Why does virtually every "non-binary" gender go back to m/f?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
008Zulu said:
Silvanus said:
None of them refer to gender at all; one of the central points in each of my sources was that gender and sex are distinct, and do not always correlate.
I gathered from your sources that you were looking at it from a psychological viewpoint, I was looking at it from a genetic viewpoint.
In which case, gender doesn't enter into it, because gender is not biological sex. I included a source from a journal of Physiology, you'll notice, to attest to that fact from both fields.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
NemotheElvenPanda said:
Because it's not a mental illness.
Funny you should mention that, considering there are two mental illnesses that could actually resemble Transgenderism. You've got Schizophrenia and grandiose delusions, things like where you think you're Jesus and the like, and you've got Body Integrity Identity Disorder (Though granted that one is more that you're not supposed to have certain limbs attached to you, but to assume it can't apply to other such areas like you have the wrong set of genitals would be odd to say the least.)

Basically, transgenderism could be said to be a mixture of these two illnesses. I can't really say much more than this I'm afraid, but that's my 2 Cents.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Metalix Knightmare said:
NemotheElvenPanda said:
Funny you should mention that, considering there are two mental illnesses that could actually resemble Transgenderism. You've got Schizophrenia and grandiose delusions, things like where you think you're Jesus and the like, and you've got Body Integrity Identity Disorder (Though granted that one is more that you're not supposed to have certain limbs attached to you, but to assume it can't apply to other such areas like you have the wrong set of genitals would be odd to say the least.)

Basically, transgenderism could be said to be a mixture of these two illnesses. I can't really say much more than this I'm afraid, but that's my 2 Cents.
Except...that's not what psychologists are saying about being transgender. Why do you y'all think you have more authority on this than people who study and treat mental illness for a living?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
And video games could be said to be a mixture between murder training simulators and rape training simulators.

I figured since this thread had devolved into misinformed pseudoscience conjectures that I may as well add my own :D

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I just love my humanity constantly being questioned by people who claim they arent bigots.

And people wonder why I am not more polite to the other side.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Metalix Knightmare said:
NemotheElvenPanda said:

No, no, please, say much more, I'd like to see just how far this goes. I mean, it's not like you could dig a deeper hole than you already have. And hell, it's not even the worst that's been said in this very thread! So please, continue, give us the whole dollar.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
I reiterate my previous point: what's the harm in accepting genderqueer people? What's the harm in accepting transgender people? If someone wants to use gender-neutral pronouns and gender-neutral restrooms, who is being victimized? Even if there was no science behind it (even though there is and has been since the late 20th century), letting people be themselves in regards to the pronouns, names, honorifics, and restrooms they use is hardly going to destroy society or one's own concept of gender identity.

I know a number of genderqueer and transgender people, but that hasn't made me question my identity as a cisgender man or somehow devalued it. So with that in mind, why should I deny these people, these perfectly ethical, law abiding, genuinely good people, their identities and experiences as something that is wrong? And no, saying that "it's such a small number of people" or "It's an aberration" is not enough. Just because something maybe be different or uncommon doesn't mean it's harmful or wrong.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
NemotheElvenPanda said:
I reiterate my previous point: what's the harm in accepting genderqueer people? What's the harm in accepting transgender people?
People fighting gender stereotypes often clash with people who use those gender stereotypes as important pillar for their identity.

Trangsgender people have been on both sides of the conflict. For cis with a strong gender identity their existence questions their worldview, for poeple trying to break up and abolish gender structures and maybe gender itself, someone living it is an outright provocation, even if the gender in question does not match the sex.

Those problems won't go away anytime soon. There might be a chance to solve the first conflict, but i don't see how to solve the second.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Satinavian said:
NemotheElvenPanda said:
I reiterate my previous point: what's the harm in accepting genderqueer people? What's the harm in accepting transgender people?
People fighting gender stereotypes often clash with people who use those gender stereotypes as important pillar for their identity.

Trangsgender people have been on both sides of the conflict. For cis with a strong gender identity their existence questions their worldview, for poeple trying to break up and abolish gender structures and maybe gender itself, someone living it is an outright provocation, even if the gender in question does not match the sex.

