Why is LOZ OOT more memorable than LOZ TP

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
mik1 said:
What made ocarina of time the great game it is? Twilight princess improved so much on so many aspects. Yet no one talks about it any more than a great game. No matter what kind of fanboy you are everyone agrees OOT is an amazing game. Very confusing.

I gave this some serious thought and the best reason I could think was the simple newness of it.

Any other ideas?
The "newness" of it? Huh? Do you mean that Twilight Princess is a newer game, so some would be inherently biased against it (a greatly exaggerated phenomenon), or that the redux of Ocarina is "new," and that people tend to prefer the new to the old (also an exaggerated phenomenon, and one that generally excludes intellectuals)?

Zelda 2, fun as it was, was essentially a side-scrolling action game with ultra-simple fighting mechanics, an RPG-style overworld and experience/magic points. In other words, it wasn't wholly original. A Link to the Past was, overall, a return to the form of the original. The dark world mechanic was brilliant (though it was pulled off much better in the tragically flawed Metroid Prime 2: Echoes), but most of the weapons and equipment were unnecessary or were based on the items from the original. Wind Waker did some very original things with the art style and the means of travel, but some poor design decisions (the exact same fighting mechanics as Ocarina with a couple of parry maneuvers thrown in, the deletion of 2 dungeons, the constant breaking up of gameplay to change the wind's direction, the fetch quest at the end) marred the experience. And what do every one of these games have in common, beyond their delivery of a somewhat unique yet quintessentially Zelda experience? They were all very very cartoonish in art style and in execution. Unfortunately, Twilight Princess, one of the only 2 Zelda games that has a more adult art style, also suffers from constant retreading. I felt it as I played the game. Forest temple, then fire/volcano temple, then water temple. Some form of Gohma. Some form of a "Giant hands" boss. Hookshot. Boomerang. Bombs (please don't suggest that "water bombs" are original).

Ever since a Link To the Past, all console Zeldas have had some degree of a two-world mechanic. Link to the Past had the light/dark worlds, Ocarina had the 2 Hyrules separated by 7 years of war and disaster and featured 2 links of 2 different ages. Wind Waker buried Hyrule under the ocean and forced you to visit the forgotten land. Twilight Princess had...the twilight realm, which aside from the Zant level was not terribly interesting and was very repetitive (and the wolf gameplay, cool as it was conceptually, felt antiquated the very first time I played the game). In my opinion and apparently those of many others, Ocarina's two world dynamic was more compelling and more fun, especially when the game required you to interact with both worlds to complete an objective. Ocarina was also Zelda's answer to Mario's leap into 3D, which (though it took a few years) dragged the rest of gaming with it. Ocarina represents to many, myself included, as the biggest leap forward yet experienced in the Zelda franchise, as well as the embodiment of everything they were trying to do previously. To us, it's the pinnacle. A very good analogy would be Resident Evil 4, compared to every one of the other games, remakes and all.

But what's interesting is that the last time I played these games I found that I enjoyed Twilight Princess, overall, more than I did Ocarina. I'm certain that I've never enjoyed any game quite as much as I enjoyed my first run-through of Ocarina back in (was it '97?). But the last time I played through both games, I enjoyed the newer one more. I'm not sure if it had a more modern polish and so seemed less obsolete, or if it was just a more thorough experience, or if my feelings at the time were incidental. Doesn't matter. I'll be playing through both of them again, and possibly the entire (console) series, before Skyward Sword arrives.

ERROR989

May 14, 2011
Time for a mini rant!

TP (and MM) had more immersion to me.The characters were, well, characterised, as opposed to the generic characters in OOT. The stories are better, too. The only thing that keeps OOT running is nostalgia. Take that away, and you have a bland experience all around. Why it gets the most praise makes my head explode. Sure, it was innovative, but it has been improved on since it's release.

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
Twilight Princess was definitely good, but at times it didn't feel quite as smooth as OoT somehow. Did anyone else feel that Lake Hylia was sort of weirdly closed-off?

Plus, OoT just felt like a fantastically classic good vs. evil struggle to me, probably because I was about 11 years old at the time. That final climb up the stairs to Ganondorf's chamber...

"These toys are too much for you. I demand you return them to me!"

