Why do people like Elder Scrolls games?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Arcanum: You can be whatever you wish. The skill set is massive. The crafting is massive, you can even build steam robots if you have the right skills. The history is great. Its steampunk themed, the soundtrack is great, and the game laments on human nature. Your choices have actual weight to them, even something as mundane as giving an interview to a local newspaper.

Geneforge: You are a wizard that creates life, and belong to a cabal of wizards that control the land. Couldn't get far, since my firewall was tossing shit about the game's .exe claiming its an "unknown file" even though its from STEAM.

X: You are in a full-on explorable galaxy with alien species, with full back rounds, and histories. Make your living however you can from running a corporation, being a pirate, soldier,independent contractor, delivery boy, bounty hunter, mercenary, etc. More time consuming than EVE, and twice as addictive. It has a full on economy you can contribute to. If you get a big enough corporation, you can effect prices of items across the galaxy.

The Guild: You are a family in the middle ages or renaissance. You get the choice of what your specialty is from craftsman to politician to criminal mastermind. You're goal is whatever you want. You also have to deal with other families. Its buggy, but fan fixes make it playable.
I don't think I phrased my dare right. I was looking for something similar in scope and concept to the Elder Scrolls. But you answered my challenge and clued me into some good-looking games. Well done and thanks!

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
darkmind35 said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
darkmind35 said:
Nobody is forcing you to play them are they?
YES! I waited for you to start grasping at straws. I DO love this!

"Don't like it don't play it"
"You can't criticize unless you play through the whole game"
"You obviously didn't hate it if you played through the entire game"

Something along those lines, right? And Bethesda's former fans should just stay silent as their series slides to shit? Oh wait,
"It's Bethesda's game, they can do whatever they want with it.
Right?
So are you saying I'm not allowed to enjoy Bethesda games?

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Why do I like Elder Scroll's games? Why do people like penguins? Fuck you that's why. Maybe my love of Elder Scroll's is down to some surpressed childhood issue like the result's of taping a "Come at me bro" sign onto my ass

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"After hating Oblivion because every quest story was boring and uninteresting and the game required 100+ mods to be fun, I decided to give Skyrim a try"

Lol. Well since you asked, I enjoy the Elderscrolls series because of the world design and the gameplay. Elderscrolls never really focused too much on cinematic story telling, and to a degree, I prefer to them to be that way.

The way I saw it, the Elderscrolls games were always more realistic in terms of world design than any other RPG out there, and the point was immersion. The games are more immersive than any other RPG series I have played.

If you play for characters and plot lines, then you're not playing the right game if you play these games.

Go play some Square games or something.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:
Wonder how long it will take for Anthraxus to turn up in this thread..

For me, having only played Skyrim, I love the complete freedom the game offers. See that mountain in the distance? You can climb it. Those ruins? Explore them. That big ass Dragon on the hill? Slay it.

Or if those don't appeal to you, you can turn around and go in a different direction.

Also the atmosphere and art design.
Shhhhhh, don't summon it!

OT: Because people have different opinions, that's the only real way to put it.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Saviordd1 said:
Mr Cwtchy said:

For me, having only played Skyrim, I love the complete freedom the game offers. See that mountain in the distance? You can climb it. Those ruins? Explore them. That big ass Dragon on the hill? Slay it.

Or if those don't appeal to you, you can turn around and go in a different direction.

Nah he got suspended, but I'm sure he's lurking just waiting to jump in here and tell us how wrong we are for liking Skyrim, and also preach to us about the "decline" of RPGS and how none of them are "tactical. Oh and maybe put up that picture of that crap game he keeps advertising around here.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Andrewtheeviscerator said:
Saviordd1 said:
Mr Cwtchy said:

Nah he got suspended, but I'm sure he's lurking just waiting to jump in here and tell us how wrong we are for liking Skyrim, and also preach to us about the "decline" of RPGS and how none of them are "tactical. Oh and maybe put up that picture of that crap game he keeps advertising around here.
*Shudders*
The idea alone makes me uncomfortable.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Oh as my final post in this topic. Why do people find it fun? It's because some, if not most, people don't want to be railroaded by very, VERY linear storyline. It is made even worse if they make it obviously linear in game design as well. FF13 being one of the worst offenders.

EnlightendDead

Mar 25, 2011
I like Oblivion and Morrowind, Skyrim was such a let down, made me want to cry.
Op, people like the games for the freedom, the fun, and the screwing around.
...And the modding, mostly that.

NEMESIS 94

Jun 16, 2011
Well in Morrowind (my favorite elder scrolls) people did care if you became archmage and stuff like that. For example you join One Great House all member of another great house would intermediately dislike you can you could not join the others. The world in Morrowind was much more alive and believable IMO

Zburator

Aug 20, 2012
NEMESIS 94 said:
Well in Morrowind (my favorite elder scrolls) people did care if you became archmage and stuff like that. For example you join One Great House all member of another great house would intermediately dislike you can you could not join the others. The world in Morrowind was much more alive and believable IMO
Yeah, it feels odd that I am the Harbinger of the Companions, Master of the Thieves' Guild, Listener of the Dark Brotherhood, Archmage of the College and Hero of the Stormcloaks, and no one seems to care. I feel like a master cheating husband (or just an unloved one).

My biggest gripe is the illusion of the player having a choice and lack of reactions to what I do. Compared to the previous games and a lot of RPGs, it is extremely railroaded, I can't ever seem to say "No" to a quest, all I can do to refuse them is STAB them. Hell, I could go around, purge all the killable characters from Solitude to Riften (which is a lot more than any damn dragon did) and NO ONE would care.

Sure, the game basically gives me the freedom to stab who the hell I want, but society would refuse to acknowledge that I actually DID anything. The game is a great sandbox, I won't deny that, but it hardly feels like a living world with characters I give a crap about.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Rooster Cogburn said:
Conrad Wentzel said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
People like Elder Scrolls games because of the unequaled freedom, roleplaying opportunities, modding opportunities, and realized world they offer. To my knowledge there is nothing else like it and I double-dog dare anyone to prove me wrong.

EDIT: Don't say Fallout.
Actually Fallout New Vegas, while a crappy sequel to the Fallout franchise compared to 1 and 2 and at least superior to 3, was by far the best Elder Scrolls-like game ever made. The side quests were fun and interesting, story was great, needed about the same amount of mods as Skyrim, and virtually everything in the game you did actually mattered. Ironically a lot of people hated New Vegas. I don't get it.
I only say "Don't say Fallout" because that's Bethesda's other franchise. I liked New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3, which I also liked. I thought New Vegas demonstrated an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of Bethesda titles and made the best of the tools they had. But the best Elder Scrolls-like is Morrowind. =)
hermes200 said:
Someone always says STALKER lol. I kid, STALKER really is a good answer. I think Elder Scrolls gives you a little more to work with, but STALKER is the only thing I know of that tries to do something similar.
New Vegas was what I expected from Skyrim. An open world that accounted for your actions.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Conrad Wentzel said:
New Vegas was what I expected from Skyrim. An open world that accounted for your actions.
I think letting the player shape the world is a good approach and I applaud New Vegas for that, but I don't necessarily think it's essential. I think New Vegas succeeded because the world was interesting and fleshed out. There was more to be gained from exploration than just seeing the pretty sights like in Oblivion.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Exploration, setting, and the ability to go on a fantasy adventure in first-person that's well done and looks great.