Why do games have friendly fire?

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
WrongSprite said:
A touch more realism perhaps? Adding an extra layer of skill, so that you have to take care not to hurt your teammates?
If anything in incourages people to be douchebags more often.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
superbatranger said:
Speaking of all this, why the hell is it called friendly fire? Because it sure isn't fucking friendly when the guy next to you "accidentally" unloads a clip in your face.
'Cause the guy who fired it was a friendly soldier.

Although if we're speaking literally, he really wasn't...

blaze2142

May 27, 2008
Too add realism and to teach kids that shooting your allies is bad and you will have to start over if you do.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
To shoot that guy that just took the sniper rifle so you can have it.

Why else?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
To add another layer of realism and skill required to excel in the game.

I'm still quite fond of the "MW2 Ricochet" method of dealing with friendly fire, you shoot someone, you take the damage!

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Friendly fire is present for the same reason that weapons with splash damage can make you kill yourself.

It's there to make players be careful and think about what they're doing, you can't just sprint around blindly emptying a nuke cannon into anything that moves (that's gonna result in you reducing most of your team to a fine paste before you've even found the enemy).

Friendly fire 'forces' a team to work together and be mindful of where they each are in relation to one another (or it could have bad consequences).

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
Because it's funny to grief losers who have no life aside from playing another stupid, derivative FPS game online.

I mean seriously. I'm all for playing games, but there comes a point in time where you should at least be looking for a job and a partner of your sexual preference rather than sitting in your parents' basement drinking Bawls and popping your zits.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Because when you have an ally who is annoying as hell it helps to be able to kill them yourself. SLIPPY!