Why do people hate Mojang?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Because they won March Mayhem. The developer that's been around for less than two years and has one game won over the other 63 developers. Probably the only reason for ze hate.
mad825 said:
Quite the contrary, Mojang hasn't even made one complete game yet. I would call that unfair by the fact they won but hey that's my opinion.
Bobbity said:
We don't. It's just that we're annoyed to see it beating out the old favourites: Valve and Bioware.
Hey guys - Bioware hasn't lost yet. Voting is open until Monday - we're not even half done with this vote yet.

So, as of right now, Mojang hasn't won anything. Yet.

If you're on this thread and want to prevent that, please both Vote for Bioware and post on your twitter, facebook, and any other forums you frequent to get more new members here on the Escapist to vote for Bioware.

And if you want Mojang to win, I suppose you could do the same. But I'd prefer you didn't, since I'm trying to recruit support for Bioware!

OT: I don't hate Mojang. In fact, I wish people would stop being jerks on the other thread about the two companies. Do I think Mojang deserved to get this far? No. But do I think they deserve to be in the competition? Yes. And do I think Mojang is a great company with lots of potential? Yes. So no hate here - just a desire to see the prize go to a company that helped build the industry rather than a newcomer.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
Idk what all the whining is about tbh March Madness is just
a popularity contest so what ever dev has the newest/ most innovative game out wins.

Anyone in their right mind knows Bioware, Nintendo, Valve, and Blizzard are all way better developers and Mojang AB doesn't even come close.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
I personally don't hate Mojang, but I don't believe they deserved to win March Mayhem. They haven't been around that long and for all we know they just got lucky with Minecraft. Admitedly that stroke of luck produced something amazing, but still.

If they continue to produce great games then maybe they might "deserve" it as much as Nintendo or Valve, who have been pumping out quality games for a good long time now. Compared to that, I don't believe Mojang deserved the victory they got.

Then again, I'm just one guy right? Thats my two cents.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Nobody hates Mojang. People hate that they've only made 1/2 of a game and they're mutilating all the huge companies like Nintendo, Bioware, Valve, Epic, etc. I like Minecraft, but I'm not as addicted to it as I could be. In fact, I haven't played it in a good while.
However, I kinda wish Frictional had gotten some more attention. As far as indie developers go, Frictional is my favorite. I also like Playdead, but like Mojang, they've only made one game.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Actual said:
I don't hate them, I respect what they've done very much.

However their game doesn't appeal to me personally and I think the extreme level of rabid loyalty they're getting is perplexing. March Madness was the best example of this, people were dumping on companies who've provided us with years of quality gaming for the producers of a digital lego game.
People were saying that Mojang is "raping EA's whore" who apparently has never produced a good game.

People are opinionated, and I am of the opinion that people think every other game must be horrible if it isn't by their favourite developer (or they're just dicks).

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
I just think it is hilarious looking at all the people who are upset because a developer, whom they have nothing to do with, beat another more favoured developer, who they also have nothing to do with, in an internet poll.

The phrase "get a life" comes in handy very rarely - but I feel this may almost call for it.

The developer of Lord of the Rings Online won the first two March Mayhems. It's obviously not that much of an important poll - and even if it was, who cares? Does Mojang winning effect Bioware or Valve in the slightest? Does it mean you won't be able to play Portal 2 or Mass Effect 3? Just vote for who you like more, and go away.

martintox said:
People hate Mojang because they have beaten Valve (or any other developper) in March Mayhem and that Notch basically begged his fans to vote for him.
Notch said:
Soo exciting, please vote for us!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/tournaments/standings/5"
One short sentence. To call that begging is quite the stretch.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I don't hate them, I just think they are not better than most of the developers. And I don't have an actual opinion on them since I have not played Minecraft.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
People don't hate them, people hate the people who voted they were the best developer evar. I do not hate Mojang, I like playing Minecraft, but I think Bioware is a better developer.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I don't hate 'em at all, they rank up there with other cool indy devs. Gotta have respect for people that do their own thing.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
zfactor said:
People don't hate them, people hate the people who voted they were the best developer evar. I do not hate Mojang, I like playing Minecraft, but I think Bioware is a better developer.
I would think that this post effectively sums up a lot of opinions regarding Mojang and the March Mayhem thing.

Vaupell

Jan 23, 2008
I think he is confusing hate with people being annoyed,
by the fact that Majong beat their personal favorites on the rankings.
But that have nothing to do with hate, its a temporary insanity issue. ;)

No hate.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Because it just got really popular. It's the cycle of internet fandom, something is presented, gets popular, and after a small group of people say they hate it, everyone says they do. Just look at CoD and Zero Punctuation. I remember calling that this would happen, now I need to go looking through my posts to find it.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Actually most people in the industry think what Mojang's pulled off is great.

More power to 'em.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
It's not really hate, it's nerdrage.

And nerdraging over the silliest and most inconsequential things is (apparently) a big part of being a nerd.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Dont hate the company but I give even less credit then what I did before (which wasnt very much) to any discussions on this website.

Woodscare

of Awesometon
Sep 18, 2009
I don't hate Mojang, just don't think they should have gone as far as it did in March Mayhem for a half finished game.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
Personally I don't hate Mojang. The only thing that annoys me is the fact they win a popularity contest against the greatest developers in the world, while they haven't even released the final version of their first game.

It's a great achievement, and it's just a popularity contest but Mojang should't even be on it in the first place.

Besides, I've played minecraft. It's an amazing game. Is it better than any game developed by Bioware or Valve or Nintendo or many others? Hell no!

But it's like I said. MM is just a pointless popularity contest. What counts is the final product quality and I've been playing many things recently. Minecraft isn't one of them.