why is Origin= Bad...Steam =Good?

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Because nobody likes EA, for good reason.

And because Origin is Steam with unnecessary* DRM and less good functionality.

*key word

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I remember playing Counter strike back in sixth grade when steam was first released, it wasn't always as streamlined as it is (and it's not exactly the most stable platform anyway). However over time steam incorporated the store and improved on bugs.

But the biggest leap forward for steam has come in the past couple years. Offering a large variety of games and steam has always been a huge supporter of the 'indie' community meaning they'll keep attracting developers to them as well.

not to mention their deals, let's say I wanted to pick up Duke Nukem. would I buy it for the xbox at around $20 (which is still much lower than the $60 price tag it used to wear) or from steam for $5?

I don't know how they did it but Valve seems to have turned "doing right by your fans" into a legitimate business venture.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
As I'm not big on PC gaming I don't really know. However, I'd guess that it's less about Origin itself as a concept. It's good that Steam has competition, they really shouldn't just be allowed to corner the market in digital distribution like they have done. It's more about the way EA have behaved in regards to Origin. Insisting that every game they make is an Origin exclusive on the PC in order to force people to get it whether they like it or not, and trying to piss all over Valve's creation every chance they get. EA needs to learn that there's a difference between being competitive, and being petulant, because their attitude isn't doing them or their developers any favors at the moment.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I don't have problems with Origin, nor do I like it. I don't know, because I've never used it. I'd rather manage all my PC games in one place, so I'd like to stay with Steam only.

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a Mass Effect fan, so maybe I'll have to install it to play ME3. I would like to play DA2 but I probably won't get it as long as it's not on Steam (so yeah, EA lost a sale here). Basically there's no other EA game that I want to play other than ME3, so I'll probably play it and then uninstall Origin. Or get ME3 for PS3, still thinking about it. I'd rather play it on PC, but the slight inconvenience of having to install Origin just for one game changes the balance.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I'll put it simply, origin, is unneeded in this world it was created in an attempt to compete with steam, now it does that in the stupidest ways. for instance origin sales charge you sales tax on top of their product price, which steam does not, I mean sure if you were ordering a physical copy or something that would make sense but it cost me $67 to buy the digital version of SWTOR off there, due to nearly $8 in tax, that's retarded, nothing changed hands, That is excessively expensive for the base level purchase of a game period, that is the price of the starcraft 2 deluxe edition before taxes... but the only reason I didn't refuse to buy that game through them(only way I could buy it without having to spend money to go to a store and back to buy it) is because it's like the only product they seem to sell through the origin store online which I don't hafta have their bs origin client running on my computer to play.

I mean this competition would be great y'know if it were competition, y'know with price wars and such, but it isn't, steam has REALLY GOOD PRICES and always will, origin has a sale now and again, on a small number of games, most of which you can get elsewhere anyway. Only a handfull of exclusives, and no products from any other company, just EA, Steam has games from valve, and pretty much everyone else, including a metric fuckton of indie games, and so many games under $5 that one could easily go years without spending more than $100 on games, and that's not even counting the ludicrously good sale prices on bundles, I mean when you take a game bundle which is already a sweet deal saving you a ton of money on all the games, and chop the price by 75% you are getting games that normally cost like $40 for like $3, it's crazy.

So yeah Origin is bad because of how much of a pathetic failure it is, it's yet another development by EA to try and compete in an arena in which their opponent is wielding a high tech arsenal with grenade launchers autotargeting railguns, and an impenetrable suit of armour, and EA comes along all cocky with it's tinfoil hat, and array of kitchen utensils and starts screaming and swearing at Valve taunting them... Valve can just ignore them and still win, this isn't a competition, this is a horrible failure that shouldn't have ever been conceived.

It's not even fun to watch, frankly it kinda hurts, like a dull pain behind my teeth, like watching a fight between a pitbull and a jack russel terrier puppy. Who the hell would even even try to encourage that?

/end text wall

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Well, completely ignoring the fact it's EA and all that user agreement bolloks...

WHY, oh WHY, would I want to pay £20 for Mirrors Edge/Dead Space/Burnout Paradise and then have to spend a day downloading it, HAVE to be online while I'm playing them, when I can go down to ANY shop and get an infinitely more convenient used copy for around £5?

Versus Steam who do completely ridiculous deals, hell take Skyrim as an example, it was sitting on £24 in the Steam sale and it was out well, a MONTH (give or take a week).

*Extra Thought*
Why the hell do they charge SO much, they haven't needed to make a disc/box/little piece of paper with my 504 character registration code/soul capturing device/spyware/gps locator ANY of their usual stuff, all I'm doing is borrowing some bandwidth for a few hours? Put the price down to something REASONABLE, standard PC release price of £30 please.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
I think its because of awful DRM and the fact that its only EA games. So that also means Valve has indie games from small devs.

