Why do people hate Mojang?

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
I don't hate them. That company is great. But March Madness [censored] so many peoples brackets it doesn't matter wether what they did was good or not. I still stand on my point: THey shouldn't have won. Not because I hate them, not because they made bade games, because they made ONE good game. And for all we know, it could very well be sheer luck it got so popular. Valve, Bioware, Nintendo, they worked hard to get their notoriety. Only to see it completely destroyed by what could be "Lucky newcomer".

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
forsinain42 said:
zpucek said:
Why do people LOVE Mojang?
Because they are a game company that doesn't care about profits/commercial success. They are a company who do what they love and that love comes through in minecraft.

I get the same feeling from double fine and to a lesser extent. valve. They are people who really want to make games and it shows.
Agreed entirely. As a musician, I can always tell when someone is phoning it in. Equally, as a gamer, I can tell when a studio is only trying to shift units.

Passion in art is self-evident and those who demonstrate it through their work should be supported by our community.

mudE13

Jul 3, 2010
I actually love Minecraft, but we all need to realize a couple of things. First off this is one of the very few great non-console exclusives that has come out recently. Since the hardcore PC gamers really don't have too much to brag about anymore, they are going crazy over Minecraft. Second, I don't think Mojang should have been exclude from the bracket, but they honestly shouldn't have made it that far since the game is still in Beta. I also understand some people might be basing this on this year alone. That's why I can see some companies like Valve not making it all the way, but the fact of the matter is this...can you honestly say to yourself that Minecraft is better than Mass Effect 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Fallout New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, and Starcraft 2. And if you were looking at this as overall accomplishments then, I'm sorry, but they shouldn't have made it farther than the first round and you're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I don't hate Mojang, I hate Minecraft and that's because of its fans for the most part. Do you know how many people honestly believe that Minecraft is the most innovative game ever? Quite a few. The problem is that they claim its innovative without evidence. It hasn't made an impact on the medium, everything its done has been done before 6 years ago by a certain mod made by a man named Gary and everything else has become a common sight in gaming. Its not as big and popular as they think it is. A million people bought the alpha and the beta for Minecraft since 2008, but Black Ops had 2.6 million unique players on launch day...on the Xbox alone. And heck, I could even play the Farmville card as well.

So in short, I don't mind Mojang, I dislike Minecraft due to its fan base. Just like how a lot of people hate Justin Bieber for his crazy pre-teen fans.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Fanta Grape said:
No one hates it. I've been getting EXTREMELY pissed at the March Mayhem thing, but there's been no direct hate towards the company. They do a GREAT job. But please do tell me when they make a multimillion dollar budget game featuring the top of the line technology, a parallax vision handheld console that emits 3D without glasses, create some of the best coop/multiplayer experiences in a first person shooter situation, or write the most compelling narratives in the gaming industry.
This is how I feel, the army of fanboys will storm the event and take home the prize for one not completed game. Bioware, or several of the other developers deserved to win this, and didn't, company's who have made good games that we enjoy over and over again, and yes they have made mistakes, but that what will come eventually when a company is out for a while. It called, 'being human'.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
I don't "hate" Mojang. Hell, I even love Minecraft. But they should not have won march madness. They only released one game in the two years they existed. Sigh...

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
I would say troll post is troll. And yes, we all flocked to say nobody hates mojang.

Oh and your name reminds me of someone but I just cant remember who...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
no one hates them but alot of people are pissed that a company that hasnt shipped a single game has managed to beat real game companies with many beloved games under their belts

really majong shouldnt be on this list yet since minecraft isnt even out of beta yet

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I'm glad they got as far as they did. I thought it was a powerful message that they beat out Nintendo, who has been pretty lackluster as far as first party titles go since Super Mario Galaxy. I really did not expect them to beat Valve, and now that it looks like they're going to take the whole thing I'm not sure what to think. A lot of the big names were weeded out early on as they were pitted against one another, and I guess Mojang was a lot of people's second choice.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
To answer your question:

They hate Majong/Minecraft because they don't want to see the truth, that their 60$ overhyped gamecrap is beaten by a 15$ game with real gameplay, where you have to proof, that your brain is still functional.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Minecraft is a medium fun game. I certainly enjoyed it quite a bit. But other developers have shown good results consistently throughout years. Like Valve, Bioware, Blizzard who are all objectively better game developers.

So I'd say, people don't hate Mojang, haters hate trollvoting. Wonder why Zynga (Farmville) didn't win. They certainly are more popular. But of course it is a bad game for bad people.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
nukethewhales said:
They made a SINGLE good game (too my knowledge)
This is my issue with it, because even that's not entirely true. They're MAKING a single good game, it's not even out of alpha from what I've seen. Hell, I'm almost on level ground in the criteria of what makes you qualify as a developer, and I've seen people on this forum that are further.

Not anywhere near as successful, but I suppose it irks me a little that they could disappear without technically having completed a single game and still outrank the companies that built the industry.

But...the people have spoken I guess. I strongly disagree with the consensus, but people are just using their own criteria to judge, for better or worse.

Oh, and I don't hate Mojang. Go Mojang, you're doing great, keep up the good work! I just think giving them awards at this point is premature.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
?

Ive never met anyone who hated them, They probably shouldnt have won March Mayhem but they're still great developers

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
It's simply backlash against all the praise Notch is getting.

He is a shitty coder (admitted himself) who started work on a game (originally a clone of Infiniminer). Then as he started making more and more money, updates to his game started to dwindle, whether it was because he was busy starting Mojang, or if he was simply lazy remains unclear.

Because of this, it may appear to people that he beat all other developers in a contest of awesomeness despite the fact he has only one release that is a poorly coded upgrade of someone else's work, updated on a 'whenever-the-fuck' basis, that isn't even finished yet.

If that doesn't warrant backlash, I don't know what does.

Ein987

Jan 15, 2011
It's not that people hate Mojang, it's that people hate that they're winning against everyone.

Stevanchez

Apr 15, 2009
forsinain42 said:
zpucek said:
Why do people LOVE Mojang?
Because they are a game company that doesn't care about profits/commercial success. They are a company who do what they love and that love comes through in minecraft.

I get the same feeling from double fine and to a lesser extent. valve. They are people who really want to make games and it shows.
Yeah. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one.

Do they make you pay for the game?
Then they care about profit.

Did they not just ask all of their fans to further their exposure by voting and getting the word out about their game on a widely veiwed gaming website?
Then they care about commercial success and exposure.

Come on, let's not make it out like their the one pure light in the dark world of evil gaming corporations.

I don't hate Mojang, I don't like their game, I don't think they deserved to win MM, but it's not that big of a deal and the extremes on both sides are REALLY ridiculous.