Why bother making 'friends'?

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Oh, look! All the others are callous, cruel assholes who reject all humanity. Clearly the best idea is to be more like them.

Twilight_guy said:
4. SO MANY SOUR GRAPES! Just look at them, their everywhere!
And this.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
The trick is to not make friends with people that are complete and utter shitheads. There are actually some of them lying around as well. ;3

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Mikodite said:
Quote for attention
You remind me of me, when I was at school. For the most part, you're right. In a few years maybe you wont talk to any of them again, but maybe you'll spend the rest of your life knowing atleast one.

I wasn't much of a people person at school - I kept my head down, done my work and got bullied just like everyone else. Maybe it was my own fault that happened, I tried to break away from the social norm - but alas, sidetracked. You're time at school is, in my opinion, one of the most crucial times in your life. You learn many things and you learn much about yourself. You may not want or need many friends, but I can guarantee you at some point you will.

I view school friends as just that, school friends - Y'know, they're not "that" important. If you have to make a life-changing choice or do something with them, you make the life-changing choice. THOUGH, you may also meet one of the single most awesome people ever also. In primary school (7-11) I met one of my best mates - for the 5 years of that school, we stood by each other, then we went to secondary (11-16) and again, we were both there. We were like brothers. We'd have taken a bullet for one another. Hell, I still know this guy now. We don't speak much anymore, such is life, but we haven't forgotten out school years. That's 12 years I've known him. That's more than some marriages last.

At the end of the day, not all people feel the need to interact and socialize with others. That's just who they are. There's nothing wrong with you at all, but don't just ignore people altogether, because you could meet one of the most awesome people ever and trust me, knowing you have someone who would gladly give his right arm for, is a good feeling.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Substitute Troll said:
Here's what I think.

I think you're a little attention hungering kid who says he doesn't want friends so he can look like the "lone wolf". Stop playing Final Fantasy, and don't post these kinds of threads on the Escapist.

If you feel so strongly about it you might aswell just buy a razor and be done with it.
Too far. You're reported.

@OP: The best part of your little pity party is that you've missed a vital ingredient for making friends.

You yourself have to be able to offer them something on some emotional level, it isn't a one-way street there you selfish child.

If you only view friends as givers then you need to rethink your worldview.

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
One does not make friends, one becomes friends. You do not try, it simply happens.

Krm3lg4r73n

Nov 20, 2011
I think you might have a nihilistic attitude towards friendship, though I'm not an expert on the topic.
But I thought I recognized a few things from my philosophy classes here.

"[Nihilism is] a condition of tension, as a disproportion between what we want to value (or need) and how the world appears to operate."
- Friederich Nietzsche

"Nihilism is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life."
- Wikipedia

Don't let yourself get talked down, there were many people thinking like this in history and they were nither emos nor in highschool.

Just read up on the topic, there are tons of literature on this, written by extremely intelligent people.

VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Watch MLP...it answers all.
and of course this.

MadMage

Aug 12, 2010
You(r) either-
A: a teenager who is gonna grow out of it or kill themselves from a miss guided sense of uselessness that will ultimately prove you are useless.

B: faking this.

C: generally telling the truth to which i say life is boring if you don't have any friends cause who the hell will you joke around with, hang out with, and spend the good times with / make them yourselves? they don't even need to be a true friend. I've had dozens of people i love to hang out with but iv only had 1 true friend.

D: need cookies and a hug. Cause the list needed a D and i had no ideas, and you sound like you need D.

Which ever is closer take that as my post.

Hipster Chick

Sep 3, 2011
Mikodite said:
Of anything I've learned in my short stay on this planet its that people are temporary, disposable, and possibly garbage.
This. This is why you don't have any friends.

Because you sound like a fucking sociopath. Jesus, I know you're a teenager and all teenagers apparently go through phases like this, but seriously. That people are temporary is the sad truth of mortality. That people are disposable is the kind of mindset that makes people who might want to be friends with you rethink their decision and makes people who would be otherwise ambivalent to you call you a whiny little *****.

Life is a beautiful fucking thing if you invest the fucking effort in it. Out of the hundreds of people I've associated with over the years, about ten of them I could honestly call my friends. Yeah, it sucks when we're apart, but most of us have managed to stay together since second fucking grade. So yeah, most relationships are temporary at best, but assuming that every single one of them will inevitably fail is the kind of bullshit that stops you from having real lifelong pals.

MadMage

Aug 12, 2010
Octogunspunk said:
Mikodite said:
Of anything I've learned in my short stay on this planet its that people are temporary, disposable, and possibly garbage. Knowing this makes it hard for me to want to bond with people knowing that given a few months to a couple of years I will never see or hear from them again. I wish it wasn't this way, but I've learned though pattern recognition that making friends is pointless, to the point where 'friend' becomes a misnomer.

