Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Susan Arendt needs a volunteer to play God of War 3 and let her watch. Any takers?
Sure, just provide the PS3, copy of the game, pay for my return flight over there, lodging, food etc. and we'll be gravy ;D

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I can't say I agree with you. Although I can definitely see where you are coming from, I must say that I much prefer to be the one ripping a harpy's wings off, or the one sniping the terrorist leader, or even the one that drives the fire axe right through the psychotic meth addict's head. I always prefer the hands on approach for games (although I am totally awful) and I do get kind of bored watching my skilled friends doing this for me.

I understood what you were talking about with all of the article except for the part about horror games. If someone else has to check around the corners for me, then I am seriously dejected from the whole experience. If it is my character to guide through the ghost infested sewer, I am usually way more tense, if not then terrified.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I agree that games are fun to watch, but mostly when I'm at a friends and they're going to play whatever game they want anyway. I'd never pick watching over playing at my place.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Frankly due to a lack of game mechanic depth and polish I'd rather watch a game play itself than be forced to play it.....

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Some games should be seen and not played.

Read Full Article
You make some very good points, Susan. I've seen for myself how entertaining it can be to watch someone else play, but I never considered to attribute this to the element of surprise. Even when it's quite simple, if you think about it: Playing a game means you are in control, and the character in the game (hopefully) responds just the way you told it to. A spectator, however, doesn't get this. Every move in the game comes like a surprise, just like you said. That way it can be highly entertaining to watch an epic battle unfold, more so when you know very little of the game in question.

Hey, here's an idea: Why don't we find the games that are great fun to watch while a skilled player kicks ass in it? It would be great if those of us who don't own a PS3 can enjoy Kratos' slaughterfest from a moviegoer's perspective. I think that would be perfect as a new Escapist feature: Pure gameplay videos of the leetest players around showing off their gaming skills to those who don't have the games, and/or the skills. I know I'd love to watch that, would you?

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Hmm time to make a new Thread called "Why I really don't care if you play God Of War III as I will be with or without your support" ^_^

This isn't singling out the man either, its more of a standard, if I cared for other peoples opinions I'd check out a review from Yahtzee or Angry Nerd

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vigilantis said:
Hmm time to make a new Thread called "Why I really don't care if you play God Of War III as I will be with or without your support" ^_^

This isn't singling out the man either, its more of a standard, if I cared for other peoples opinions I'd check out a review from Yahtzee or Angry Nerd
What man? I'm confused.

Also, this wasn't a review. Did you read the column, or just the title?

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Well at least some people won't get bored this month... for me i'll wait between 6months to a year so that the prices drop... 30 bucks is a better price at amazon...

topraman517

Jan 21, 2009
I was going to write a long post about why your reasoning is bizarre, but I have to say you're kind of right. Especially during Quick Time Events, I am focusing so much on pressing the right buttons at the right times, that I can't observe all the gory details of what is actually happening on screen.

Of course, the absolute best example of where watching a game is better than playing it is that one sequence in Metal Gear Solid 4. You know, the one where the screen is split, with Raiden fighting Vamp on one side, and you (as Snake) fighting the Metal Gears on the other. I tried watching the swordfight while battling the Metal Gears, and I got Game Over every time. Then I just stopped trying to watch the swordfight, and destroying the Metal Gears was a piece of cake.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
elricik said:
watch a game.........DOES NOT COMPUTE!!! [Head Explodes]
Quick time events= watching not playing.

A game based on quick time events DOES NOT COMPUTE!!! [Head Explodes][/quote]

Heavy rain is nice....but its no more innovative than who shot Johny rock and many other AMV games.........

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I'm doing this with my roommate now. He's almost done and I won't let him play without me. Good thing too. He sucks at figuring out puzzles without trying everything first. Even if he figures out the right way, he'll attempt other things just to see if there is more than one way to do it.

I've actually had a higher blood pressure from watching him than I would from playing. His playstyle frustrates me so much...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kitsuna10060 said:
to Ninjamedic: nope, i'm getting it to XD

OT: i won't be playing it, not cause of a lack of PS3, but because watching Kratos being pissed off for X number of hours dosen't interest me, even for a rental, GoW, for me, is a case where, it looks good, plays good and is fun, BUT for some reason i can't force myself past the fact the main character is an unlikeable asshole with no redeeming qualitys at all.
( on the PS3 anyway XD)
That's one of the reasons I do play the God of War games. Kratos is one of the few gaming protagonists who lacks any semblance of heroism. The first game made him out to be a tortured anti hero but by the second (and most definitely in the third) he'd bought a one way ticket to dickhead town on the asshole express. He murders, assaults, pillages and generally just acts like a self obsessed, indestructible douche who screws over anybody or anything that tries to help him.

I honestly can't think of a gaming protagonist as morally bankrupt as Kratos and that's one of the reasons he stands out.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
You basically just put gaming in the same category as road trips. Being the driver can be fun but as passenger you can focus more on the scenery and other things to watch.
I like your thinking.

Daniwolf

Mar 16, 2010
In both the god of war collection and now on god of war 3, my dad sits beside me and get awed by the all the awesomeness that's going on at the screen.

(I still find doing the awesomeness more fun then watching it, though.)

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I'm a big fan of let's plays (watching someone else play a game with usually absurb and unrelated commentary [if you like Unskippable, imagine a whole game of that]).They're perfect for ps3 exclusives, when all I have is an Xbox360.
Highly cinematic games like Meal Gear Solid 4, final fantasy and Heavy Rain are perfect. As are atmospheric horror games like fear, where you can miss some scares if you're too engrossed in play...

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I remember watching a buddy of mine play Fatal Frame 2, and thinking it was better to watch it. Then he decided to let me take over, and the experience was totally different. Never did I fully appreciate the value of controller rumbling until that moment. Fatal Frame 2 did such an amazing job with the timing and intensity that it built up anticipation like one couldn't imagine without playing...

solution... make the second controller also rumble, that way a spectator can be freaking out because of the pulsating the same as the player.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
Decoy Doctorpus said:
He murders, assaults, pillages and generally just acts like a self obsessed, indestructible douche who screws over anybody or anything that tries to help him.
You forgot vandalism. Think of all the statues, artifacts, artworks, valuable siege weapons and historic palaces this jackass has destroyed. Modern Greece, in the God of War timeline, would be left with a statue's lovingly carved ear and a Mount Olympus engraved with hundred-foot high letters: "KRATOS RAGED HERE".

I like to spectate some games, especially FPSes (?) that I'm interested in, but not interested enough to play; I usually act as a spotter. For God of War, I usually crank it down to easy mode so I can blitz through it and genuinely feel like a badass. Breaks the atmosphere a bit when you're being nibbled to death by a million harpies.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
I think there is a very large crowd of "watchers" now because it has become just as entertaining to watch as a movie as it does to play the game.

However, I sometimes find myself incredibly frustrated when just watching, because I am someone who picks up on a lot of game nuances very fast. I quickly learn the importance of the moves you never use, of the places you don't look, on the weapons you don't use. I very quickly figure out how to beat each area faster, and better, picking out every detail that I see.

Maybe its because I can't be bothered to watch TV or Movies now. I like to be doing something while something else is going on. Regardless, I am not a "watcher" nor will I ever probably be. I'll be the one playing the game, doing the best to make it look like that is what the character would do in that situation.

In this case, being an absolute badass, and not taking any shit from anybody in my quest for destruction of the GODS!