Why can't we like things without ruining it? Rick and Morty x McDonalds.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I like the show, it has some really fun moments, but the fandom pisses me the fuck off. I don't really want to say I like the show anymore, lest I be lumped in with these proper weirdos.

To me, its like Minecraft: Its fun, and it has a gimmick, but it was a hell of a lot more fun *before* the crazy kids got into the mix and ruined it for everyone with their memes.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
I'm not a fan of the show. I never watched it. I've stopped watching tv a long time ago, and it never came into my sights until rabid fans descended and immediately turned me off about it.

Recently [http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41543636], McDonald's took a mention of their sauce that was made for a tie in with the theatrical release of Mulan and ran with it, releasing a limited edition run of the sauce for one day, October the seventh.

It led to Angry crowds of one thousand plus yelling "We Want Sauce" [https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/08/police-called-after-mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-promotion-heats-up]. Police had to come to disperse the crowd.

What is it with people? Why... I don't have the words. Well, I do, but I hate dropping the "Entitled" card. I literally just don't understand behavior like this. It paints you, your fellow fans, and what you supposed revere in such a negative light that you're actively ruining what you love.

This isn't protesting war mongering, this isn't asking for equal rights, this isn't bringing up unsafe working conditions. This was a one time sauce deal that created more unrest around this nation than any unjust killing has all year.

Stuff like this makes me feel that social inanity weighs more on the collective conscious of this society than the lives of others. It is a horrible feeling and I wish to be wrong.

But barring those feelings. What is it with the lack of maturity of things we're fans of? I won't say "nowadays". I'm sure it happened when I was a kid, but I was still developing as a social minded creature that I wasn't aware of it as much as I am now. But really, why do masses allow themselves to paint them and what they supposedly covet ugly due to deplorable reactions over nothing occurrences?
While it's rather disappointing how some fans have acted when they didn't get the sauce. However the fault clearly lies with McDonalds for making this a one day event and only selling a very limited amount of the sauce.

It isn't hard to imagine that pretty much every rick and morty fan would go to McDonalds, just to try out the sauce to see if it's really that good.

McDonalds probably based the amount of sauce they sold on how much of an individual sauce the sell on average per day. They should have made this event a month or a week, at least then the restaurants could tell the customers that they have more on another day and not everyone would have to come to a restaurant on the same day.

Whoever planed that event wasn't very competent. Combine that with a large group where the people will push each other to more extreme behavior and this debacle couldn't play out in a different manner.

Sep 24, 2008
Neonsilver said:
While it's rather disappointing how some fans have acted when they didn't get the sauce. However the fault clearly lies with McDonalds for making this a one day event and only selling a very limited amount of the sauce.

It isn't hard to imagine that pretty much every rick and morty fan would go to McDonalds, just to try out the sauce to see if it's really that good.

McDonalds probably based the amount of sauce they sold on how much of an individual sauce the sell on average per day. They should have made this event a month or a week, at least then the restaurants could tell the customers that they have more on another day and not everyone would have to come to a restaurant on the same day.

Whoever planed that event wasn't very competent. Combine that with a large group where the people will push each other to more extreme behavior and this debacle couldn't play out in a different manner.
I looked up the riots for Nintendo over Classic NES unavailability. I didn't find any info.

Riots for Burning Man 2017 selling out in 35 minutes? None.

The reason why most people aren't pointing out at McDonald's now is because companies fail us in other ways often. Is it a wonderful experience? Hell no. But we don't riots over these things. My little cousin wanted a Classic NES badly and I wanted to get one for her and I couldn't. She didn't rip her living room apart. We got some sorbet, I apologized, and she was bummed for a few days. I was heart broken.

And we moved on.

Again, I think this was a marketing ploy by McDonald's. To test the waters to see if anyone was really interested. As much as catering to fans sounds like a great idea when you are a fan, McDonald's had no way of knowing the out pouring would be this huge. Yeah, there are devoted fans to this show, but I don't think anyone in a McDonald's thinktank would believe that there would be Canada to America Border Crossings to get a bite of sauce.