Those problems won't go away anytime soon. There might be a chance to solve the first conflict, but i don't see how to solve the second.
But it just seems so pedantic. Someone who used to be a man but now identifies as a woman or something else entirely isn't going to have me question my own masculinity and manhood. Even if gender identities was as varied as the rainbow and widely accepted, I would still identify as a cisgender man because I know I am one. How other people identify and express themselves has no bearing on how someone does the same, or at least it shouldn't.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Delicious Anathema said:
Transition is the best way to deal with it, which is why post op suicide rates are still high. [http://thefederalist.com/2015/08/19/transgender-regret-is-real-even-if-the-media-tell-you-otherwise/] Right. In my opinion, having therapy to accept one's gender as it is or treating hormone/chemical imbalance instead of resorting to genital mutilation seems like a more fitting treatment. But of course no one will do research that kind of procedure, because it's "transphobic".

Also, when pronoun policing happens, people are forcing someone to accept their warped reality where they are the gender they claim to be. And let's not get into the new invented pronouns for gender fluid, genderless and two spirited people.
Rates of suicide are still high because stigmatization is still high. And trans people who recently elect for things like GRS to change documentation are more visible to abuse. But apparently this thought doesn't enter the heads of commentators such as yourself on the situationn, who assume that it's because somehow it's bad medicine. After all, maybe people being treated like garbage makes them depressed enough to kill themselves?

Nah, after all ... when does depression cause suicide?

Secondly, it would be transphobic because it pretends conversion therapy is useful or is a sufficient excuse for people like you not to accept basic neuroscience. In counterpoint, yes it is transphobic to accept the opinions of the scientifically illiterate to punish trans people by pretending they don't exist. Hence why rates of suicide decrease if it is correctly treated earlier rather than later, and why rates of suicide are not equal everywhere.
It's not like there isn't transition regret and suicide over it. Many trans people kill themselves even when there is support around them, many have internal conflicts over their identity that transition does not solve. I do think it's bad medicine, even if it's the only one there is now. Chopping off organs and taking hormones instead of accepting one's gender is not better, but finding out how to do the latter should be a priority.

Having this opinion does not mean I hate trans people, it means I, unlike "tolerant people", acknowledge there is an illness, and that I wish every one with it the best of luck. If they want to transition, I'm not stopping it, but don't expect me to accept it as a cure and cave in to pronoun policing.

Metalix Knightmare said:
NemotheElvenPanda said:

Why can't you say more? Just say it. It's this kind of self-restricting behavior that lets some people feel they can censor people with "wrong" opinions. This is not NeoGAF last time I checked.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Delicious Anathema said:
It's not like there isn't transition regret and suicide over it. Many trans people kill themselves even when there is support around them, many have internal conflicts over their identity that transition does not solve. I do think it's bad medicine, even if it's the only one there is now. Chopping off organs and taking hormones instead of accepting one's gender is not better, but finding out how to do the latter should be a priority.

Having this opinion does not mean I hate trans people, it means I, unlike "tolerant people", acknowledge there is an illness, and that I wish every one with it the best of luck. If they want to transition, I'm not stopping it, but don't expect me to accept it as a cure and cave in to pronoun policing.
Well then you're ignoring the science, and the fact of the matter is you're just being downright rude. Few trans people feel regret for transitioning, but then again what type of regret are we talking about? Losing your job? Being shunned by family and friends? Your attitude is one that add to the idea that trans people should be miserable. Trans people are not diseased simply for being trans, and surgery and HRT should be seen as options if people want it. HRT and surgery is about accepting their gender, because gender is not your sex. There is a chasm of difference between gender and sex. We see it everyday

I mean so far you haven't even told me numbers aroundwhy you think it's bad medicine when we do have the numbers concerning conversion therapy and how successful that is (it's not). So much so most Western governments consider it child abuse. And yeah, that is very much bad medicine.

