Why are Rockstar games rated so highly by reviewers?

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
I remember the good old days of GTA...you were waiting for a number? Nope, I remember playing GTA 1 and 2. Top down car hijacking, pedestrian squashing, insane stunt bonus fun. Hell, I remember when I had a PC that couldn't run number 2 smoothly. I skipped number three and the subsequent spin-offs, from San Andreas to London, because I never had a machine that could run them. By the time I did, it was too late. On the plus side, GTA4 came along.

I will say this: I loved GTA4. I am a sucker for a good story. I enjoyed playing as Niko Bellic. I enjoyed learning about his character, letting the story unfold and, oddly, some of side missions you played along the way, like taking Roman to play darts. But I didn't quite get why characters got to demand your time the way they did, especially when you're already in the middle of a mission. It's almost like they were scared you'd be bored doing one mission at a time.

Anyway, the one thing I never understood was why the game's controls were so clunky. There are quite a few 3rd person type games out there. Many give you somewhat limited movement but there's a reason for it. For example, in Dead Space you're in a clunky suit of armour, which is why the movement was a bit sticky. It was either that or the developers (like so many) didn't quite get the PC port thing right. They did in Dead Space 2 and it never took anything away from the game. In fact, it was a pleasure to move more fluently, but Isaac wasn't exactly bouncing off the walls while dismembering necromorphs like some amnesiac ninja engineer. So you don't have to go from one extreme to another. A healthy balance would be nice.

For example, Niko would take a while to start sprinting and getting him to stop or turn would take a moment too, but the man had near perfect aim. If you're going to go with "realistic" movement, allowing me to headshot everyone with a pistol isn't exactly screaming consistency. One moment your character is out of breath from sprinting too long and the next he is eating a hotdog to heal bullet wounds from a gunfight he had two minutes ago.

GTA4 could have learned a thing or two from previous third person games. I felt the movement was sticky and controls were slow to respond. I played Saints Row The Third and when I finally got some additional DLC for GTA4, I had to get used to the idea that you can't hijack people by crashing through a passenger window and kicking them out in one fell swoop. That's not to say I didn't enjoy either game. I loved both Saints Row and GTA.

Niko's story is what had me hooked in GTA 4 and I put up with driving across a virtual city, terrible helicopter controls (anyone who got those right is probably not human) and Brucie. Now, what happens if the story can't save the terrible movement? Or you're running out of reasons to put up with another trek across a highway after you just got home from afternoon traffic? Games are supposed to be an escape and throwing you back into a world of mundane tasks isn't fun. Getting a call from Roman while fending off very angry police, JUST so he can go to a strip club on the other end of the damn city made me wonder what part of it Rockstar thought would make players go "whee! I am having so much fun driving my virtual cousin to a virtual strip club just to tell him it's time to leave before I've had my first virtual lap dance". It was a chore. There is nothing else to call it. I stuck at it for Niko because I enjoyed the story and his character. It's a pity about the rest of the game though.

And seriously, there were way too many painstaking helicopter missions - they were not fun at all. The racing in the game was weird and the balls on the pool table reacted like the game's cars. Sometimes even a straight shot at the cushion sent a ball practically perpendicular to your shot angle.

What I am saying is, Rockstar comes up with a decent idea, characters with potential and a world that is intriguing, only to miss the mark at implementation. I loved Max Payne 1 and 2. Max Payne 3 just wasn't for me. I couldn't handle him whine about how crappy his life is - it comes off more as self loathing than gritty or ironic, which is PAYNEFUL to say the least (see what I did there?). Nor could I enjoy seeing Mr Payne's world degenerate into another generic cover-based shooter. I tried it, didn't like it.

Maybe I am weird for thinking games have to be, you know, fun? Maybe they don't deserve a 9/10. They're not terrible, but anything more than 8/10 for an inconsistent game filled with chores is a bit much.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Rockstar mostly gets by on the success of GTA3. They're just more or less coasting on a halo effect, like modern Final Fantasy.

Honestly, their games aren't great. They're not bad by any stretch, but they're mostly just competent..kinda..meh, whatever. EXTREMELY easy to get bored with them.

Agro's (the horse)controls in Shadow Of The Colossus put RDR's horses to utter shame.
Agro's never been matched as a horse, in any sense.

Comparing Rockstar's games to Bethesda's and saying Rockstar has more detail in its world is silly.
Bethesda's games make an utter mockery of Rockstar's level of detail.
Bethesda makes a mockery of -ANY- game's level of detail.

And I'm not even particularly fond of Bethesda, aside from Dishonored. Like Rockstar, Bethesda leaves a lot to be desired.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
delta4062 said:
You're making it out to be some cardinal gaming sin when there really isn't anything wrong with that. So you have to tap a button instead of pushing a stick? So?