They probably didn't want to produce a whole bunch of sauce that might not have been asked for. McDonald's doesn't see us as people they should care for. They are a corporation. They see things in terms of making money and losing money. And having a whole bunch of sauce that no one is buying is firmly in the losing money category. Now they know the demand. And they already went to phase two saying it will happen again. And much like the NES classic, people will pounce on it harder than this time, driving up their sales. Reprehensible, certainly. But they are a business. Not a moral center.

Again, I don't find their tactics laudable. But this is a business practice happening all over the world constantly. While this is love to you and your fellow fans, this is business for them... and somewhat insanity to us on the fringes. Because yes, we all had these moments. When the iphone riots happened in China some years ago, I equally thought they were unhinged... as it is a phone. Riots or civil unrest over commercial items is mind boggling.

And I'm sorry... to me, it is hard to imagine that every Rick and Morty fan would go to McDonald's over a sauce. I don't eat McDonalds. Most of my family and friends do not. Frankly, McDonald's sales have been declining in the US for most of this year [http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/investing/mcdonalds-earnings-sales-down/index.html], a trend that's been happening for several years now. The more and more that people are less interested in McDonalds, the more it bleeds out of my consciousness.

And personally, I do not allow my interests to dictate where I'm going to eat as much as other people, it seems. McDonald's could have a Krav Maga day and I wouldn't eat there. They could have Street Fighter 3 third strike tournaments and I wouldn't be compelled to eat there. No disrespect to Rick and Morty fans, but not everyone eats or chooses to spend money at a place where there's a callout to their personal fandom. That's why testing the waters (if that's the case) was a great idea for McDonalds because they got a ton of publicity, albeit not all good, and created even more demand when they roll out with it later.

They now created a model for at least a revenue jolt any time they think sales are lower than usual. "Multiverse sauce is back at McDonald's for a limited time!".

Anyway, business decisions aside, it's sauce. From a bad fast food place. Disappointment aside (and yes McDonalds deserves blame for manufacturing disappointment), the actions that the collective of fans chose which made police presence needed in several states is an overreaction. And there's no talking out of that.

Because it's a sauce. From a bad fast food 'restaurant'. That a cartoon character referenced.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

I looked up the riots for Nintendo over Classic NES unavailability. I didn't find any info.

The reason why most people aren't pointing out at McDonald's now is because companies fail us in other ways often. Is it a wonderful experience? Hell no. But we don't riots over these things. My little cousin wanted a Classic NES badly and I wanted to get one for her and I couldn't. She didn't rip her living room apart. We got some sorbet, I apologized, and she was bummed for a few days. I was heart broken.

And we moved on.

Again, I think this was a marketing ploy by McDonald's. To test the waters to see if anyone was really interested. As much as catering to fans sounds like a great idea when you are a fan, McDonald's had no way of knowing the out pouring would be this huge. Yeah, there are devoted fans to this show, but I don't think anyone in a McDonald's thinktank would believe that there would be Canada to America Border Crossings to get a bite of sauce.

They probably didn't want to produce a whole bunch of sauce that might not have been asked for. McDonald's doesn't see us as people they should care for. They are a corporation. They see things in terms of making money and losing money. And having a whole bunch of sauce that no one is buying is firmly in the losing money category. Now they know the demand. And they already went to phase two saying it will happen again. And much like the NES classic, people will pounce on it harder than this time, driving up their sales. Reprehensible, certainly. But they are a business. Not a moral center.

Again, I don't find their tactics laudable. But this is a business practice happening all over the world constantly. While this is love to you and your fellow fans, this is business for them... and somewhat insanity to us on the fringes. Because yes, we all had these moments. When the iphone riots happened in China some years ago, I equally thought they were unhinged... as it is a phone. Riots or civil unrest over commercial items is mind boggling.

And I'm sorry... to me, it is hard to imagine that every Rick and Morty fan would go to McDonald's over a sauce. I don't eat McDonalds. Most of my family and friends do not. Frankly, McDonald's sales have been declining in the US for most of this year [http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/investing/mcdonalds-earnings-sales-down/index.html], a trend that's been happening for several years now. The more and more that people are less interested in McDonalds, the more it bleeds out of my consciousness.

