Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
It depends entirely upon the purpose of a revolver. They often have better inherent mechanical reliability (stoppages are nearly impossible unless the weapon catastrophically fails) and can be easily built to accept any reasonable (and more than a few completely insane) ammunition. Reliability and durability are key selling points of the revolver but it comes with drawbacks. Normally, a double action revolver has an inordinatly heavy trigger pull which makes accurate shooting when stressed incredibly difficult. While the exact carrying capacity of a revolver varies greatly, it can generally be assumed it will carry fewer rounds than an automatic. They also tend to be incredibly heavy in comparison as each chamber that holds a round must be built to withstand the stresses applied by the firing of said round.

Still, revolvers of all forms are still in use around the world, generally in the hands of police departments and citizens. Reliabilty and durability are important factors, but often magazine capacity and ease of use under stress force one to choose an automatic.

It should be noted that this is the precise reason one does not see the Desert Eagle in common use around the world. The sheer size of the weapon makes it difficult to handle in the best of circumstances and proper timing required to move more than a half-inch of brass out of the weapon between shots makes it unsually prone to stoppage. Worse still, the .50 AE is a novelty round at best and is not in use in any standard issue NATO or even UN weapon. This may not sound like a big deal, but this was a key reason the United States switched from the M1911A1 to the M9 - no other nation fielded a weapon that used the .45 ACP round as a standard issue. Worse still, if one is simply looking for stopping power at any price, there are a number of more reliable and significantly more powerful options available. The round itself is not particuarly adept at bypassing body armor in spite of possessing more than double the KE of a common .45 ACP fired from a comon weapon. In the event the target is not wearing body armor, the .45 ACP is already legendary in it's capacity to stop a man in his tracks and even smaller rounds do the job shockingly well (.40 S&W for example).

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Brawndo said:
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

And yet here is a short list of recent games that include it:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver
I knew that there was a fault in your logic!!

NONE OF THOSE GAMES ARE MILDLY REALISTIC

JBojangles

Feb 13, 2010
There are several reasons. First off, it's iconic; everyone knows and would rather use the Desert Eagle than say a Browning Hipower because they know what the Deagle is. Second, all those games are targeted for Americans; who can't feel big without a big gun. Third, it's the big caliber gun all games are required to have by law or something. Fourth, it's meant to be the anti-boss gun for at least half those games you mentioned.

DSEZ

Aug 8, 2009
i think because desert eagle is probably one of the most recognizable guns on the planet next to the AK-47

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Two words: "Public Domain". Everyone knows what a Desert Eagle looks like. However, I think only real pistol users can tell the difference between two very similar looking sidearms "at a glance".

Generalising here.. however, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference from two Glock models just by looking. I'd probably have to be told which is which.

How about you guys?

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I guess it's the only gun a developer can think of that's different enouph from the default pistol as anything else would just feel like it had a different firing rate and kick back. Or maybe like from it's appearence in left 4 dead 2 and it's absence in the first left 4 dead it's typically the "kick ass" version of a regular weapon category as a small way to win over buyers with it's improved arsenal.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Brawndo said:
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver
Well considering none of the games you list are realistic ... I haven't played a realistic game that has included the Deagle to be honest.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Because it's cool. When firing an M82 would have the same recoil and effectiveness.
But Dan Smith and I both have an attraction to the Python:

Apr 29, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Cynical skeptic said:
Pretty sure its because of Snatch.
"and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... Fuck off."

I love that scene.
It surprises me it took Tony an entire clip to kill Boris. No wonder they called him the bullet dodger.

I think people like the Desert Eagle because they like guns that create big holes in the guys that are shooting at them.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
L4D2 is realistic now? How are these realistic in any way:
- Health meters.
- Using a couple of bandages on yourself brings you back to almost full health.
- You can be brought back to life with a defibrillator despite probably being mauled by a TANK.
- A cricket bat has almost the same power as a katana.
- The special infected (Boomer and Tank especially)
- The freaking zombie apocalypse.

And since when was dual-wielding shotguns more realistic than wielding a Desert Eagle? MW2 is far from realism as well.

