Why Did No One Pick Up The Wonder Woman Series?

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Because, its just not that interesting....well wonderwoman is at least.
The only 3 comic book heroes I ever picked up were Lady Death, Spawn, and *drumroll* the amazing DEADPOOL!

CombiBlood

Nov 18, 2009
A Wonder Woman movie is planned to drop in 2013?...well last time I check which was like 3-4 months ago.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Aiddon said:
goddamned 18-35 male demographic. I have honestly gotten frustrated at the lack of good action heroines in media (and yes, games are equally guilty of this).
If female heroes sold then it would be worth it but since they dont sell so how can you blame no one for wanting to pick it up and run with it?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Wonderwoman is just a bad character.

Queen of the Amazons?
Really?
Her creation was just to appeal to little girls who needed someone like Superman or Batman to look up too.
They needed someone who was able to stand together with Superman and Batman and be that strong female role model that made them equal, it's her whole point.

WonderWoman Wiki said:
Wonder Woman is an Amazon (based on the Amazons of Greek mythology) and was created by Marston, an American, as a "distinctly feminist role model whose mission was to bring the Amazon ideals of love, peace, and sexual equality to a world torn by the hatred of men."
As a character her raison d'être is simply out dated in today's society, now her own appeal is based on her own likability and not what she stands for anymore.
The cast of heroes around her has female heroes who are just as strong and independent as her and her own worth is now just not as good as it used to be.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Lyri said:
Wonderwoman is just a bad character.

Queen of the Amazons?
Really?
Her creation was just to appeal to little girls who needed someone like Superman or Batman to look up too.
They needed someone who was able to stand together with Superman and Batman and be that strong female role model that made them equal, it's her whole point.

WonderWoman Wiki said:
Wonder Woman is an Amazon (based on the Amazons of Greek mythology) and was created by Marston, an American, as a "distinctly feminist role model whose mission was to bring the Amazon ideals of love, peace, and sexual equality to a world torn by the hatred of men."
As a character her raison d'être is simply out dated in today's society, now her own appeal is based on her own likability and not what she stands for anymore.
The cast of heroes around her has female heroes who are just as strong and independent as her and her own worth is now just not as good as it used to be.
No offense, to you or Africa, but BEEN to Africa?

Sexism and female exploitism is alive and well, just not in the 1st world.

That being said I think the reason Wonderwoman doesn't sell is she's too large cheese. WTF is with that costume? Her powers are only vaugly defined.

Make her a strong (note I did not use the term 'Badass') warrior woman, put her in some real armor, and focus on the fact that she's serving ancient gods - her setting is swords and sorcery. Also focus on the fact that her primary mission is the enforcement of world peace.

A "Thor" esque story where she awakens in an unfamiliar world without all her powers necessarily (immediatly! She'd have them by at least mid movie and be throwing busses), and fights teh tyrranies and terrorists, would be best.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
It is not the fact that Wonder Woman is a woman; it is the fact the Wonder Woman is anti-masculine. We have yet to see an anti-feminine superhero make it big in the movies (at least to my knowledge), and I hope we never do.

Furthermore, it is inconsistent to expound and claim understanding for the financial and non-gender political reasons while saying it is all about gender. Even if gender was part or all of the issue, it is not wise to insist that the world sucks because few appear to agree with you. I'm sorry if you feel the stars ought have aligned for a Wonder Woman film, but the proper people are not in the proper places in the proper proportions.

Again, if I had to put forth a guess as to why those with money find Wonder Woman unmarketable, it would be less that fact that she is a woman and more a fact that she is a character built upon the sexist and unfounded principle that women are intrinsically better than men.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Pugiron said:
Canid117 said:
Just give it to Joss Whedon and have him do the damn series.
So, you hate Wonder Woman and want the series to suck and only be popular with the small percentage of the viewing public that like Joss Wheedon, therefore getting cancelled as fast as Firefly? Buffy and Angel were never as popular as the Wheedon fanbase pretend they were, and his series have all been progressively less popular than the previos show. Sorry, Wheedon-ites, money is more important to Warner than Fanservice.
A) The shows while only decently popular were pretty good (at least buffy and firefly were never saw the others)
B) Say what you want about Whedon but at least he tries
C) You are acting like a dick

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Covarr said:
The problem isn't that Wonder Woman is a woman. The problem is that this fact has a tendency of being shoved down audiences' throats. Make a show where her primary role is as a superhero, rather than a politically correct empowerment message, and it'll be entertaining. Basically, take her gender for granted instead of focusing on it.

P.S. Thanks

Edit: But now that I think about it, this is one of the few writers on TV capable of writing females as people instead of tools to convey a message. So now I have no clue why it didn't work.
This.

Oh, and she was a bondage symbol for how many years? Between the two, it can't happen.

Once people get over gender and go with it, then they'll do something like make her cool, which means comic people will hate them, which means it still won't happen.

Not such a bad thing though, there's lots of better comic peoples to work with. Just ignore that wolverine movie and you're fine.

