Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I can't stand watching anyone else play, unless I've already played the game and am just observing the reactions of someone else to it.

ishagisaka

Nov 9, 2009
I might recommend DarkSydePhil:
http://www.youtube.com/user/darksydephil#p/c/EB74ADDB2BD76A76/1/_4ysbpyNMB8

ginty2

The Shadow Premier
Dec 16, 2008
meganmeave said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Susan Arendt said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Oddly enough, I'm expecting this to link me to an article that says "I don't own a PS3".
Huh? I do have a PS3. I even took it with me on vacation. Maybe I'm just confused by what you're saying.
It's just my strange sense of humour, don't worry.

Wait, you took your PS3 on vacation? That's serious gaming commitment, the best I manage is a DS.
My husband and I often take a small LCD T.V. with us, along with our PS3 and or 360. If we're driving that is. Many hotel rooms don't have the right hookups.

It's a pain in the ass, but so worth it when you can't sleep in those strange beds and are up late at night.
i only wish i could bring my PS3 or 360 on vacation. My wife is pretty cool but i think she would not be cool with me bringing my home systems on vacation. oh well i just have to make due with my DS and PSP.

susan can come over with and watch me play god of war 3. bring the husband and we can have a pary!

fmatthew5876

Feb 22, 2010
I can see how some people would say god of war is a button masher. You have to play on the higher difficulties and it becomes much more interesting and fun. There you actually have to block, evade, and choose which attacks to use.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i appreciate what you are trying to say. i have been a long time watcher of video game play through whether sitting next to my friend on the couch watching the great sci fi flick half life to the log book and scorekeeper for my girlfriend as she endevoured to get a 100% on a JRPG. watching a spectacle is a fun, watching a beautiful spectacle is better, and watching a beautiful spectacle with a good story is great.

However (and i feel really bad saying this knowing that somehow you seem to be targetted by flamers on this site) please stop heaping praise on a game that hasn't released yet. maybe i'm that weirdo stick in the mud guy for this franchise but i hate seeing god of war get unjustifibly praised for its hacky slashy prerelease. yes it looks awesome but so does bayonetta, devil may cry, darksiders and dante inferno. and here you are praising god of war's bad storytelling while those other games got lackluster reveiws because of bad storytelling. being a reveiwer means trying to be objective and trying to be objective means being even handed. if other games are slcked off for bad writing so must god of war. if god of war scores points for bad writing than so must the others.

but for all i just said i realize that i am not being entirely fair. if you just liked the god of war series and can't really put your finger on what it was thats fine, and frankly that why i didn't like the game. i played the first game for four hours wating for the game to start then fell asleep while playing the game. needless to say i am not a fan. so maybe i'm wriong and just getting angry at god of war for being super popular when i hate it so much but this for some reason this article struck my hate nerve enough to warrant a post.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Freebird. said:
My sister loves horror movies but can't play through scary games as she finds it much more frightening when she's in control. This leaves me having to play through a lot of games when she's too scared to play but is still interested in the story.
My wife has the opposite problem, I can't play RE4 when she's around. Her shrieks startle me more than the game.

But I feel the same way as Susan. Some games (like any Resident Evil game) I prefer watching than playing. I feel the same way about Heavy Rain: I don't like the controls and would prefer to watch someone who knows how to make it look good. In my game it looks like all the characters are high on pcp... or is that just the game.

But Fallout 3? If either of us starts playing Fallout 3, the other is sure to sit and watch.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Well I know my cousin is freaquently making me play certain games so he can watch, namly God of War, Uncharteds, Killzones, Battlefields, Metal Gear Solids, Fallout 3, and Assassins Creed 2. My mother also enjoyed watching me Fallout as well.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
rayen020 said:
i appreciate what you are trying to say. i have been a long time watcher of video game play through whether sitting next to my friend on the couch watching the great sci fi flick half life to the log book and scorekeeper for my girlfriend as she endevoured to get a 100% on a JRPG. watching a spectacle is a fun, watching a beautiful spectacle is better, and watching a beautiful spectacle with a good story is great.