And personally, I do not allow my interests to dictate where I'm going to eat as much as other people, it seems. McDonald's could have a Krav Maga day and I wouldn't eat there. They could have Street Fighter 3 third strike tournaments and I wouldn't be compelled to eat there. No disrespect to Rick and Morty fans, but not everyone eats or chooses to spend money at a place where there's a callout to their personal fandom. That's why testing the waters (if that's the case) was a great idea for McDonalds because they got a ton of publicity, albeit not all good, and created even more demand when they roll out with it later.

They now created a model for at least a revenue jolt any time they think sales are lower than usual. "Multiverse sauce is back at McDonald's for a limited time!".

Anyway, business decisions aside, it's sauce. From a bad fast food place. Disappointment aside (and yes McDonalds deserves blame for manufacturing disappointment), the actions that the collective of fans chose which made police presence needed in several states is an overreaction. And there's no talking out of that.

Because it's a sauce. From a bad fast food 'restaurant'. That a cartoon character referenced.
Im sorry but, like, I think you just really want to hate on Rick and Morty. I know you are a smart, fair, thoughtful person, but this seems rather back bracking of an attempt to excuse McDonalds and keep the blame on fans.

I think fandoms as a whole get more shit than they deserve, because I dont think it is often the fandoms fault, but the nature of humans. Just like when the internet gets blamed for people being shitty. Its not the internet, people are always shitty, the internet just gave those people a louder voice.

What actual huge fandom doesnt have toxic people? None. Because lots of people are prone to being shitty. There are shitty Rick and Morty fans, shitty Steven Universe fans, shitty MLP fans, shitty sports fans, shitty Firefly fans, shitty Game of Thrones fans, shitty...etc.

Really its like blaming violent video games for mass shootings. Mass shooters might take inspiration from a game, but they were prone to this behavior regardless, and could just as easily been inspired by a book, as many pre-video game shooters have, or even just 'hearing God'.

Blaming Rick and Morty is just unfair to Rick and Morty, and to the fans who ARENT toxic assholes.

Sep 24, 2008
Saelune said:
I'm sorry but, like, I think you just really want to hate on Rick and Morty. I know you are a smart, fair, thoughtful person, but this seems rather back bracking of an attempt to excuse McDonalds and keep the blame on fans.

I think fandoms as a whole get more shit than they deserve, because I dont think it is often the fandoms fault, but the nature of humans. Just like when the internet gets blamed for people being shitty. Its not the internet, people are always shitty, the internet just gave those people a louder voice.

What actual huge fandom doesnt have toxic people? None. Because lots of people are prone to being shitty. There are shitty Rick and Morty fans, shitty Steven Universe fans, shitty MLP fans, shitty sports fans, shitty Firefly fans, shitty Game of Thrones fans, shitty...etc.

Really its like blaming violent video games for mass shootings. Mass shooters might take inspiration from a game, but they were prone to this behavior regardless, and could just as easily been inspired by a book, as many pre-video game shooters have, or even just 'hearing God'.

Blaming Rick and Morty is just unfair to Rick and Morty, and to the fans who ARENT toxic assholes.
That would be fair if I once talked about the show, Rick and Morty.

I have absolutely zero feelings about it. Other than seeing "Pickle Rick!!" made me chuckle like the first time I saw "I'm Rick James, *****".

I know the producers and creators of the show have zero to do with the promotion. I know that McDonald's knew that they didn't have any real link to the show, so they didn't call it "Rick and Morty's Multiverse Sauce".

I'm blaming the reaction by the fans. The people. Rick and Morty have little to nothing to do with the civil unrest. McDonald's had short supply (willing or no) of the sauce, but the sauce is the pinnacle of a luxury item that has nothing to do with living your life. I point the blame squarely to the fans who were out rioting over something that isn't essential for living. And again, not the fans of Rick and Morty who were at home or anywhere else not doing rioting. They are completely faultless.

