Why does Rape exist?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Zannah said:
Rem45 said:
Also, it really pisses me off when people joke about it. So many people are raped, I know two people, as yet others think its okay to just use it as a joke.
A thousand times this. It's just not funny people :/
Well neither is murder, but people joke about it constantly, make %80 of movies and games about it while others ache to play that.
And to some it is their daily job, plus they are praised as heroes for doing it...

It is a strange world we live in

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Rape is a crime of dominance.

For the most part, it has nothing to do with sex.

I'm surprised so many Escapist don't know that.
Well the act itself is mostly about dominance, but what leads up to it is sexual repression, not something people should ignore.
There are alot of ways to dominate people, mentally and physically, rape is just one of many.

Let's say a husband isn't getting any and keeps trying to get in his wife's pants, she keeps denying and so it goes on until things escalate beyond reasoning and he just decides to flip the domination physically (date rapes going about the same way).
Motive for the crime just cannot be ignored here, would those men not have sexual desires such rape would probably be extinct.

Not in any way suggesting women are responsible for sexual repression, people simply need to deal with their desires for them not escalate to such crimes, and others must understand the issues that need resolving (there is no shortage of judgment and dirty looks if your GF finds the spicy movies stash)

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Rape is usually to do with power, well one would assume that from the majority of the shown posts..

Also rape is a fairly new thing in Humans, not that it didn't happen but for most of our race's history women or even men, haven't had much of a say in if they want sex or not. The Romans and Greeks had sex slaves who were technically raped and women up until recently (maybe several hundred years) were seen as ways to make babies and wouldn't refuse her partner, or would and would be beaten down..

So rape can and most likely to is to do with power and dominance but also it stems from the fact that the human race was not so civilized only a few thousand years ago..

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
It all comes down to mental issues. Maybe the person wasn't raise right.

Maybe they were sexualy assualted when they were a kid and now take it out on others.

There's plenty of causes for it, just like murder.

Some people don't see anything wrong in doing it, because their mind percieves it differently then ours.

Droa

Aug 1, 2009
You can say all the things you want bout the human mind lacking willpower, or going on bout dominance issues, though remember its very rare that you will find female on male rape, its their but humans are more likely to do it than youd think.

However in nature force/rape is pretty much the way of life for many species, every creature wants to pass on its genetics, you can cry an scream all you want bout the world would be a better place without one thing or another but they are all their due to nature needing them or engineering them in some way. Not saying its not a horrid thing in human life but when you look at the bigger picture I don't think as many humans would be around right now without it in the past (look at Mongolian genetics and see who they are most likely connected too :p)

So it exists because creatures need to pass on their genetics, as basic as that.

my 2 cents

norwegian-guy

Jan 17, 2011
Sexual frustration is a way someone pushes themself to do it. Others have a sick need for being dominant.
In the end all rapist are messed up in the head.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'd still maintain rape happens both because of a need to show dominance and a simple case of wanting sex more than wanting to show any care or respect to the victim. I don't think there's one kind of rape.

As for 'rape' jokes, jokes where the victim or butt of the joke are the rape victim, that's VERY hard to make funny, however, there's enough ways to create witty wordplay, or the use of the pull back and reveal, etc, where the word or concept of rape is involved, where it's entirely acceptable (imo) to find the line funny.

I'd gladly not hear the kind of hateful 'jokes' which just glorify in a victim's misery, however, a blanket 'no jokes about rape' would be a bad thing.

It's like I'm on Alan Moore's side about images of naked children can have artistic merit, and Rowan Atkinson's side about joking about religious beliefs should be protected.

Just because there's a bad part to something, the whole concept doesn't need a ban.

I think it'll really help if in the future we manage to equalise the idea of sexuality of men and women, as women are still made to feel bad if they enjoy sex with more than one partner, whereas men are seen almost as heroes for plowing thru dozens of partners.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Well, you have something I want, if I decide the risk involved with taking it is worth the reward, why shouldn't I?

That's about as simple as it gets, really. All you need to do to see we haven't evolved past even the most basic urges and concepts is look out a window.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
The general theory is the rape is a violent crime, rather than a sexual one, which usually involves a rapist asserting dominance, control and power over their victim.

As for reasons why rape happens, the contributing factors range from wider social issues (including attitudes towards sexism, unemployment etc) down to more personal issues (ie. abuser has also been abused, raised in violent home, drink/drugs etc.).

Personally, while I think a lot of this is true, I also think there's obviously some point at which beat-down violence becomes a rape, and it would be extremely fascinating to see the results of a study into it.
I believe that a lot of the emphasis on the "violence" over the "sexual" is in part due to the fact that this offers the best results for rape victims to move into a stage of recovery and regain control of their lives.

Unfortunately, when studies are carried out into rape, it's generally into specifics of treating Rape Trauma Syndrome, rather than looking into the rapists themselves

boradis

Nov 18, 2009
Despite the common prevailing belief that "rape is about violence/power rather than sex," I disagree with that entirely. Violence, power and sex are far from mutually exclusive.

But that's a philosophical argument. In more concrete terms, forced mating is just one more reproductive strategy for many species. The sexuality of ducks (yes, cute quacking ducks) is particularly disturbing. Many species of duck are involved in a genital arms races between the sexes. As female ducks evolve deeper and more complicated vaginal channels to avoid being forcibly impregnated by unwanted suitors, males keep pace with longer and more complicated penises. I'm not making this up, here's an absolutely true and cited article detailing it: http://www.cracked.com/funny-2938-duck-rape/

So why does rape exist in evolutionary terms? The same reason sex exists: reproduction. Forceful reproduction.