Your excuse just says "I'm too lazy for this shit"
...did you not read the alternative I just posted? Did you not read the part where I said you cannot use the camera when running? Did you not see how it is straight up a QTE? How it adds nothing to the game?

Like, I'm genuinely confused here. I've provided a whole bunch of reasons why it's inferior compared to a "hold a shoulder button" / "push the stick all the way" approaches. I can smash buttons all day, dude. But it's straight up boring.

Tapping a single button over and over for the exact same result is straight up treating your player like a savage. Doesn't matter if he / she can do it - it just does nothing, gameplay wise. It's just not fun, nor engaging, nor immersive, nor challenging. I literally cannot see how it's better than the other two possibilities.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
delta4062 said:
SKBPinkie said:
delta4062 said:
You're making it out to be some cardinal gaming sin when there really isn't anything wrong with that. So you have to tap a button instead of pushing a stick? So?

Your excuse just says "I'm too lazy for this shit"
...did you not read the alternative I just posted? Did you not read the part where I said you cannot use the camera when running? Did you not see how it is straight up a QTE? How it adds nothing to the game?

Like, I'm genuinely confused here. I've provided a whole bunch of reasons why it's inferior compared to a "hold a shoulder button" / "push the stick all the way" approaches. I can smash buttons all day, dude. But it's straight up boring.

Tapping a single button over and over for the exact same result is straight up treating your player like a savage. Doesn't matter if he / she can do it - it just does nothing, gameplay wise. It's just not fun, nor engaging, nor immersive, nor challenging. I literally cannot see how it's better than the other two possibilities.
I never said the other possibilities weren't better. I'm saying it's nowhere near as big of a deal as you and some others here make it out to be. It's complaining for the sake of complaining.
Not really. It's annoying because nothing is being done about an issue for the past several iterations.

It was bearable the first time around. But seeing how Rockstar insists on sticking with an archaic system for several games and for several years, it serves as a good indicator of how much they actually care about good controls.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
What I'm more disappointed in is that, while Red Dead Redemption is a fun game, the original, Red Dead Revolver, is just about better in every way. Didn't like the newer game's controls? the first didn't have the dumb horse controls, or tap to sprint. There wasn't any sandbox, open world, Grand theft Horse shenanigans either. Just a linear story and a hub level. The biggest selling point for me though, is that Revolver had much more fun characters. The tcharacters you play as actually feel different, instead of carbon copies and the enemies can range from a mad scientist's travelling circus to an undertaker who caries a coffin with a gatling gun in it.

If you thought Redemption could be a little better, and are fine with sacrificing the sandbox element (and obviously graphics), I'd definitely Red Dead Revolver.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I don't think there is a single game of theirs I really like. Nothing appeals to me about the ones I've tried. Not the settings not the story not the characters.

Finding out a game was made by Rockstar automatically puts its on the lists of games I have to try myself before buying regardless of how universal the praise is. Just like capcom games.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
SKBPinkie said:
It was bearable the first time around. But seeing how Rockstar insists on sticking with an archaic system for several games and for several years, it serves as a good indicator of how much they actually care about good controls.
Same with The Elder Scrolls/Fallout games.
I loved Fallout 3, because that was the first one I played, but then Oblvion and Morrowind were intolerable. Skyrim was....reeeeeeaaaaally bland, but I played a good bit of it because my heart is made of dragons and pumps viking blood. Also, it looks pretty when you don't pay attention to the horrible character animations.

Unless they finally ditch their 18 year-old game engine, learn to animate characters, and create actual good gameplay, I'm not playing anymore Elder Scrolls or Fallout games.
Until then, the only one of their games I'm going to play will be Dishonored 2.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
It`s Rockstar, the DEVELOPER of developers. The best one indeed but not only the best, from now on it`s simple THE ONE to do the greatness justice. You wondering why the games are getting highest praise from critics? Surprise-the consumers love them too. THE ONE define games not only as simple fun wasters they are the ones who truly create art. Every "Are games Art?"discussion is silenced by bringing up their masterpieces. We are unworthy and should be thankfull that we are allowed to spend money and playing the art instead of having to spend the same amount and watching their coverdrawings in a gallery.
This isn`t a opinion by the way, facts are facts.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
endtherapture said:
R* games have a more subtle kind of detail. You can go in all the buildings and caves but most of them, in Skyrim especially, are copy and paste, with no real incentive to go inside. "Oooh this draugr cave might have the sliding block puzzle on the left wall! WOW!" Whereas an R* game will have little signs (literally) with funny things on. Innuendoes on every shop. That is the kind of detail that I find more appealing while an Elder Scrolls game just has more stuff that's more generic. If I listen to the conversations in GTA V they're mainly all different whereas I can here the same conversation being held by 3 different groups in the Imperial City.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
MeTalHeD said:
I loved Max Payne 1 and 2. Max Payne 3 just wasn't for me. I couldn't handle him whine about how crappy his life is - it comes off more as self loathing than gritty or ironic, which is PAYNEFUL to say the least (see what I did there?). Nor could I enjoy seeing Mr Payne's world degenerate into another generic cover-based shooter. I tried it, didn't like it.