Just the direct fans who rioted and/or caused civil unrest over sauce. They had many ways to react, and they chose the absolute poorest.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Saelune said:
I'm sorry but, like, I think you just really want to hate on Rick and Morty. I know you are a smart, fair, thoughtful person, but this seems rather back bracking of an attempt to excuse McDonalds and keep the blame on fans.

That would be fair if I once talked about the show, Rick and Morty.

I have absolutely zero feelings about it. Other than seeing "Pickle Rick!!" made me chuckle like the first time I saw "I'm Rick James, *****".

I know the producers and creators of the show have zero to do with the promotion. I know that McDonald's knew that they didn't have any real link to the show, so they didn't call it "Rick and Morty's Multiverse Sauce".

I'm blaming the reaction by the fans. The people. Rick and Morty have little to nothing to do with the civil unrest. McDonald's had short supply (willing or no) of the sauce, but the sauce is the pinnacle of a luxury item that has nothing to do with living your life. I point the blame squarely to the fans who were out rioting over something that isn't essential for living. And again, not the fans of Rick and Morty who were at home or anywhere else not doing rioting. They are completely faultless.

Just the direct fans who rioted and/or caused civil unrest over sauce. They had many ways to react, and they chose the absolute poorest.
If that was your intent, then I think you have poorly expressed that.

Sep 24, 2008
Saelune said:
If that was your intent, then I think you have poorly expressed that.
Fair enough. If that's the case, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Link me to my posts where I said that the Show was to blame for the Fans' actions and I'll correct it right now.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Neonsilver said:
ObsidianJones said:
I'm not a fan of the show. I never watched it. I've stopped watching tv a long time ago, and it never came into my sights until rabid fans descended and immediately turned me off about it.

Recently [http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41543636], McDonald's took a mention of their sauce that was made for a tie in with the theatrical release of Mulan and ran with it, releasing a limited edition run of the sauce for one day, October the seventh.

It led to Angry crowds of one thousand plus yelling "We Want Sauce" [https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/08/police-called-after-mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-promotion-heats-up]. Police had to come to disperse the crowd.

What is it with people? Why... I don't have the words. Well, I do, but I hate dropping the "Entitled" card. I literally just don't understand behavior like this. It paints you, your fellow fans, and what you supposed revere in such a negative light that you're actively ruining what you love.

This isn't protesting war mongering, this isn't asking for equal rights, this isn't bringing up unsafe working conditions. This was a one time sauce deal that created more unrest around this nation than any unjust killing has all year.

Stuff like this makes me feel that social inanity weighs more on the collective conscious of this society than the lives of others. It is a horrible feeling and I wish to be wrong.

But barring those feelings. What is it with the lack of maturity of things we're fans of? I won't say "nowadays". I'm sure it happened when I was a kid, but I was still developing as a social minded creature that I wasn't aware of it as much as I am now. But really, why do masses allow themselves to paint them and what they supposedly covet ugly due to deplorable reactions over nothing occurrences?

The fault for what? The riot? Because lolno, disproportionate reactions are the fault of those who reacted disproportionately

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Im sorry but, like, I think you just really want to hate on Rick and Morty. I know you are a smart, fair, thoughtful person, but this seems rather back bracking of an attempt to excuse McDonalds and keep the blame on fans.

What blame should McDonald's have exactly? They disappointed people. Big deal?

The blame for the actual shit falls squarely on the fans who reacted badly

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The Decapitated Centaur said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Remember that next time some business screws you over for something -they- said they would do.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Remember that next time some business screws you over for something -they- said they would do.
Well, for one, it would take a hell of a lot for a riot to be a reasonable reaction to a business failing to meet a promise

Secondly, no one got screwed over. They didn't get some sauce. It's actually outright absurd that you'd compare it to a business screwing someone over.

