Why do people like dubstep?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I Have No Idea said:
Plus, I'm kinda getting tired of how some people think they're better because they don't like a certain type of music. Being pretentious doesn't make you look cool.
*hugs* Yes. Yes. So true.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Stealthygamer said:
There are some really good dubsteps like

I have no clue how it became popular but i really don't care
Skrillex is excellent, I agree. However, I don't know enough about the electronic music world to differentiate between electro, substep, D&B etc so I'm not even sure if Skrillex is dubstep, I just know I love him.

OT: The dubstep I've heard at clubs etc is wank so I know that, for the most part, I don't like it but there may be good stuff out there, like Skrillex!

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I love dubstep, I think it's catchy, and sounds cool.

The thing I do hate is the culture surrounding it. The whole 'smoke weed erryday' culture. Makes me feel like I've lost precious IQ points.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
You've probably been hearing 'brostep' like Skrillex. It's the pop-punk/nu-metal of that particular genre.

Also, I got into it while I was high. I have a feeling a lot of people do the same. Try it on something illegal that I cannot advocate taking here.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
When will people realize that "Dubstep" is just Hardtrance or in some embarassing cases just Gothic-Electro?
Want to know why? Because that's soooo 90's.. :/
Not that I care really, I don't listen to it.. I just keep on shuffling!

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I guess it's ok. It's like really slow plodding minimal version of drum and bass. Like drum and bass, I find it loses it's appeal outside of the club experience. I'd still rather listen to electro.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Its never really grown on me, Ill stick to metal thank you very much :D

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Dubstep is really complex. People generally listen to one track and say "I don't like dubstep". I can guarantee if you listen to drum n bass, you'll find some dubstep or drumstep you can really get into.

Since most people here are drug shy they probably won't understand what dubstep is for. I'm not advocating drug use, but there are other genres of music that don't make sense to some people for the same reason. They are to be listened to in a heightened state of mind.

If you want a category of dubstep to enjoy, try chillstep. I highly recommend Blackmill as a good place to start. Blackmill's music is free on youtube to listen. It shows the direction electronic music can take, and is not limited to the club scene.

Sheamus

Mar 28, 2009
I think this sums it up nicely, that said, I kind of enjoy dubstep. definitely not the worst music I've listened to.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
It's the next step in the evolution of stupid people, first the movies that's simply about special effects, explosions and so on, completely free of smart story and whatnot, then, it hit the games, casual motion controls and automatic assist stuff that finishes the game for you, and now it's really hittin the fan in music. Simply a beat, or rythm, something like that, no intelligent writing, meaning or enjoyable melody, only sound more or less.

I'm still wating for these people to evolve into defenceless blobs, then it will be easy to get rid of them. And then finally I will get to see a trailer that isn't full of their "music". Seriously, who decided that the thing Assassins Creed lacks, is dubstep?

Scarynerd

Jul 13, 2010
I love dubstep, but also reggae, hip-hop, metal,dub and jazz because i experiment a lot with music, and i've found those genres the most enjoyable.
Just to make clear, I don't do drugs.
The first time i heard it was in that ridiculous scene in Step Up 3, and i kinda liked it, but didn't know what it was.
I found out in a club when the DJ played a song and a friend told me it was dubstep.
Then i searched for more, and i fell in love...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
the Dept of Science said:
Maybe it's me being a cynical bastard but all I heard was the same beat and lyrics for four minutes. Literally. If that's the best dubstep has to offer then I'd much rather avoid it.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Because like any other genre of music a lot of it is mediocre,
but when it's good it's GOOD.
Like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJNXXuAxkfk
(apparently still dubstep)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
*sigh* ok whats the point of thease threads? just a passive agressive jab at other types of music you dont like

I like dubstep, though somtimes Im unsure what qualifies as dubsteb or not, its a bit hit and miss but some I like, some I dont

and for fuck sake people SUBJECTIVITY learn what it means

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
the Dept of Science said:
Yea, people take drugs to appreciate dubstep.

Noone has ever taken drugs to appreciate a proper genre of music like rock.
Please tell me you don't actually believe that, or am I too hungover to see blatant sarcasm and should take this as a hint I should go back to bed?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
A friend of mine who produces Trance and Progressive linked me to this once

It's probably one of the best dubstep tracks I've heard in a long while. I'm also rather fond of Akira Kiteshi's work also, but I never listen to Dubstep. I'm a purely trance and progressive orientated man, but there are tracks of all genres I'm fond of.

Having said all that, it fucks me off that there Dubstep is being played more at Sensation :/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
People will listen to anything with a pounding beat regardless of quality.

They don't want music, they want something to grind to.