Why do you hate Gamestop?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I don't, the employees have always been helpful and nice. Also the ones in my city are cheap, if I'm traveling and stop into one the prices are always $5-$10 more. Besides Gamestop is the only place to get games I like new, places like walmart and bestbuy only seem to carry AAA games.

I also have an aversion to shopping online since I never know what their used is and then I have to wait for it in the mail.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I used to not care about them, like all. I mean sure I heard the employee horror stories but their really high prices were more then enough to keep me away, although I did get some amusement seeing how their tiny discount for a used game was easily more expensive then brand new copies out there.

What did set to the "hate" category(although it's more of a grudge) is this little story from earlier this year

Tiamattt said:
Last x-mas a friend got me 2 games from them along with gift receipts just in case I didn't like them and wanted to trade them in for something else. While I appreciated the gifts I was in the market for a 3ds and wanted to trade the games in for a discount. The receipts had a date I can trade them in for as long as they weren't open, which was like a month after x-mas. But when I tried I got some BS about how "oh you can only do that a week after it was purchased" despite nothing of the sort being written on the receipt. So I asked what could they do for me and they said I had to go home, open them and then come back another day so they can pay me used game prices for them, which btw was nothing compared to selling them on ebay.

The moral of the story is do NOT get gift receipts for your friends at gamestop, they're literally worthless pieces of paper.
So that set me from ignoring to hating plus happy to encourage friends/family to shop elsewhere.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I don't hate them. I actually enjoy going to their stores.

That being said, if I wanted an older game, like PS1 to PS2 old, I'll usually head over to another store, like Dimple Records. Which is a store that is pretty close to my house.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Tiamattt said:
I used to not care about them, like all. I mean sure I heard the employee horror stories but their really high prices were more then enough to keep me away, although I did get some amusement seeing how their tiny discount for a used game was easily more expensive then brand new copies out there.

What did set to the "hate" category(although it's more of a grudge) is this little story from earlier this year

Tiamattt said:
Last x-mas a friend got me 2 games from them along with gift receipts just in case I didn't like them and wanted to trade them in for something else. While I appreciated the gifts I was in the market for a 3ds and wanted to trade the games in for a discount. The receipts had a date I can trade them in for as long as they weren't open, which was like a month after x-mas. But when I tried I got some BS about how "oh you can only do that a week after it was purchased" despite nothing of the sort being written on the receipt. So I asked what could they do for me and they said I had to go home, open them and then come back another day so they can pay me used game prices for them, which btw was nothing compared to selling them on ebay.

The moral of the story is do NOT get gift receipts for your friends at gamestop, they're literally worthless pieces of paper.
So that set me from ignoring to hating plus happy to encourage friends/family to shop elsewhere.
Never had that happen, the ones around here are willing to take exchanges without a receipt around the holidays.

MyOpinionIsBetter

Aug 2, 2012
The problem I have with Gamestop is that they always claim to have "great deals!" when Steam has far superior deals that are more frequently given out. I also find their "friendlyness" of their staff to feel fake, like they're just acting nice to get my sales, which annoys me. But the biggest problem I have with them is trading in a game in perfect condition which cost me 40 dollars and only getting 5 dollars back.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
I've personally never had any problems with my local Gamestop. They never push anything on you and they're always helpful. I've actually become pretty good friends with the guys up there. Occasionally when I go to buy a game, we'll end up stand there for a good hour just talking about games and other stuff. I've actually had them stop me and warn me about certain games just flat out sucking, or about bugs and other problems.

FelixG said:
1- Pushing buying used, go fuck yourself, no I dont want you to go get me a used copy off the shelf, I want to support the people who makes the games you stupid fucktard
I've actually had the exact opposite experience of this. I'm usually asked if I wanted a new copy.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
The problem I have with Gamestop is that they always claim to have "great deals!" when Steam has far superior deals that are more frequently given out.
I assume you're only talking about Digital PC games? I never really saw Gamestop as much of a big "PC player" store.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I never had a problem with them. I just stopped buying from them because I can get stuff of of Amazon for wayyy cheaper. Plus they don't sell games for pc and I prefer playing on my pc.

MyOpinionIsBetter

Aug 2, 2012
cjspyres said:
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
The problem I have with Gamestop is that they always claim to have "great deals!" when Steam has far superior deals that are more frequently given out.
I assume you're only talking about Digital PC games? I never really saw Gamestop as much of a big "PC player" store.
I'm talking about their deals in general. They are always telling me they have these fantastic deals (for consoles and PC's) spamming my email and such, and I'm mentioning that Steam has better deals which are given out more frequently making Gamestop look lame in terms of their "great" deals.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
cjspyres said:
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
I'm talking about their deals in general. They are always telling me they have these fantastic deals (for consoles and PC's) spamming my email and such, and I'm mentioning that Steam has better deals which are given out more frequently making Gamestop look lame in terms of their "great" deals.
Yeah, but considering Steam is PC only, you can only apply that logic to PC gaming. And like I said before, Gamestop isn't really in the PC gaming ring.

MyOpinionIsBetter

Aug 2, 2012
cjspyres said:
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
cjspyres said:
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
Yeah, but considering Steam is PC only, you can only apply that logic to PC gaming. And like I said before, Gamestop isn't really in the PC gaming ring.
Okay, you've made your point. The thing is I'm primarily a PC gamer so I assume everyone else is for some reason. Sorry hahaha.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hawkolf said:
I've never had any problems in Gamestop I go to. Used games are usually as good as new. I don't think they even accept broken cases there. Only problem I ever had was that copy of used Assassins Creed didn't work but they gave me a new one in a flash.
Every Gamestop I've been to in the state and the three nearest states sells crappy condition games and will accept them with broken or no case. While I only rarely experience the Gamestop Hustle (assholes who push pre-orders and stuff to the point of harassment), it exists. I used to shop at these places all the time, but crappy service and crappy games are kind of a turnoff. Especially if you have to travel to return a game.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I don't hate Gamestop, but my least favorite thing about them would be their in store ads. Then again from what I can tell the one I go to is an extremely good one compared to most others.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
cjspyres said:
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
cjspyres said:
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
Okay, you've made your point. The thing is I'm primarily a PC gamer so I assume everyone else is for some reason. Sorry hahaha.
Hahaha, It's fine, I understand. I play both, maybe PC just a little bit more.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MyOpinionIsBetter said:
The Gamestops I frequent tend to have little in the way pof PC games anyway, so I'm pretty sure it's only a token effort to appeal to PC gamers. Much like their gaming selection. My local one has more space dedicated to GBA titles than to PC titles.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
This is relevant and funny

I don't go in there much anymore, so the only thing that bugs me besides the preorder harassment they have to go through is that the manager of my Gamestop looked at me like I just spit on his mothers grave when I bought Steam cash and absolutely nothing else.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
It's better than going to Wal-Mart for games...

Honestly, I've never had a poor experience there. It's just another store to me.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Savo said:
-Games are overpriced. I can get better deals at Amazon, plus a better selection.

-Used games tend to be in mediocre condition, such as having no case. This is a big no-no for someone who has a small interest in collecting like me.

-Employees act like douchebags. I have several Gamestops in my area that I have been to over the years, and I can't think of a Gamestop employee who didn't act like a pushy pre-order whoring jerk. I am told that this isn't completely their fault, as the company makes them do it, but it still makes me hate them.
I agree with the first and second, as thats where I preorder and purchase all my games from[footnote]If not baught directly from the store.[/footnote].

For the thrid, thats hit-or-miss for me. Ive been to stores like that, and Ive been to stores that were not like that. Thankfully, there are three gamestops near me, and one of them is never like this.