OT: The Deagle is just so freaking bad-ass, meant for players who like having a massive amount of power for a single shot. It's so satisfying to knock out 3 common infected in one shot because of bullet-penetration.
We play games to experience things that we normally wouldn't do in our normal life, and if that means getting to use a Deagle, then who are we to complain? You don't have to use it, so don't rage against it.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Mcface said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
you have 6 rounds, i have 9-12, we both miss every shot and reload. my reload takes a second or two, yours takes a second or two per bullet. I win that shootout. or if you have a full loader, or quick loader, its still going to take about twice the time to reload.
If it takes you more than six shots to end a firefight then you either can't aim or you're fighting too many people. Either way you've got much bigger problems.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Brawndo said:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Because Counter-Strike did it first, and everyone wanted to copy them.
Simple really.
I also blame Lara Croft somewhat.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
spartan231490 said:
psivamp said:
spartan231490 said:
Explain to me why people hunt with handguns, i never got it? you get reduced knock down, reduced accuracy, and reduced range. If you want a challenge, why not go with muzzle loader, shotgun, or even archery. I just don't get it.
Ever been charged by a moose? A .357 Magnum is a good thing to have.

OT: The Eagle is mainly an engineering challenge, and it's based on rifle designs. But it's in video games because it is the classic over-the-top, over-compensation handgun. From what I've heard -- from people who've fired them, not just on forums -- they kick like a mule and one guy just stopped using it because it played hell with his wrist.
Yeah, cuz a .357 will work so much better than a remington .300 ultramag.
I'm not the hunter. My aunt and uncle hunt. They won the moose lottery one year and bagged one, I'm not about to argue with their method for bringing down a creature that can weigh over half a ton. The .357 was more of a back-up thing, they both took shots at it when the first shot just pissed it off. I don't know what my uncle uses for a hunting rifle but I'm sure it's adequate.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
CZS PublicEnemy said:
Brawndo said:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

You consider those to be filed under "realistic games" huh?
IE: Games that claim to have a sense of realism to their combat... He could consider Peggle to be the most realistic shooter out there, but it's not claiming to be like these most of these are.

To me, the desert eagle just seems like lazy game design... "Let's have a badass pistol that does a lot of damage.

"How about the Desert Eagle!"

"Okay!!!!"

original -,-;

[guys_its_ok]

Jul 1, 2010
I wanna call a case of unpleasable fanbase [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnpleasableFanbase] on this one. Also, hey guys I'm new.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Because it's an incredibly sexy weapon. It just looks so fucking cool.

Fun over realism, remember.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
psivamp said:
spartan231490 said:
psivamp said:
spartan231490 said:
Explain to me why people hunt with handguns, i never got it? you get reduced knock down, reduced accuracy, and reduced range. If you want a challenge, why not go with muzzle loader, shotgun, or even archery. I just don't get it.
Ever been charged by a moose? A .357 Magnum is a good thing to have.

OT: The Eagle is mainly an engineering challenge, and it's based on rifle designs. But it's in video games because it is the classic over-the-top, over-compensation handgun. From what I've heard -- from people who've fired them, not just on forums -- they kick like a mule and one guy just stopped using it because it played hell with his wrist.
Yeah, cuz a .357 will work so much better than a remington .300 ultramag.
I'm not the hunter. My aunt and uncle hunt. They won the moose lottery one year and bagged one, I'm not about to argue with their method for bringing down a creature that can weigh over half a ton. The .357 was more of a back-up thing, they both took shots at it when the first shot just pissed it off. I don't know what my uncle uses for a hunting rifle but I'm sure it's adequate.
That was meant to be a joke, if i went hunting moose, i would carry a pistol myself. Prolly the desert eagle.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
[guys_its_ok said:
]I wanna call a case of unpleasable fanbase [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnpleasableFanbase] on this one. Also, hey guys I'm new.
So you decided your first post would be to insult the forum by just using a link to TVTropes? That's just lazy and unoriginal.

Also: Welcome to the Escapist! Please enjoy your time here.