Jun 11, 2008
We don't trust EA with our privacy, Steam was hated much more than Origin, Origin is new and has a shitty library but they seem to working on that, it lacks many of the community features of Steam which also lacks features compared to Xfire. All in all it is Steam from a less trust worthy company but several years back.

I mean it doesn't even uninstall games. I had to manually uninstall and then reinstall BF3 after it did not install properly as it kept telling me I didn't have SP2 for XP. The customer service that I experienced while trying to remedy this was quite slow to come

So yeah it is Steam -1.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Because if I can't log into Steam for whatever reason(I'm poor, there's a relatively good chance that my internet could be shut off), I can still play my games in offline mode. This is not true for Origin.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Lagao said:
Steam = Constant updates, Constant Discounts (Daily/Mid-Week/Weekend), Friendly, and Fast customer service.
It took Steam nearly three days to respond to my email about resetting my password. After that it took another two days to actually work. Why is their no "I forgot my password" link to click on. Hell even Origin has that.
Considering it only works about 200 people on valve(IIRC) I think they responded to you pretty fast. And most peoples emails are quite frankly shitty protected so a "I forgot my password" button could go wrong quite fast.

Phenakist said:
*Extra Thought*
Why the hell do they charge SO much, they haven't needed to make a disc/box/little piece of paper with my 504 character registration code/soul capturing device/spyware/gps locator ANY of their usual stuff, all I'm doing is borrowing some bandwidth for a few hours? Put the price down to something REASONABLE, standard PC release price of £30 please.
Someone mentioned this in another thread, the reason why the digital copies cost the same(if not more) as the retailer copies ones are because for some reason developers are afraid to upset them and cause them to pull their game off the shelf.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
because 99% of people are valve fanboys, i have 3 times as many EA games as i do valve ones, and i like them more then valve, valve is overpraised, though bungie in my mind is the the overall best when it comes to fanbase developer.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Many don't hate Origin and don't like Steam. It's just that those who do hate Origin are more vocal about it and attract more attention. It's not as bad as you think it is, especially if you believe EA's numbers about Origin.

Anyway, in my opinion, Origin isn't bad. I don't hate it. It's just not good enough for me to like it. It doesn't do anything better than Steam and Steam does a few things better. There's nothing that makes me want to use Origin besides some exclusive games but that's not enough for me. EA has to add a few features which Steam doesn't have, features which make gamers say things like "Wow, that's really neat and useful" and not "No, EA forces me to use Origin in order to play this game". That's the wrong approach.
Steam has been here for seven years, it has proven itself, many people like me have a ton of games on Steam and we don't like and won't change the distribution platform just because of a few games.
Valve pioneered in the digital distribution platform for games seven years ago. It was crap back then but they learned and got better. EA had seven years to study Valve and Steam and what do they do? They just make a mediocre copy. Like I said, it's not bad but I see no reason to use Origin over Steam.

Also, whether you like it or not, reputation plays a big part in this. Valve is a trusted and loved developer. EA has a very bad history of eating and destroying good gaming companies and game franchises. They have also done good things but for many gamers, the bad things overshadow the good things. You reap what you sow.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
RaNDM G said:
It's EA's way of monitoring their audience. Origin basically takes the information on your computer, operating system, and the hardware and software you have installed, and gives it to other companies for marketing. Current games that release on the PC require you to have an Origin account to play them. And you can't play games offline anymore, regardless of whether you own retail or digital.

If it were optional, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The fact that EA wants to make this permanent is what presses my buttons.
But that is exactly what steam does so why is origin a problem. As for the spyware thing once it all came out and they changed the terms of service it's not as bad as everyone makes out and even if they were finding out what operating system pc gamers are using most that could help them focus there efforts on optimising future games for the most popular OS

nackertash

Feb 14, 2009
Simple, there is no evidence that Valve are evil, there are spades of evidence that EA are evil.
There is evidence that Valve are pushing gaming forward as a medium, There is evidence that EA are strangling gaming and squeezing every last dollar of your cash monies out of the medium.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Because of their terrible track record of banning people from the games they've purchased due to silly as hell reasons? Probably has something to do with it.

kiri2tsubasa said:
To break it down simply, this is the internet. You are required to hate EA and any/everything that they do. You are also supposed to love Steam unconditionally. However their are flaws with this thinkig. For example.

Lagao said:
Steam = Constant updates, Constant Discounts (Daily/Mid-Week/Weekend), Friendly, and Fast customer service.
It took Steam nearly three days to respond to my email about resetting my password. After that it took another two days to actually work. Why is their no "I forgot my password" link to click on. Hell even Origin has that.
... dude, they have one. I used it to reset my password.