Why I hate valve games. (A rant of sorts)

Titanguy654

Jul 14, 2009
scnj said:
I sort of agree, but not for the reasons you gave. I find Valve games to be solid, but overrated.
A response I was hoping for.[/quote]

Translation: Yay, this person kinda agreed with me, although not for the reasons I gave. Their opinion matters more to me! Hi, new best friend!

jonathan19

Apr 14, 2009
Titanguy654 said:
scnj said:
I sort of agree, but not for the reasons you gave. I find Valve games to be solid, but overrated.
A response I was hoping for.
Translation: Yay, this person kinda agreed with me, although not for the reasons I gave. Their opinion matters more to me! Hi, new best friend![/quote]

Yep keep at it man! :D

May 23, 2010
Just to reinforce the whole Valve = Pixar thing, I think this might be akin to the people who hate on Pixar saying that they always follow the same pattern and yaddayaddayadda; when in reality everyone does it, and percieved shitality is only due to the abhorrently unrealistic expectations that Pixar/Valve sets (due to both quality and hype).

That and it's cool to hate things that everyone else likes (and while it's important to note that this should not EVER EVER EVER be used to reinforce one's point as it isn't backed up by anything and goes little beyond saying "I'm right because. Just because.", this would seem to be the case here, due to the lack of any coherent argument other than 'old engine is old'.)

Titanguy654

Jul 14, 2009
jonathan19 said:
Titanguy654 said:
scnj said:
A response I was hoping for.
Translation: Yay, this person kinda agreed with me, although not for the reasons I gave. Their opinion matters more to me! Hi, new best friend!
Yep keep at it man! :D[/quote]

And you keep on trollin'! :D

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Gameplay is more important than graphics. If you do not feel that way then I feel sorry for you you poor dumb bastard.

Whats so bad about getting as much as you possibly can out of an extraordinarily flexible engine. If they updated engines every year like certain other franchises I could name then we might have HLE3 but we wouldn't have Team Fortress 2, Gary's mod, Left 4 Dead, and Portal. Those are all damn good games and they kick ass out of Crysis any day.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Perhaps you haven't noticed that valve has released the graphics updates from HL2:E2 to ALL of the source games?

Your argument is invalidated by this sir, though I say so respectfully.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Um. Okay. Someone screwed up the quote pyramid. Basically, I think that Valve games are overrated because they don't play very well. I went into some detail in another thread a couple of days ago, but an example of what I mean is in the vehicle sections. Half-Life 2 came out in 2004, but the vehicle sections had already been done better in Halo in 2001. Valve's vehicles control horribly, due to the tank controls they force on the player because they're unwilling to use the much more durable third person vehicle perspective.

I get that staying in first person adds immersion, but I don't want it at the cost of my fun. I went for a second playthrough of HL2 but stopped at Water Hazard, because I literally couldn't be bothered wrestling with that stupid boat.

May 23, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
I choose my games based on the actual artistic design, story, and game mechanics, but if those aren't your cup of tea, I don't really hold anything against you for wanting the shiniest game with the most advanced engine. However, the same way you don't understand people paying for games with the same engine, I don't understand how you can judge a game purely by its engine.
You wouldn't understand, by the look of your avatar, I can see that you're a Valve fan. Therefore, you're biased. I am not biased, because I'm infallible. Therefore, you're argument is invalid. Because there is no argument to face mine, I must be right.

I'm doing internet debating right guys?

jonathan19

Apr 14, 2009
Skorpyo said:
Perhaps you haven't noticed that valve has released the graphics updates from HL2:E2 to ALL of the source games?

Still looks ugly. like they say you can put a tux on a pig and it is still a pig

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I'm willing to admit that graphics ruing the immersion some. SOME. But, though I may dislike Half-Life 2, I can say it's a good game. Well designed and all that. And the rest of Valve's lineup is pretty damn good too. I love Left 4 Dead, both of them, and Portal was amazing. Counter-strike is a cult at this point, so I can't say anything bad about them for fear of their assaults against my own middle toes, but for it's time it was amazing.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion...

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
I for one am glad that Valve hasn't updated their graphics because I, as an unemployed PC gamer, do not have enough money to fork over $2000 just to play games, they keep their graphics low and that way people like me can still play them and enjoy them.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Darzen said:
can we get this locked
Why? It's only a thread detailing somebody's opinion. There's an opportunity for some interesting discussion here.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
jonathan19 said:
Skorpyo said:

Still looks ugly. like they say you can put a tux on a pig and it is still a pig
Huh, is it funny i find the Infinity Engine much nicer and cleaner that most of the stuff going around today?