However (and i feel really bad saying this knowing that somehow you seem to be targetted by flamers on this site) please stop heaping praise on a game that hasn't released yet. maybe i'm that weirdo stick in the mud guy for this franchise but i hate seeing god of war get unjustifibly praised for its hacky slashy prerelease. yes it looks awesome but so does bayonetta, devil may cry, darksiders and dante inferno. and here you are praising god of war's bad storytelling while those other games got lackluster reveiws because of bad storytelling. being a reveiwer means trying to be objective and trying to be objective means being even handed. if other games are slcked off for bad writing so must god of war. if god of war scores points for bad writing than so must the others.

but for all i just said i realize that i am not being entirely fair. if you just liked the god of war series and can't really put your finger on what it was thats fine, and frankly that why i didn't like the game. i played the first game for four hours wating for the game to start then fell asleep while playing the game. needless to say i am not a fan. so maybe i'm wriong and just getting angry at god of war for being super popular when i hate it so much but this for some reason this article struck my hate nerve enough to warrant a post.
The game came out Tuesday. Also, this is not a review, thus I am free to voice my completely unobjective opinion.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Metal gear solid works best for this. remove yourself from the need to play, and enjoy the whole overblown, overwrought, yet often brilliant spectacle. Also, my girlfriend quite enjoys watching me play team fortress, what with the humour, style, excellent dialogue and so forth, yet she's terrified to even touch the keyboard with it. Ironically enough, as all of Valve's single player games lose a lot when you're reduced to spectator, when a lot of the impact comes from putting you as squarely in the game as possible.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
The cat's out of the bag:

Susan likes to watch.

Sorry if that was already said or in poor taste, it just sort of... fell out.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Hm...on the one hand I agree with the sentiment, but...it only applies for instances when I know the player is at least as good as, or better than, myself at that particular game. Watching someone masterful at a game play can be a real treat. I was more fascinated watching professional tournament play of Starcraft on freaking Youtube than I ever was playing the game myself (I'm terrible at it). Watching jokesters playing around in Team Fortress 2 can be amusing. Seeing someone just zoom through something like Shinobi without getting touched is impressive. All of that in addition to having time to appreciate details I'd have probably overlooked were I playing the game rather than observing.

On the other hand, if I'm watching someone worse play, it is TORTURE. Dear lord. Watching someone stumble through Left 4 Dead when I can hear the boomer from two rooms away, and he STILL walks right into it and blows it up in his own face? Watching someone completely run out of rockets trying to shoot down a gunship in Half-Life 2 because they can't figure out how to hit it? Someone dying on the same jump in over and over and over and...

AAAGGH JUST GIVE ME THE CONTROLLER(/keyboard) BEFORE I BEAT YOU TO DEATH WITH IT!

...so, ahem. Yeah. Maybe watching God of War 3 would be nifty. I'd just have to make sure the "actor" I'm watching knows his lines before the curtain rises. Otherwise I'm demanding a refund.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
While I can see where you are coming from Susan, I don't think I can agree. It's probably because I ended up reading the entire article as "I'll just take half of the experience and be happy," and that just doesn't work for me. Even with Uncharted 2, I can't stand to watch other people play while I don't get to play. I'll end up taking out my handheld instead of watching someone else do awesome things that I could be doing. Other than that, I've never had trouble being utterly astonished by the God of War visuals while playing. I often times find myself doing the QTE's with my jaw dropped followed by sounds of shock as I shout, "Oh! That is not supposed to bend that way!"

Overall, I respect your opinion, but simply can't agree with it.

Formica Archonis said:
2) I Wanna Be The Guy.
That game makes me feel terrible for whoever is playing.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Yog Sothoth said:

Susan likes to watch.
Who doesn't? The Internet's just made it so easy to find free videos of all sorts. Amateur or professional-quality, catering to any preference and genre. I have one directory with over 40 GB of video from just veritable acrobat [http://www.archive.org/details/C64Gamevideoarchive]!

Made you look.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Yog Sothoth said:

Susan likes to watch.
Who doesn't? The Internet's just made it so easy to find free videos of all sorts. Amateur or professional-quality, catering to any preference and genre. I have one directory with over 40 GB of video from just veritable acrobat [http://www.archive.org/details/C64Gamevideoarchive]!

Made you look.
Ha ha, well played, Sir!

There was a topic in here somewhere... I can't seem to find it, though...

Dracosage

Feb 23, 2010
I've never been scared by watching someone play a horror game. Controlling the character themselves, making them push forward by your own will, constitutes far more of a horror experience than just watching a game. e.g. When watching someone play F.E.A.R. I wasn't scared at all but then I played it and nearly shat myself.

hyker

Feb 2, 2010
now thats not true
playing silent hill is WAAAAY scarier than watching it
though it is fun to watch my cod4 addict neighbour get scared and scream while playing silent hill or doom 3

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I have pretty much always enjoyed watching games more than playing some of them. Warcraft II was a notable example. I was good, ranked on Battlenet good. But I preferred to watch my friend play.