Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

Negdaen

Apr 30, 2009
jojoemon said:
Furburt said:
Corum1134 said:
I own a Desert Eagle and I have a slightly above average penis thank you.

The Eagle expensive, heavy, and kicks like a mule. It is however accurate when used by someone who can use it. It is not an ideal weapon for combat but it is a great hunting handgun.
I have been proven wrong. Well, not really, but to really prove me wrong, you'd have to send me pictures, and I'd prefer to be as far away from pictures of other mens genitalia as possible.

I'm wondering though, how is it good for hunting? I mean, it's so heavy and clunky, readying it quickly is next to impossible, and I can't think of a single feature it has that couldn't already be matched by a large caliber revolver.

spartan231490 said:
Explain to me why people hunt with handguns, i never got it? you get reduced knock down, reduced accuracy, and reduced range. If you want a challenge, why not go with muzzle loader, shotgun, or even archery. I just don't get it.
Backup weapon. You need something you can draw quickly if your gun gets knocked out of your hand and you're facing an angry moose.
I guess you're kidding about the moose thing right? 'Cause you have to win a lottery just to get a hunting permit for them. I can't imagine anyone dedicated enough, and lucky enough, to win one being that much of a failure.
And, as for not understanding why people use the desert eagle for hunting, I suspect that it's really just a preference thing. I honestly have never met, or even heard of,a hunter who uses one. I guess it's possible; whatever floats their respective boats.
I know a guy who killed a moose. Trust me, he wasn't hunting it. It was in his backyard eating out of the dumpster. This thing was big enough for the dumpster to be just below head level. It was terrorizing a military base in the area. Pretty much trashing vehicles in the dead of night sort of thing. No one gave him any trouble with he pulled out a high caliber hunting rifle and then turned it's carcass into the base. My point is, you don't have to be hunting the moose for it to be angry at you, at that point it's more like self-defense than hunting.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Brawndo said:
Ok, for the military shooters, it makes little sense. Indeed, in MW1&2, the Deagle actually is pointless if you have Stopping power, since all handguns have that two shot kill at close range with stopping power. However, it makes a little more sense to be in L4D or GTA, since it is about civillians, not the military, and the Deagle is fairly popular just for how cool it looks and how much it is used in movies. Of course GTA loses that arguement since you can just by an assault rifle in any gun store.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Sovvolf said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Mirokunite said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
Reloading, and the amount of bullets they hold for two things...
And everything else on them are great. Which makes them great personal defense weapons.
They are also next to impossible to suppress. You either need to do some very, very, very heavy (possibly illegal) moding or purchase one of the rare types that can be suppressed. Though I think using a suppressor on most guns is illegal out side of the armed forces or the police. Also I doubt you'd ever need it suppressing for what you'd need it for.

Also the much shorter magazine size doesn't help... Though I think most Americans probably buy these things for self-defence and such so they don't need a large clip size for it.

As for the topic at hand. They are probably used for the Rule of Cool... They are cool weapons. They aren't all that good, but the look like beasts and are cool. Those games mentioned though... They aren't really all that realistic. Though even in a few those games mentioned the Desert Eagle isn't all that great. The D.E in COD is next to useless to most people, it's slow and clunky with a pretty short clip. Me and my cousin some times have pistol duals on that game... The H&K USP.45 always comes out on top of the D.E.

I don't thin you can get that gun in any of the Armas or Operation Flashpoints, games that are extremely realistic as far as shooting goes.
Why does suppression matter? Did I not say "self defense" weapon? Besides, suppression isn't that useful anyway. It's really only useful for snipers for making it hard to hear where the shot came from (they can still hear it though).

Mcface said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
you have 6 rounds, i have 9-12, we both miss every shot and reload. my reload takes a second or two, yours takes a second or two per bullet. I win that shootout. or if you have a full loader, or quick loader, its still going to take about twice the time to reload.
If I'm using a revolver in a shootout, I'm close. I'll probably hit you. And you can tell me why your gun jammed and how it's unfair that mine didn't.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Look at the thing. It screams power. It sounds awesome, looks awesome, and feels powerful. It's a pretty big gun. Usually, big gun = more bad ass.

I like the M1911 better, but the Desert Eagle is pure bad ass.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
screw the desert eagle!!! I'll take a lower powered revolver or a low caliber pistol like a glock or a beretta over that thing all day every day no problem. Like everyones been saying its so damn unwieldly and overpowered, not to mention totally impractical. If ever own one a handgun its gonna be so I can have one on me for self defense purposes and it won't be that monstrosity.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Why does suppression matter? Did I not say "self defense" weapon? Besides, suppression isn't that useful anyway. It's really only useful for snipers for making it hard to hear where the shot came from (they can still hear it though).
I was talking about advantages and disadvantages in general. I even stated in my post that it doesn't mater if it's being used for self defence.

Though I admit I was a big vague on the hinting towards self defence with what I said.

