Why do you hate Skyrim?

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
lotr rocks 0 said:
I HATE this... Because as a mage with only 130 base HP, I often get execution finishes done against me AT 2/3 HP or HIGHER...
I once had a Drauger deathlord do a finisher on me at full health when I was playing a thief.

Probably shouldn't have put all my points into Stamina.

Silver PBall

Feb 22, 2011
The hype has really dulled my interest in the game. I like the game, but its biggest improvements seem to be cosmetic. It looks great. It sounds great. It plays so much like their other games. Everyone brings bugs/glitches into the discussion, but they're prevalent. There's still enemies teleporting through the ground and falling out of the sky. There's quests that rely on you to interact with NPCs that you can't interact with.

I'm not expecting games to be perfect. Every game has something(Although I have heard nothing notable in Red Faction: Armageddon, as an example. Or Castle Crashers. Anecdotal evidence.) but the bugs in Bethesda's games in general have a habit of never fixing their games' flaws and instead saying "Well look at our NEW GAME!"

I don't hate Skyrim, I'm just feeling large amounts of buyer's remorse for supporting Bethesda for the games that I have.

Flying6LeggedWhale

Nov 19, 2010
What I played was pretty "meh". Gameplay wasn't really improved too much, and the people just sorda fall down when they die, it isn't very satisfying to say the least. Also the menus, what the fuck is up with the menus? The land didn't seem too interesting, but I didn't travel too far as I lost interest. Those are my complaints for now, gonna have to try and play it again at a later date.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I love it, but I can contribute this at the least: I hate being Dragonborn.

I know that all of the Elder Scrolls games have a hero who does extraordinary things and goes down in history, but being Dragonborn just seems so unimportant. I originally made a sneaky-stabby Khajiit who eventually became a Nightingale and I had no reason to want to be Dragonborn at that point.

Although, it is fun if you take it to the next level as the ultimate Nordic dragonslayer and devote yourself to the Way of the Voice and finding all of the Shouts.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Flying6LeggedWhale said:
and the people just sorda fall down when they die, it isn't very satisfying to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NULvgYugqLA

Yeah a guy being impaled on your sword or slitting someone's throat after sneaking up on them for a half hour isn't satisfying at all.

Hell when I found out you could behead people I immediately took that perk and saw it was immensely satisfying.

MorsePacific said:
I love it, but I can contribute this at the least: I hate being Dragonborn.

I know that all of the Elder Scrolls games have a hero who does extraordinary things and goes down in history, but being Dragonborn just seems so unimportant. I originally made a sneaky-stabby Khajiit who eventually became a Nightingale and I had no reason to want to be Dragonborn at that point.

Although, it is fun if you take it to the next level as the ultimate Nordic dragonslayer and devote yourself to the Way of the Voice and finding all of the Shouts.
I disagree in that I liked some of the more useful noncombat shouts on enemies.

I played an Imperial Thief for a while and one thing I liked to do was just fuck with the enemies using shouts. Like using disarm while sneaking behind them, or slow time and backstabbing a large amount of enemies in only a few seconds.

Not all the shouts directly attacked enemies, some of them did infact greatly increase your odds of surviving.

Plus, and this is the most important. Bethesda specifically coded the game so that if the player didn't start the main quest, the only Dragon they would see would be at the beginning of the game at Helgen. No randomly spawning Dragons on the overworld unless you killed the second one at the guard tower. So the player could go through the entire game and reach the level cap, and never find out he was the Dragonborn at all.

Flying6LeggedWhale

Nov 19, 2010
I didn't play far enough, but the finishers were alright. I was mainly talking about the actual swordplay, it just felt dull, even more so than Oblivion's. Also, are finishers random or based upon a skill?

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Flying6LeggedWhale said:
I didn't play far enough, but the finishers were alright. I was mainly talking about the actual swordplay, it just felt dull, even more so than Oblivion's. Also, are finishers random or based upon a skill?
Finishers were mostly random. It was dependant on what health the enemy was at and how much damage you were doing.

If the enemy was at say 1/4th health and you attacked them probably 10% of the time you'd do a finisher. It's more of a novelty then anything else really and only just kills the enemy quicker. The perk that lets you behead enemies only adds on an extra 25% damage to your deathblow.

