Why Little Pony?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
I'm relatively new to the whole internet scene, and something's been bothering me: A lot of people seem to like My Little Pony. I've only seen a few of the early 80s episodes when I was younger, when everything was covered in syrup and song-and-dance numbers. I'm going to assume that the MLP stuff I've seen online is from some sort of new series, but I still have to wonder: Why is My little Pony so popular. I might check it out myself if only someone could tell me where I can find an episode and whether or not there are horrible corny musical bits. Can someone fill me in?
Use the search bar please. We see this thread here a lot on the Escapist and it would be easier if people would search for threads that ask the same question than create a whole new one every few days.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

Aidinthel said:
Easton Dark said:
By my count, there's only 3 musical numbers in the show so far. If you're still kind of interested but want to avoid them, Winter Wrap-Up in Episode 11, Art of the Dress in episode 14, and The Gala in Episode 26.

Although Winter Wrap-Up is not corny. It fucking rocks.
...? What about Giggle at the Ghostie, Pinkie's Cupcake song, Evil Enchantress and the deliberately bad routine from the settler ponies episode?

And yes, Winter Wrap-up is excellent.
Whaaaa!? Pinkies song in the settler pony episode drives at least 20% of bronies to mangasm.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Tucker154 said:
Kipohippo said:
It's a show for little girls that people try to justify for some odd reason. Tell me what is mature about ponies with tatoos of rainbows on thier buts prancing around singing about friendship. I mean, holy shit, other kids shows make fun of it for gods fucking sake.
Who tries to justify it? We all know its a show made for little girls. To bad they failed at making it a hit on its targeted audience. Its just I fun show that as soon as you start watching it (and if your like me, the 1 hr after he sit down staring at nothing, just trying to figure out why the hell you enjoy it).
I think you're trying to justify it now,

But that got me thinking, arguing on the internet over your own personal taste is just unbelievably stupid. It's not like a regular argument where you're trying to convince a conclusion. Will anything ever said to you stop you from liking this show?

To me it seems like

"I like ponies"
"Oh-ho! I think not! *reasons*"

Best you can do is recommend it, but do you really give a shit about people you don't know who disagree on something like this?

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Kipohippo said:
DJDarque said:
Despite what other people might try to tell you, liking My Little Pony does not make you less of a dude. It has great writing, great animation, and excellent character. And it makes me happy. Do you need another reason than that?
As soon as you press play, you lose your mancard.
So wait. Women are allowed to like guy things, but men aren't allowed to like girl things? That logic is flawed my friend.

Edit: Just saw your apology post. I'm going to leave the text there, for other people who try to use that logic.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010

Honestly though, this is getting a little rediculous with the pony threads.

To anyone who's curious about the show:
Go watch it!!
Stop posting threads asking about the show, go and form your own opinion.
Kipohippo said:
DJDarque said:
Despite what other people might try to tell you, liking My Little Pony does not make you less of a dude. It has great writing, great animation, and excellent character. And it makes me happy. Do you need another reason than that?
I'm a 4th degree black-belt who can break cinder blocks with his hands, I'm pretty sure I have enough mancards that this show doesn't affect me.

TheKittyMan

Feb 21, 2010
kortin said:
Kipohippo said:
DJDarque said:
So wait. Women are allowed to like guy things, but men aren't allowed to like girl things? That logic is flawed my friend.
Double standards like that have always been around...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
That's more effective than the "Oh this thread again" picture I was going to post.

OT: Why is it overly popular? Well, for one thing it the major internet meme right now. That will die down. Why will there still be a fanbase after another meme grips the internet? Its actually a good show in my opinion. Still, I'm getting tired of seeing it on the Escapist forums...

So, as Cellphone stated, please use the search bar people!

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Baneat said:
Tucker154 said:
Kipohippo said:
It's a show for little girls that people try to justify for some odd reason. Tell me what is mature about ponies with tatoos of rainbows on thier buts prancing around singing about friendship. I mean, holy shit, other kids shows make fun of it for gods fucking sake.
Who tries to justify it? We all know its a show made for little girls. To bad they failed at making it a hit on its targeted audience. Its just I fun show that as soon as you start watching it (and if your like me, the 1 hr after he sit down staring at nothing, just trying to figure out why the hell you enjoy it).

But that got me thinking, arguing on the internet over your own personal taste is just unbelievably stupid. It's not like a regular argument where you're trying to convince a conclusion. Will anything ever said to you stop you from liking this show?

To me it seems like

"I like ponies"

Best you can do is recommend it, but do you really give a shit about people you don't know who disagree on something like this?
I'm just replying to people because debating is fun. It's even more fun when half the people you're debating with are horrible at it.