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Dragonpit said:
Infernai said:
Orcarina of Time was made first. That simple.
Under that light, that would all this kind of pointless, wouldn't it?
Well, Nintendo fans are nothing if not Nostalgic. So, if someone asks why an earlier game in the series is more well remembered then a later one, then the answer is kind of obvious. Besides, most of the Zelda fans i've met played Orcarina of Time before the others.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
OOT is the most memorable because it was the first 3D Zelda in addition to basically setting the bar for action adventure games. I don't understand why people think it's the best one though. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker had waaaaaaaay better items and bosses.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I loved the gamecube version of Twilight Princess, possibly more than I did Ocarina of Time, yet still, when pressed, will include OOT above TP on any 'best of' list. Why? Probably just what it did for me- without OOT, I probably would never have been sucked into the gaming world at all- the hours I shoved into it, replaying, exploring...

So, yeah, in my case it's all to do with the timing.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I say it's a great game, but a bad Zelda game. The temples and bosses are all among the worst in the 3D games. The rest of the game, though? Awesome.
I actually thought the bosses were pretty well executed. ...except for Ghoat, who was one of the most broken bosses I've ever fought in my life. I mean the guy poses no threat what so ever once you figure out that you can just stand by the door and shoot him every time he runs by. And don't anyone DARE tell my that I'm playing it wrong!! Why the fuck should I do it the hard way when I can do it the easy way. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that, because you can do that, it makes the boss pretty freaken' broken.
And I have beaten him the hard way, so shut up.

OT: I imagine it's mostly nostalgia. I found both OoT and TP had their own charms and I can't really say which one I enjoyed more. I know which one I played more, that's OoT, but that's incidental.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if I did have one complaint about TP, it was that the bosses seemed a little on the easy side. I know for more than one of them when I was just getting into the rythem of the fight, I'd deliver the next blow and BOOM it'd be over; which would leave me thinking "What? Already? And I was just starting to have fun."

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Ocarina of Time bought action-adventure mechanics into 3D (and, unless there's some obscure title that did it first, it invented lock-on), so it had a first-mover advantage. Also, for all its tightened elements and design improvements, TP was also loaded down with bug-catching segments, spates of meh-ish minigames (flying collecting sections, I'm looking at you), and parts that were essentially a generic fantasy game with the Zelda name.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Easily Forgotten said:
I want a Master Quest of MM. Now that would be a beastly game.
There's only one possible response I can give to this.

Crono1973 said:
Any of you notice that TP had no magic meter?
Yeah, I was actually really pissed that there weren't any Fire Arrows.
canadamus_prime said:
DustyDrB said:
I say it's a great game, but a bad Zelda game. The temples and bosses are all among the worst in the 3D games. The rest of the game, though? Awesome.
I actually thought the bosses were pretty well executed. ...except for Ghoat, who was one of the most broken bosses I've ever fought in my life. I mean the guy poses no threat what so ever once you figure out that you can just stand by the door and shoot him every time he runs by. And don't anyone DARE tell my that I'm playing it wrong!! Why the fuck should I do it the hard way when I can do it the easy way. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that, because you can do that, it makes the boss pretty freaken' broken.
You... You didn't get bored waiting for Ghoat to come around the entire track every time for a shot? I realize you said you beat him with the Goron Mask as well, but shit man, you have patience.
canadamus_prime said:
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if I did have one complaint about TP, it was that the bosses seemed a little on the easy side. I know for more than one of them when I was just getting into the rythem of the fight, I'd deliver the next blow and BOOM it'd be over; which would leave me thinking "What? Already? And I was just starting to have fun."
Yeah, TP's bosses were stupidly easy... Like OOT's bosses >_>. Honestly, all the bosses (except the Lakebed Temple boss. Wow, really Miyamoto? You give us an underwater boss without an item like the quick Zora Mask?)were slow as hell and basically gave you a heads up whenever they were about to attack AFTER they stood in an awkward position to charge up their attack.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I honestly like TP more than OOT. With Ocarina, it's mostly nostalgia and the fact that everyone played OOT when they were kids. It's something pretty much everyone shares. For me, it all comes down to TP's story. I thought it was superior in every way to OOT's.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Aerograt said:
canadamus_prime said:
You... You didn't get bored waiting for Ghoat to come around the entire track every time for a shot? I realize you said you beat him with the Goron Mask as well, but shit man, you have patience.
Patience? Well sure I guess, but really it only took him about 10-15 seconds to run the entire length of the track.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
A Link to the Past for me is the best Zelda Game ever, despite the fact that i played Link's Awakening before ever playing A Link to the Past :D

Cant say much about the latter ones, i stopped playing Zelda Titles after OoT really. But if i go by those 3 Games i have played, well, A Link to the Past was the most memorable and enjoyable for me.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Minor Hijack before I get back on topic. About a week ago, one of my close friends moved in with me and he had the brilliant idea of playing through ALL of the Zelda games in order of release (including handhelds). We have most of the Zelda games between the 2 of us, only missing a couple.