Now stealth kills wasn't random. If the player was stealthed and they killed an enemy it always showed you slitting their throat. Even if you attacked them and didn't kill them, but didn't break stealth. If you attacked them again and killed them you'd still do a finisher.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
LordRoyal said:
AyreonMaiden said:
3) ...Skyrim is nowhere near as interesting as Vvardenfell. I've never been that big on viking shit
I feel this arguement is more a personal taste thing then anything else but anyway this ties into your point.

Vvardenfell was largely an ash covered wasteland that had some greenery in terms of swamps or it's plains, but for the most part it was a brown mess. I for one liked it but most didn't, and when Oblivion came around everyone jumped to it's HDR graphics.

When they started to make Skyrim and bring back Morrowind fans, they started to make the landscape more stylized, but as a way to keep it varied and not to lose Oblivion fans they left the fantasy forests toward the middle of the province. Especially around Whiterun.

I agree with your statement the dungeons only seem like they're there just for a quest, and frankly I think Bethesda coded them all that way since they figured most Oblivion players would just find a quest, fast travel to a dungeon and complete it, lacking any exploration at all.
I'm only about 17 hours into Skyrim, and all this stuff is very much a matter of personal taste. I definitely wanted to make sure I typed that these were "things I disliked" as opposed to "flaws."

It's really a damn shame about the dungeons. I really liked in Morrowind how not everything was this sprawling cave with a purpose. Some places were just tombs of Dunmer family lines, no more than 5 or 6 rooms long. You go in and you see what was buried with the dead, for no reason other than to loot the urns and offerings or maybe learn what they believed in. Others were just sorta bandit and slaver dens. You go in to loot them for yourself or to free the slaves or whatever, but there was no EPIC THU'UM waiting for you, nor some doohickey to fetch for someone else. Curiosity led you in and you walk away a bit richer and that was that.

Skyrim's dungeons are handcrafted once again and that's great, but now why even bother? They're so long, all of them. And they all have ties to a mission, so why pretend I have wanderlust? That's a serious personal gripe I have. For a game that supposedly lets me "live another life," it sure nudges me in the direction of "everyone else's ***** boy."

However, I totally agree with you that Skyrim is geographically more interesting than Vvardenfell ever was. It's so much more colorful.

As for the atmosphere of the culture, another personal taste matter. The tribal/modern quality of Vvardenfell was just so fresh. I don't even know everything about the world but at a glance it's so much more interesting: Political parties more akin to mafia families, racism, slavery, cults, immortals who live among the people...even the names of everything were so alien.

Skyrim so far seems to be far more pedestrian. Dead High Kings, a civil war, regional Jarls, horns on helmets...and a whole lot of kicking wolves in the face. To me it's like Tolkien compared to a power metal song about Tolkien.

None of this is gamebreaking at all though. I still adore Skyrim like I did Oblivion in spite of everything and will return to it after Skyward Sword and Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Richardplex said:
Every day my hope that people will stop throwing the word hate around so lightly grows less and less...

OT: I was initially unhappy with Skyrim because of Spell-blades. The Dual-wield system always shows off the ability to use a sword and spell, but that combination is a road full of tears, frustration and inadequacy, as so much is either locked out or hampered, with nothing gained in return. Then I went for a non hybrid, and enjoyed the game.
Really? What kind of issues have you been having? I was a mix of one handed and spell casting and while I'll admit I eventually started leaning more towards conjuration magic and archery. I still am rocking a sword and spell 90% of the time. I don't have any issues on Expert at lvl. 46.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
I hated Oblivion if that counts and I haven't even played Morrowind so it's not fanrage. The big beautiful open world just isn't enough to compensate for the complete lack of life, the retarded NPCs and the shocking voice acting. Skyrim doesn't sound that much better, I've heard the NPCs are all still horribly wooden and I've heard countless silly story about how the world reacts in various situations. Killing a chicken is murder?

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
crazyarms33 said:
I cannot stand Ice Trolls/Bears. It seems to me that if I am a character fully capable of killing dragons with relative ease, I damned well ought to be able to kill a bear and not feel elated by it.
Speed is the problem. I've not dealt with many trolls yet, I steer clear. Though I did just find the usefulness of the "Steady Hand"(slow time) archery perk last night while facing a bear. I suppose it may not help if you don't have archery leveled very high. Zoom in, shoot, immediately exit zoom(to save stamina), draw, zoom, shoot, ect. I'm admittedly not very quick or accurate with my aim but I was still able to put a good four to five arrows in that bugger before it got any where near me, and it actually turned and started running from me! Ha!

