Why can't we like things without ruining it? Rick and Morty x McDonalds.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
The Decapitated Centaur said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:
While it's rather disappointing how some fans have acted when they didn't get the sauce. However the fault clearly lies with McDonalds for making this a one day event and only selling a very limited amount of the sauce.

It isn't hard to imagine that pretty much every rick and morty fan would go to McDonalds, just to try out the sauce to see if it's really that good.

McDonalds probably based the amount of sauce they sold on how much of an individual sauce the sell on average per day. They should have made this event a month or a week, at least then the restaurants could tell the customers that they have more on another day and not everyone would have to come to a restaurant on the same day.

Whoever planed that event wasn't very competent. Combine that with a large group where the people will push each other to more extreme behavior and this debacle couldn't play out in a different manner.
I looked up the riots for Nintendo over Classic NES unavailability. I didn't find any info.

Riots for Burning Man 2017 selling out in 35 minutes? None.

The reason why most people aren't pointing out at McDonald's now is because companies fail us in other ways often. Is it a wonderful experience? Hell no. But we don't riots over these things. My little cousin wanted a Classic NES badly and I wanted to get one for her and I couldn't. She didn't rip her living room apart. We got some sorbet, I apologized, and she was bummed for a few days. I was heart broken.

And we moved on.

Again, I think this was a marketing ploy by McDonald's. To test the waters to see if anyone was really interested. As much as catering to fans sounds like a great idea when you are a fan, McDonald's had no way of knowing the out pouring would be this huge. Yeah, there are devoted fans to this show, but I don't think anyone in a McDonald's thinktank would believe that there would be Canada to America Border Crossings to get a bite of sauce.

They probably didn't want to produce a whole bunch of sauce that might not have been asked for. McDonald's doesn't see us as people they should care for. They are a corporation. They see things in terms of making money and losing money. And having a whole bunch of sauce that no one is buying is firmly in the losing money category. Now they know the demand. And they already went to phase two saying it will happen again. And much like the NES classic, people will pounce on it harder than this time, driving up their sales. Reprehensible, certainly. But they are a business. Not a moral center.

Again, I don't find their tactics laudable. But this is a business practice happening all over the world constantly. While this is love to you and your fellow fans, this is business for them... and somewhat insanity to us on the fringes. Because yes, we all had these moments. When the iphone riots happened in China some years ago, I equally thought they were unhinged... as it is a phone. Riots or civil unrest over commercial items is mind boggling.

And I'm sorry... to me, it is hard to imagine that every Rick and Morty fan would go to McDonald's over a sauce. I don't eat McDonalds. Most of my family and friends do not. Frankly, McDonald's sales have been declining in the US for most of this year [http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/investing/mcdonalds-earnings-sales-down/index.html], a trend that's been happening for several years now. The more and more that people are less interested in McDonalds, the more it bleeds out of my consciousness.

And personally, I do not allow my interests to dictate where I'm going to eat as much as other people, it seems. McDonald's could have a Krav Maga day and I wouldn't eat there. They could have Street Fighter 3 third strike tournaments and I wouldn't be compelled to eat there. No disrespect to Rick and Morty fans, but not everyone eats or chooses to spend money at a place where there's a callout to their personal fandom. That's why testing the waters (if that's the case) was a great idea for McDonalds because they got a ton of publicity, albeit not all good, and created even more demand when they roll out with it later.

They now created a model for at least a revenue jolt any time they think sales are lower than usual. "Multiverse sauce is back at McDonald's for a limited time!".

Anyway, business decisions aside, it's sauce. From a bad fast food place. Disappointment aside (and yes McDonalds deserves blame for manufacturing disappointment), the actions that the collective of fans chose which made police presence needed in several states is an overreaction. And there's no talking out of that.

Because it's a sauce. From a bad fast food 'restaurant'. That a cartoon character referenced.
Im sorry but, like, I think you just really want to hate on Rick and Morty. I know you are a smart, fair, thoughtful person, but this seems rather back bracking of an attempt to excuse McDonalds and keep the blame on fans.

I think fandoms as a whole get more shit than they deserve, because I dont think it is often the fandoms fault, but the nature of humans. Just like when the internet gets blamed for people being shitty. Its not the internet, people are always shitty, the internet just gave those people a louder voice.

