Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So what I have gathered from this article is...
"Susan Arendt likes to watch"
I feel dirty.

Bakaferret

Jun 18, 2009
For the most part, I agree. The only issue is...having someone that's going to keep playing consistently. Unless you live with a person like that (i.e. roommate, boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife), sibling), then it gets kinda frustrating when you want to see the next part and your buddy is bored (especially if he or she is stuck!). Then I just give up and buy the game myself.

If it's a game I'm never EVER going to play though, I'll just watch it. I will disagree with Silent Hill and Dead Space being scarier to watch than to play. At least for me, I find it 1000% scarier to play than to watch...when I'm in charge of my own fate, I get more tense and cautious about every turn I make. If I'm just watching, I don't give a crap about the character's fate...in fact, if they screw up and die, it's often more entertaining! :p

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Am I the only person here who got mega man 10 instead?

OT: I'm teaming up with my brother to beat all three in one sitting.
You could have written "IM GOING AGAINST THE CROWD NOW" and it would have been more appropriate.

OT:
God of war is fun to play and look at. In my opinion, which I know will get flamed, I think GoWIII doesn't really look that good. The sense of scale and the details in the battles are amazing, but the textures look like polished asphalt.
Sometimes you want a game where you need 100% of your concentration to play
and sometimes you just want to mash buttons and watch heads fly off. That's what God of War is for.
If you're looking for a violent game look for "Toribash", THAT's a game most people would rather watch than play, considering it's not an easy game to master. Look it up on youtube and enjoy the carnage.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
LunaticFringe said:
I have to admit, playing God of War 3, or even watching it, would be way better then how I'm experiencing it now, i.e. by hearing someone I know go "HOLY SHIT you should've seen what I did in God of War last night, I pushed Poseidon's eyeballs into his brain!"
yeah.
Why do they brag about it? They're SUPPOSED to do that in the game.
When they do something really cool that's not a requirement, then it's cool.
Like the stunts people do in GTA.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I was scared for a second, but I totally agree. Having just finished this gargantuan and titanic bloodbath of a game, I'm now coaxing my friend over this weekend so that I can sit couchside to Watch the game I just played. I mean, playing through it there were times I'd just stand still, watching the immense and serene destruction take place, but there was a limit to how long I could stand still without having to mash someone's face in with the Cestus or ripping souls out with the Claws, or electrifying something with the Nemesis Whip. But now...now I get to watch the game. I'm pumped.

Oh, and
Susan Arendt said:
...but you'll have to take your hands off the Sixaxis to really appreciate the sheer spectacle of Kratos' bad mood.
People still use the Sixaxis? Don't they know about the Dualshock and it's rumbly goodness?

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Dead Space, Condemned and Silent Hill are all far scarier when you take on the role of observer with no direct control over your fate.
This is the one thing I personally disagree with. For me, games have been and will always be much more scary than movies.

In a game, you are the one who has to walk down the dark hallway with (or without) a flashlight and a gun. You are the one who has to slowly open the creaky door. You are the one who has to scan every dark hiding place for scary things that want to hurt you. You are the one who has to quickly react when something jumps out at you, and you are the one who dies if you don't. In a movie, you're just watching somebody else do all these things and you're not the one who suffers the consequences.

Games add so much more tension to the experience by putting you (in)directly into it.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I can definitely see what you mean there, Ms. Arendt. I enjoyed playing the first two, sure, but the fighting drew my attention away from most of everything else. After playing God of War and watching my roomie play it, I can honestly say I'll probably watch someone else play the game before I decide whether or not to take a stab at this one,
especially considering the frustrating cliffhanger ending of God of War II.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm co-oping this game with my brother, he plays some, I play some, it's like a movie ...when you're not doing the sex scene for him wha-zam!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hum... when a game becomes more fun to watch then to play... shouldn't it have been a movie?
Personally, I don't think more fun to watch then play is a good thing for a game. Of course I'm sure its a blast but games really need to have some hook to make you watch and then want to play. That's kind of the point of interactive media and its also good business sense(friends watching = new sales).

technotica

May 4, 2006
Me and one of my bestest of buds used to get new RPG's every week or so, and sit passing the controller back and fourth every day till we finished them. It was great cuz on some games where you have to backtrack outa dungeons or if I got stuck, i could just lie in my bed and throw the controller to him for a few hours. Id generally let him do all the dirty work, but when your playing from 7AM to sometime later that afternoon you tend to get tired and just wanna let someone else play so you can watch the story unfold.

\Lunar (SilverStar on Sega-CD) was the first where we enacted this tradition, then Dark Wizard I believe, next the FF games 4(2)6(3) and 7. as well as Dune-Battle for Arakis(Genesis/RTS), Ogre Battle and the Lufia games to name a few. If one of us played through a part w/o the other someone would be pissed... fun times.

Sadly he is no more, as he has moved on in life and left me here to play games by my lonesome.

On a side note, I will always think of Breath of Fire 1/2 as having Metallica/Black Album as the soundtrack.

no one really

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not going to play it, Im not going to watch someone playing it and I'm not even going to watch reveiws of it.

Flight said:
considering the frustrating cliffhanger ending of God of War II.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
Huh, someone read my mind and put it in a news thingy.

At any rate, while the game is beautiful, it is just the same old stuff, in a way it's annoying that a lot of God of War players insult dynasty warriors players, despite them basically doing the same thing, and unless you intend to do the replays, the game probably isn't worth all 60 dollars for only 9 hours of pretty, but otherwise thumb breaking game play.....IMO.

Setsuhen

Apr 14, 2009
I love watching LP's and the like. Sometimes there's a game that I don't want to play for some reason, or I can't play, but something about it makes me want to watch it unfold (the plot most of the time). Watching someone play a game can end up being much more enjoyable than playing the game yourself.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Oddly enough, I'm expecting this to link me to an article that says "I don't own a PS3".
That's the very reason I'm not going to buy GoWIII (even though if I do gamestop will give me a used game at 50% off!!!) and I still haven't finished the second one, too many puzzles not enough tearing archers in half

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
I disagree. For me, when playing a (good) horror game, it is far more terrifying to be in control. The mix of dedication to finishing the section with absolute terror fucks with my mind. I think that different people just feel different ways.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
God of war has ALWAYS been a game i've had little to no interest in. Oh look, swingin' yer doohicky about like a... doohicky swinger.

Yay.

I'd much rather slowly acquire resources and terraform planets while tasking my scientists with developing a new class of death-ray equipped starship.

And then annhilate kratos from orbit as I glass one of hundreds of pathetic little worlds.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
I have found that since I cannot afford a PS3 or XBox, I've been watching playthroughs on Youtube (like FF13). Can't say that I really miss not playing the games--saves me time and I get to see the story and pretty graphics.