Shieldage

May 20, 2010
I watch the original series because Dream Valley is spectacularly dangerous.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?489807-Where-I-Watch-My-Little-Pony

This guy spent months watching both series of my little pony and, although the ponies generally have a live and let live policy, almost nothing else is calm and peaceful. To quote:

--
So, to sum up:

3 attempt to destroy Dream Valley (Tirac, Porcina, the Gloom Volcano witches).
3 attempts to enslave the ponies (Katrina, the scree, the duchess. Arguably Grogar).
2 attempt to destroy Dream Valley in order to rule it (Squirk, nazi penguins).
2 attempts to conquer Dream Valley (Grogar, the flories).
2 attempts to drain the life out of the ponies (Arabus, Somnambula).
One attempt to hick all the world's magic (Lavan).
And so much more.
Harmless lovey-dovey cartoon my ass. Dream Valley is constantly out to kill you. It's like Australia, Sunnydale and Ravenloft met at an orgy, and spawned this abberation, then woke up in the morning and freaked out when they realized Care-A-Lot and Disneyland had also participated
--

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Kipohippo said:
Ahh fuck, sorry guys. Withdrawl anger bouts. Happens to the best of us. Fucking opiates. Ill try it tomorrow when I'm hopefully in a better mood. It takes me a while to realize it's the withdrawl talking. Sorry.
Ok mate, I told you (or was that in another thread?) that we would love and tolerate you until you were either converted or have a legitimate reason to not like it.

TheKittyMan

Feb 21, 2010
AssassinJoe said:
I'm a 4th degree black-belt who can break cinder blocks with his hands, I'm pretty sure I have enough mancards that this show doesn't affect me.
and even if you didn't, liking a show doesn't mean anything. People can not like the show, fine. I know people who didn't enjoy powerpuff girls and it blew my mind then, too, but it doesn't change that I liked it.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Redlin5 said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
That's more effective than the "Oh this thread again" picture I was going to post.

OT: Why is it overly popular? Well, for one thing it the major internet meme right now. That will die down. Why will there still be a fanbase after another meme grips the internet? Its actually a good show in my opinion. Still, I'm getting tired of seeing it on the Escapist forums...

So, as Cellphone stated, please use the search bar people!
Almost all bronies are also tired of seeing this question popping up as well :p

TheKittyMan

Feb 21, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I disagree. Yes, it's a meme right now, but that doesn't change the genuine love for the show that's being brought to the forefront thanks to its' meme status. I mean, just look at some of the things created? The 3D rendering of pinkie pie? That's pretty awesome and the community getting shout outs like naming the DJ PON3 and mentioning bronies is showing that it really knows how to massage the audience the right way. I think it's less of a meme, but just a general "holy crap we can like this publicly" in a broad sense.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Kipohippo said:
JaceArveduin said:
Kipohippo said:
Ahh fuck, sorry guys. Withdrawl anger bouts. Happens to the best of us. Fucking opiates. Ill try it tomorrow when I'm hopefully in a better mood. It takes me a while to realize it's the withdrawl talking. Sorry.
Ok mate, I told you (or was that in another thread?) that we would love and tolerate you until you were either converted or have a legitimate reason to not like it.
So what, once i watch it and either like or dislike it you wont love me/tolerate me anymore? Lol.
Hmm, good point, there's a reason I don't write important speeches. Let me rephrase that appropriately:

"that we would love and tolerate you even while you are undecided, and when you finally decide with legitimate reasons, we will still love and tolerate you, though we will leave you in peace from our antics due to mutual respect."

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
I wondered too, so I watched it - its good, the show is "self-aware" in that it knows it's sweet enough to give you a cavity, so they play with that. It's not a 30 min toy commercial like alot of cartoons are nowadays.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Bags159 said:
Baneat said:
Tucker154 said:
Kipohippo said:

To me it seems like

"I like ponies"

I'm just replying to people because debating is fun. It's even more fun when half the people you're debating with are horrible at it.
But, you can't debate personal taste, there is no objective good in any media, or even any strong arguments to suggest that there are objective merits. It's so pointless

TheKittyMan

Feb 21, 2010
gideonkain said:
I wondered too, so I watched it - its good, the show is "self-aware" in that it knows it's sweet enough to give you a cavity, so they play with that. It's not a 30 min toy commercial like alot of cartoons are nowadays.
Although Hasbro is still pumping out merchandise that's like the 80s stuff like crazy.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Can't blame them for trying to make money on this, it's what business due, but at least they are basing the toys off of a quality product.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I don't see why it may bother you, but I would try it then we can bring out the welcome cake.