What actual huge fandom doesnt have toxic people? None. Because lots of people are prone to being shitty. There are shitty Rick and Morty fans, shitty Steven Universe fans, shitty MLP fans, shitty sports fans, shitty Firefly fans, shitty Game of Thrones fans, shitty...etc.

Really its like blaming violent video games for mass shootings. Mass shooters might take inspiration from a game, but they were prone to this behavior regardless, and could just as easily been inspired by a book, as many pre-video game shooters have, or even just 'hearing God'.

Blaming Rick and Morty is just unfair to Rick and Morty, and to the fans who ARENT toxic assholes.
What blame should McDonald's have exactly? They disappointed people. Big deal?

The blame for the actual shit falls squarely on the fans who reacted badly
Remember that next time some business screws you over for something -they- said they would do.
Well, for one, it would take a hell of a lot for a riot to be a reasonable reaction to a business failing to meet a promise

Secondly, no one got screwed over. They didn't get some sauce. It's actually outright absurd that you'd compare it to a business screwing someone over.

Thirdly, proportion. This isn't even a business failing to make good on a deal, it was a failed promotion. It's not like they took people's money then change the deal or something. This is like if I went to a business because they had something in stock then found out they didn't. Proper reaction? Go home, don't trust them, be a bit annoyed at them.
McDonalds is at fault for essentially false advertising. How people reacted was not ok, but neither was McDonalds basically lying to customers.

You are suggesting they arent at any fault, and that is just not true.
They aren't at fault for the riot in any sense

If you think I said they aren't at fault for failing to keep up their promise then you're just seeing things you want to see to complain about, my point is that lying about a bit of sauce isn't a big deal at all and that trying to bring that up in the face of a reaction involving rioting is pretty silly
Im just trying to be fair. Alot of people dont like being fair and just want to criticize those they hate, which seems to lean more on Rick and Morty fans which is unfair to those of us who arent rioting maniacs. You suggest I am just seeing what I want to see, but I make the same accusation to you and many others here.
No, you're not really trying to be fair, you're trying to equate people not getting sauce to people rioting

What you're being is overdefensive, I've got nothing against Rick and Morty fans, but in your zealousness to defend the fandom you're trying to diminish the rioters by suggesting that McDonald's somehow shares fault for not having enough sauce
Im defending the fans that didnt riot.
Why does that mean blaming McDonald's again?
Cause Im also defending customers (who also didnt riot) who just wanted to try some apparently very tasty sauce but didnt get to because McDonalds fucked up.
Ah, and who's attacking them again?

I mean I said "The blame for the actual shit falls squarely on the fans who reacted badly"

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:
While it's rather disappointing how some fans have acted when they didn't get the sauce. However the fault clearly lies with McDonalds for making this a one day event and only selling a very limited amount of the sauce.

It isn't hard to imagine that pretty much every rick and morty fan would go to McDonalds, just to try out the sauce to see if it's really that good.

McDonalds probably based the amount of sauce they sold on how much of an individual sauce the sell on average per day. They should have made this event a month or a week, at least then the restaurants could tell the customers that they have more on another day and not everyone would have to come to a restaurant on the same day.

Whoever planed that event wasn't very competent. Combine that with a large group where the people will push each other to more extreme behavior and this debacle couldn't play out in a different manner.
I looked up the riots for Nintendo over Classic NES unavailability. I didn't find any info.

The reason why most people aren't pointing out at McDonald's now is because companies fail us in other ways often. Is it a wonderful experience? Hell no. But we don't riots over these things. My little cousin wanted a Classic NES badly and I wanted to get one for her and I couldn't. She didn't rip her living room apart. We got some sorbet, I apologized, and she was bummed for a few days. I was heart broken.

And we moved on.

Again, I think this was a marketing ploy by McDonald's. To test the waters to see if anyone was really interested. As much as catering to fans sounds like a great idea when you are a fan, McDonald's had no way of knowing the out pouring would be this huge. Yeah, there are devoted fans to this show, but I don't think anyone in a McDonald's thinktank would believe that there would be Canada to America Border Crossings to get a bite of sauce.

They probably didn't want to produce a whole bunch of sauce that might not have been asked for. McDonald's doesn't see us as people they should care for. They are a corporation. They see things in terms of making money and losing money. And having a whole bunch of sauce that no one is buying is firmly in the losing money category. Now they know the demand. And they already went to phase two saying it will happen again. And much like the NES classic, people will pounce on it harder than this time, driving up their sales. Reprehensible, certainly. But they are a business. Not a moral center.