Delicious Anathema said:
Why can't you say more? Just say it. It's this kind of self-restricting behavior that lets some people feel they can censor people with "wrong" opinions. This is not NeoGAF last time I checked.
Yes, it would be terrible if people 'censored' other people from expressing themselves as they truly wish to ... you realize the hypocrisy, right? You're ignoring basic neuroscience in order to pretend trans people don't exist... yet you run this narrative in the same post.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
NemotheElvenPanda said:
Except...that's not what psychologists are saying about being transgender. Why do you y'all think you have more authority on this than people who study and treat mental illness for a living?
No different from anti-vaxxers, really. Idiots will idiot and end up hurting other people due to being an idiot.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Delicious Anathema said:

Well then you're ignoring the science, and the fact of the matter is you're just being downright rude. Few trans people feel regret for transitioning, but then again what type of regret are we talking about? Losing your job? Being shunned by family and friends? Your attitude is one that add to the idea that trans people should be miserable. Trans people are not diseased simply for being trans, and surgery and HRT should be seen as options if people want it. HRT and surgery is about accepting their gender, because gender is not your sex. There is a chasm of difference between gender and sex. We see it everyday

I mean so far you haven't even told me numbers aroundwhy you think it's bad medicine when we do have the numbers concerning conversion therapy and how successful that is (it's not). So much so most Western governments consider it child abuse. And yeah, that is very much bad medicine.

Delicious Anathema said:
Yes, it would be terrible if people 'censored' other people from expressing themselves as they truly wish to ... you realize the hypocrisy, right? You're ignoring basic neuroscience in order to pretend trans people don't exist... yet you run this narrative in the same post.
You know what's child abuse? Parents giving 12 year olds hormone therapy.

What kind of regret? When they regret changing because they didn't feel a woman/man when transition was over, and some even come around to accept their original biological sex. I'm sure there are happy trans people that transitioned, but the ones that have depression/regret/suicide are often overlooked when talking about this subject.
Youtube is littered with videos of trans people warning about transitioning, there are two sides of the coin and we at the very least shouldn't accept transition as the only treatment.

Also, I'm not pretending trans people don't exist. They do and they have a disorder, and I'm of the opinion that they should try to accept their sex/gender. It's okay to disagree.

Saying it's a disorder or illness is not censoring, I'm not stopping anyone from speaking or doing anything. You, me and anyone should post their views in a civil way, as different as they may be. When people start self-censoring because they're afraid then there's a problem.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Delicious Anathema said:
You know what's child abuse? Parents giving 12 year olds hormone therapy.
Citation needed. Because I class child abuse as abuse of parental responsibility, like denying a child medical treatments for a diagnosable condition that is presenting comorbidity with aspects of depression? Also it's clear you haven't actually researched the subject to determine the difference between something like hormone blockers as a minor and actual HRT.

But hey... why let ignorance get in the way of a narrative?

What kind of regret? When they regret changing because they didn't feel a woman/man when transition was over, and some even come around to accept their original biological sex.
Some, not all... and frankly that's why better diagnostic models are in place. Not that transitioning is somehow uniformily horrible. Because we have proof it helps trans people who seek that option. Also, what does biological sex have to do with it? Who actually identifies with their genome when genetics isn't even all that reliable?

I call myself a mutant for having an additionsl chromosome, but I don't wear it as if a fucking badge. Mostly I use it as a Marvel commentary joke. Still waiting for my superpowers, yo.

I'm sure there are happy trans people that transitioned, but the ones that have depression/regret/suicide are often overlooked when talking about this subject. Youtube is littered with videos of trans people warning about transitioning, there are two sides of the coin and we shouldn't accept transition as the only "cure" to this.
You're speaking to one. And transitioning isn't merely HRT and surgery ... HRT and surgery wasn't thrust upon me. Not all trans people want surgery, or the same surgeries.

Also, I'm not pretending trans people don't exist. They do and they have a disorder, and I'm of the opinion that they should try to accept their sex/gender. It's okay to disagree.

Saying it's a disorder or illness is not censoring, I'm not stopping anyone from speaking or doing anything. You, me and anyone should post their views in a civil way, as different as they may be. When people start self-censoring because they're afraid then there's a problem.
Being trans is not being ill. It can be a disorder if it is improperly treated. This is why options exist. Also, sex is not the same as gender. That garbage attitude belongs to the Middle East, where Iran forces you to transition for being homosexual, for how else can you explain a man wanting to fuck another man if they didn't want to be a woman ... or vice versa?

And you'll forgive me, but it is censorship. The whole point of freedom of expression is the libertarian ideal that self-construction and happiness comes from regulating one's own social vehicles in the engagement with others in a common exchange. Scientifically speaking, sex is not gender (not that we need science to point this out), trans people exist, and they have an equal right to have that common vehicle of social engagement recognized as valid.

