasons that crop up tend to be "Naruto is annoying, Sasuke is emo and Sakura has no substance" along with the excess filler (something I kinda agree with).
But why does EVERYONE who watches it go "English dubs of Naruto are the worst ever"
Watch with subs or you ear will burn...
I mean, I suppose Naruto himself has a somewhat annoying voice, but so what? not everyone in the world has a perfect voice, if you really can't stand hearing a voice that doesn't fit your standards (which seem to be too damn high) then why don't you just watch everything on mute with hearing impaired subs?

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
Right now Naruto is my least hated out of the big 3 (One Piece,Bleach,Naruto) for the sole fact that the ending is much sooner then Bleach or One Piece.

Guess the reason I disliked it though is that filler is unnecessary back story for characters we already know about, fights last too long, people talk while fighting prolonging the fights for many episodes.

Hell my favorite part about watching Naruto when they first started to dub it was the fact that Naruto was the underdog when he was young, everyone hated him and he was an outcast. But he proved everyone wrong when the exams started. Now in naruto shippuden/recent Manga he's really the best ninja ever and you know he's gonna win every fight someway or another. That makes it boring to watch again

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
My brother and I used to love it, then after a while we stopped watching, and missed a few episodes. When we went back to the show, we had the sudden feeling of "It's the same type of battle we saw 20 episodes ago!"

Basically my brother and I just found it repetetive after a while.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
It's a popular Shonen anime with all the pros and cons that come with being that. Personally I like it but the anime is only good when they go all out on the animation. Too much pointless filler and dragged out scenes. To me, the manga is essentially Harry Potter with ninjas, which I consider a good thing.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the whole Naruto relates to the villain thing that always goes on with characters like Sasuke, Gaara, and Pain...

Alanj95

Aug 20, 2010
Fanbase is among the worst out there, animation is below average, too much filler, awful dubs, and the battle are too slowly paced for the medium.

Monkeybald

Nov 13, 2010
As one person on the internet once said: "It's a show about wizards who use magic and occasionally throw a kunai every now and then"

Personally, I enjoy the episodes of the anime done by Norio Matsumoto, and some parts of the manga are great. But it's full of disappointment in many other regards. (Sasuke's many ass-pulls come to mind)

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
It's my favorite anime but there's to much filler and rock lee needs some more fight scenes ideally where he gets drunk again.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I tried watching it for a while, but I eventually quit for various reasons. Not just the acting, though that's admittedly one of the reasons. It just came to me as the sort of thing I hated FF8 for. I didn't like any of the characters, I didn't feel invested in the plot, I didn't like the side-stories hammed in between it all, I didn't like the pacing, I didn't buy into the universe as a whole (willing suspension of disbelief basically faltered too often), and then there was the ninja problem.

Namely, they weren't ninjas. I'm sorry, but no. Not even the romanticized version of the ninja lore was ever like this. It was not shouty uber powers and bullshitty powers of oneupmanship. That's suppose to be other shows. Go into Naruto and find me...the point where stealth and a very simple and quick assassination fixed the problem of the day. Ninjas, who would in the olden days be peasants who would resort to very unorthodox-but-effective methods of attack that soldiers and samurai weren't ready for, were never like this. Not even a case where you're a sword-wielding nutjob all in black in a game or something is a ninja like anyone in Naruto.

So basically, my mind rejected it and here we are.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
I used to watch the anime (jap dub, eng sub.), ut i went over to reading the manga nstead mainly due to fillers, and also ecause when i caught up it was to interesting not to not check what was up ahead (at that point the manga was miles ahead).

watching it eng dub would be quite silly tbh, i rarely ever watch any anime with eng dub.

recently watched steamoy, the movie with eng dub, quite anoying, especially the little girl. didn't really care much for their accents eighter, didn't sound so manchester like to me.

Although i've watched naruto i proably wouldn't recomend it to someone new to anime since I read the manga years ago, and then a little while later started watching the anime. There are a lot of great anime's that are way shorter than naruto and better.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I used to enjoy Naruto, until I realized that is was almost all filler and the plot didn't really go anywhere.

The basic structure of a Naruto story arc (as far as I can recall) is as follows:
-Let's start going for the next rank in our ninja training!
-Oh shit, bad guys!
-[Some fighting]
-Oh hey, I guess we're like, better ninjas or something.
-What are the bad guys trying to do, exactly?

Seriously. I have absolutely no idea what the goals of the main antagonists were. Were they just assholes, or what?

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Thaius said:
I know threads about why someone else does or doesn't like something I do or don't like are abundant, but this is one I just really don't understand, and I'd be interested to know why. Personally, it?s not my favorite anime, but I love it anyway. It?s a fantastic coming-of-age story with interesting, strategic battles and well-developed characters that are easy to care deeply about.