Again, I don't find their tactics laudable. But this is a business practice happening all over the world constantly. While this is love to you and your fellow fans, this is business for them... and somewhat insanity to us on the fringes. Because yes, we all had these moments. When the iphone riots happened in China some years ago, I equally thought they were unhinged... as it is a phone. Riots or civil unrest over commercial items is mind boggling.

And I'm sorry... to me, it is hard to imagine that every Rick and Morty fan would go to McDonald's over a sauce. I don't eat McDonalds. Most of my family and friends do not. Frankly, McDonald's sales have been declining in the US for most of this year [http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/investing/mcdonalds-earnings-sales-down/index.html], a trend that's been happening for several years now. The more and more that people are less interested in McDonalds, the more it bleeds out of my consciousness.

And personally, I do not allow my interests to dictate where I'm going to eat as much as other people, it seems. McDonald's could have a Krav Maga day and I wouldn't eat there. They could have Street Fighter 3 third strike tournaments and I wouldn't be compelled to eat there. No disrespect to Rick and Morty fans, but not everyone eats or chooses to spend money at a place where there's a callout to their personal fandom. That's why testing the waters (if that's the case) was a great idea for McDonalds because they got a ton of publicity, albeit not all good, and created even more demand when they roll out with it later.

They now created a model for at least a revenue jolt any time they think sales are lower than usual. "Multiverse sauce is back at McDonald's for a limited time!".

Anyway, business decisions aside, it's sauce. From a bad fast food place. Disappointment aside (and yes McDonalds deserves blame for manufacturing disappointment), the actions that the collective of fans chose which made police presence needed in several states is an overreaction. And there's no talking out of that.

Because it's a sauce. From a bad fast food 'restaurant'. That a cartoon character referenced.
Im sorry but, like, I think you just really want to hate on Rick and Morty. I know you are a smart, fair, thoughtful person, but this seems rather back bracking of an attempt to excuse McDonalds and keep the blame on fans.

I think fandoms as a whole get more shit than they deserve, because I dont think it is often the fandoms fault, but the nature of humans. Just like when the internet gets blamed for people being shitty. Its not the internet, people are always shitty, the internet just gave those people a louder voice.

What actual huge fandom doesnt have toxic people? None. Because lots of people are prone to being shitty. There are shitty Rick and Morty fans, shitty Steven Universe fans, shitty MLP fans, shitty sports fans, shitty Firefly fans, shitty Game of Thrones fans, shitty...etc.

Really its like blaming violent video games for mass shootings. Mass shooters might take inspiration from a game, but they were prone to this behavior regardless, and could just as easily been inspired by a book, as many pre-video game shooters have, or even just 'hearing God'.

Blaming Rick and Morty is just unfair to Rick and Morty, and to the fans who ARENT toxic assholes.

Remember that next time some business screws you over for something -they- said they would do.
Well, for one, it would take a hell of a lot for a riot to be a reasonable reaction to a business failing to meet a promise

Secondly, no one got screwed over. They didn't get some sauce. It's actually outright absurd that you'd compare it to a business screwing someone over.

Thirdly, proportion. This isn't even a business failing to make good on a deal, it was a failed promotion. It's not like they took people's money then change the deal or something. This is like if I went to a business because they had something in stock then found out they didn't. Proper reaction? Go home, don't trust them, be a bit annoyed at them.
McDonalds is at fault for essentially false advertising. How people reacted was not ok, but neither was McDonalds basically lying to customers.

If you think I said they aren't at fault for failing to keep up their promise then you're just seeing things you want to see to complain about, my point is that lying about a bit of sauce isn't a big deal at all and that trying to bring that up in the face of a reaction involving rioting is pretty silly
Im just trying to be fair. Alot of people dont like being fair and just want to criticize those they hate, which seems to lean more on Rick and Morty fans which is unfair to those of us who arent rioting maniacs. You suggest I am just seeing what I want to see, but I make the same accusation to you and many others here.
No, you're not really trying to be fair, you're trying to equate people not getting sauce to people rioting

What you're being is overdefensive, I've got nothing against Rick and Morty fans, but in your zealousness to defend the fandom you're trying to diminish the rioters by suggesting that McDonald's somehow shares fault for not having enough sauce
Cause Im also defending customers (who also didnt riot) who just wanted to try some apparently very tasty sauce but didnt get to because McDonalds fucked up.

