Why are you a Vegetarian?

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I eat whatever is on sale and is easy to make. I have gone weeks eating vegetarian because I was too lazy to cook meat, but then again when steak was on sale I didn't bother picking up more lettuce.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I don't understand how vegetarians can suppress the human urge to consume other animals. We are omnivores, needing both protein(Delicious mouth watering protein hmmm) and whatever the hell we get from veggies and plants.(Delicious mouth watering plants hmmmm)

I eat both, but I mostly prefer meat and fruits.

Not sure if its true but I've heard that a all veggie diet can lead to fatigue, and impenitence.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
ezeroast said:
So if you are a Vegetarian or vegan, why is it? Religious reasons? For a healthy diet? Cruelty to animals? Specific dietary needs? Saving the environment from cows farts?
I originally stopped eating meat for moralistic reasons, which I still somewhat believe. I am more anthropocentric than I used to be, but since there is no need to eat meat in industrialized nations, I do not like it. In addition, I dislike factory farming as it is needlessly cruel.

Moral reasons aside, by this time eating meat just seems disgusting. I haven't done it in ten years, and it seems to me now about like eating other people may seem to most people.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Naheal said:

Definitely a humanitarian.
Hello there brother! How have your humanitarian ways been treating you?

OT: Well I'm an omnivore so I eat both meat and plants as well as other types of food. Since humans are built to be able to eat meat I see nothing wrong with doing so, but if someone doesn't want to eat meat for whatever reason that's fine by me. I'd put in "so long as they aren't preachy about it" but that's practically a given for me.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Well shit the meat is in front of me anyways. Might as well eat it OR ELSE IT WILL GO IN THE GARBAGE. EH IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT.

but seriously. i don't preach of anyone else, noone else should preach to me.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Ugh... Another bigotry-filled thread about vegetarians. It's starting to irk me, that you can't discuss vegetarianisms without hearing "waah, all vegetarians force their belief down my throat, I want bacon!!", really, I've never met a vegetarian that tried to "force" their beliefs down my throat, sure, if a discussion about it got going, they'd defend their choice, but such discussions usually arise from people going "why are you not eating meat?".

OT: I'm a vegetarian because... Er... Don't know really, started out as a bet with my friend, that I'd be vegetarian for a month, once the bet ended, I didn't really see any reason to start eating meat again.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Meat still has health benefits as well, it's all part of a healthy diet.

I could never turn full vegetarian, I just like meat too much!

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I haven't been eating meat since 12 years or so now. It's just my little way of trying to keep the suffering of animals that's going on a tiny bit less. And for the people who say it isn't healthy: The days I've got the flu any more or less than I did when I did eat meat. Neither do I notice any difference in my overall (health) condition.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
because i don't want to have the feeling of something had to die in order for me to survive, i know its survival of the fittest but you get my point.

piratejames

Oct 16, 2009
I guess I'm a vegetarian, but that's because at the moment I just don't like the taste of meat. My palette changes a lot. I honestly don't care what anyone eats as long as they don't shove it in my face.

Tetranitrophenol

Apr 4, 2010
Im no vegetarian, (carnivore)

But I admit that there are some wrong doings by the industry and if I were vegan it will be only to drive certain people out of business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebTQXkMUqt0 <<<disturbing Shait, careful...

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
I'm not a vegetarian because I see no point in not eating meat. It's tasty and healthy, why wouldn't I eat it?

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I eat both meat and veg, its natural and really many people don't eat it because it affects their consciouss (which is far enough, as I can't things like Veal) really I think we should go out and hunt our own food but then again alot of people would lose their jobs.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Been a vegetarian for almost two years now, and I haven't exactly been wanting to go back. I'm in great shape, perfectly healthy, and have a surprisingly large amount of spending money not used to buy greasy fast food. 'course, there's a correlation between vegetarianism and intelligence, which may explains why I took it up so easily...

Anyway, I hate people who try to convert others to vegetarianism (hell, that's one stupid sentence) almost as much as I loathe the idiots who claim eating meat is actually important. No wait, I still hate stupid people more than preachy people, as one can least mock the preachy kind, while one can only pity idiots.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Zyphonee said:
mr snippy
I just had an argument with a annoying idiot the other day about vegetarianism, and as such I felt like having a rant. You are right, not all vegetarians are stuck up jerks, and I apologise.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Super Toast said:
Zyphonee said:
mr snippy
I just had an argument with a annoying idiot the other day about vegetarianism, and as such I felt like having a rant. You are right, not all vegetarians are stuck up jerks, and I apologise.

This is funny but I had one of those too; I don't blame you, a lot of vegetarians think they are superior to all just because they don't eat meat and have the right to call everyone who does a murderer.

insaneHoshi

Mar 26, 2010
zen5887 said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
I'm just confused by the people who honestly think being vegetarian is healthier.
Well.

If someone decides to do their research and make sure their diet contains all the vitamins and minerals your body needs (all of which can be found in non-meat products), they can be just as healthy as meat eaters. And considering you can avoid all the fat and hormones and steroids you get with shitty meat, I'd say being vegetarian can in some cases be healthier.
Just as healthy != Healthier

You're putting forth a weak argument when you say a vegetarian can be healthier than someone who eats meat with fat and hormones and steroids, (on the note of fat and hormones and steroids i dont know if any of those are actually bad for you, especially fat, its nutritious), its like saying a vegetarian could be healthier than someone who just are junk food. You are comparing the best case vegetarian to the non best case meat-atarian. Now if you compare the best case vegetarian to the best case meat-atarian, I contend that that the vegetarian couldn't be healthier, but only just as healthy.

What i believe Tom The Guitarist is referring to is the fallacy of some vegetarians believe that not eating meat is somehow superior and more healthy than the alternative.

Hardcore_gamer said:
Digi7 said:
It's just so much healthier for both the body and the mind.
No its not. There is nothing healthier about not eating meat, if anything not eating any meat is bad for you.

Meat is only unhealthy if you eat to much of it.
Agreed, couldnt of said it better myself.

imoutogetyou said:
i am a vegetarian because it is cheaper in terms of money and the environment. why feed enough grain to a cow to feed 5 people when you can feed 5 people the grain?
Because, correct me if im wrong, but what they feed cows isnt fit for human consumption and the land cows graise on is unfit for agricultural development.

Zyphonee said:
Well mister, let me tell you that the human species wasn't initially omnivorous; how do you think the first human, no tools and no weapons, managed to eat a cow? That said, I don't eat meat, yet right now, meat has become an important aspect of human progress and economy. My vegetarianism is more a personal thing so maybe you should try to stop saying that all vegetarians by choice are uninformed douches because you'll just come off as ignorant, or at least you just did to me.
A) cows didnt exist before humans used tools

B)IIRC using tools is what defines us humans, we wouldn't exist without them.

And id hate to be a dick but when you said "uninformed"....

See points A and B