We finished the original Zelda a few nights ago, and I firmly hold the belief that you must be fucking clairvoyant to beat that goddamned game. Not only that, but that game was never beaten prior to the internet existing. Period. Not possible.

About 30 minutes ago, we beat Zelda 2. I think it probably took around 25 to 30 hours. I also firmly believe that this game has never been beaten, ever, prior to a a little while ago ago when we just finished it. I know, I know, "...but look at all the youtube videos...". Shut your fucking face. Never been beaten. I don't care what the internet or anyone else says, that game is impossible, except for the fact that we barely scraped past the last dungeon by kinda glitching an enemy into some bricks. IMPOSSIBLE. And it was fucking legitimate; no emulators, no save states, none of that. Just grinding through bullshit.

OT: While both OOT and TP are fine games, everyone here is missing the REAL gem.

A Link to the Past is by FAAAAAAAAAR the best Zelda game...

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Infernai said:
Dragonpit said:
Infernai said:
Orcarina of Time was made first. That simple.
Under that light, that would all this kind of pointless, wouldn't it?
Well, Nintendo fans are nothing if not Nostalgic. So, if someone asks why an earlier game in the series is more well remembered then a later one, then the answer is kind of obvious. Besides, most of the Zelda fans i've met played Orcarina of Time before the others.
Even if you say that, I've had a few experiences before where the sequals were more remerable than the original that was its basis. Mass Effect 2 was a prime example, mainly because of its darker and more serious undertones. Jak 2 was the same way, since the main character openly spoke and starred in an equally more serious story than the one in Jak and Daxter. But then, it might be because these sequals may have been able to summon some of that very same nostalgia.

[sub][sub]Huh? What? Oh, right...[/sub][/sub]

OT: Both games were pretty memorable in their own ways, but I find that Twilight Princess stands out in my own mind. You know you're in Hyrule (nostalgia right there), but some of the newer touches stood out, especially Link's little traveling companion, Midna.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Snake Plissken said:
Minor Hijack before I get back on topic. About a week ago, one of my close friends moved in with me and he had the brilliant idea of playing through ALL of the Zelda games in order of release (including handhelds). We have most of the Zelda games between the 2 of us, only missing a couple.

We finished the original Zelda a few nights ago, and I firmly hold the belief that you must be fucking clairvoyant to beat that goddamned game. Not only that, but that game was never beaten prior to the internet existing. Period. Not possible.

About 30 minutes ago, we beat Zelda 2. I think it probably took around 25 to 30 hours. I also firmly believe that this game has never been beaten, ever, prior to a a little while ago ago when we just finished it. I know, I know, "...but look at all the youtube videos...". Shut your fucking face. Never been beaten. I don't care what the internet or anyone else says, that game is impossible, except for the fact that we barely scraped past the last dungeon by kinda glitching an enemy into some bricks. IMPOSSIBLE. And it was fucking legitimate; no emulators, no save states, none of that. Just grinding through bullshit.

OT: While both OOT and TP are fine games, everyone here is missing the REAL gem.

A Link to the Past is by FAAAAAAAAAR the best Zelda game...
...Except that isn't the point of the forum... ^_^;

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Veldie said:
So the fact I played both back to back before has nothing to due with it im blinded by nastalgia oh wait im not OoT is a better game i enjoyed every aspect of it alot more. Twlight Prensse bored me and did nothing new that was worth really anything all the new weapons where bad or just somthing thats been done before.
I'm really not interested in a flame war. All I know is that fond memories of previous things blind the views of the new one. Sort of like how I thought that the first LittleBigPlanet was better than the second. even though the second had everything in the first, and much more. The reason it doesn't have the same impact is because it lost it's "wow" factor. the new installment felt more like an expansion pack rather than a sequel. that is why Twilight Princess seems worse, because its not new, its staying alive based on innovations made long ago (which can be said about basically every major Nintendo game now, but w/e)

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
1. It came first.

2. Nostalgia.

3. Twilight Princess wasn't that good.

One day the Wind Waker fans will summon forth a great deluge and destroy all you Ocarina of Time fans.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I figured OoT was to Zelda what FF7 was to the FF series. A dramatic move from sprite to 3D that heralded a new direction for the franchise.

Nostalgia tells me Link to the Past and FF6 were better, I played them at a very impressionable age.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
On an unrelated note, I think LoZ: A Link to the Past and LoZ: The Minish Cap were the betters of the Zelda games. Never got into OoT while playing it. I dunno, it really didn't interest me that much.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Nostalgia. Look at the average age of gamers who praise OOT and your see an odd trend.