I mean I said "The blame for the actual shit falls squarely on the fans who reacted badly"
When businesses break their own promises, then fuck them for how people react.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
ObsidianJones said:
Neonsilver said:

And we moved on.

How about no? People are responsible for acting in proportion to what provokes them. Throwing a tantrum over not getting sauce isn't the business's fault, that's squarely on the people who act like they're 4 year olds

Not to mention, they're abusive to people not even making the decision because despite what your horrid defense, the rioters are shit people

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
You also are blatantly trying to abstract it to 'a company failed to keep their promises' as if it isn't just a bunch of manchildren throwing a tantrum over not getting sauce

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Saelune said:
Well you clearly have never worked in customer service if you think this behaviour is in any way justified. Did McDonald's fuck up. Yes but as others have said the reasonable response to not getting a sachet of sauce is to be disappointed and maybe send a complaint email. Not to have a tantrum like a child

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MetalDooley said:
Saelune said:
Well you clearly have never worked in customer service if you think this behaviour is in any way justified. Did McDonald's fuck up. Yes but as others have said the reasonable response to not getting a sachet of sauce is to be disappointed and maybe send a complaint email. Not to have a tantrum like a child
No I have. I have seen both sides, and both sides like to forget the other side is made up of people too.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
You also are blatantly trying to abstract it to 'a company failed to keep their promises' as if it isn't just a bunch of manchildren throwing a tantrum over not getting sauce
They did. I dont see why we need to just blame this or that. The rioters are at fault for rioting. McDonalds is at fault for promising things they must have known they could not keep. And the haters who want to just condemn fandoms are at fault for blaming fans for liking something they dont.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Saelune said:
No I have. I have seen both sides, and both sides like to forget the other side is made up of people too.
Fair enough.

But it still doesn't justify this response. There were obviously plenty of people who didn't get the sauce and were probably disappointed but didn't react like toddlers.

I have to deal with stuff like this on a daily basis (well not quite like thisat the moment as thankfully I am not dealing with customers face to face in my current job) so I will never take the side of the people reacting like idiots. I'll sympathise with the disappointed customers who reacted reasonably and I'm not making excuses for McD's either as they should have had an adequate supply in the first place but frankly anyone who reacts like this over something so stupid can fuck right off

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Saelune said:
They did. I dont see why we need to just blame this or that. The rioters are at fault for rioting. McDonalds is at fault for promising things they must have known they could not keep. And the haters who want to just condemn fandoms are at fault for blaming fans for liking something they dont.
Because when it comes to the riot, McDonald's did nothing at all that could reasonably provoke that response.

This is as stupid as saying both people are at fault if someone insults the other and the other pulls a gun on him

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Man, I feel so bad for those poor McDonald's employees. They don't get paid enough for their day-to-day tasks, let alone endure the psychotic ravings of unhinged manchildren.
Redlin5 said:
This sucks, now I'm embarrassed to say I'm a fan of the show because people think of these guys first...
Welcome to my world, where I have to often specify that I'm not that type of MLP/Steven Universe/Star Wars/Star Trek/WH40k fan.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
It fucking BAFFLES me to think that people think they're smart just 'cuz they understand Rick and Morty. That's a low bar to set, I guess dumb people will look for any old validation to think they're not dumb.

All you need to know to understand almost all of Rick and Morty is enough science-fiction themes and tropes. It's not intellectually based. And it's super ironic everyone's too dumb to realize how they've become specifically what Rick would hate in people when they herd-think like this.

Seriously though, Rick and Morty is fantastic, and I think it's only had one bad episode so far, and that was inter-dimensional television 2. Improv lightning didn't strike twice, lots of the little scenes were lame.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
The fault for what? The riot? Because lolno, disproportionate reactions are the fault of those who reacted disproportionately

What blame should McDonald's have exactly?
ObsidianJones said:

Probably should have written it a little bit different. Any riots or other extreme behavior of the customers is still their fault. Mob mentality doesn't free anyone from guilt.

However McDonalds is at fault for creating an event where it is to be expected that a large group of people would come to a single place and they are at fault for creating a situation where a large number of those people would be severely disappointed. Combine this disappointment with mob mentality and you get a powder keg that is just waiting to go off.
McDonalds failed to get a proper estimate on the amount of sauce they would need.