I really enjoyed Max Payne 3. I thought Max Payne's incessant snarky remarks were tragically comical and really gave the character a kind of over the top Noir feel. Everything about Max Payne was exaggerated and(as is usual in Rockstar games) that was probably the point. I mean how likely is it that some burned out middle-aged cop drunk on booze and high on pills takes out an entire crime syndicate and after that what seems like the entire Brazilian police force? All by himself! :p

I play a lot of third person shooters and I consider Max Payne 3 to be one of the best. The controls are intuitive and sensitive and the action has a viscious and visceral feel to it, making the gameplay one of the most satisfying in the genre. Not only that but enemies and settings change in rapid succession as well(the office shoot-out is espescially awesome). It's absolutely superb though it drags on just a little too long. What it does it does extremely well though there is very little in terms of variety. Something the GTA games do better(espescially with GTA5 borrowing a lot of the basics of Max Payne 3's gunplay).

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Who knows really, the most baffling thing is that whenever someone asks about the benefit of PCs vs consoles Rockstar games always come up especially the latest GTA or RDR. Its treated like an argument ending thing to strangely.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Oh God.

Another one of these threads.

Reviewers are pressed for time; they have to play about 52 games a year. When it no longer becomes gaming (From "observing the arts" to "killing some noobs") and it becomes a job, then it gets fucking tiring.

So, games tend to sink most of their tasty deliciousness in the first few hours. And reviewers only play the game until the creativity stops running, and it lowers in quality. Kind of like how many anime fans complain about animation quality dipping in the middle of long-running shows (like Ramna, Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece.. and fucking Pokemon. Who could forget?).

That, or they played the game, and liked it.

Both reasons are valid; one is a marketing decision that is very common, another is... liking it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
They do make some of the best games. But yes many of their games this gen were pretty overrated.
I'll agree that Houser isn't much of a writer; he seems to have written many of the recent pretentious pieces. I'll also agree that they go a bit far with the tutorials, taking them to mid or even near the end game. I think that's what leads to the linear nature of the missions.
The great thing about R* is that their games come with a shiton of content. Of course that doesn't help if you think the content is crap but many of us enjoy it.
GTAV is probably one of the best value games to come out this past generation. If you like the campaign and the online, you're set to play for a long time.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zira said:
In short:

Rockstar games are highly overrated. They've merely got a brand name, and when you spend so MUCH money on a product, reviews just are not allowed to say the game is bad.

I've never played a Rockstar game I liked. They managed to make even the wild west seem boring to me. Even the wild west!!
Not even when they threw zombies into it? :p I didn't much care for RDR for many reasons, but I did enjoy undead nightmare. (Also the lost and the damned and Gay tony. I think R* is better at their DLC then their games.)

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
He look, I didn't like rockstars games either. (I've played a bit GTA 4 and 5 and that's about it) I find the gameplay clunky, the missions too linear, the story pretentious, there's way to many features shoved in my face that I wasn't waiting for and the premisse itself ussually doesn't interest me that much to begin with. However, I can see that other people may like these games. Hell, if I look at the best rated games on metacritic, the ones I have played at least, I didn't particularly care for most of them but apparently I am the minority there. There's no need to claim reviewers where pressured or bribed. People just like things I don't.

Another reason which might explain why games are often rated relatively high by reviewers is because sites like the escapist would probably have reviewers with some interest in the game review them. If some new dynasty warriors game comes out, who do you think the escapist will ask to review it. I would presume Jim Sterling since he is a fan of the series. He knows more about the genre and the other parts in the series than the other reviewers around here so his review will be more informative and he will enjoy the game more. I mean think about it. You are a reviewer, three games came out this week which your employer wants reviewed by you and two other reviewers. Of these 3 games one is part 5 in a series you don't give a shit about, one is a new IP in a genre you're not very familiar with, and one is the sequel to a game you really liked. Which would you like to review. Reviewing the first game would mean you would have to play through several hours if not days of something you don't like, reviewing the second game would make sure you don't really know what you are talking about and would garner you disapproving comments from fans of the genre whereas reviewing the third game would be enjoyable for you and would likely make your review well informed because you played and understood its predecessor. This means however that the person picked to review a certain game is also reasonably positive towards that game from the start making sure games are rated rather well even when they aren't really that special.