Why haven't they made many Giant Monster Fight In a City games??

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never seen or heard of that, but it does look like fun.

But see what I'm talking about, @BrawlMan? The characters move at "normal" speed and all sense of scale is pretty much lost; you just become normal-sized creatures in what effectively feels like a miniature city. And the buildings, yes, they're "destroying" them, but in no way any more appreciable than we've been experiencing "blowing shit up" in almost every game for the past couple of decades.

The closest I've seen to a game capturing somewhat the sense of scale that makes giant monsters fun to play as was 2014's "Godzilla" on PS4, and that game sucked. While they did replicate the slow, plodding steps which gave you the feeling of immense weight, the cities were largely empty and flat (y'know, for the gameplay arena,) and the buildings just crumbled or exploded. I'd like to see buildings topple over and remain apart of the navigable landscape instead of just imploding like Lego sets under controlled demolition. Don't how to make this work either, but make the camera angle very low; maybe not street-level, but definitely give the sense of looking up at your character.
I get what you mean. Though honestly, as long as the gameplay is good that doesn't bother me much. Plus, I'm not one for always photo realism. I prefer more of a cartoony or animated art style. That way the game designers can go nuts.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The simple answer is because they'd have to make something better than War of the Monsters which even now is pretty much one of the best giant monster fighting games out there

War of the Monsters was so damn good. And the amount of detail it had with what you can break and use as a weapon was just amazing.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I am in agreement we need a new Rampage game that is not a Dave and Busters tie in. Now the closet one I have is not a giant monster fighting but it is giant mecha fighting. And does capture that hulking size and weight but still arcade enough to not be full simulation.

Now you do fight kaiju in the story mode in a brighter toned Pacific Rim kind of way and hopefully next entry will introduce kaiju to use.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I am in agreement we need a new Rampage game that is not a Dave and Busters tie in. Now the closet one I have is not a giant monster fighting but it is giant mecha fighting. And does capture that hulking size and weight but still arcade enough to not be full simulation.

Now you do fight kaiju in the story mode in a brighter toned Pacific Rim kind of way and hopefully next entry will introduce kaiju to use.
I think I'm going to have to find those. I think I'm in love with the coop mode where you and friends all try and pilot the same mech! :D That would make for a hilarious drinking game. Every time you lose, or someone misses an input, you take a shot. By the end, the entire team is just hammered and trying to fight a giant robot :D

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think I'm going to have to find those. I think I'm in love with the coop mode where you and friends all try and pilot the same mech! :D That would make for a hilarious drinking game. Every time you lose, or someone misses an input, you take a shot. By the end, the entire team is just hammered and trying to fight a giant robot :D
LOL!! AAA "QWERTY" game? I'm in!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
LOL!! AAA "QWERTY" game? I'm in!
Oh man, I just thought of another fun/ridiculous way to do that. Have it be a VR game, with full body capture for each player....but the only part of their body that actually controls input, is the part they are assigned to. So the two leg people, have to constantly time their single leg motions to try and walk. The arms would swing around and toss off balance...which could...I guess be controlled by the head/chest player? That could be fun as hell I think. At least to watch anyway!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Here's an idea: a first-person monster game! It would probably be a mess to control, but what better way to convey size than from the immediate perspective of the monster? Looking down on all the people scattering, squashing tanks, knocking over buildings, etc. I thought of this remembering some of the more intense moments from Prototype, just lift the perspective to behind the eyes of Godzilla or something.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
A few of the godzilla games were basicly fighting games in the big cities.

Others, like Rampage is basicly this: GIant monsers tearing up the place.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A few of the godzilla games were basicly fighting games in the big cities.

Others, like Rampage is basicly this: GIant monsers tearing up the place.
Yeah I'm intimately familiar with Rampage, I played it in the arcade as a youth when it was a brand new game. I just don't really recall hearing too much stuff about games of this general type (giant things in a city smashing about), as being all that big or prevalent.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's an idea: a first-person monster game! It would probably be a mess to control, but what better way to convey size than from the immediate perspective of the monster? Looking down on all the people scattering, squashing tanks, knocking over buildings, etc. I thought of this remembering some of the more intense moments from Prototype, just lift the perspective to behind the eyes of Godzilla or something.