LordRoyal said:
Flying6LeggedWhale said:
and the people just sorda fall down when they die, it isn't very satisfying to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NULvgYugqLA

Yeah a guy being impaled on your sword or slitting someone's throat after sneaking up on them for a half hour isn't satisfying at all.

Hell when I found out you could behead people I immediately took that perk and saw it was immensely satisfying.
Playing with mostly sneak and archery I always love putting an arrow in someone's ear without anyone knowing I was even there. They also tend to fall/fly back after the hit rather than just fall, though that depends... I put an arrow in a guy sitting at a grind wheel and he just slumped forward a bit.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Not exactly hating Elder Scrolls V, but I'm tired of all this propaganda from its crazed fans. 10% or more of the posts in the Dark Souls forums, where I frequented for a month, were like how great Skyrim is going to be and that Dark Souls will eat dust, and things like that. I know it's wrong and silly to be biased towards a game for a silly reason like that, but that's how usually take things in my life: Whenever someone tries to brainwash me for something I react negatively.
I hope to play it some time in the future and have an opinion of my own.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Much appreciated! I tend to not use archery as I went that route in Oblivion. I constantly ask myself why I didn't do it again in Skyrim...

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Richardplex said:
Every day my hope that people will stop throwing the word hate around so lightly grows less and less...

OT: I was initially unhappy with Skyrim because of Spell-blades. The Dual-wield system always shows off the ability to use a sword and spell, but that combination is a road full of tears, frustration and inadequacy, as so much is either locked out or hampered, with nothing gained in return. Then I went for a non hybrid, and enjoyed the game.
Really? What kind of issues have you been having? I was a mix of one handed and spell casting and while I'll admit I eventually started leaning more towards conjuration magic and archery. I still am rocking a sword and spell 90% of the time. I don't have any issues on Expert at lvl. 46.
You can't block. You can't use both hands at the same time, unlike all other combinations. Therefore, both your ranged and melee capacity, not only gets automatically halved from only being able to use one at a time, but loses benefits like the increased attack speed for DW'ing swords or dual-casting bonus. Unless you DW magic until they get in range, then switch to DW swords, in which case the combat goes to being clunky, and a bit unneeded, when you should probably just focus on one. I thought maybe restoration wards would of solved some issues, but, well, they're fairly useless. I admit I hadn't used conjuration, but that is for the exactly the same reason I don't use companions; I don't like pets doing passive damage for me.

Compared to the Sword and Board tactics, DW swords or daggers, or dual-wielding magic (excluding scaling issues) the sword and magic is just so unsynchronised it's not fun and painful to use. Or compared to bows if you aren't man/woman enough to sneak into melee range.

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
I wouldn't say I hate Skyrim, I didn't find Oblivion all that entertaining and so I was put off (that and the hordes of screaming fanboys). When push comes to shove, I will probably end up buying it at a reduced price to see what all the fuss is about but I have other games that I'd prefer to get before then. I'd say the hate comes from (yes, you guessed it) those who are just peeved off at the fanboys, just as others are peeved by every fanboy known to mankind. There's nothing that can kill a game faster than a few hundred of the faceless mob constantly going on about it. It's one thing to discuss a game, another to shout its name repeatedly until your voicebox goes to mush and you cough blood between shouts and breaths

Supertask

Oct 23, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
jhon216 said:
It seems to me that the same people who hated Oblivion because it wasn't more like Morrowind, are now hating Skyrim because it isn't more like Oblivion.
Nah, this is a new breed. Morrowind fans who hated Oblivion (me included) are loving Skyrim, but Oblivion fans are not liking Skyrim. Same thing happened with Daggerfall to Morrowind.
I heard this line of reasoning before on Youtube, though I don't understand it. Granted I've only just started playing Morrowind (and Arena, Oblivion got me into the series and I wanted to see what it was like before). But I don't see what significant thing Morrowind and Skyrim have in common that Oblivion doesn't have, in most ways Skyrim seems to have gone further down the Oblivion route and further away from Morrowind. Combat has become even faster and more active (no return of roll based dodging), weapons and armour categories have been reduced again, fast travel remains, the compass and journal remains. I love them all, though I was initially put off by Morrowind's combat (I think combat has jumped forward massively each generation from Morrowind) Morrowind is very engrossing. Once I feel I've fully exhausted Skyrim, I'll definetly turn my attention to Morrowind (it is awesome you can use spears, I wish they'd bring that back).

