Why DO people hate Nickelback?

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
The music fucking sucks, they sing about stupid bullshit and the lead singer is a total doucher

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Besides the fact that they're sound is generic as hell, the singer sounds like a southern ass-fuck with auto-tune (it's the only way I can tell I'm suffering from a sudden case of Nickelback), and their lack of talent (even Justin Bieber is more tolerable), they are a fantastic band. The bands in my school have a better sound, even if their singer is just atricious.

If that was flaming to any of you, sorry, I really despise Nickelback.

P.S: I'm not understanding why a lot of people on this thread are going for the "It's mainstream, so it must be hated" argument. It may be valid for the video game world on some cases, but music is very different. Plenty of people love Metallica, and they are one of the most influential bands in the last 30 years. To me, the argument is more of a case of the elitist being an elitist to the elitists. Call me a douche (which is inevitable) but that's my honest opinion.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Probably becuase they're a rock band with no distinguishable sound, whose songs all sound the same and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Worse than freakin' Linkin Park, and that's something.
I beg to differ. if you hear Nickelback on the radio you KNOW they are Nickelback :p

To be honest I think Nickleback have some okay songs.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I've no idea. Having not listened to them extensively to feel one way or the other. The few that I have heard give me a profound sense of meh, with an added pinch of melancholic indifference. I either wait through it, or press skip, and get back to my upbeat, awesome music.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Mmm they are more irritating then worth hating. really they are like a boring movie. The type that really you seen 20x before.

And here they are again! They are not terrible just forgettable. That is if the radio would allot it for to be forgotten. See my point if they stopped playing nickelback they would just dissapear.

Now they are fly in your bedroom.

Grotch Willis

May 10, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Probably becuase they're a rock band with no distinguishable sound, whose songs all sound the same and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Worse than freakin' Linkin Park, and that's something.
This, Exactly this. Thank you for the perfect explanation.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Nickelback have taken it upon themselves to be part of an art form built from emotion and power. The purpose of this art form (music) is to inspire, to prompt an emotional response and to be fucking awesome.
Nickelback fail at all of this. They have no power or emotion behind their sound or their lyrics. They are static, dull and lifeless. They have no reason to be a part of the music industry because they have no purpose.

When you listen to an album or go to a live show, you want to be moved! To be inspired! To be awe-stricken! You do not get this from Nickelback!

Where is the rage? The hate? The love? The passion? The excitement?!

There is fuck all depth to them! They are void of everything that makes great music great!!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't hate them. I reckon some of there melody's are pretty good. However, I've heard from MTV and other popular stations that they have been declared greatest band of the 2000s at least 5 times, and just like Twilight being rated one of the great horrors, it doesn't come even close.

Nickelback isn't the only ones getting a lot of hate though, mostly all the pop is today.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Don't get the hate or even the dislike, I really like about 1/4 of their music 2/4 is OK and 1/4 I avoid if possible. But seriously there are much worse bands out there. Also the hate originates from the fact they are so popular I think and there are always people who hate popular things because they are popular, or because they are not "alternative" or "original" enough. Nickelback isn't bad they are just safe and mainstream. I kinda noticed that there are very little reasonable explanations, but then again hate is irrational and mostly non sensible.

Sep 14, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
People hate mainstream man.

I for one don't hate Nickelback, I just preferred them when they were more of a grunge band.

Their album "The State" is the main one I refer to, that and "Curb". Here are some links!

roughly this.

they are "listenable", as in you won't find it on any of my playlists but if it pops on then i'm probably not going to care too much, and i'll agree that a good chunk of their newer music sounds very similar.

and yeah, alot of their songs might be pretty shallow about drugs/sex/drinking/partying, but please, thousands of artists have done that in the past who were just as successful but you don't see people foaming at the mouth in rage toward them.

i can see why people wouldn't like them, which is fine, but when you are raging so hard to the point that your head is exploding across the concrete then we have some problems, and i also have noticed as of late the ridiculous amount of angst that has been pointed at nickelback.

but then again..we are on the internet, the escapist specifically, if any artist has above 1,000 youtube views on their songs they probably are going to be hated beyond belief.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Not a single one of their songs has memorable instrumentals. If their vocals are at all memorable, it would be in the "Traumatic event" sort of way.

They just make really, really shitty music. If you don't forget it entirely in an hour, it is only because of how exceptionally shitty it was.

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
BX3 said:
I don't really get it myself. Hell, it's not like they're terrible.

I guess people hate them for the same reason I hate Cars 2. Not great, not horrid, but so painfully average that most people have no idea as to why they even exist in the first place. That's my theory anyway.

Me? Eh, I don't care for them, but I'd be lying out my ass if I said there weren't one or two songs by them I like.
This my opinion in a nutshell. I know that they're not an excellent band, in fact they're really quite bland, but some of their songs found their way onto my iPod anyway and I'm content with listening to them. I'll never adore them, and I wouldn't miss them if they went away, they're just there. I don't hate them because their mediocrity is popular though, not when there's crap like Ke$ha in my sights.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Because his voice sounds like he needs to gargle with white phosphorous.

Seriously. It's got to be the dumbest idea ever to try and sing grungy vocals over really poppy chord changes and lyrics.

DarqueMage

Aug 4, 2011
Don't know about other people, but I personally can't get past the pretentious lyrics and Chad Kroeger's singing style. He just puts way too much emphasis in his singing, like someone who's setting out to make every last syllable of the song some deep emotional experience that will forever be remembered as the greatest "hold up a lighter and conceive your kids during this part" rock ballad of all time. Actually I'm pretty certain he wants to be Meat Loaf; but to me he'll always have the talent of well, meatloaf.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
"Have we got any Nickleback fans on the Escapist!? What's a matter, do you guys want to hear some rock and roll, or do you just wanna go home."

*throws rock*

"See ya!"

Yeah, Nickleback aren't really that good in my eyes, they make watered down Post-Grunge shit for the masses (and Post-Grunge stopped being good shortly after Bush released their first album Sixteen Stone shortly after Mr Cobain's death) and that's not really my thing, I'll stick to the real Grunge music thanks.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Snarky said:
It's because they are Canadian, people have an irrational fear of Canadians. They are too quiet and generally don't cause a lot of trouble.
We're kind of like slender man that way. We don't do anything. We're just there- watching you. Always watching.

Nickelback? Eh, they're musically boring. I'll admit, they've had one or two that were enjoyable, but it's just a slew of the same thing with utterly horrendous lyrics.