Why don't people like anime?

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I like it, but I haven't seen much, and some animes that I have seen I have consider them wastes of my time. But some others, like NGE, RahXephon, Serial Experiments Lain, Hellsing Ultimate, Elfen Lied, Darker than Black and some others I have really enjoyed, and I am sure there are plenty more.
The same can be said about videogames, actually.
The only thing I really don't like are TV series. I have enjoyed the series The Street by the BBC and Futurama, but apart from that I haven't really liked anything else. But we'll see later, I do hope there is something truly interesting.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Well people usually don't like animé because they just don't like it.

Everyone has a different taste and that's all...

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Same reason I hate Conan O'Brian while everyone in my age range seems to idolize the ground he walks on. People are allowed to dislike things for no explainable reason.

Troodon

Oct 26, 2010
I tried to get into it repeatedly, in fact at one point there was a even cute girl involved who really wanted me to like it, but I gave it six attempts and I just couldn't do it.

Tylmarande

Aug 28, 2010
I dunno if this has been said before (too many posts for me to do a quick read through) but part of it is probably because people don't understand part of what's going on in most Anime. It's one thing if an anime is set in a completely different world/universe or set in a time in the Past (since important Cultural information and references are usually explained or Set up during the course of the show), but for the ones that take place in a more realistic world (ones that are set in say, a modern High School in Japan, for example) it becomes harder to understand what's going on due to cultural references (FLCL is the perfect example of this because it was literally filled with cultural Jokes). People who watch Anime and Read Manga frequently don't really have this problem because we're used to seeing some of the Cultural Cliche's that are often used in mangas, so I suppose it would also boil down to how much Anime they watched before they declared that they hated all of it.

If you didn't want to try to make heads or tails of the confusing mess above: People won't like what they can't understand / relate to in any way. That's why SOME people don't like it at least.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
Because other people do, and sometimes people are desperate to be as different as possible from the frighteningly hardcore otaku crowd.
So people don't like it simply because they want to be different?
nothing to do with no appeal to them?
nothing to do with finding it stupid or childish?

Nope, must be desperate.

OmegaZXA

Mar 19, 2010
Here are two major reasons why some teens hate anime:

1) Because America royally sucks at dubbing anime about 80-90% of the time. Take a look at One Piece and Naruto, Japan's top two shonen series, and DARE to tell me otherwise.

2) Look at teenage society: jocks, punks, populars, geeks, etc. The essential archetypes basically, wherein nobody wants to leave their comfort zone for fear of total rejection. So while some of the non-otaku types might actually LIKE anime if they gave it a shot (and probably do without even knowing it) practically none of them will dare watch a single show for fear that their confused friends will ostracize them.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Sacman said:
It's subject to sturgeons law like any other medium...<.<
That is 90% of everything is crap...
and anime is no exception... though I do enjoy quite a few anime shows myself...<.<
look at the avatar...
is your avatar from serial experiments lain?

O/T: i like anime and everybody has different opinions. I dont like pop music and that is my opinion of that.

Seriously this thread is done way too many times use the search button in forums sheesh

a week later and another thread like this will appear

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z get a pass due to youth nostalgia.

But the other stuff people have thrown at me? I loathed it. I just can't get around the fact that I absolutely hate the general art style.

Also, my irrational loathing of Japanese culture plays a part.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Theyer joyless husks.....

Oh wait. Sorry. Its 1:46 am. Im suppossed to be kind....ish.

Because some people, just dont understand what anime is all about. Chances are they never really gave it a chance, and never looked for an anime they would accually enjoy. Alot of people who dont like anime, only watched a few different shows, and then lumped them all together into one group.

A person whos serious probably wont like a show like FLCL. A person who enjoys laughing, and random things, probably wouldent like Juuni Kokuki.

Most who dont enjoy anime, dont care for animation as a whole.

Whoop. 1:51. Kind time is over. They just dont enjoy the best things in life. Because theyer brain is mashed taters and they wear itchy underwear. ((or none at all.))

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:
Sacman said:
It's subject to sturgeons law like any other medium...<.<
That is 90% of everything is crap...
and anime is no exception... though I do enjoy quite a few anime shows myself...<.<
look at the avatar...
is your avatar from serial experiments lain?

O/T: i like anime and everybody has different opinions. I dont like pop music and that is my opinion of that.

Seriously this thread is done way too many times use the search button in forums sheesh

a week later and another thread like this will appear
Yes good job heres your cookie...