Sovvolf said:
Also I doubt you'd ever need it suppressing for what you'd need it for.
What you'd need it for = Self Defence to which... No real point in a suppressor anyway. Also I know a suppressors aren't as useful as they are shown in Hollywood. They are mostly used to stop people from going death in long gun fights or used to hide mussel flash in sniper rifles. Supression doesn't all that much matter but we were talking about advantages and disadvantages and that's one of them. Not a big one but hypothetically if you ever did (for some reason) want to suppress your revolver... Your going to have a real hard time doing it.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Sovvolf said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Mirokunite said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Amnestic said:

Reloading, and the amount of bullets they hold for two things...
And everything else on them are great. Which makes them great personal defense weapons.
They are also next to impossible to suppress. You either need to do some very, very, very heavy (possibly illegal) moding or purchase one of the rare types that can be suppressed. Though I think using a suppressor on most guns is illegal out side of the armed forces or the police. Also I doubt you'd ever need it suppressing for what you'd need it for.

Also the much shorter magazine size doesn't help... Though I think most Americans probably buy these things for self-defence and such so they don't need a large clip size for it.

As for the topic at hand. They are probably used for the Rule of Cool... They are cool weapons. They aren't all that good, but the look like beasts and are cool. Those games mentioned though... They aren't really all that realistic. Though even in a few those games mentioned the Desert Eagle isn't all that great. The D.E in COD is next to useless to most people, it's slow and clunky with a pretty short clip. Me and my cousin some times have pistol duals on that game... The H&K USP.45 always comes out on top of the D.E.

I don't thin you can get that gun in any of the Armas or Operation Flashpoints, games that are extremely realistic as far as shooting goes.

Mcface said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Amnestic said:

you have 6 rounds, i have 9-12, we both miss every shot and reload. my reload takes a second or two, yours takes a second or two per bullet. I win that shootout. or if you have a full loader, or quick loader, its still going to take about twice the time to reload.
If I'm using a revolver in a shootout, I'm close. I'll probably hit you. And you can tell me why your gun jammed and how it's unfair that mine didn't.
Chances are we're going to be at least 10+ meters away, unless we are somehow put into an action movie. My M9 has have never jammed once. People who don't know weapons assume "Because guns jam in movies, they must always jam!" Guns jam when you don't know how to take care of them.

Or perhaps I'll use a 30 round glock 18, fully automatic or 3 round burst? fire off 10 rounds in the time you fire one :p

sdafdfhrye3245

Sep 30, 2008
Amnestic said:

You keep your revolvers I will take my shotgun and leave.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Mcface said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Chances are we're going to be at least 10+ meters away, unless we are somehow put into an action movie. My M9 has have never jammed once. People who don't know weapons assume "Because guns jam in movies, they must always jam!" Guns jam when you don't know how to take care of them.
True enough, with proper maintenance, it probably won't jam. But hopefully I can at least get away after firing 6 shots. I'd rather have a revolver than a semi auto pistol any day.
Sovvolf said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I was talking about advantages and disadvantages in general. I even stated in my post that it doesn't mater if it's being used for self defence.

Though I admit I was a big vague on the hinting towards self defence with what I said.

Sovvolf said:
Also I doubt you'd ever need it suppressing for what you'd need it for.
What you'd need it for = Self Defence to which... No real point in a suppressor anyway. Also I know a suppressors aren't as useful as they are shown in Hollywood. They are mostly used to stop people from going death in long gun fights or used to hide mussel flash in sniper rifles. Supression doen't all that much matter but we were talking about advantages and disadvantages and that's one of them. Not a big one but if you ever did (for some reason) want to suppress your revolver... Your going to have a real hard to doing it.
Suppression still isn't that much of a plus. Actually, it's not a plus at all. There's no reason to have a suppressor on anything besides a sniper rifle. It's not an advantage to have a suppressed pistol.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
I believe it was also in Uncharted 2 as well, but I've never used a Desert Eagle so I wouldn't know.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Suppression still isn't that much of a plus. Actually, it's not a plus at all. There's no reason to have a suppressor on anything besides a sniper rifle. It's not an advantage to have a suppressed pistol.
Not for general use or for self defence there isn't. However they are mostly used for long gun fights or raids. Mainly so the users don't go death from the noise. That's why they design them for pistols as well as rifles. They don't just make them because they look cool.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Sovvolf said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Not for general use or for self defence there isn't. However they are mostly used for long gun fights or raids. Mainly so the users don't go death from the noise. That's why they design them for pistols as well as rifles. They don't just make them because they look cool.
I was under the impression that soldiers had hearing protection since their opponents don't necessarily use suppressors. Especially not on their explosives.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Simriel said:
Prob because it is the most cheapest, most cloned, most available and most produced assault rifle in the world. Also give me a .45 M1911 over a D.Eagle anyday.
Well said on the Kalashnikov. They are reliable, powerful, and abundant. Also, for what it's worth, a m1911 is hands down the sexiest handgun in the world. Hands. Down.

O.T I've been arguing against the Deagle since it first came onto my radar with the first CS. It's all been said in this thread already so I won't throw my opinion on the pile. As a side note, these complaints have been leveled by me against the Barrett .50 Cal and the minigun. Both are highly overrepresented in videogames, and neither are practical anti-personel weapons.