Thirdly, proportion. This isn't even a business failing to make good on a deal, it was a failed promotion. It's not like they took people's money then change the deal or something. This is like if I went to a business because they had something in stock then found out they didn't. Proper reaction? Go home, don't trust them, be a bit annoyed at them.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Well, for one, it would take a hell of a lot for a riot to be a reasonable reaction to a business failing to meet a promise

Secondly, no one got screwed over. They didn't get some sauce. It's actually outright absurd that you'd compare it to a business screwing someone over.

Thirdly, proportion. This isn't even a business failing to make good on a deal, it was a failed promotion. It's not like they took people's money then change the deal or something. This is like if I went to a business because they had something in stock then found out they didn't. Proper reaction? Go home, don't trust them, be a bit annoyed at them.
McDonalds is at fault for essentially false advertising. How people reacted was not ok, but neither was McDonalds basically lying to customers.

You are suggesting they arent at any fault, and that is just not true.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

McDonalds is at fault for essentially false advertising. How people reacted was not ok, but neither was McDonalds basically lying to customers.

They aren't at fault for the riot in any sense

If you think I said they aren't at fault for failing to keep up their promise then you're just seeing things you want to see to complain about, my point is that lying about a bit of sauce isn't a big deal at all and that trying to bring that up in the face of a reaction involving rioting is pretty silly

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Them lying about a bit of sauce is in the end, pretty inconsequential. It didn't cost people for them not to have it, the impact on any sane person to not getting the sauce is pretty much irrelevant

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

If you think I said they aren't at fault for failing to keep up their promise then you're just seeing things you want to see to complain about, my point is that lying about a bit of sauce isn't a big deal at all and that trying to bring that up in the face of a reaction involving rioting is pretty silly
Im just trying to be fair. Alot of people dont like being fair and just want to criticize those they hate, which seems to lean more on Rick and Morty fans which is unfair to those of us who arent rioting maniacs. You suggest I am just seeing what I want to see, but I make the same accusation to you and many others here.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
twistedmic said:
So you're pretty much ignoring borderline false advertising and blaming the customers that got fucked over by shitty customer service?
No I'm blaming the customers who are acting like cretins to people that were not the cause of the problem. McD's fucked up by not having enough of the product available but there are ways to complain and make your feelings known without acting like a 4 year old having a tantrum

What's inconsequential to you might not be inconsequential to someone else. I don't drink or smoke so to me it's inconsequential if my local stores only carry twenty packs of cigarettes or six-packs.
I don't like sweet peas so it's inconsequential to me if Target only carries twenty bags of frozen peas.
It's sachets of sauce that haven't even been available for nearly 20 fucking years. Nobody gave a shit about this sauce until it got mentioned in R&M. Most of these people probably weren't even aware of this sauce until then so yeah that's about as inconsequential as it gets

Granted, working in retail/customer service sucks for the most part. But that still doesn't excuse management and corporate from fucking up and causing a hassle, either through incompetence or design.
Management and corporate fucking up is still no excuse for this behaviour over sachets of sauce. Anybody who acts this way to staff over something so stupid is a dickhead plain and simple

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Im just trying to be fair. Alot of people dont like being fair and just want to criticize those they hate, which seems to lean more on Rick and Morty fans which is unfair to those of us who arent rioting maniacs. You suggest I am just seeing what I want to see, but I make the same accusation to you and many others here.
No, you're not really trying to be fair, you're trying to equate people not getting sauce to people rioting

What you're being is overdefensive, I've got nothing against Rick and Morty fans, but in your zealousness to defend the fandom you're trying to diminish the rioters by suggesting that McDonald's somehow shares fault for not having enough sauce

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

No, you're not really trying to be fair, you're trying to equate people not getting sauce to people rioting

What you're being is overdefensive, I've got nothing against Rick and Morty fans, but in your zealousness to defend the fandom you're trying to diminish the rioters by suggesting that McDonald's somehow shares fault for not having enough sauce
Im defending the fans that didnt riot.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Why does that mean blaming McDonald's again?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

Why does that mean blaming McDonald's again?
Cause Im also defending customers (who also didnt riot) who just wanted to try some apparently very tasty sauce but didnt get to because McDonalds fucked up.