I'm wondering what others think about this (and I know I'm going to get a shit-storm of people who are going to be all 'you socially-misaligned misanthrope' on this.) I admit that I sometimes feel lonely and I do have a few people I hang around with, but I'm not friends with them: I just hang around them. There is no sense of comradely or connection, and I don't think I fit in with them anyways. There will be no hard feelings when it comes that I never see them again. I have formed emotional bonds with people before, and at best I had to feel the heartache of never seeing someone I was close to again, and a worst had this relationship betrayed, so why bother anymore if its just going to end in pain?
I, too, think making friends will just end badly. Well, I have Severe Social Anxiety Disorder and other lovely afflictions of the mind so, add that to poor social skills in general, I find it extremely hard to make friends. Every failure connecting with people is just negative reinforcement. I have one or two "friends" IRL who I've known for a while, but I just don't have any sort of rapport with them. I just nod along and pretend to be amused. We've mostly drifted apart. Maybe I need better friends, but I... don't know how. So as a result, I just expect to be betrayed at every turn, and expect friendships to be shallow and temporary. =/
You aren't the type of person who should be advising anyone. My Ex girlfriend was just like you. All these problems and never doing shit to fix it.(and so as to not be a complete asshole try actually putting forth the effort. BOTH OF YOU.If you meet someone who you aren't compatible with then look for other people you'd be surprised. I meet friends from the goths, emos, nerds, football players, stoners, I'v even been friends with a hooker.)

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
DarkRyter said:
Friendship is magic, ************.
Words to live by, right here.

I'm not going to provide the OP with any advice, because he's clearly either going through a phase, or just a horrible human being not worth the energy it takes to type out a response.

Instead, I'm just going to post the Blues Brothers theme. Because I just saw it last weekend, and it's awesome.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I think I've spent too much time on Internet forums. I anticipated virtually every response to this thread.

Dear OP: High school is not the real world. It's not even a good approximation of it. Life does get better. But not with that attitude. Relax. Don't be so earnest. You probably don't have it all figured out; none of us do.

Some tips:

1. Help people. Help little old ladies out to their cars. Offer assistance to a person in distress, even if you don't know them personally. Return a lost dog to its owner.[footnote]Dogs are good people.[/footnote] You'll feel better.

2. Be positive. Pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophecy. No one likes a sour grape.

3. Watch a funny video. Make yourself laugh.

4. Don't read the news. It's mostly overblown, depressing garbage anyway.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
Mikodite said:
Of anything I've learned in my short stay on this planet its that people are temporary, disposable, and possibly garbage. Knowing this makes it hard for me to want to bond with people knowing that given a few months to a couple of years I will never see or hear from them again. I wish it wasn't this way, but I've learned though pattern recognition that making friends is pointless, to the point where 'friend' becomes a misnomer.
Everything in life is fleeting, temporary, disposable and 'pointless'. There's no meaning of life, no reason to do anything really.

So it's up to each individual to decide what pointless things they want to do with their lives. Like making friends.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This thread is 5 pages long while I'm typing this and the one who started this has not had any other posts in the entire thread. Thereby, I declare this thread an exquisitely succesful troll. Shine on, you crazy diamond!

and on topic: Because bumping into your ex-mates somewhere feels really good.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Mikodite said:
Snippers Mc Snippington.
Yes, it does look like you're going through insert-fingerquotes-THAT phase, if you know what I mean. The "I'm a misanthrope and people are disposable trash and I'm my own little island" phase.

We're humans. Humans are social creatures, as are all primates. The one difference we have from Bonobo chimps is that our methods of socialization are legion. If you're figuring that you'll be able to live out your life as a hermit, think again. Social contacts come in all shapes and sizes, especially nowadays with social networking taking so much space in our lives. You also have to consider that we have differing levels of social interaction.

I'm a quiet guy, and I can go for weeks on end without meaningful contacts with anyone. Still, at some point or another, I'm bound to want to talk to someone, to make some kind of connection, to at least start a discussion. My father's a social butterfly, in that he starts to feel like a meth addict missing his fix if he doesn't have one little soirée with friend and/or family every two weeks. The longer he puts off meeting people because of obligations or life giving him a bad set of cards for a few months, then we can be sure the end of that slump will be marked with him wanting to see EVERYONE in his circle of friends in quick succession.

To people like myself or my mother, whom you could consider as slightly feral, it's more than a little off-putting. Does that mean we consider people to be trash or that we don't value companionship? Of course not. You might think that every social encounter can only end in pain, right now, but if you keep that mindset, you'll deprive yourself of so much of what life has to offer.

Here's another example. I lost my dog, a year ago. While I was crushed, I took a different path from my parents. They'd never seen me be so devastated before, and they assumed I wouldn't want to live through something like this ever again. What they were missing is that I went through two weeks of intense emotional turmoil in exchange for TWELVE FRICKING YEARS of pure "A Boy and his Dog"-type bliss. Yes, owning a dog is an experience that will end in pain in one way or another - but as someone else said, the high road to that one gritty moment is filled with so much that needs to be experienced, so much that enriches your personal experience, that depriving yourself of that feels like a crime.

If you followed your own logic, you'd stay home, lock yourself up and never meet anyone ever again. You'd cut off any potential sense of loss and cull the less meaningful contacts, sure - but you'd miss out on a little thing called life.

As a great man of whom I ignore the name once said; it's the journey that matters, not the destination.

Oh - and it's spelled "Camaraderie".

chronicfc

Jun 1, 2011
Put simply

but more impotantly
friendship is awesome, yes there are fickle people, and friends that seem like they're not worth the effort, but a good friend will always be there, your stag do, your wedding, even at your funeral, they provide emotional support, even physical support (if you need help moving house or there is a particularly big sofa in need of movement.

Friendship is Magic, *****