In regards to the Classic NES unavailability and the Burning Man: The Classic NES weren't sold on just a single day. Even if someone didn't get one on launch day, there was a good chance you could get one at a later date. Additionally there were probably a lot smaller groups in single shops, since it was probably sold in a lot more locations and again for a longer time.
The Burning Man happens on regular basis, so again the disappointment might not be that bad since everyone knows they get another chance.

In regards to the sauce, it's on the other hand questionable if McDonalds will anytime soon sell the sauce again.

ObsidianJones said:
Again, I think this was a marketing ploy by McDonald's. To test the waters to see if anyone was really interested.
While would like to agree on that, that would mean that whoever planed the ploy is even more incompetent. Selling the sauce on a single day in a very limited amount would not give adequate statistical data to determine, if it would be profitable to sell any of the sauces of the event on a long term/permanent basis. A week or a month would be better, because then they could make some estimates on the number of people coming back and buying the sauce again. Instead of having just a number of people who wanted to know, if rick is right and the sauce really is delicious.

The entire event was badly and in haste planned to cash in on the temporary attention the show provided them.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I mean... it sucks for the locations that were supposed to get some and didn't, but as for the ones that didn't have enough? McDonald's announcement literally said "supplies would be extremely limited." Not their fault that a bunch of plebs can't read.
Also really don't see why people think watching Rick and Morty means you're smart. I don't think I'm any smarter than others just because I already knew wtf Zardoz was. It's almost as bad as those people who think watching Big Bang Theory makes them a geek...

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
MHR said:
It fucking BAFFLES me to think that people think they're smart just 'cuz they understand Rick and Morty. That's a low bar to set, I guess dumb people will look for any old validation to think they're not dumb.
Tell me has anyone met people like this outside of the forced meme?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, Rick and Morty has a supremely shitty fanbase.

Shouldn't come as a surprise really. It's about a selfish, arsehole genius character who walks all over everyone because he can. It's going to attract a lot of garden variety arseholes who think they're geniuses and like the idea of walking all over everyone. (Of course they will all somehow miss the part about their idol being profoundly miserable and self-hating to the point of attempting suicide and only failing because he was too drunk to finish the job.)

Shame though. The show itself is good stuff.

It's funny actually. The show has this whole thing about thinking for yourself and not just going with the crowd and its fans respond with, "Pickle Rick wubba-lubba-dub-dub lololol szechuan sauce!"

At least a got a good laugh from the screencaps of people having meltdowns over not getting fast food sauce that a cartoon told them was tasty. Christ, go look up a recipe, make your own. Isn't that what Rick would do?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah, Rick and Morty has a supremely shitty fanbase.
Way to paint an entire fanbase, the thing about 'shitty fanbases' is it's the shitty part that yells the loudest and gets the most attention. The focus in this instance being some nonsense about a sauce that was mentioned in the show. So a few hundred dicks decided shockingly to be dicks, what about the rest of the fan base... the guys who went to work that day lived their lives, went out with their families, went for a drive, had a day off and just relaxed or what about the fans that did turn up and then left when it looked to be going down hill? It's real easy to look at a select few and tar the majority because of the idiotic actions of the vocal minority.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Schadrach said:
From what I understand, McDonald's kind of fucked up this promotion from a logistical standpoint. Most participating outlets got less than 2 dozen of the sauce in total and there were a bunch of locations that were advertised as participating but had no stock whatsoever.

Yeah people went nuts, and yeah let's laugh at the idiots, but this really was a logistical mess on McDonald's side.
Yeah this is true. I know people like to get their hate bones out for fandoms and yeah some fandoms do stupid stuff but Mcdonalds royally fucked this up. Horribly understocking things when they knew there would be a high demand and not only that only provided them in specific locations which means, people had to plan a whole day around this in a crowded place that within ten minutes probably ran out of supply which of course leads to this sort of situation. Honestly any high demand specific location item would be like this but ya know why take in the whole situation when someone can rant bout something they don't like *shrugs*

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Zhukov said:
(Of course they will all somehow miss the part about their idol being profoundly miserable and self-hating to the point of attempting suicide and only failing because he was too drunk to finish the job.)
Thta would only make the kekistani/channer slugs only identify with him MORE.