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
kortin said:
JonnyHG said:
I hate the fact that if you sell you Thieves Guild Armor (like I did), you lose a fence and the ability to finish a Thieves Guild quest line.
Why would you sell your armor...? And why didn't you buy it back?

Nothing, I hate nothing about Skyrim. I no complaints about the game.
I sold my armor because I didn't need it. The apparel I was wearing was exponentially better. When I discovered I needed it, I went back to the shop I sold it to and it was not there anymore.

Switchblade 327

Nov 25, 2011
JET1971 said:
I hate the world map not the way that its a picture where you can see that 1 area is all snow and another is green but the way you are looking at it at an angle instead of top down. the major roads are not marked down on it. the zoom in and out sucks, you cant zoom out to see the whole thing and you cant zoom in enough.
There's a mod for that.

JET1971 said:
The inventory controls on the PC are horrid, some of it you can use a mouse to select and others its keyboard only. they have the choices marked on the bottom tab to exit, E to equip or take, R to take all or give but clicking them does nothing. its not hard to make those a button, just lazy not to. clicking an item sometimes equips, sometimes gives or takes then some items you can only use keyboard on, consistency is something that is severly lacking. theres a whole lot more about it that annoys me, suffice it to say i dont like it.
I agree. I own both the PC and Xbox versions (I'm a PC guy at heart, but I bought it for Xbox as I don't currently have the RAM to run it as cleanly as I'd like on ultra-detail) and I find that, though the Xbox interface is brilliantly intuitive (once you get used to how it works), the PC interface is horrid. Sometimes I can navigate menus with the keyboard alone, sometimes my mouse can do everything, and other times, I have to navigate to select an option with my keyboard, AND THEN FUCKING CLICK IT WITH MY BLOODY MOUSE. JUST WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!

JET1971 said:
Im not sure if i completly dislike the level up system, I do like the simplicity of it but I think its over simplified. the first things you choose to upgrade magic, health, or stamina would be better off being a stat only that upgrades the more you use it. using a lighter weapon like a dagger or one hand sword, plus magic and stamina/magic upgrades slower but more even. use magic 2 handed and magic upgrades but stamina does nothing. use meelee weapons and no magic and magic does nothing but stamina rises. having it as a choice on where to put a point doesnt make much sense when the more you do an action the more it increases would make more. i like the perk system though. the whole level up system to keep it simple but an improvement I think would be to have the major atributes upgrade automaticly and have 2 choices in the perk system. 1 you choose a perk like it is and the other choose a perk tree to "study" where the skills will level maybe 5 levels the next time you do it.
I actually like the level up system, just because it doesn't use Oblivion's scaled leveling (you should never be able to beat an epic 500+ hour RPG on level-fucking-one), yet many areas of the game will be scaled to provide a very nice challenge (which, when too great, can be brought under control with a temporary shift in difficulty until you leave the Sightless-fucking-Pit and gain the strength to conquer it fairly, although at this point that serves little purpose).

JET1971 said:
I think the amount of enchantment choices for armor and weapons was a major step backwards and way too limited. plus the armor setups suck, helmets, armor, gloves, shoes, 1 ring and a necklace. i think they should have stayed with the older more choices system of earlier titles instead of having less to choose from. thats another thing i find annoying...
I loved Morrowind's armor system, but yeah, I think that the "one ring" thing is bullshit (oh, hey, an unintentional Lord of the Rings reference...), but I've played worse, so whatever.

I have several small gripes, some regarding glitches, others regarding little gameplay flaws I've noticed that, while not game-breaking, are annoying, but the overall impression that I get from the game is one that will likely keep me entertained for a long time.

arbitterm

Mar 31, 2010
I hate the Mages guild quest line. In Oblivion it was a vicious war with the Necromancers. The Bruma guild is forever destroyed, the island where you make your staff, you really feel like the guild is under attack. In Skyrim, The Eye of Magnos is never explained, we never know what that guy is doing to it, only that it's dangerous. After you kill him and become arch-mage I was expecting a whole other half where you have to deal with the threat caused by tampering with the eye. But some mystery monks you know little about just show up and take it. Threat gone, move along please. And it seems that the arch-mage has only one job at the college: fetch supplies. And that the fast travel to the college drops you at the far end of the bridge, I just avoid Winterhold.