Why are you people so negative?

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Yes but everyone knows that 4chan is just bait for the newcomers, far from the real evil of the interwebs.

I've said too much.

Damn rules F and G!

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.
I really wish sarcasm were easy to read. I will agree with you, though.
Lol, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Who you callin 'you' people? I do my best to play a balanced diet of triple A's and indie games. Next time, at least quote a thread or an article instead of just assuming were all on board with this.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.
Dude, I hate grammar nazis and other people who do this sort of thing, I really, really do, but I think the word you're looking for is deluded, not diluted.

Also, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The people on here who offer forth those sort of views seem to be the same sort of vaguely miserable teenager, probably a bit emotionally stunted and immature, who thinks that they're weary with the world despite having no experience of it. They've probably been watching too much Bill Hicks stand up and have decided that raging against the machine is their forte.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I agree. The Escapist in general doesn't have to positive outlook on the world. I always see some people talk about how the world is shit and love doesn't exist. Then there is all these stupid CoD threads about how its such a shit game and the community blows men or something like that. Its annoying and not needed.

Ghosting 7

Sep 3, 2011
People are negative because they have black hearts. When I say black hearts, I mean they allow so much corruption from the outside World to affect them, that it becomes a part of who they are. It's not all rainbows and pixy dust out there.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:

Lol, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.
Oh no no, I was being sarcastic. I usually am, either that or facetious. And seeing as how both are rather hard to decipher via the Internet, it makes for interesting forum discussions and long-winded explanations followed by backpedaling so that people know if I actually agree with them or not.

Lilani

May 27, 2009
electric_warrior said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:

Dude, I hate grammar nazis and other people who do this sort of thing, I really, really do, but I think the word you're looking for is deluded, not diluted.
Well, diluted isn't TOO far from deluded in a sense...diluted is to be weakened or diminished by mixing something with other things. Those people have taken their idea of a misanthrope and have diluted their own thought patterns with that archetype to produce this weak mixture of angst and vague hatred. Thank you for clarifying that, though :)

Yanzo

Sep 12, 2010
I agree with the people who are saying there is an abundance of people who try/think/want to be misanthropes.

Speaking as someone who is very cynical, jaded and all those other words everyone throws around to describe how negative they are, I'm not completely negative all the time. While I prefer solidarity or some close friends for company as opposed to large groups and generally dislike most people; that's not all there is. People are complex and with that I'm going to be negative sometimes and positive others.

It's quite easy to see people trying to be psuedo-misanthropes because they try too hard. By that I mean they go about it in a way where there's no grey zone; it's like it's just black and white which as mentioned, isn't possible due to the complexity of human nature (And there are very few people in the world who could claim to be a black and white misanthrope and I doubt they all frequent here)

chocolatekake

Dec 22, 2010
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
Well, I'm just going to throw it out there and say, just because you have a current gen console doesn't mean you live a charmed life. Sure you're not as worse off as others, but there's the whole rest of the world where there's plenty of people way better off than you and of course plenty of people way worse off than you. Comparing your status in life, especially by monetary standards isn't exactly...constructive.

And as for me, I think half of humanity should die off not necessarily because they're terrible people or I hate them, but just that we're overpopulated and I think we could do with at least some "pruning".

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The thing is calling people misanthropes for hating on EA or Activision is, in itself, reactionary.

People have a right to discuss their opinions on something whether it's Devil May Cry, Bastion, Deus Ex or Dragon Age 2. Feedback and community feeling about games helps to influence and shape the market to an extent. Look at the sales of Dragon Age 2 for example word of mouth has probably had a large influence on that.

It's a lot better than the days, of for example the Snes and Mega Drive era, when developers could just hawk out shovelware and pay the gaming mags to hype it. Nowadays we can warn each other about the doozies and the companies won't make money from them.

There's no doubt that people can go a little far but at the end of the day circulation of opinion is good. Next time perhaps Enix Montreal might leave out the Boss fights for example ;)

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
This is the internet. We ridicule people for liking things. The logical defense is to feign impartiality towards everything. When in question, err on the side of cynicism.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Gralian said:
I like to think it's because we're a level-headed realist bunch who don't like to sugar-coat things, which is what optimism tends to boil down to a lot of the time.
I disagree....a I mean a certain amount of cyasm isnt bad (I probably have a little just to avoid getting hurt/dissapointed), but in regards to Optimism I persoanlly think that being overly negatvie ALL the time, there just isnt much point all your doing is being miserible..and annoying others

not saying you have ot like stuff all the time...but somtimes you feel like saying "just...relax..just dont care!, you dont like a game?/somthing? so what?"

I have been annoyed by the cyncacism here (and while I generally agree with Yahtzee I think somtimes people get the impression being all jaded and cynical makes them "cool" or "smart" or the "they can see through the facade the rest of us are blinded by") well ok what do I know?

plus I think somtimes people dont have THAT much to complain about, so they complain about how "humanity is evil and the world is shit blah blahh blah" in the end those peopel need to shut the fuck up, I go about my day to day life doing my thing and trying to be a half decent person, I dont need YOU telling me Im a horrible douchbag (not you personally, you know what i mean)

Sep 14, 2009
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:

amen. (although i probably have spilled over my own rage a few times, i will admit, i probably should've been taken down a few pegs on those moments) there are quite a few people here who have never had the stick removed from their asses so they don't realize what it means to be a normal average human being.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
First off,
TheGoldenMan said:
I hate you, OP.
How is that not a low content post, just saying.

Second, you're posting on a the Escapist, which is synonymous with Elitist. Most of the people here are jaded nerd (you can't deny it).

Third,
Flame on

No one can touch me though my flame shield now

Lilani

May 27, 2009
Zetion said:
D'aww, now you've gone and made me feel all warm and fuzzy :3 I think the only way I can properly reply to this is that your avatar has officially made my evening 20% cooler.