It?s fine not to like it, of course; you are entitled to your tastes. But the anime community seems to largely consider Naruto the quintessential example of a terrible, overrated anime, like it?s the cool thing to hate, and I just don?t understand that.

A common complaint I?ve heard is about the filler, but the fact is this is not sufficient reason to decry the show?s quality, mainly because it is simply the lesser of two evils. Shows like Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note, while both amazing shows, amount to disappointing endings because they just did their own thing when they caught up with the manga. Naruto instead takes the approach of making a filler arc when it catches up to the manga on which it?s based, in order to let the manga get ahead enough for the anime to adapt it. Filler is necessary in order to keep the show running while allowing the show to still follow the story of its source material. That?s far better than just going off on its own and eventually ending disappointingly.

Beyond that, if you hate the filler, skip it. The rest of the show is great, even if some of the filler really isn?t; something such as filler, which is made specifically so it can be easily skipped, simply does not speak to the quality of the show as a whole.

I?ve heard plenty about the constant flashbacks and monologues, but it?s really only a little more excessive than most everything that comes out of Japan. They love that stuff. When a character realizes something important, or has a moment of self-reflection, they will monologue about it. That?s how it works; the vast majority of anime and JRPGs consist largely of this inner dialogue. So I don?t understand how this can be an argument against one particular show without being an argument against the entire artistic culture (which I think we can all agree would be a bit ethno-centric).

These are just my thoughts; anyone care to share what it is that apparently makes this show so terrible?

EDIT: The English dub is also a weak argument (though it is awful). Don't complain if what amounts to an American vocal adaptation is sub-par, just watch the original.
Well I read the manga on weekly basis so most of this applies to the anime specifically. Still some parts are universal.

Like most shounen or year-round weekly released anime the animation is mediocre to poor. The plot is also typical shounen, and while I do agree that there is a coming of age story in there its not particularly great or even well done. The story is also typical shounen and has its ups and downs. It also loses its pacing at times.

That said there is nothing particularly horrible about it. Its good fun to watch once in awhile, but reading the manga is simply quicker and you don't have to put up with the horrible animation/fillers/ect. That is except for epic fights its nice to see those animated.

Naruto as a whole actually has some pretty good characters fleshed out. Its unfortunate that Kishimoto went the route on almost exclusively focusing on Naruto rather than gracefully alternating the character roster with Naruto being central plot device/character bringing it all together.

Long story short Naruto isn't horrible its just run of the mill. Which is fine we need run of the mill to flesh out seasons, attract new audiences, and keep the existing audience happy.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Thaius said:
I?ve heard plenty about the constant flashbacks and monologues, but it?s really only a little more excessive than most everything that comes out of Japan. They love that stuff. When a character realizes something important, or has a moment of self-reflection, they will monologue about it. That?s how it works; the vast majority of anime and JRPGs consist largely of this inner dialogue. So I don?t understand how this can be an argument against one particular show without being an argument against the entire artistic culture (which I think we can all agree would be a bit ethno-centric).
You sure about that part? You should watch Gintama, forget which episode it was but as a parody show they tell you more or less what's going on. There are excessive flash backs/monologues/reaction shots simply because they need to kill time. The anime must follow the manga script, but unfortunately an 18 page weekly manga chapter doesn't translate to a 20 minute weekly anime episode, so for long running series like DBZ/Bleach/Naruto the anime producer have to find a number of creative ways to stretch time. DBZ you had guys spending an entire episode powering up/grunting, Bleach gives you 5 minute episode recaps, while Naruto they over abuse flashbacks... I'm pretty sure in one Shippuden episode they flashed back to something that happened in the same damn episode from 5-10 minutes ago.

I don't have much problem with the series themselves until they start becoming a sequence of repetitive 'even more powerful!' enemies, but I kind of gave up on watching the animes a while ago because I just couldn't stand how they dragged things out anymore. Ironically, for Naruto apart from that endless parade of filler arcs I've started actually preferring the filler arcs, specifically because they're in no pressure to create delays so they can drop all that 'filler' crap that plagues the canon episodes. Honestly I don't understand why so many ***** about filler, but it's a huge sign of immaturity. What's wrong with fleshing out some secondary characters a bit and why the rush to get back to the stuff where you already know whats going to happen because you read the manga? Not to mention the complete lack of comprehension or understanding of what would happen if the anime series actually caught up to the manga.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
Watched the original series. Most if not all. Kinda fell off on shippuden(spelled wrong, i bet.). I Would love to get back into it, but now that I've begun to increase my anime intake a bit, it has competition.