Pugiron said:
Canid117 said:
Just give it to Joss Whedon and have him do the damn series.
So, you hate Wonder Woman and want the series to suck and only be popular with the small percentage of the viewing public that like Joss Wheedon, therefore getting cancelled as fast as Firefly? Buffy and Angel were never as popular as the Wheedon fanbase pretend they were, and his series have all been progressively less popular than the previos show. Sorry, Wheedon-ites, money is more important to Warner than Fanservice.
Another person who thinks Wheedon sucks? o.0

Woah.. I didn't think I'd meet one, especially on Escapist. I do like Firefly, it was reasonably original. But apart from that..

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
I am gonna go with people not knowing Wonder Woman. Probably why Supergirl,1984 didn't do well either even though superman did. When you think of these heroes, there does come into mind at some point, an archenemy. I know Wonder Woman probably had one but I don't remember. Because somewhere in thinking how awesome it would be to see this hero on the big screen or on TV, you are going to imagine how great the big fight they are going to have at the end, is going to be. Batman has Joker or any of them, they are all good, Superman has Lex Luthor, Spiderman has like Batman, any of them are good. But who is Wonder Woman going to fight at the end?

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
She's a boring character with random powers and a backstory that doesn't fit in with the DC universe at all, but go ahead and blame it on "women heroes being a novelty."

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Why not do it ala-Captain America? Set the movie during World War II. In one part, you have the gritty world at war. In Wonder Woman's world, you have a Paradisical society run by women. When Steve Trevor's plane crashes on Paradise Island, he's surprised that a world so untouched by the horrors and grittiness of the war still exists. And yet, one of the women who lives on the Island so believes in bringing the perfection of the existence she has known to the outside world leaves with him to try and help remake his world into her own.

You could show other Amazons would fight for other reasons. Some because they miss the war and real fighting they have been denied on the island. Others want to force the man's world into the mould of their own and others just want to take revenge on the World of Men for their Queen's long ago humiliation at the hands of Hercules. But only Diana wants to be a bright, shining beacon of the way things could be for the entire world if they simply follow the ways of the Amazons. Not to force people into following her, but to persuade by example, to become an Icon for others to follow.

And that, then, becomes her foes. People who would force anyone into their mould, whether the Nazis, the communists, etc. Her "superpowers" aren't powers as such, but hundreds of years of training that allow her to know her own strengths and play to them, as well as training in fighting and such that no one else can match, along with the bracelets that allow her to deflect bullets (superstrong metal that disperses the inertia of the bullets) a lasso that compels the truth from the speech of anyone wrapped within it, and a jet constructed of superscience that's much like the Blackbird of today- completely invisible to radar while being made of pretty much the same material as the bracers/bracelets and a tiara that acts like Xena's Chakram.

It can be done, but it would take some thought.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
No offense, to you or Africa, but BEEN to Africa?

Sexism and female exploitism is alive and well, just not in the 1st world.

That being said I think the reason Wonderwoman doesn't sell is she's too large cheese. WTF is with that costume? Her powers are only vaugly defined.

Make her a strong (note I did not use the term 'Badass') warrior woman, put her in some real armor, and focus on the fact that she's serving ancient gods - her setting is swords and sorcery. Also focus on the fact that her primary mission is the enforcement of world peace.

A "Thor" esque story where she awakens in an unfamiliar world without all her powers necessarily (immediatly! She'd have them by at least mid movie and be throwing busses), and fights teh tyrranies and terrorists, would be best.
Do they get Wonder woman in Africa because I have no idea?

I'll just go out on a limb and say that most of the sales would be from the first world, not from 3rd world countries which is the point of the article is it not?
You may well have just said "Sexism is still rife in Islam, thus she's relevant" well sorry but she isn't.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SpiderJerusalem said:
If you Whedon haters are going to use Firefly as an excuse to mock the guy, at least do some fact checking on WHY the show was cancelled in the first place.

I'll give you a hint, it's a three letter word that starts with F and ends with OX.
Yes, Fox canceled Firefly. Some things suggest they handled it poorly(maybe even positioned it for failure), but at the end of the day he was right, Firefly was still canceled because not enough people watched it. Big budget sci-fi needs big numbers in order to be profitable, and this is coming from someone who very much enjoys it.

Sixcess said:
She's got a terrible back story - try making Princess Diana of the secret island of the Amazons sound like anything other than bad pulp fiction or a juvenile lesbian fantasy.
A few other have said similar as well, and I just want to say - As opposed to what? I don't particularly care for Wonder Woman one way or the other, but almost every superheroes back story is just as campy or weird. If it's possible for someone to craft a film that allows people to swallow their suspension of belief that a billionaire playboy trained by ninjas dresses up like a bat and fights crime, an altruistic super powered alien crash lands and his clever disguise is a pair of glasses or a radioactive spider bites someone and gives them spider-like powers instead of just a rash, then it can be done.