Prototype 1 is better. I prefer Alex Mercer. Great way to kill that character development Sierra Games!

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah I'm intimately familiar with Rampage, I played it in the arcade as a youth when it was a brand new game. I just don't really recall hearing too much stuff about games of this general type (giant things in a city smashing about), as being all that big or prevalent.
Well, that's a slightly different question (or at least, I took your initial question differently.

I think when you're on that scale, there's only so far you can take a narrative when controlling huge, presumably animalistic monsters. Like, what "interior" environments do you use to mix up gameplay [again, presuming] when the player character is taller than buildings? What narrative can you have when your playable character can't speak (not to be mistaken with silent protagonists which are assumed to have a voice, just not literally voiced?) You're limited to outside, cities are the most interesting, and mindless combat and destruction is about all you have to go on. Not sure there's much of a niche for such a dedicated genre outside of the novelty of fighting games wherein a "city" serves as mostly a novelty, i.e.: take the latest Tekken or Street Fighter, put little buildings around their feet, and you've got about the best you can feasible expect without a heavy lean on an appreciable depiction of monster size and destruction that makes the city environment more than a novelty.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
I will admit it can be rare. There are elements of this in various Armored Core Games that involve fighting giant bugs in your ginormus mecha.

I mentioned Godzilla having a few games, with the better ones typically being fighting games like street fighter but several stories taller.

I can't remember it,but there was also one where you control a giant robot with a remote control and battled other big things.

And the last part of Gears of War 2 where you hijack that t-rex looking monster with guns and use it to cause havoc on the Locusts.

Other than that, is it just not that popular a genre or subgenre? I mean half the fun of any given game that involves mechs is the sheer undiluted devastation you can inflict on your enemies and surroundings. Same with most army games. This would seem like a perfect idea.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
There was also a game called R.A.D. on the PS2 that was rather interesting. You don't get in a mech and pilot it but instead you're outside of the mech and trying to control it with a remote control. Your point of view is from a third person perspective around your actual character and the controls are deliberately clunky like how piloting a giant robot would actually be with current technology. The goal isn't like what the OP wanted, you actually want to reduce as much destruction as possible for the sake of lives and your budget to upgrade the robot. It was very interesting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There was also a game called R.A.D. on the PS2 that was rather interesting. You don't get in a mech and pilot it but instead you're outside of the mech and trying to control it with a remote control. Your point of view is from a third person perspective around your actual character and the controls are deliberately clunky like how piloting a giant robot would actually be with current technology. The goal isn't like what the OP wanted, you actually want to reduce as much destruction as possible for the sake of lives and your budget to upgrade the robot. It was very interesting.
I remember that vaugely. I think I saw a review of the game on Extended Play [and before EP, it was called GameSpot TV] (before it became X-Play and before Morgan Webb appeared. Kate Bellow was always the better female host). I never got to play the game though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Basically a loving tribute to Rampage. Played the demo. Pretty fun. You're encouraged to pick up cars and people and throw them into other things to do more damage. Including throwing people into helicopters to spatter blood everywhere.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Basically a loving tribute to Rampage. Played the demo. Pretty fun. You're encouraged to pick up cars and people and throw them into other things to do more damage. Including throwing people into helicopters to spatter blood everywhere.
Looks to be It's a better Rampage than, the 2018 Dave Buster's Arcade adaption of the movie. I put this on my wish list.

@CriticalGaming, there is that Rampage game you were looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Kaiju games face two problems:

One is that it's easier to act like big = slow. Just slow down the monster and it seems bigger, right? Well kinda, but that also makes it feel like fighting underwater, and doesn't translate into games very well. These games need more focus building up speed, both to deliver running attacks and to get to opponents faster.

Transformers: Devastation made good use of vehicle mode to speed up their giant robots, although at a smaller-than-kaiju scale.

The other problem is that most kaiju fights are close-quarter-combat (if it wasn't, the city/arena would be reduced to ruble even faster) which is flipping hard to design. Telegraphing, feinting, all that stuff from your typical brawler/fighter gets a lot harder to do when you're all but Eskimo kissing your opponent. Just making the telegraph window bigger works for bosses, but it's harder to make a vs mode like that.

Meanwhile, here's some PS2 Robot Alchemic Drive footage:

Reactions: BrawlMan