Same way you seem to identify with your genome that you don't seem to know much about, you'll forgive trans people their identification beyond it because both common sense and science backs up this as a valid phenomena of being. If your only objection is your personal ignorance, then own that fact and don't pretend it's "policing" when people call you an idiot.

Turns out being gay and being left handed have more to do with womb conditions than genetics. So should I tell lefties and probably half of all gay people to stop lying about their "lifestyle choices"?

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
We can agree to disagree, I won't repeat myself anymore as we're running in circles with the same arguments and counter arguments. You get my point: it's a mental illness, accepting sex/gender (they're very intertwined in my admittedly conservative view) should be favored instead of transitioning, non-binary/genderless should try and fit their gender too, and gay people have a disorder (albeit harmless).

Though even you can't help but fall into the liberal/leftist trap of calling everyone who disagrees an ignorant/bigot/idiot (though you have a skewed meaning of "ignorant"), but it's okay. If you're trans I hope you're happy and never have regrets or complications, just know it doesn't go well for everybody.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'll agree to disagree on a lot of things, but "you're are ill unless you're cis and straight" isn't one of them.

Like, how would you go around fixing that?

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
altnameJag said:
I'll agree to disagree on a lot of things, but "you're are ill unless you're cis and straight" isn't one of them.

Like, how would you go around fixing that?
For starters, there is a WIDE gap between being Trans and being gay, so the straight part there just feels out of place.

Granted though, I'm FULLY away that being gay used to be considered a mental disorder, the same as Transgenderism is today. The thing of it is, homosexuality could at least be argued to be a natural thing as one of nature's methods of population control. (Plenty of animals in nature that engage in homosexual behaviors, but you don't really see things like Male Peacocks ripping out their tail feathers so they look more like female ones.)

As for how you would go about fixing that? No idea, and that's part of the problem. Psychology is a very soft kind of science, and trying to work out treatment methods for anything is an uphill climb at best. That said, given the number of trans people who regret transitioning, and given that trans people make up about 0.3% of the U.S. population even a small amount is rather telling, surgical transitioning is clearly not the be all end all for helping people with this.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Delicious Anathema said:
We can agree to disagree, I won't repeat myself anymore as we're running in circles with the same arguments and counter arguments. You get my point: it's a mental illness, accepting sex/gender (they're very intertwined in my admittedly conservative view) should be favored instead of transitioning, non-binary/genderless should try and fit their gender too, and gay people have a disorder (albeit harmless).

Though even you can't help but fall into the liberal/leftist trap of calling everyone who disagrees an ignorant/bigot/idiot (though you have a skewed meaning of "ignorant"), but it's okay. If you're trans I hope you're happy and never have regrets or complications, just know it doesn't go well for everybody.
"Agree to disagree" is a stupid phrase. I do not agree to disagree. You're trivializing alot of people into just being crazy. Alot of this would not be an issue if everyone else was not crazy and think that clothing materials and genitals somehow conflict with eachother.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Delicious Anathema said:
Being trans is not a mental illness. Your gender has nothing to do with your sex. So no, I don't get your point at all. You're talking verifiably debunked statements. Your conservative values have fuck all to do with this. If your opposition to this is purely political, I hope more "leftists" are calling you out for it ... because politics shouldn't get in the way of medicine, nor as a tool for pathology.

Yes, if you refuse to accept consensus to run a narrative you evidently have no fucking idea about, you are ignorant. That is the definition of ignorant. I don't lecture people about string theory because I have no fucking idea about string theory. I am ignorant about string theory. But that's okay, because I don't feel the need to lecture other people about String Theory. If someone in the field of physics says I'm full of crap, I should probably listen to them.

Not call it a "leftist trap" like an idiot.

Also, all medicine has complications. I get migraines, I have to take powerful triptans to hopefully stop it before it starts when I see the light fairies. But this is successful only about 70% of the time. If it doesn't work, I have the 'complications' of 3 days on average of vomiting, nausea, and have to hide somewhere dark.

One time was so bad I needed fluids through an IV because I couldn't keep water down for 4 days.

That doesn't make triptans 'bad medicine', orthat triptans use is pointless.